Megadroughts

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Megadroughts

Post by doitnstyle1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:20 pm

"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

flybynight

Re: Megadroughts

Post by flybynight » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 pm

WELL dammit to hell which is it ? Are we going to freeze to death from ice age caused global warming? Drown in mega humid breathing conditions caused by global warming? Drown in rapidly rising sea levels? Or die from mega drought thirst? Wish they would make up their minds and pick a specific ELE. I miss the old days when it was nuclear fire or zombies. :vmad: Now I don't know if I should build a Ark, igloo or swimming pool
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:12 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 pm
WELL dammit to hell which is it ? Are we going to freeze to death from ice age caused global warming? Drown in mega humid breathing conditions caused by global warming? Drown in rapidly rising sea levels? Or die from mega drought thirst? Wish they would make up their minds and pick a specific ELE. I miss the old days when it was nuclear fire or zombies. :vmad: Now I don't know if I should build a Ark, igloo or swimming pool
Both, right? When it gets cold, it'll be super cold, then when it swings hot, it'll last for longer than usual. As the pendulum swings, it goes farther and farther out to the extremes. Ice age and mega drought can all still happen.

Btw, my vote is a swimming pool on an ark. Throw in a slide, too.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:14 pm

The 2104 photo of Almaden Reservoir taken during the high point of the last drought is nice. Of course it is full now up to it's seismic restrictions level.

If the Megadroughts do come billions will die. The droughts drove the tribes out due to them being unable to feed themselves back then and that curbed the population. Today we have a much bigger problem with less available arable land and many more people. Countries that tend to have a large growth in population without any supporting agriculture will likely have it the worst.

ETA -
In Homage to Rutger Hauer I watched Split Second last night. 2008 London has suffered 40 days and 40 nights of rain causing major flooding due to climate change. America is all to blame. (Sound familiar? :lol: ) This has caused a beast of some kind to emerge and begin brutally murdering people.
Split Second is not so much a movie as a cinematic crib sheet, cheerfully ripping off Jaws, Aliens, and Hauer's own Blade Runner, just to name a few. Which is not for a moment to suggest that the movie isn't fun to watch.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:36 pm

norcalprep wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:12 pm
flybynight wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 pm
Both, right? When it gets cold, it'll be super cold, then when it swings hot, it'll last for longer than usual. As the pendulum swings, it goes farther and farther out to the extremes. Ice age and mega drought can all still happen.

Btw, my vote is a swimming pool on an ark. Throw in a slide, too.
HA. Dreamer. I'm going to cool off in the rapidly increasing puddle inside my rapidly decreasing igloo :idea:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:44 am

So, I have trouble posting links on here, but along the lines of apocalyptic weather events, India has seen temps reaching up to 123 degrees this past June. Over 100 people have died and if warming trends continue the temps may get high enough that humans just can't survive in large parts of the country. And this is a country where "stay inside" orders put many people in positions of not making money at their jobs and many people dont have air conditioning so inside is not much cooler.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:40 am

Ellywick wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:44 am
So, I have trouble posting links on here, but along the lines of apocalyptic weather events, India has seen temps reaching up to 123 degrees this past June. Over 100 people have died and if warming trends continue the temps may get high enough that humans just can't survive in large parts of the country. And this is a country where "stay inside" orders put many people in positions of not making money at their jobs and many people dont have air conditioning so inside is not much cooler.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_heat ... d_Pakistan
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”