Unrest in Memphis

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Unrest in Memphis

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:27 am

Police US Marshalls shot and killed a gang member in Memphis when he resisted arrest for multiple felony warrants by trying to kill officers by ramming their cars with his vehicle and then pulling a gun. This spurred a protests against the police in support of the Crips. 25 officers and 2 journalists were injured in the melee. The protestors also attacked a fire station for unknown reasons and vandalized it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/do ... s-n1017086

In the photos on this articles a number of protestors are flashing Crip gang signs.

https://time.com/5606453/memphis-frayse ... d=homepage
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Re: Unrest in Memphis

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:06 am

As it turns out dead guy had warrants for Attempted murder, Assault, Armed Robbery and Unauthorized Use. He and business associate of his went to another state to purchase an automobile they saw on Facebook. They forget their billfolds though and our man shot the seller five times in the chest and took the car anyway. This was the car he then used to ram the USM's who were trying to arrest him.

After ramming them he then exited the vehicle with a rifle that he had previously posed with on Facebook in an attempt to show the Marshals how proud he was of it. Somehow in the misunderstanding the Marshals thought he was a dangerous fugitive trying to hurt people and they shot and killed him. Speaking of Facebook just hours prior he posted a video on there saying that the police were not going to get him and that they would have to kill him. Mission accomplished says I.

His appologists say that he said "catch" not "kill" on the video. I listened to the video and sounded like "kill" to me.
You go over and under
I go through

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:45 am

I'm reminded of this quote -

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Downtown Memphis is not really a place you want to be. I know from experience. There are a few parts of Nashville like that but I thank the heavens it's not most of the city like Memphis has become.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:20 am

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:44 am

Here is a link to the go fund me page set up for him. The 20 year old father of four was just getting started in life.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/justice-for-brandon-webber

Send as much as you feel your heart can allow.
You go over and under
I go through

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:03 am

The go fund me page makes the guy out to be a regular college student that was guned down.

Are there two B Webbers? One a violent gang-banger and the other a regular Joe?

In these stories, I always ask - who will profit from the chaos? Who will gain politically?

Robert Hienlien wasn't a scifi writer, he was prescient....not quite a prophet..
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:54 am

TacAir wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:03 am
The go fund me page makes the guy out to be a regular college student that was guned down.

In these stories, I always ask - who will profit from the chaos? Who will gain politically?
Granted i am in the finanxial world a lot,but the old advice of follow the money in my experience more timrs than not clears up the ambiguity of a confusing transaction or situation. Today substitute the word politics for money.

Ascribing innocence and goodness to thugs is nothing new unfortunately.

In my area we have many members of the Nuffin family. The 2 brothers from that family Didntdo and Didntsee are also frequently vocal defenders of such thugs.

BTW do you really think the gofund me organizer is going to do anything but abscound with the $?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:03 pm

BTW do you really think the gofund me organizer is going to do anything but abscond with the $?
The article said that that they were going to pay for funeral costs, pay off any students loans he may have had out and then give the rest to the family. I hardly see any plot holes with that narrative at all.
Are there two B Webbers? One a violent gang-banger and the other a regular Joe?
According to one of the preachers leading the protests he was a beloved member of the community. We are all imperfect people. I mean who hasn't thought about dealing drugs, committing armed robbery and shooting strangers to achieve our short term goals? Most of us lack the courage to go for our dreams. Brandon posted plenty of fat stacks on Facebook while smoking weed. Living the dream.

According to a Shelby County Commissioner Webber was shot because he was black and not because he rammed police cars and jumped out of his stolen car with a rifle. Had he been white he would have been taken to Burger King and given a Whopper.

https://www.kitv.com/story/40653371/in- ... erstanding

You could argue that editorial is a different kind of Whopper. Throwing in the Central Park 5 as another straw man is helpful as well. These are the people that vote on what resources to give to the sheriff's department out of public tax monies. Including things like the police cars that were damaged by the protestors.

There were no reports of protests last night, but it was Friday night and it is tough to keep a thing like this going during the weekend. So maybe it will go away.

Until next time.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:03 pm
BTW do you really think the gofund me organizer is going to do anything but abscond with the $?
The article said that that they were going to pay for funeral costs, pay off any students loans he may have had out and then give the rest to the family. I hardly see any plot holes with that narrative at all.
A key plot hole is that people have been known to lie, cheat and steal on occasions. ;)

BTW when a person dies federal student loans are automatically forgiven.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:47 pm

raptor wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:13 pm

That was kind of what I was thinking. But hey, who knows? Maybe they are just such good citizens that they will insist upon paying back the student loan even when they don't have to.
You go over and under
I go through

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:55 pm

https://www.wlbt.com/2019/06/14/dps-gan ... -officers/

Street gangs are threatening law enforcement with murder again.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:51 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:47 pm
raptor wrote:

That was kind of what I was thinking. But hey, who knows? Maybe they are just such good citizens that they will insist upon paying back the student loan even when they don't have to.
Not saying it was the case here, but generally, private cosigned loans are not discharged on death. Can leave a grieving parent with a mountain of debt...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Confucius wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:51 am
Stercutus wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:47 pm
raptor wrote:

Not saying it was the case here, but generally, private cosigned loans are not discharged on death. Can leave a grieving parent with a mountain of debt...
Private loans are always subject to the terms of the loan. Never, ever cosign a loan...

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:58 pm

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:09 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:58 pm
People rioted over this POS?

http://www.redwhiteandfyou.com/meet-the ... ting-over/
All that money and still couldn't hire plumber to fix the shitter.Image
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:09 pm

One of the more interesting editorials written by the congressman from the district that he was a member of wrote an article (won't link due to politics) mentioned that it was just another in a long line of cases like when the police shot Trayvon Martin. Now if memories are really that short and that bad I imagine in a couple years this poor child (baby daddy, college student, whatever) will have a whole new revisionist profile.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”