Big Africa SHTF Thread

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

What do you think of conflict in Africa?

It doesn't affect me. I couldn't care less.
15%
I do business with Africa, so any instability in the region concerns me.
1%
I have friends in Africa (missionairies; aid workers; residents) and I worry about their safety.
8%
I live in Africa (state country and opinion).
1%
Events in Africa are important as examples of the shit hitting the fan, and I can learn a lot from them.
42%
It's a humanitarian crisis and I am concerned about about civilian suffering.
28%
Other opinion (please state).
5%

Total votes: 735

Okkie

Re: Big Africa SHTF Thread

Post by Okkie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:00 pm

There were miners that were armed with firearms not just with spears etc, footage shows weapons being confiscated after the confrontation, a few days before the event police / security officers were killed by the strikers.

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Somalia: No working government for well over a decade. Various warlords running their own little fiefdoms, Islamic militias doing the same thing only with more violence (politics/religion edited out). No exports to speak of aside from small animals, charcoal and pop (seriously,http://www.npr.org/2012/08/28/160117706 ... tic-region). Then theres my favorite bastard child Somaliland which is a faint glimmer of light in the dark sad little country.

Kenya on its border with Somalia keeps having cross border events depending on if you believe the news Massai tribes and Somali refugees.

Ethiopia has two groups that have probably been surpressed by now the ONLF and OLF (Ogaden National Liberation Front? and the Oromo Liberation Front? cant remember the names right now), neither group particularly cares for the gov't.

Sudan had a civil war in the south for years and the Janjaweed in the west started off as gov't hatchetmen and pastural herders and went nuts.

Lets not forget the revolutions that occured in Northern Africa this year leading to the ouster of corrupt dictators but opening the door for unknowns (devil you do know vs the devil you don't type of deal).
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:14 am

That's a good start to a list. Then there is Central Africa--DRC, ROC, Rwanda/Burundi/Uganda, etc; West Africa from Mauritania to Angola; and Southern Africa including Zimbabwe and SA.

You could spend hours at the State Department of CIA factbooks reading about conflict, corruption, and misery,

I have to wonder: where are the bright spots being reported. A colleague of mine is involved in a program in Kenya that brings children from different tribal backgrounds together in an "Outward Bound" wildernenss education, teambuilding and leadership program. They measue attitudes of inter-ethnic tolerance and acceptance among other things. (I edited the official report.) Then they go back into their commuities with skills and confidence to be opinion leaders and influential in their communities. It looks really interesting and shows clear signs of being effective to counter the effects of the election violence that happened there a couple of years ago.
Mostly not here anymore.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:19 am

Djibouti is nice this time of year if you're looking for bright spots in Somalia's neighbourhood that OTTB mentioned...

Sometimes it helps not to have oil resources and to be within combat air patrol range of the piracy laced Gulf of Aden. Multiple foreign airforce and naval bases provide a good stream of income and relative security.

Source: an Australian taxi driver from Djibouti I shared a cab with last week.

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:23 am

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:Djibouti is nice this time of year if you're looking for bright spots in Somalia's neighbourhood that OTTB mentioned...

Sometimes it helps not to have oil resources and to be within combat air patrol range of the piracy laced Gulf of Aden. Multiple foreign airforce and naval bases provide a good stream of income and relative security.

-
Djibouti also has quite a military of their own, and plenty of contractors running around.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:00 am

Doc Torr wrote:
Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:Djibouti is nice this time of year if you're looking for bright spots in Somalia's neighbourhood that OTTB mentioned...

-
Djibouti also has quite a military of their own, and plenty of contractors running around.
Only one attack helo (which is in storage) according to Wiki but who needs an aero armada of your own when there are allied F16Es and Reaper drones lined up on your international airport's runways? :awesome:

I also noticed according to Wiki they don't standardise on a standard long arm do they? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djiboutian_Army#Small_arms

Other than that they look pretty tight.

