COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: COVID-19 Thread

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:54 pm

I've renamed the thread because apparently calling this virus anything but COVID-19 is now considered racist. Yeah, okay... :roll:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

boskone

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by boskone » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:38 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:35 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:05 pm
Ah Karma, you lovely bitch.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he-ha ... spartanntp
With that many he could have raised prices by a dollar, suffered probably no pushback, and still made a ton of money.

Realistically--since he cleared out dollar stores--he could have raised prices by a buck compared to Amazon's norm, and made even more of a mint without anyone even noticing.

Best thing he can do now is donate all that crap to church or something, and try to write off what he can as a charitable contribution.
Well, seems he finally donated it all--finally--but is under investigation for price gouging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:54 pm
I've renamed the thread because apparently calling this virus anything but COVID-19 is now considered racist. Yeah, okay... :roll:
Can we still call the Spanish Flu the Spanish Flu or can do we have to call it something else? Asking for a white person who isn't woke...
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:48 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm
NT2C wrote:
Can we still call the Spanish Flu the Spanish Flu or can do we have to call it something else? Asking for a white person who isn't woke...
Probably okay, but "German Measles" is right out and Reebok says they'll boycott us if anyone mentions Athlete's Foot.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:31 am

This probably should go in the Pandemic Preparations thread, but this newly renamed thread is getting a lot more traffic.

A comprehensive analysis of personal versus systemic risk of the virus, with a sobering assessment for the need to immediately practice social distancing.

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/03/a- ... cMMi2gb-PM

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:37 am

Black Beard wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:31 pm
Hi All,

I've not been on here in a couple of years.

I think UK has lost any chance of containment. Working back from the current death rates to their likely infection point and then forward, increasing the infected using the confirmed cases numbers gives something around 100 000 people currently infected.

The UK government's strategy is probably the right one.

Take care and drive safely.

Black Beard
Thanks for checking in. Wish the circumstances were better, but welcome back. There's another Sitrep update thread that we'd all appreciate your input on.

How are you set for preps?

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:50 am

NT2C wrote:
For about two full seconds I didn't make the connection and actually thought you meant that "corona virus" (the popular name usage for people who are lazy) was too generic since there are scads of not-new-to-us viruses that fit this label, and thought:

"Yeah, I can see how that would be unfair to call COVID-19 a name that too easily sounds like it could be some other corona virus. Wait. Is it racist if it's viruses? Something seems off about- ...oh." My brain is dead. :roll:
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 pm

NT2C wrote:
Is Kung-Flu verboten also?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:53 pm

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:02 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 pm
NT2C wrote:
You need to ask? :roll:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:21 pm

VA Central Iowa Health Care System - Current Operating Status
Effective immediately, VHA facilities will plan to cease non-urgent elective procedures no later than Wednesday, March 18, 2020.
:ohdear:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:25 pm

BREAKING: President Donald J> Trump is declaring a State of Emergency over COVID-19. The words "National Emergency" were not used on the news I saw.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:59 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:25 pm
BREAKING: President Donald J> Trump is declaring a State of Emergency over COVID-19. The words "National Emergency" were not used on the news I saw.
I hate to break it to you but he already did that last Friday.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:08 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 pm
NT2C wrote:
If you are talking about Kung-Fu the TV show then yes. While I loved it as a kid it wasn't until I was an adult that I found out that the TV network stole the idea from Bruce Lee and wouldn't let him star in it because of racism.

In Chinese, the term kung fu (功夫) refers to any skill that is acquired through learning or practice. It is a compound word composed of the words 功 (gōng) meaning "work", "achievement", or "merit", and 夫 (fū) which is a particle or nominal suffix with diverse meanings. So if you mean that, than ok.
You go over and under
I go through

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:31 pm

https://www.nccourts.gov/closings

North Carolina closing court for all non-essential hearings for 30 days

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:03 pm

From CNBC: San Francisco Bay Area officials order 7 million people to ‘shelter in place’ to curb coronavirus spread Wikipedia says the population of San Fran is almost 10 million.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:16 pm

A little light entertainment about TP...

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Today the UK Government finally got their act together and gave a proper press briefing rather than leaking snippets to their favoured journalists.

