Survivalism goes mainstream

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ghostface

Survivalism goes mainstream

Post by ghostface » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:08 pm

New York Times:

Duck and Cover: It’s the New Survivalism
THE traditional face of survivalism is that of a shaggy loner in camouflage, holed up in a cabin in the wilderness and surrounded by cases of canned goods and ammunition.

It is not that of Barton M. Biggs, the former chief global strategist at Morgan Stanley. Yet in Mr. Biggs’s new book, “Wealth, War and Wisdom,” he says people should “assume the possibility of a breakdown of the civilized infrastructure.”

“Your safe haven must be self-sufficient and capable of growing some kind of food,” Mr. Biggs writes. “It should be well-stocked with seed, fertilizer, canned food, wine, medicine, clothes, etc. Think Swiss Family Robinson. Even in America and Europe there could be moments of riot and rebellion when law and order temporarily completely breaks down.”

Survivalism, it seems, is not just for survivalists anymore.

Faced with a confluence of diverse threats — a tanking economy, a housing crisis, looming environmental disasters, and a sharp spike in oil prices — people who do not consider themselves extremists are starting to discuss doomsday measures once associated with the social fringes.

They stockpile or grow food in case of a supply breakdown, or buy precious metals in case of economic collapse. Some try to take their houses off the electricity grid, or plan safe houses far away. The point is not to drop out of society, but to be prepared in case the future turns out like something out of “An Inconvenient Truth,” if not “Mad Max.”
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

shenkhu

Post by shenkhu » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:40 pm

i think it's good news to see survivalism in quite all "classes" of society, i mean, the more people are prepared, the less there is a threat on YOUR preps...
in the begining, there were man and wolfes, not quite enemies, not quite friends.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:39 pm

I like seeing stuff like this actually.

If it makes one person at least start thinking about preparedness and maybe put a bit of extra food back , I think that is a good thing.

Of course , being mainstream media , they just could not resist a couple of jabs at "gun-toting camo-clad survivalist"

:roll:
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:42 pm

It's obviously a good thing. I still like being a shaggy loner in camouflage though. I just wish I was in the woods.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:53 pm

I wonder what how this will effect prices of preps, based on supply and demand, I mean. I guess it would only matter if a lot of people started instilling preparations.

The Syndicate

Post by The Syndicate » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:30 pm

suntzu wrote:I wonder what how this will effect prices of preps, based on supply and demand, I mean. I guess it would only matter if a lot of people started instilling preparations.

My thinking as well.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:27 pm

The Syndicate wrote:
suntzu wrote:I wonder what how this will effect prices of preps, based on supply and demand, I mean. I guess it would only matter if a lot of people started instilling preparations.

My thinking as well.
Welcome to Zombie Squad.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:17 am

While I'm glad preparedness is getting wider notice, remember that if the Times is reporting it, it is already occurring. Easy to use stuff, like Mountain House foods, will be most effected; I've heard they are back ordered already. This explains also why we are seeing more pre-packed BOB's and similar items for sale.

Bulk commodities like we'd use for big storage are up, but I think that's more due to oil (cost of shipping, cost of fertilizers) than anything else.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:56 am

I am glad that more people are taking notice of the need to be prepared as well. I guess I am selfishly wondering how this is going to effect how far my dollar will go towards my preparations for me and mine. Hopefully, the more items that are on backorder, more companies will emerge to fulfill the need. At the very least, the more minds that are focusing on preparedness might bring about more varied and diverse equipment used for survival.

I would also avail myself of good training from an instructor who was well versed in survival if I could find one close enough to my hometown.

Hotzcatz

Post by Hotzcatz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:10 am

In order to survive well we will need a community around us who is also prepared so this mainstream awareness for the need for preps is a good thing! Finding like minded folks will be easier now.

What each person will deem "preps" will probably be different from person to person. Having food for six months to a year is a good thing but having the ability to provide (grow, forage, hunt) food for the years after that will also be important. How many of you have a washboard for washing clothes in your list of prep items? Clothespins? Hand tools? Tools to make more tools? Seeds which can be grown into plants which can then be saved for seed? Recipes for making soap?

We may as well start towards moving into the lifestyle and start providing as much of the stuff we need as we can right now. It will make the learning curve less steep for when we need to know and if there are parts missing we will still have time to fill in the gaps while there is still stuff available.

shenkhu

Post by shenkhu » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:02 am

i do have seeds, and i'm learning to grow this spring, i have a very little space, but i still get the basics, and maybe i can improve next year(or apply learned techniques on the field, who knows :shock: just kiddin here...) i also have a decent toolbox, and many, MANY spareparts on any kind, from bols, nuts, nail, aluminim pieces, rubber bands, tapes, ... lot of mixed stuff!!

No washboard though, but it's a good idea, it's just "hardly" survival related :lol:
in the begining, there were man and wolfes, not quite enemies, not quite friends.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:14 pm

What each person will deem "preps" will probably be different from person to person. Having food for six months to a year is a good thing but having the ability to provide (grow, forage, hunt) food for the years after that will also be important. How many of you have a washboard for washing clothes in your list of prep items? Clothespins? Hand tools? Tools to make more tools? Seeds which can be grown into plants which can then be saved for seed? Recipes for making soap?
All of the above, and if you look in the "Self Sufficency" subforum you can find a couple recipies for laundry detergent and dishwashing soap. :)
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

Glockmeister

Post by Glockmeister » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:17 am

Having more people prepare is a good thing. Having said that, the method of preparation for the "uninitiated", may very well be different than what we as somewhat "hardcore" preps types think are needed. Most of your average people think in terms of enough can goods, and toilet paper to see them thru an emergency. We on the other hand think in those terms, but with the added idea of firearms, ammo, bugout bags, outdoor shelter, firestarting, etc, etc, etc,. It's like they are going to run 1 football play the whole game, and we are going to run the whole playbook. :)
Glockmeister

Molon Labe!

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:56 am

Seems to me it could go two ways. Law of supply and demand states that prices will go up in the short term, sure. But if companies start to consistently sell more volume and ramp up production to match that volume, prices will go down lower than they started. I tend to think the first scenario is more likely than the second, for as much as I'd like to believe people will stick with this thinking, after 6 months if nothing has happened they'll actually feel ripped-off and quit.

“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:16 pm

Festus Hagen wrote:Seems to me it could go two ways. Law of supply and demand states that prices will go up in the short term, sure. But if companies start to consistently sell more volume and ramp up production to match that volume, prices will go down lower than they started. I tend to think the first scenario is more likely than the second, for as much as I'd like to believe people will stick with this thinking, after 6 months if nothing has happened they'll actually feel ripped-off and quit.

The thing to look forward to then is clearance sales and garage/yard sales! I think I'll put an ad in the local paper for "Will Buy Your Survival Gear! Call Now!"

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:46 pm

As far as prices for surplus and survival items, I don't see it having as big an effect as it will at mom and pop outfitters or surplus shops, and then I imagine most of the price increase will be on things that the amateur zeroes in on, and probably most of us here can imagine what those are (gas masks, fancy kits, namebrand, etc.). The big box stores would see smaller increases, since they'll meet their margins easier than the small, private shops.

Fear-based buying isn't the best way to go about preparing yourself for a disaster, and unfortunately it creates a run on supplies in addition to price increases.

But at least a good thing about preparing becoming more popular is that people are taking a little bit more responsibility for themselves and what happens to them. It would be an interesting world if there was half as much emphasis on personal preparedness and education as there is on matters of financial survival/preparedness.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”