I can see why there'd be a lot of PMC activity though, lotta money getting sunk into Djiboutian ports in waters that are piracy central station.
http://somalilandpress.com/djibouti-set ... orts-28377

He said he went back for a holiday a couple of weeks ago and drove his cousin's taxi for shits and giggles or something.
He said he couldn't tell the difference between our night club district/red light district and the one there at one point.
( :lol: or :oops: )

They seem to be doing okay considering thier proximity to instability, decades of war, piracy and poverty. The only negativity towards Djibouti from Somalis I could uncover (in my extensive survey of 1 Australian taxi driver from Somalia) was that Djibouti could be more generous with the cost of thier port facilities when it came to Somali freight. Apparently due to **ahem** circumstances Somali freight mostly gets moved in and out via Ethiopian trucks and Djibouti ports so the feeling is that Djibouti's slice of Somali's pie is unjustly high.

Make of that what you will. :D

-
Last edited by Tetra Grammaton Cleric on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:06 am

As I understand, Djibouti does procurement the cheap way: by buying from out of work mercs and small-scale sell-off from their allies. I've been trying to get work there, but I don't have the right acronyms in file yet.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:21 am

Doc Torr wrote:As I understand, Djibouti does procurement the cheap way: by buying from out of work mercs and small-scale sell-off from their allies. I've been trying to get work there, but I don't have the right acronyms in file yet.
Makes sense, it would appear they've made all the right moves since 2001. Definitely a relative "bright spot"

Also: Go go gadget acronyms. :D

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:25 am

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:As I understand, Djibouti does procurement the cheap way: by buying from out of work mercs and small-scale sell-off from their allies. I've been trying to get work there, but I don't have the right acronyms in file yet.
Makes sense, it would appear they've made all the right moves since 2001. Definitely a relative "bright spot"

Also: Go go gadget acronyms. :D

-
Djibouti has been making the right moves ever since they put massive naval guns on the coast and said very calmly but firmly "Toll please gentlemen." I keep looking into them now and again, incase I ever do get hired, and it's fascinating. They always seem to play their cards well.

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 am

I was stationed in Djibouti for a a year and a half and Tetra and Doc the pair of you are spot on. They know exactly how to play their cards right. Not quite opportunistic but the ruling family are more than willing to think outside the box. When I was there a group tried to form in the northern half of the country against the president, pretty sure he asked for our help and we said no. Realizing that NATO and more specifically the US are a big cash cow they said "Fine we'll do it our own way" and the next week Hind Gunships and advisors were spotted on their airfield; which supposedly is the longest airfield in the air. Long arms and training are not big on Djibouti's list as we were told more than once that the Republican Guard would shoot first and ask questions later, and those are the top of the Armed Forces. The cops carry side arms but more than once I've seen them use 18" billy clubs on people instead. The septic system is shot, there is no set of traffic rules, the locals would cram into minivans with the doors removed and would end up standing in the doors holding onto the roof. The port is supposedly the only natural deep water port in the region which makes it even more attractive. For a while there were union fights between truckers and the railroad companies and train tracks and trucks would get destroyed in the middle of the night. I could go on and on and on.
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Nigerian 'youths executed' in Boko Haram stronghold

Dozens of young men have been shot dead in Nigeria by the military in Maiduguri, residents in the north-eastern city have told the BBC.

An imam told the BBC about 11 youths from his street alone were killed, including four of his own sons.

The alleged extrajudicial executions happened as Amnesty International accused the security forces of abuses in its crackdown on Islamist militants.

A military spokesman in Maiduguri said he was not aware of the incident.

But Lt Col Sagir Musa told the BBC investigations would be made.

Maiduguri is the stronghold of the Islamist militant group Boko Haram, which is fighting to impose Islamic law across Nigeria.

Hundreds of people in northern and central Nigeria have been killed in attacks blamed on the group over the last two years.

On Friday, retired General Mohammed Shuwa - key to crushing Biafran separatists during the brutal three-civil war in the 1960s - was shot by gunmen in his home in Maiduguri.

