Hurricanes 2017

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: Hurricanes 2017

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:42 pm

And Jet says shipments to the hurricane area may be delayed. I've been looking up gas cans. Not really in a good place to spend on real NATO cans, but some day. Storing water and storing gas are pretty high on my list now. Everything else (other than training) is pretty decent should something like this pop up in Nebraska. Of course, that would be quite the hurricane.

But as I said to my wife, plenty of flooding has happened in my life time in Iowa and Nebraska.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:05 pm

woodsghost wrote:And Jet says shipments to the hurricane area may be delayed. I've been looking up gas cans. Not really in a good place to spend on real NATO cans, but some day. Storing water and storing gas are pretty high on my list now. Everything else (other than training) is pretty decent should something like this pop up in Nebraska. Of course, that would be quite the hurricane.

But as I said to my wife, plenty of flooding has happened in my life time in Iowa and Nebraska.
The Great Flood of 1993. Was there. Have T-shirt. No hurricane involved.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:10 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
woodsghost wrote:And Jet says shipments to the hurricane area may be delayed. I've been looking up gas cans. Not really in a good place to spend on real NATO cans, but some day. Storing water and storing gas are pretty high on my list now. Everything else (other than training) is pretty decent should something like this pop up in Nebraska. Of course, that would be quite the hurricane.

The Great Flood of 1993. Was there. Have T-shirt. No hurricane involved.
So was I. My dad got a t-shirt too. We lived in Maryland at that time, but so happened to be visiting family in Iowa when things got started.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 pm

For the cost of 2 NATO gas cans you get a 55 drum. A drum will hold more fuel and will work just as well. Just set it up to allow a siphon. If you do not have a truck or trailer to move it to the gas station you can refill it from a 5 gallon can.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:37 pm

raptor wrote:For the cost of 2 NATO gas cans you get a 55 drum. A drum will hold more fuel and will work just as well. Just set it up to allow a siphon. If you do not have a truck or trailer to move it to the gas station you can refill it from a 5 gallon can.
Yeah, that is a great idea for garages, not so good for apartments. I"m still not sure even a NATO can would be good for apartments. I'm still trying to figure that out.

But honestly, thank you for the tip. I"ll use that when I get proper storage facilities, and pass it on to a LEO friend I was discussing it with today. We were chatting about how the eclipse could have gone if people had gotten a bit nervous.

Whatwouldjackdo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead
28 Weeks Later

Post by Whatwouldjackdo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi all.

Just a quick note from Oz to say thanks for sharing all of your experiences and lessons learnt. Certainly given me things to consider. While risk of flood here is minimal the panic buying and it's flow on effects is eye opening.

Also wanted to say how amazing it has been to watch the Cajun/Texas navy and their online coordinators - even from half a world away. Just wow!

Have not met a lot of folks from Texas but I had a mate date a Texas lass way back when. We were out celebrating St Paddy's day when a random angry bloke spent the night getting in my mates face. My mate was a lover night a fighter so brushed it off. As the night draw to a close the little Miss from Texas got jack of this angry blokes continued antics and dropped him. As he lay on the ground wondering what hit him and the nearby security guard having a giggle I truly understood what was meant by "Don't mess with Texas".

Stay safe.

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:40 am

Morning model runs continue to tighten. Hurricane recon is doing a flight today out of Barbados. Keep an eye on this one kids. Any slight westward shift and it's full game on. FL,GA, SC, NC and VA I would be pre-gaming now since so many resources are diverted to TX.
Latest model runs. http://flhurricane.com/images/2017/clark11latest.png

CG

Post by CG » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:55 am

The logistics (and decisions) involved in keeping grocery stores up and running: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/inside-s ... hip-cutter
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:53 am

FEMA Daily Operations Briefing; Sunday, September 3rd, 2017:

