The Current Great Extinction Event

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

The Current Great Extinction Event

Post by Stercutus » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:27 pm

I have posted about this several times of the years, don't recall making a thread about it.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/earth-e ... lion-years
The Living Planet Index tracks more than 4000 species spread across nearly 17,000 populations. From 1970 to 2014, the number of animals with a backbone — birds, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and fish — plummeted across the globe, on average, by about 60 percent.

For freshwater vertebrates, losses topped 80 per cent. Geographically, South and Central America have been hit hardest, with 89 percent less wildlife in 2014 than in 1970.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: The Current Great Extinction Event

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:15 am

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:27 pm
I have posted about this several times of the years, don't recall making a thread about it.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/earth-e ... lion-years
The Living Planet Index tracks more than 4000 species spread across nearly 17,000 populations. From 1970 to 2014, the number of animals with a backbone — birds, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and fish — plummeted across the globe, on average, by about 60 percent.

For freshwater vertebrates, losses topped 80 per cent. Geographically, South and Central America have been hit hardest, with 89 percent less wildlife in 2014 than in 1970.
One of my biggest fears is something like The Road becoming reality.

FUCK (bother)

grennels

Post by grennels » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Humanity has gone viral.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:45 pm

This might make some of us rethink our survival strategies. Instead of hunting deer, we may be farming rats.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:45 pm
This might make some of us rethink our survival strategies. Instead of hunting deer, we may be farming rats.
Whatever works. But good point. I understand guinea pigs, cats, dogs, and rabbits are on the menu in other countries. Just some other considerations.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:30 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Whatever works. But good point. I understand guinea pigs, cats, dogs, and rabbits are on the menu in other countries. Just some other considerations.
Goats. The most consumed red meat animal on Earth. Will eat anything, grow fast and require little care. Taste like a goat but when prepared properly this is no problem.
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:30 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Goats. The most consumed red meat animal on Earth. Will eat anything, grow fast and require little care. Taste like a goat but when prepared properly this is no problem.
My wife hates goats. They were bullies when she grew up. But I suppose that would mean she is ok with eating them. Thanks for the tip! I hear goat sausage is pretty good.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:30 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Other countries? “Pets or Food” was Michael Moore’s documentary about economic hard times in his hometown of Flint Michigan.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:30 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Other countries? “Pets or Food” was Michael Moore’s documentary about economic hard times in his hometown of Flint Michigan.
Last I checked they can't even drink the water in Flint.
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:21 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:13 pm
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:30 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Last I checked they can't even drink the water in Flint.
Third world country? Check!

beno

Post by beno » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:35 am

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:30 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
That’s interesting and very true. Goats are a major threat to biodiversity in arid and semi arid Australia. I’ve helped manage mustering contracts that have removed over 60,000goats from western nsw in the past three years. They still keep coming and are helping create more desert where numbers get out of control. at the moment They are worth as much per kilo as lamb!

They are almost the perfect animal for the survivalist/ prepper if you can stop them from destroying your crops, infrastructure and native vegetation. we are in an intense drought and the goats are not only surviving they are still reproducing and thriving. Goat meat palatibility ranges from very good to not so good. it depends a lot on how it is cooked. They produce meat, milk and skin, a useful animal indeed. Goat milk is not as bad as you’d think however i think what they eat would have a major impact on flavour and/ or smell.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:22 am

Goat milk makes good cheese too. We have a goat cheese maker in the county where I live that is doing quite well and even has a factory store. Because of this we have a higher than normal goat population in our county. I don't think goats are in any danger of going extinct.
You go over and under
I go through

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:09 pm

beno wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:35 am

That’s interesting and very true. Goats are a major threat to biodiversity in arid and semi arid Australia. I’ve helped manage mustering contracts that have removed over 60,000goats from western nsw in the past three years. They still keep coming and are helping create more desert where numbers get out of control. at the moment They are worth as much per kilo as lamb!

They are almost the perfect animal for the survivalist/ prepper if you can stop them from destroying your crops, infrastructure and native vegetation. we are in an intense drought and the goats are not only surviving they are still reproducing and thriving. Goat meat palatibility ranges from very good to not so good. it depends a lot on how it is cooked. They produce meat, milk and skin, a useful animal indeed. Goat milk is not as bad as you’d think however i think what they eat would have a major impact on flavour and/ or smell.
RadioLab has an excellent story on how goats were controlled on the Galapagos Islands. Let me try and find the link.

https://www.wnyc.org/widgets/ondemand_p ... 0/&share=1

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:01 pm

My wife is on the fence about goat meat/milk, but I'm a big fan of both, and goat cheese is one of my favorite foods. Goats are definitely on the top of the list when we purchase a house/land.

Lots of local people around here I've talked to plan on doing some hunting if/when food shortages become dire, but I imagine the local wildlife will be hunted to nothing within a month if it gets that bad. At which point, people hunting domestic animals is a concern. I fear that in a really dire food shortage where people haven't eaten in days+ anything alive and edible is going to get dead real quick.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:54 am

if the extinction includes bees, the ones that pollinate the plants, then humans will follow 4 years after.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:31 am

Sir David Attenborough that great Naturalist has just given a talk at the UN.
he called it the collapse of civilisations and the extinction of much of the natural world. the greatest threat in thousands of years.
you can read some of it here: www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article ... rough.html
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”