Australian Wild Fires

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Australian Wild Fires

Post by the_alias » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:23 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/fe ... -melbourne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At least 14 people are believed to have died in Australian wildfires raging across the south-east of the country, with unconfirmed reports that the death toll could climb beyond 40.

A deadly combination of scorching temperatures and gale-force winds saw out-of-control bushfires sweeping through parts of New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia.
TGC, Gunslinger, other Ozzies, any local updates?

Stay safe people!
Man is a beast of prey

Indiana

Re: Australian Wild Fires

Post by Indiana » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:28 pm

I think that pretty well sums it up. There has been almost no rainthrough Victoria, NSW and South Australia for months and for the past week the temperatures have sat at about 113F constantly. It's so dry that a warm embrace would ignite the tinder bundle that is rural Victoria, so these arsonist arseholes have had a field day.

These pictures look cute but give you an idea of how hot it is. Koalas usually get their moisture from the leaves they eat, so for them to seek out water into suburbia is a scary thing. This little guy just walked onto someones porch looking for water.

This one approached a group of cyclists
How dry does it have to be for a wild animal to approach people wanting water?

Indiana

Post by Indiana » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:49 pm

Now 25 confirmed dead and the federal governement is looking to send in the army to assit in the firefighting.

USMZ

Post by USMZ » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:57 pm

I am in Lilydale Victoria - we had fires in Coldstream (maybe 10 kms E) and Yarra Glenn (maybe 10 kms N).
Haven't seen any wild life fleeing the fires or begging for water - those pics are amazing.
But had the car packed last night in case we needed to make a quick escape
"There is no substitute for violence of action and volume of fire." Otto Skorzeny.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Wow. This sucks. We got hit pretty hard here in Florida in 2007, and it can get pretty scary very quickly. TGC, GS, Indiana, and all you other Aussies stay safe, mates.
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm on the other side of the country so Godwilling I'll be okay. 8)

Here's more koala photos.

I can't get over the cyclist ones you showed Indiana - like you said it's almost unimaginable. The pics of the koala in the baby bath/sprinkler are of a young'un - possibly an orphan - so I can get my head around it coming in to the backyard because it could smell water (that like you said they don't drink normally at all) but that one accosting the cyclists is an adult. It's just staggering.

Just wait 'til dropbears get thirsty. :shock:

At least South Australia is due for a cool change today - that heatwave they've had? OMG - Residents and firefighters should manage to get a break finally. Buddha's in SA, I hope him and his are okay, I haven't had any contact with him since the first time I lost the 'net. Indiana? Know anything?

What's outrageous is even though SA, VIC and NSW are sweltering through record breaking heatwaves and mad fires FNQLD is under some of the worst flooding on record. It's still raining up there. WTF?

USMZ - Glad you're ready to bug out. That's smart money. Are you taking the stay and fight option at all? Remember, what they say... If you're going to go, go early! Good luck dude, prayers and best wishes.

No worries DTOM, we'll all be okay - we have to - we wouldn't be all able to stay at your house if we died in a fire., now would we? :wink:

Last one there has to share a bed with Kodibear.

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Update: The death toll around Kinglake, Victoria is reportedly up to 40+.
Fires are believed to be deliberately lit (surprise, surprise).
This is fucked. There is a special place in hell reserved for arsonists. :evil:
-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Kaylan

Post by Kaylan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:37 pm

Just woke up and saw the front page of the Sunday Mail - bit of a change from all the flood photos we've had up to now. Hope everyone from down that way is OK, fingers crossed all our Aussies will check in soon.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:26 pm

Cheers for the good wishes, guys. It's really touching that you all stop to think about your mates down under.

It's hot. Daaaamn hot. I'm in Western NSW at the moment, in Wagga Wagga.

It's a fair way away from the fires, but it's tinder-box dry with a hot dry wind blowing across. Lake Albert, just across the way from where my in-laws are, dropped something like 3 feet in one day.

Frankly, that's incredble. It's amazing, talking to some of the blokes at the pub - heaps of farmers are really worried about any sorts of fruit just literally withering on the vine. There's been dead cattle and sheep in some of the fields out near The Rock and around that area, it's just so hot.

As for the Koala's - they usually don't drink at all. They get most of their moisture from the leaves that they eat. For them to swim and take water from strangers is unprecedendted as far as I am aware.
Last edited by TheGunslinger on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:47 pm

TheGunslinger wrote:As for the Koala's - they usually don't drink at all. They get most of their moisture from the leaves that they eat. For them to swim and take water from strangers is unprecedendated as far as I am aware.
True story. Unprecedented is the word. Wild Koalas just. don't. do. this. stuff. ever.

EDIT: The fatalies are currently confirmed at 49. :(
-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

DBG

Post by DBG » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:01 am

Death toll is now at 65 (!) and is likely to rise further.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 485591.htm

Victoria had a few days of 40+ C heat last week so the area is bone dry. Usually fires can be stopped before the towns are hit but this time the Fire brigades were completely overwhelmed. :(

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:13 am

Especially with fire bugs apparently re-lighting the fires that the country bush fire brigade were putting out.

Proper fucking fucked, those fucking fucked fuckers.

To quote my father-in-law, any way.

He's all for giving them a hessian sack, putting them in the line of the bushfire and saying 'good luck'.

can't say I totally disagree.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Indiana

Post by Indiana » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:28 am

TheGunslinger wrote:Especially with fire bugs apparently re-lighting the fires that the country bush fire brigade were putting out.