Tropical Outlook – Atlantic

Hurricane Irma (CAT 3) (Advisory #16, as of 5:00 a.m. EDT)
• Category 3 Hurricane
• Located 945 miles E of the Leeward Islands
• Located 1,198 miles E of Puerto Rico; 1,137 miles E of USVI
• Moving WSW at 15 mph; turn W forecast on Monday
• Maximum sustained winds 115 mph
• Some additional strengthening forecast through Monday night
• Hurricane force winds extend 25 miles; tropical storm force winds
extend 80 miles

Disturbance 1 (as of 8:00 a.m. EDT)
• Located several hundred miles SW of Cabo Verde Islands
• Moving W to WNW at 10 mph
• Tropical depression could form by end of the week
• Formation chance through 48 hours: Low (near 0%)
• Formation chance through 5 days: Medium (60%)

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:13 am

Latest model runs just kicked out.... not good. At present (note this is long term) models have shifted more to the west as Irma wobbles from sucking up some drier air. Several models have come into agreement that Wilmington, NC is center mass. This is still very early....BUT please keep an eye on this. My previous model link should update with every new model run.

Euro mod.

GFS mod.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:32 am

CG wrote:The logistics (and decisions) involved in keeping grocery stores up and running: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/inside-s ... hip-cutter
Such an excellent find! Every fiction writer should read this and use it to add reality to their stories.

One anecdote spoke to how normal travel went out the window: "We had trouble getting from Houston to Beaumont, Tex. yesterday because the water level was so high. We sent 10 trucks of water over because the city water is tainted. It took 18 hours for a trip that would normally take 90 minutes"
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:34 am

The cans just have to sit there and store gas without leaking fumes or liquid so cans built for war are not necessary.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Old_Man wrote:Latest model runs just kicked out.... not good. At present (note this is long term) models have shifted more to the west as Irma wobbles from sucking up some drier air. Several models have come into agreement that Wilmington, NC is center mass. This is still very early....BUT please keep an eye on this. My previous model link should update with every new model run.

Gosh darn it all to heck. I moved out to NC just a few months ago for work with the family in tow. AND my parents are visiting us in a few weeks.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:09 pm

From ABC (Australia): Tropical Storm Harvey: Texas Governor estimates damages, recovery could reach up to $225 bn.

I was uneasy after reading the article. I don't think that much will be available.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:29 pm

MPMalloy wrote:From ABC (Australia): Tropical Storm Harvey: Texas Governor estimates damages, recovery could reach up to $225 bn.

I was uneasy after reading the article. I don't think that much will be available.
I believe the "$225 billion" is in AU dollars. The article states $150-$180 billion in US dollars. Still, that is a lot.

There was a lot of concern about "can we raise the debt ceiling." Another option mentioned in the article was "paying in installments." That makes the most sense to me.

The issues of natural disaster and world politics (North Korea) are quite the test for our new president. I think we will be ok, but life is more interesting than I'd prefer.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:53 pm

woodsghost wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:From ABC (Australia): Tropical Storm Harvey: Texas Governor estimates damages, recovery could reach up to $225 bn.

I believe the "$225 billion" is in AU dollars. The article states $150-$180 billion in US dollars. Still, that is a lot.

There was a lot of concern about "can we raise the debt ceiling." Another option mentioned in the article was "paying in installments." That makes the most sense to me.

The issues of natural disaster and world politics (North Korea) are quite the test for our new president. I think we will be ok, but life is more interesting than I'd prefer.
I didn't stop to think about AUD. Thanks. I agree about life. :?