Highlights (if that's the right word, there are longer versions on YouTube if you are interested):

- Individuals with fever or a "new & continuous" cough should self-isolate for 7 days
- Households where any member has one of those symptoms should self-isolate for 14 days (the ide being that in 14 days everyone in the house will get it and recover)
- Stop all non-essential contact and unnecessary travel, avoid pubs/clubs/theatres
- From tomorrow, public safety support to "mass gatherings" (sporting events, large festivals and the like) will be withdrawn
- By the end of the week, the elderly and vulnerable should be prepared to self-isolate for tweve weeks (yes, really)

Thaat's quite a change from the currnet situation and there's some loud complaints from the events and hospitality sector. If the government had ordered pubs/clubs/theatres to be closed, they could claim on their business insurance but as the government has simply asked their customers not to turn up, they don't think that's an option. Many business owners think they're going to be bankrupted as a result.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:16 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:37 am
Black Beard wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:31 pm
Hi All,

I've not been on here in a couple of years.

I think UK has lost any chance of containment. Working back from the current death rates to their likely infection point and then forward, increasing the infected using the confirmed cases numbers gives something around 100 000 people currently infected.

The UK government's strategy is probably the right one.

Take care and drive safely.

Black Beard
Thanks for checking in. Wish the circumstances were better, but welcome back. There's another Sitrep update thread that we'd all appreciate your input on.

How are you set for preps?
I'm good for pretty much everything. I saw this coming in January and stocked up on food, cleaning gear, etc. If I need to rely on the preps I am going to end up hating lentils and rice.

Some of the supermarkets are apparently empty but the discount supermarkets are not. Panic buying seems to be a middle class thing. People clear out soap and hand cleaner dispensers but ignore shower gel (which is the same stuff). They bulk buy pasta but nothing to eat with it. I think they are following the crowd and just trying to avoid missing out.

I have a desk job so I've been working from home. I'm not sure what all this will do to work- whether any of works projects will be delayed.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Well, that’s me on lockdown for 12 weeks now due to my asthma. Mr wee drop took supplies to my 83 year old Dad tonight as he had been unable to get the shopping that he needed, due to others panic buying, my Dad is also now meant to be shielded through social distancing.

This was outlined in todays government briefing:
Avoiding social contact
Prof Whitty said the group of people who should take "particular care to minimise their social contact" were:
■ People over the age of 70
■ Other adults who would normally be advised to have the flu vaccine (such as those with chronic diseases)
such as Asthma/COPD/Emphysema/Heart, Liver or Kidney Disease/Diabetes etc etc.
■ Pregnant women”

Whole households to stay at home
Prof Whitty said if one person in any household starts to display symptoms, everyone living there must stay at home for 14 days.”
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:54 pm

A big day in Indiana:

Our first Covid-19 death and you can still celebrate St. Patrick’s Day just not in a bar, restaurant or with a big group of people.
Governor Eric Holcomb has announced more directives.

Indiana will follow CDC recommendations of not having gatherings of more than 50 people.
The Department of Education is working with 16 school districts that are still open to determine needs.
In-person patronage at bars, restaurants and nightclubs will end through March. Carryout and delivery is still allowed. Owners should close “as soon as reasonably feasible,” according to the governor’s office.
Elective and non-urgent surgeries should be postponed by hospitals... also said Marion County is showing “community spread” that cannot be traced back to travel to affected countries or conferences.

“We have had some individuals who are in the process of recovering but are not out of isolation at this time,” Box said.

...also ...Indiana has not yet received any of the Roche Diagnostics testing kits offered by the federal government. Tests will be reserved for people who show up to emergency rooms who show signs of having the virus, particularly those 60 and older with underlying health conditions.
https://www.wishtv.com/news/medical/is ... now-at-24/
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:15 pm

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:20 pm

Just saw this and it is bad. Italy is totally overrun with cases:

US surgeon general: US cases are where Italy was 2 weeks ago
Two weeks ago, there were 1,700 cases of coronavirus in Italy.

Now, Italy is reporting an estimated 25,000 cases and more than 1,800 deaths.
https://www.wthr.com/article/us-surgeo ... eeks-ago-1

It is time to maximize the hunker down!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:20 pm
Just saw this and it is bad. Italy is totally overrun with cases:

US surgeon general: US cases are where Italy was 2 weeks ago
Two weeks ago, there were 1,700 cases of coronavirus in Italy.

Now, Italy is reporting an estimated 25,000 cases and more than 1,800 deaths.
https://www.wthr.com/article/us-surgeo ... eeks-ago-1

It is time to maximize the hunker down!
It's a drop in the bucket compared to what is going to happen in the US, especially the cities, especially those with older populations.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “All Things COVID-19”