Haiti's government falls after food riots!

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

kzu750
BANNED

Haiti's government falls after food riots!

Post by kzu750 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Oh boy... are we (United States) next? Not likely right now but soon...

http://www.reuters.com/article/homepage ... ._CH_.2400

Edit: So people actually know where "we" is :)
Last edited by kzu750 on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ellie With An Axe

Re: Haiti's government falls after food riots!

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:08 pm

kzu750 wrote:Oh boy... are we next? Not likely right now but soon...

I'm not sure who "we" is. Are you in the US? If so, do you think the US government is going to collapse "soon" because of food riots?

shenkhu

Post by shenkhu » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:13 pm

lots of countries are gonna collapse before US and canada, but, if the situation is not corrected pretty soon, this can become nasty for a lot of peoples... i would advise more food preparation before / if this hits the fan.
in the begining, there were man and wolfes, not quite enemies, not quite friends.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:42 pm

It's a global phenom, I'm guessing it hit Haiti first because the gov and the people are all dirt-poor. I might just stock up my store cupboard this month.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

RebelKangaroo

Post by RebelKangaroo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:42 pm

That's pretty sensationalist. You and the article make it sound like there's absolute anarchy in Haiti right now. And yes, there's rioting, but the only falling the government did was get rid of the Prime Minister and his cabinet it looks like. That's not the end of the world for a parliamentary government.

Moana Drifter

Post by Moana Drifter » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:44 pm

I sense a bit of American/British terminology confusion. In the US, the "government" refers to our entire system of government, in the Westminister system, it simply refers to the party in power. To us Americans, the title of the article makes it sound like the central authority for the entire country was overthrown, when in fact all that happened was they chose a different prime minister. In a similar sense, one could say that the US "government" fell when the Democrats took control of the House and Senate.

Edit: looks like Rebel Kangaroo beat me to it.

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:08 pm

kzu750 wrote:Oh boy... are we (United States) next? Not likely right now but soon...

Obviously since the US and Haiti are so similar, it's due here(United States) any day.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

kzu750
BANNED

Post by kzu750 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:42 pm

BeerandGuns wrote:
kzu750 wrote:Oh boy... are we (United States) next? Not likely right now but soon...

Obviously since the US and Haiti are so similar, it's due here(United States) any day.
Yup and it will make your little Catrina look like a walk in the pond LOL

stimpy321972
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead

Post by stimpy321972 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:57 pm

The haitian government in parts or in entirety has fallen more times than the panties on a dutch window girl. Either on their own or with the help of outsiders (read: usa).
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:31 pm

kzu750 wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote:

Who is this Catrina person and why is she walking in a pond? Is she going to cause the looming food shortages? I'm very confused.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

kzu750
BANNED

Post by kzu750 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:18 pm

BeerandGuns wrote:
kzu750 wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote:

Who is this Catrina person and why is she walking in a pond? Is she going to cause the looming food shortages? I'm very confused.
Aren't you in liousianna?

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:44 pm

kzu750 wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote:
kzu750 wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote: Obviously since the US and Haiti are so similar, it's due here(United States) any day.

No.

kzu750
BANNED

Post by kzu750 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:29 pm

BeerandGuns wrote:
kzu750 wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote:
kzu750 wrote: Yup and it will make your little Catrina look like a walk in the pond LOL

No.
Sorry my mistake, carry on.

19kilo

Post by 19kilo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:21 am

kzu750 wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote:
kzu750 wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote:
No.

Roflmao :lol:

The water gets hotter...the frog keeps swimming

ZScott

Post by ZScott » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:52 am

:roll: That is not going to happen, even soon. :roll:
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.
Just Trying to Pass on some Wisdom.
Anyone who thinks any sort of PAW will be glamorous, fun, or exciting... has dramatic reality issues.

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:04 am

Haiti's political system's been teetering for years--and that's only the most recent round of unpleasantness down there.

They've been unstable more or less since Independence. They've got a host of environmental and societal problems as a result. Food riots and governmental instability in Haiti don't necessarily. foreshadow problems for the US or anywhere else...even the Dominican Republic, which is pretty much as close to Haiti as two countries can be.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:37 am

BeerandGuns wrote:
kzu750 wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote:

Maybe he meant Katrina and the Waves... although I think she's walking on sunshine...

Brianww2e45

Post by Brianww2e45 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:50 am

All jokes aside, these sorts of shortages effect everyone, and while I don't look to see Washington in flames any time soon, food shortages are one of the number one causes of uprisings, regardless of their scale.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Brianww2e45 wrote:All jokes aside, these sorts of shortages effect everyone, and while I don't look to see Washington in flames any time soon, food shortages are one of the number one causes of uprisings, regardless of their scale.
"Rising food prices could threaten political stability around the world, the UN's leading humanitarian official said yesterday.

Sir John Holmes, the undersecretary general for humanitarian affairs and the UN's emergency relief co-ordinator, was speaking after two days of rioting in Egypt over the soaring cost of basic foodstuffs.