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Can somebody tell me why the moderators haven't made a disaster response \ donation thingee for Harvey...
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:25 am

Hurricane Irma chugs west.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/hurri ... chugs-west

Still churning hundreds of miles east of the Caribbean, Hurricane Irma is on a track that could bring it near the Leeward Islands by Wednesday and into the Eastern Bahamas by Friday. Hurricane watches were issued Sunday afternoon by the governments of Antigua, France, and the Netherlands on Sunday afternoon for the islands of Antigua, Barbuda, Anguilla, Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis, Saba, St. Eustatius, Sint Maarten/St. Martin, and Saint Barthelemy. With any luck, Irma’s center and its more dangerous right-hand side will stay just north of the Leewards, Puerto Rico, and Hispaniola. However, Irma is expected to be a powerhouse Category 4 hurricane by that point, so high winds, huge surf, and torrential rains could occur well away from its center. It appears increasingly likely that Irma’s wrath will be focused on parts of The Bahamas late next week, and a major hurricane landfall along the U.S. East Coast is a distinct possibility by Sunday or Monday.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Hurricanes Harvey and Irma might be a cautionary tale for some folks.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-0 ... -are-ready

Better to stock up six days before than to be roaming through floodwaters looking for life's essentials.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-palm- ... heads-west

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:49 pm

FEMA Daily Operations Briefing: Monday, September 4th, 2017 (Labor Day)

Tropical Outlook – Atlantic

Hurricane Irma (CAT 3) (Advisory #20A, as of 8:00 a.m. EDT)
• Located 915 miles E of Puerto Rico; 820 miles E of USVI
• Moving WSW at 14 mph
• Turn W is expected later today, followed by a turn WNW late Tuesday
• On this forecast track, center will move closer to Leeward Islands through Tuesday, then be near northern Leeward Islands by Tuesday night
• Maximum sustained winds 120 mph; additional strengthening forecast through Tuesday night
• Hurricane force winds extend 30 miles; tropical storm force winds extend 140 miles

Disturbance 1 (as of 8:00 a.m. EDT)
• Located several hundred miles SW of Cabo Verde Islands
• Moving WNW at 10-15 mph
• Tropical depression likely to form later this week
• Formation chance through 48 hours: Low (30%)
• Formation chance through 5 days: High (70%)

Disturbance 2 (as of 8:00 a.m. EDT)
• Located over southwestern Gulf of Mexico
• Drifting WNW; marginally conducive for some development
• Formation chance through 48 hours: Low (20%)
• Formation chance through 5 days: Medium (40%)

Hurricane Irma Preparation-Current Situation:

Hurricane Irma is located 915 miles E of Puerto Rico and continues to approach the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Hurricane Watches in effect for St. Martin, Nevis, Barbuda, & Antigua

Preparations
• Puerto Rico and USVI ports open (Port condition WHISKEY)
• Meals: 115k bottles of water and 11k meals currently available;
Additional supplies in DC
• Shelters / Occupants: Housing mission has been prepped

FEMA Region II
• RRCC: Level II (24/7) with all ESFs & DCE for day shift; ESFs 1,3,8,12 &

DCE for night shift; RWC: Steady State
• US Virgin Islands (USVI) EOC: Partial activation
• Puerto Rico (PR) EOC: activation level will be determined after 11:00 am
• IMAT A: Demobilized from TX for Harvey; redeployed to USVI
• IMAT B: Deployed to USVI
• IMAT C: Deployed to PR
• Pre-designated FCO: en route to PR
• Maynard MERS deploying to PR & USVI
• USACE, DMAT and USGS in PR
• Logistics: team at DC in PR; 2 ISBs will be established; CONUS
supporting ISB location TBD
• US&R: Red IST staging in Herndon, VA; VA-TF2 deploying to PR

FEMA Region IV
• RRCC: will activate to Level II (day shift only) on Sept 5, with all ESFs & DCE
• IMAT-1, IMAT-2, and LNOs: on stand-by
• TN EOC: Monitoring

FEMA HQ
• NRCC: Level I (24/7); NWC: Steady State
• FEMA Corps: 2 teams deployed to PR and Atlanta, GA
• RX IMAT: deployed to PR

If anyone could decode the above, I know that I would appreciate it. :D

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:58 pm

"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:01 pm

News outlets are now reporting that Irma is Cat 4.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Puerto Rico & Florida have both declared a State of Emergency ahead of Irma.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:09 pm

60 deaths are now attributed to Hurricane Harvey-Texas Gov't.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”