Proper fucking fucked, those fucking fucked fuckers.

To quote my father-in-law, any way.

He's all for giving them a hessian sack, putting them in the line of the bushfire and saying 'good luck'.

can't say I totally disagree.
Fuck the hessian sack, let them beat out the flames with their hands!!

KeeblerNinjaClan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by KeeblerNinjaClan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:19 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7877178.stm

It's not getting any better. The death toll is pushing 100. Keep checking in with us Aussie guys so we know you are safe.
Bob Brown wrote:"It's a sobering reminder of the need for this nation and the whole world to act and put at a priority our need to tackle climate change," he said.
You've got to be fucking kidding me.
Guns, Gear and Guy stuff
JibbaJabba wrote:Bottom line - you don't want stupid shit happening to you, don't do stupid shit in stupid places at a stupid time.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Hope you aussies are doing good!

My morning newspaper claimed that some other parts of Australia are having floods... that just sucks for a double whammy! :x

It also stated that many of the fire casualties were kids, trapped in stalled cars trying to get away from the fires. So please don't wait too long to bug out, and keep the gas tank full...

...and please let us know if you're OK, so long as you are...
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Casualties are over 100, now.

They knew that they probably would be - quite a few people in the small towns stayed to try and defend their homes, and unforuntately paid the ultimate price.

Man, this sucks. I'm pretty sure most ZS Aussies aren't in small town Victoria, but stay safe everyone nonetheless.

BlackRabbit
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Return of The Living Dead, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead (2004), Planet Terror, Resident Evil 1~3

Post by BlackRabbit » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:30 am

The death toll has now hit 131 - and it's estimated that it's going to get close to 200.

I've spent the day at work thinking about putting up a post on ZS but not having access to the forum from work - Thankyou the_alias for getting the ball rolling.

A few additional pieces of information:

- Kinglake has been pretty much wiped out, Marysville also, along with numerous other houses across the state.

- Additional resources from interstate have been called in for Disaster Victim Identification.

- The army has been called in to assist with cleanup/body recovery.

There's a lot of talk on this site about bugging out - after speaking with my folks about some family friends trapped in their weekend home near Marysville, it really rings home how important it is to be prepared for bushfire emergencies in rural parts of Australia - and to be prepared if you're forced to bug in.
It's gotten to the point where it's simply too late for these people to get out - the roads are all closed so drivers don't get caught in another firestorm. And while they're pretty sure they're going to be safe in their home (they have fresh tank water a some food) they don't know how long they're going to be stuck there. Until the fires are out and the roads are safe to travel, they're trapped.

BR

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Post by Black Sheep » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:20 am

Sorry Aussies, I hope that shit stops.

decept
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Trilogy, Dawn of the dead, Shaun of the dead.

Post by decept » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:06 am

Hey guys...so far the toll now is a comfirmed 134. It is really upsetting to see that almost all of the hundreds of fires still burning were delibrately lit. I have a small BoB myself but i have now sat down with the family to discuss better options. Hope you guys in Vic are trying to stay as safe as you can, and that its over soon. I wouldn't want to be the fuckers lighting it and getting caught by a member of the public. Your in my thoughts guys, and best of luck.

Jimmy

shillard

Post by shillard » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:53 am

All of this has happened before, all of this will happen again.

The casualties are, of course, higher than Ash Wednesday, etc because of the greater population density in the affected areas these days. Interesting to contrast the deaths of those 130+, with the survivors featured on last night's news - who simply got into their cellar, pulled the steel lid over the entry and drank wine until the fire had destroyed their home and moved on.

Seriously, anyone with any sense at all could have seen the inevitability of this - just look how close those houses were built to surrounding bush. Disaster waiting to happen, and blood on the hands of those who built them, lived in them, and allowed them to be built in the first place.
Ewige Blumenkraft!

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:42 am

Continued prayers are with our friends down under. The picture of the koalas my one of my girls cry ... and then she cried harder when I told her that people were setting those fires. My kids really don't like cowards and bullies. Even my 5 year old nearly popped a big kid at church the other day for pushing down a little girl on the playground. Seems they don't want to wait for the grown ups to handle things civilly.

Maybe these arsonists should be turned over to the kids whose lives they are tearing apart. Now that could be a lot more "justice" than they figured on ever having to face.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:43 am

Islam group urges forest fire jihad

* Josh Gordon
* September 7, 2008

AUSTRALIA has been singled out as a target for "forest jihad" by a group of Islamic extremists urging Muslims to deliberately light bushfires as a weapon of terror.

US intelligence channels earlier this year identified a website calling on Muslims in Australia, the US, Europe and Russia to "start forest fires", claiming "scholars have justified chopping down and burning the infidels' forests when they do the same to our lands".

The website, posted by a group called the Al-Ikhlas Islamic Network, argues in Arabic that lighting fires is an effective form of terrorism justified in Islamic law under the "eye for an eye" doctrine.
More http://www.theage.com.au/national/islam ... ml?page=-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Tactical Raccoon
BANNED

Post by Tactical Raccoon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:50 am

little too much of a coincidence after reading that article to be just fowl play.
Forum nazi's control in effect...

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:55 am

Latest number: 171.

:evil:

I hope the arsonists are caught soon.
Mostly not here anymore.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”