He told a conference in Dubai that rising prices would spark unrest across vulnerable nations. Average prices have risen 40 per cent across the world in less than a year.
advertisement

Sir John said: "The security implications should also not be underestimated as food riots are already being reported across the globe.

"Current food price trends are likely to increase sharply both the incidence and depth of food insecurity."

As well as the riots in Egypt, rising food costs have been blamed for violent unrest in Haiti, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Mauritania, Mozambique and Senegal. Protests have also occurred in Uzbekistan, Yemen, Bolivia and Indonesia.

China, India, Pakistan, Cambodia and Vietnam have curbed rice exports to ensure there is enough for their own people."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ots109.xml

This is more than "those crazy Haitians and their crazy fall-down-again government" for sure.

"Let them eat cake" sparked the French Revolution...
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

LittleTeapot
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LittleTeapot » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:00 pm

Soon?

That's adorable.
Insert Witty Signature Here

>>> Join Zombie Squad

SSgtMobley

Post by SSgtMobley » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:22 pm

andygates wrote: "Let them eat cake" sparked the French Revolution...
While it may have been a catch phrase used to associate the disdain of the Nobility and Royalty (and Aristocracy) of the "common man", food shortages were only a small part of the overall cause of the French Revolution.

Louis XV fought many wars and pushed France to the verge of bankruptcy.

Louis XVI brought the country into even worse debt by financially supporting the American Revolution (which I find an irony as this lead to his own fall in a similar revolution).

The financial model for France at the time resulted in serious overtaxation without equivalant social care (particularly among war veterans) in return. This soured the taste of the people to the government stealing their incomes (common people making an actual wage was a fairly new thing then).

Unemployment had skyrocketed and bread prices were very high.

While the country was able to produce plenty of food to support the populace, the transportation infrastructure of France was poor and could not get the goods to those who needed them before they were ruined. Thus, rich farmland owners and the associated nobility were well fed while the common city resident was starving. This created a "social class" problem.

People were getting fed up with the royals having absolute power with practically no representation for the common man.

Merchants looked at the rest of Europe and America and saw how much socio-political power their peers had in these areas compared to them and they desired more. This also drove a schizm between the common man and the royal.

A desire for Freedom of Religion (and a desire to see Clergy NOT treated as Nobles) created a resentment to the Catholic church which had a major hand in national affairs. Most of the population was Protestant.

Anger toward the King for firing two men as advisors. Jacques Necker and A.R.J. Turgot were seen as speaking for the people on financial matters to the king.

Most of my sources are from wiki, but I remember them from World History as well. I paraphrased what was in Wiki both for length but also for clarification based on my memory of my education.

Simply put food shortages aren't a Primary Cause for a revolution in France, Haiti, or anywhere else. They are, possibly, a "last straw" in nations already problemed. But they aren't as major a concern as all that on their own.
"Give me a long enough lever, a fulcrum and a place to stand and I will move the world." - Archimedes

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:23 pm

19kilo wrote:
kzu750 wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote:
kzu750 wrote: Aren't you in liousianna?
No.

Roflmao :lol:
Roflmao...gasping for air...roflmao...gasping for air...more Roflamo :lol: :lol:

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:39 pm

While soaring food prices are a concern--we have several threads about that going right now--I think most of the responses to this thread had to do with the implications that A) Haiti as a nation-state had collapsed due to a food crisis, and B) That it was a matter of time before that instability spread to the US.

Neither of these is true. Haiti underwent a change of government, as per the rules of a parliamentary system. As discussed, Haiti's been unstable for a long, long time, and as such tends to feel tremors in the global system a long time before anyone else does. Ecologically, the country's devastated, with massive deforestation and topsoil loss. Haiti is, I believe, massively reliant on food imports and foreign aide to feed itself.

As for the possibility of a collapse in the first world: We're no-where close to that yet. I don't want to rule anything out (there's a reason I post here), but right now the folks I talk to who deal with food aid are worried about losing ground to poverty/desertification/hunger in the developing world, rather than nation-states collapsing.

This may change, and a lot's going to depend on how things shape up over the next year, but for now the original post is very misleading.

SSgtMobley, that was a mighty fine summation of the causes of the French Revolution.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

SSgtMobley

Post by SSgtMobley » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:58 pm

Cymro wrote:
SSgtMobley, that was a mighty fine summation of the causes of the French Revolution.
Although I feel there are several parallels between the Pre-Revolutionary state of France and modern America, I was going to refrain from identifying them specifically at risk of sounding political.

But that being said, even with the parallels I feel that do exist, I don't think they are even a fraction in comparison to what they were in France at the time.

Could we go that far? I think so, given time. Are we likely too? We'll see after the next elections of both President and Congress. Unfortunately, my jaded view of both parties at this time doesn't lend me too much hope in either case. But I do believe regardless of who takes power this November-Janurary timeframe, they can't do enough damage that it can't be repaired after their terms are up.
"Give me a long enough lever, a fulcrum and a place to stand and I will move the world." - Archimedes

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”