Australian Bush Fires

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Australian Bush Fires

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:46 pm

In Australia Wildfires, Scenes Of Smoke, Sparks And Chaos

Straight-up hell-on-earth. Note all-to-common evac problems & gov't responses.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Australian Bush Fires

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Per ABC (Australia): Multiple 'States of Emergencies' declared as conditions set to worsen. It's all over ABC's front page.

LIVE COVERAGE

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:05 pm

Sister in law has many friends in Australia. All safe so far, but this is a real mess.

I've been in a few wildfires (armed forces supporting fire department), not fun.

A massive STAY SAFE to all ppl fighting the fires and those trapped in its path.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:40 pm

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:44 pm

The following is an opinion piece. The chance of politics is 5/6, make your own case.

From The NYT: Australia Is Committing Climate Suicide

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:45 am

Just finishing packing a deployment bag as I write this for future deployments down there to assist with firefighting efforts.

unfortunately outside of the immediate frontlines this is becoming a very political issue.

that said
-> 3000 army reservists have been called up, this is the first time this has happened for any disaster
-> Firefighters from America and Canada have deployed, with more coming over
-> military bases have opened their gates becoming evacuation centres
-> military helicopters are deployed to help with evacuations and firefighting efforts, in addition HMAS Adelaide is sitting off the coast ready to evacuate
civilians
-> Queensland has sent down another 70 firefighters and 12 appliances to the New South Wales South Coast with further deployments highly likely.

These fires are the worst in 2019, dwarfing the amazon and Siberian fires put together. let's see what the rest of 2020 brings.
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:08 pm

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:39 pm

A bit of lighthearted news, an Aussie model was sending nudes for each $10 people donated to wildfire fund raisers. Apparently she's hit the better part of a million dollars (presumably Australian dollars, but not sure).

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:00 pm

Police take legal action against more than 180 people so far during 2019/2020 bushfire season

The NSW Police Force has taken legal action against more than 180 people for bushfire-related offences since late last year.

Numerous bush and grass fires have impacted the state, claiming the lives of 18 people and destroying hundreds of millions of animals and livestock, thousands of homes, and more than 4.9 million hectares of land, so far this bushfire season.

Since Friday 8 November 2019, legal action – which ranges from cautions through to criminal charges – has been taken against 183 people – including 40 juveniles – for 205 bushfire-related offences.

Of note:

24 people have been charged over alleged deliberately-lit bushfires
53 people have had legal actions for allegedly failing to comply with a total fire ban, and
47 people have had legal actions for allegedly discarding a lighted cigarette or match on land.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”