Puerto Rico Earthquake - January 2020

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Puerto Rico Earthquake - January 2020

Post by raptor » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:50 pm

The reports still arriving show the power grid still has issues.
This indicates that 80 % of the customers still have no power.

http://news.trust.org/item/20200108102705-whjbu
Nearly 500,000 of the island's 1.5 million customers had service on Wednesday morning, up from 100,000 the night before, and the island was generating about 542 megawatts of electricity, the power authority AEE said, still short of the demand of some 2,000 megawatts.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:26 pm

It seems that (?) is just shitting all over PR. Why?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:26 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:26 pm
It seems that (?) is just shitting all over PR. Why?
The following is not meant to explain why:

Caca happens. When you are most vulnerable even a little turd can cause issues. PR is vulnerable....or at least its power infrastructure is vulnerable.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:01 pm

That island just can't seem to catch a break. Tangential observation but relevant to prepping. I noticed this picture accompanying an article about Puerto Ricans being scared to sleep anywhere now except outside in their yards.

Those appear to be either Luci lights or Luminaids. Small, collapsible (technically - inflatable) LED lanterns that are solar powered. I'm guessing quite a few of them were distributed to Puerto Ricans following hurricane Maria. I own one of each and have found them to be really good prepping items. They're incredibly lightweight, compact when collapsed and put out a decent amount of area light. And unlike portable "solar" powerbanks, the built-in solar array is well-suited for the efficient lithium-ion battery and LED light system. Running them for several hours in the evening and recharging them the following day makes sustained day-to-day grid-down usage very doable. They deserve a place in any disaster kit.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:38 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:01 pm
That island just can't seem to catch a break. Tangential observation but relevant to prepping. I noticed this picture accompanying an article about Puerto Ricans being scared to sleep anywhere now except outside in their yards.

Those appear to be either Luci lights or Luminaids. Small, collapsible (technically - inflatable) LED lanterns that are solar powered. I'm guessing quite a few of them were distributed to Puerto Ricans following hurricane Maria. I own one of each and have found them to be really good prepping items. They're incredibly lightweight, compact when collapsed and put out a decent amount of area light. And unlike portable "solar" powerbanks, the built-in solar array is well-suited for the efficient lithium-ion battery and LED light system. Running them for several hours in the evening and recharging them the following day makes sustained day-to-day grid-down usage very doable. They deserve a place in any disaster kit.
Thank you.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”