No-one has claimed responsibility for his killing, but Boko Haram is known for targeted assassinations of those they suspect oppose their views and work with the authorities.

Amnesty International said in a report on Thursday that the security forces have carried out widespread abuses in their campaign against the militants, killing, torturing and burning the houses of innocent civilians. Allegations denied by the military.
Mostly not here anymore.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Goma: M23 rebels capture DR Congo city

Fighters from the M23 rebel group have captured Goma, the main city in resource-rich eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

The rebels met little resistance from the army or UN peacekeepers.

The leaders of DR Congo and Rwanda, Joseph Kabila and Paul Kagame, flew to Uganda for talks, amid claims that Rwanda was backing the rebels.

France called for the UN Security Council to strengthen the peacekeepers' mandate to intervene in the conflict.

Mr Kabila has urged people to "resist" the rebels.

Protesters burnt UN and ruling party property in the north-eastern city of Kisangani, as they vented their fury over the fall of Goma.

The UN said it had received reports that the rebels had abducted women and children from Goma.

Aid agencies say tens of thousands of people have fled their homes in the last five days as conflict escalated.

This is the first time since the war officially ended in 2003 that rebels have entered Goma, raising fears that a wider conflict could reignite.

Some five million people died in the DR Congo war, which dragged in neighbouring states - including Rwanda, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Angola.

Some crowds reportedly shouted "welcome" and "thank you" as M23 leader Sultani Makenga and hundreds of his fighters entered Goma, which has a population of about one million.

A BBC correspondent says a senior rebel commander told him that if the government refused to enter into talks, they would carry on to Bukavu, another major city in eastern DR Congo.

The 22,000-strong UN force in DR Congo, known by the acronym Monusco, did not intervene.

UN spokesman Eduardo del Buey said peacekeepers "cannot substitute" for the national army, adding that the 1,500 UN troops in Goma held their fire because they did not want to risk civilian lives.

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius called for Monusco's mandate to be altered to give it more powers, saying it was "absurd" that the UN force could not stop the rebels.

In a television broadcast, Mr Kabila called on people to defend the country. "DR Congo is today confronted with a difficult situation. When a war is imposed, one has an obligation to resist," he said. "I ask that the entire population defend our sovereignty."
More at the link.
Mostly not here anymore.

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:09 pm

Police chief of Benghazi assasinated. Saw this trend a lot in Iraq. Article said a dozen "security officers" have been killed this year in Benghazi. Link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20424432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three articles on Kenya v Somalia, pretty much boils down to lots of gunplay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20412594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19650148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20393013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Photo Essay in The Atlantic, from Eastern Congo

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012 ... go/100413/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

medic photog

Post by medic photog » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Africa has been on fire for years, I can remember back to times in the 60's when there was a lot going on in the Congo , Angola, Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe. And then the "contractors" were called mercenaries. I worked for an international company that exported to Africa back in the 70's. It's strange to our way of thinking that when a person in some of the countries there was climbing the social ladder, one of their first purchases was a pair of shoes, followed by shoe polish and a radio. If they has all three they were "well o do". We in our Eastern civilized world don't consider that much but then again we can "waste" clean water flushing a toilet and throw away more food scraps in a day than some of these people see on a plate in a week. Now, add that as a baseline to the corrupt politicians and "tribal cleansings" that have been happening since before our time and you'll get a rough idea what's happening there. No, the US news doesn't cover it. Why? Who knows, maybe we have our political fingers in enough other areas to be concerned about Africa.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:08 pm

It got a brief mention in the "Middle East" thread:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p2313090" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... but the French intervention in Mali needs a bit more exposure.

First, a bit of history. Mali is a landlocked sub-Saharan country in West Africa. In the north it's Sahara desert; in the south, tropical. It's dirt poor, with half the population living on US$1.25/day or less. In the 19th Century it was colonised by France, and regained its independence in 1960. France retains close ties with the current democratic Malian government.

In January 2012 Tuareg rebels took control of much of the arid northern part of Mali. This was followed by a short-lived coup d'état over the government's handling of the rebellion; ironically the coup led to the loss of more territory to the rebels, the Tuareg being joined by (and eventually dominated by) Islamist groups.

On the 11th of this month, in response to a request for assistance from Mali, France launched Opération Serval in support of the Malian government, with the declared aim of stopping and ultimately defeating the rebellion.

In general, based on Western European press coverage, the French seen to be doing fairly well. In roughly a fortnight's fighting roughly 3000 French troops have helped the Malian Army (itself under 8000 strong; Mali is a country of 14 million) push the rebels out of pretty much all major Malian towns and cities. (They're helped by the fact the Tuareg rebels have switched sides.)

French troops in Timbuktu:
http://www.dw.de/french-led-forces-ente ... a-16556682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://news.sky.com/story/1044015/mali- ... n-timbuktu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21227053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The French are happy:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/2 ... 8T20130128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So are the Malians:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2 ... NETTXT3487" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (video)

Some worries about the longer-term outlook:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21233394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a degree of tinfoil-hattery from the usual suspects:
http://rt.com/news/mali-intervention-pe ... flict-303/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rt.com/news/france-africa-neo-colonialism-675/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:14 pm

The douchebags rebels burned the Timbuktu library, which was full of ancient manuscripts. :evil:
Mostly not here anymore.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:14 pm

It's been shown in many places that pushing the insurgents out of the cities and into the country side has little to do with winning a war. We will see how this turns out.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Nice overview, Sheddi.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:47 pm

majorhavoc wrote:Nice overview, Sheddi.
phil_in_cs wrote:It's been shown in many places that pushing the insurgents out of the cities and into the country side has little to do with winning a war. We will see how this turns out.
Agreed. The French seem to be taking the lead at the moment while a larger regional peacekeeping force gets its act together. Seems there's an 8000-strong ECOWAS / African Union force due to take over once their respective political and military leadership get their acts together.

Al Jazeera has a fair bit of coverage:
http://blogs.aljazeera.com/topic/mali/a ... ve-retaken" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/20 ... 16824.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:17 am

dogbane wrote:The douchebags rebels burned the Timbuktu library, which was full of ancient manuscripts. :evil:
More details on that:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/201 ... ripts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
dogbane wrote:The douchebags rebels burned the Timbuktu library, which was full of ancient manuscripts. :evil:
More details on that:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/201 ... ripts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:evil:

This is why we need to upload absolutely everything to digital format. It may not be as good as the real thing but at least we can keep something.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

The BBC is reporting that 28,000 of the manuscripts were safely in the Malian capital, Bamako. "Only" 2,000 are missing, some believed stolen rather than burned:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21242630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BBC wrote:The BBC's Thomas Fessy in Timbuktu said he had seen burnt ash on the floor of the Ahmed Baba Institute's library and had been told by staff that some 2,000 manuscripts were missing - either burnt or stolen by the militants. However, another 28,000 had already been moved to the capital, Bamako, for safekeeping, they added.
My tax dollars (OK, "TV licence fee") at work stimulating the Timbuktu economy :D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21241106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BBC wrote:There is no electricity here nor phone network. The two main hotels, which have been closed for so long, have reopened to accommodate incoming journalists. Staff are delighted to welcome us and are moving heaven and earth to resume normal service.
More at the links.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:31 pm

sheddi wrote:
The BBC is reporting that 28,000 of the manuscripts were safely in the Malian capital, Bamako. "Only" 2,000 are missing, some believed stolen rather than burned:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21242630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BBC wrote:The BBC's Thomas Fessy in Timbuktu said he had seen burnt ash on the floor of the Ahmed Baba Institute's library and had been told by staff that some 2,000 manuscripts were missing - either burnt or stolen by the militants. However, another 28,000 had already been moved to the capital, Bamako, for safekeeping, they added.
That is better news.

I remember how I felt when the Taliban destroyed the Buddhas of Bamiyan. Acts such as that are hard for an archaeologist or historian to stomach.
Mostly not here anymore.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”