Russian ambassador assassinated in Ankara, Turkey

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Russian ambassador assassinated in Ankara, Turkey

Post by dogbane » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:13 pm

Russian coverage:
The ambassador, Andrey Karlov, was shot as he was delivering a speech on the opening of the exhibition “Russia in the eyes of Turks.”

Photos purportedly showing the perpetrator bearing a firearm are now increasingly circulating on social media. Users are also posting pictures which they say show the Russian ambassador lying on the ground after having been shot.The perpetrator, who was wearing a suit and a tie, shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ (‘God is great’ in Arabic) during the attack.

Following the shooting of Karlov, the assailant shouted: “Don't forget Aleppo! Don't forget Syria!”
“Only death can take me away from here. Whoever has a role in this cruelty, they will pay for it one by one. They will,” the man went on to say. Since last year, Russia has been providing Syrian government forces with air support in their fight against terror groups and rebels.

Turkish NTV broadcaster says that three other people were also injured in the attack on the ambassador.

The attacker has been killed by Turkish Special Forces, Turkish Anadolu news agency reports. Russian Interfax news agency, citing a source in the Turkish military, also confirms that the gunman was neutralized.
Folks are pointing out that the assassination occurred in a NATO state. No doubt the assassin is a non-state actor, but so was Princip.

Worth keeping tabs on this story for a while.
Mostly not here anymore.

dogbane

Re: Russian ambassador assassinated in Ankara, Turkey

Post by dogbane » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:46 pm

The gunman has been identified as Ankara police officer Mevlüt Mert Altintaş, part of the Ankara police department's special operations unit (a SWAT cop): http://www.businessinsider.com/russias- ... ra-2016-12

Despite Altintaş' purported use of al-Nusra slogans at the scene, Ankara's mayor has suggested he is a Gulenist, the people blamed for the recent coup attempt in Turkey.
Mostly not here anymore.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Russia indicating that it is not blaming the Erdoğan government:
Relations between Moscow and Ankara have long been fraught over the conflict, the two supporting opposing sides, however ties were warming in recent months. Russia said in the hours after the attack that the incident was a "lowly terrorist attack," and that it would not overshadow ties between the two nations."
http://www.jpost.com/International/Repo ... ded-475852
Mostly not here anymore.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:35 pm

Pretty dramatic pictures from various news outlets.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Wow, those are... surreal, for lack of a better word.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Man, I don't know how the Turks really could have prevented this if he was a police officer. It's not good any way you look at it.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:48 pm

Am I alone in thinking the photos looked....staged?. No blood from Ded Russki?

Dunno, so much that gets reported from that AO is sketchy....esp if the word Syria is used.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:57 pm

There is blood in the photo. Look closely at the lower photo you can see it pooling around his head. This is mot staged it is too well documented. The ambassador is an ex-ambassador now.

Ambassadors getting murdered is unfortunately not unusual. He is not a crown prince in the line of royal succession. He is a government employee and as such typical not worth risking WW-3.

Still very interesting and will likely lead to a purge of his bosses and subordinates by Turkish authorities.

We live in interesting and stressful times.
Last edited by raptor on Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:06 pm

Confucius meant it as a curse: "May you live in interesting times."
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

ssgcmw

Post by ssgcmw » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:27 pm

TacAir wrote:No blood from Ded Russki?
a) As stated before, you can see a little around his head

b) He looks fairly portly. If he was hit center-mass in the back his body could be covering the blood

c) If death was quick, the heart stops pumping and gravity will only pull out so much before coagulation kicks in

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:41 pm

yossarian wrote:Wow, those are... surreal, for lack of a better word.
TacAir wrote:Am I alone in thinking the photos looked....staged?.
The photos are very striking. I think that between the number of really good cameras out there that can capture clear, high res images and motion and the increasing storage capacity of cameras we're starting to see an increase in "action" pictures that used to either have to be expected (or staged) or one in a million shots. What was a one in a million* shot is now one in a hundred and it's easy to take hundreds of pictures.
*I'm using 'one in a million' in the colloquial sense, with a literal million pictures still being a staggering number.

What's going to be really interesting is when people are taking high res video in all directions and we'll be able to pop on our VR goggles and walk around historic events. Of course, many historical events are going to be the kind of thing we really don't want to walk around and I think we'll get an increasing sense of not being able to trust images due to extremely realistic fakes being relatively easy to produce.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:57 pm

quazi wrote:
yossarian wrote:Wow, those are... surreal, for lack of a better word.
TacAir wrote:Am I alone in thinking the photos looked....staged?.
The photos are very striking. I think that between the number of really good cameras out there that can capture clear, high res images and motion and the increasing storage capacity of cameras we're starting to see an increase in "action" pictures that used to either have to be expected (or staged) or one in a million shots. What was a one in a million* shot is now one in a hundred and it's easy to take hundreds of pictures.
*I'm using 'one in a million' in the colloquial sense, with a literal million pictures still being a staggering number.

What's going to be really interesting is when people are taking high res video in all directions and we'll be able to pop on our VR goggles and walk around historic events. Of course, many historical events are going to be the kind of thing we really don't want to walk around and I think we'll get an increasing sense of not being able to trust images due to extremely realistic fakes being relatively easy to produce.
It was also under professional lighting for the gallery and presumably attended by professional photographers.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:57 am

These weren't pictures, these are stills from video. Watch the video, funker 530 had it up, definitely real. You can see the rounds passing through his body, dusturbing his clothes, ie tie being propelled away from his body before he ever reacts.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:26 pm

The cameraman said that he had not planned on going to the event and decided to go at the last minute. The ex-cop doing the patented Travolta move is also no more.

Despite Altintaş' purported use of al-Nusra slogans at the scene, Ankara's mayor has suggested he is a Gulenist, the people blamed for the recent coup attempt in Turkey.
You know who else were Gulenist's? The N A Z I's. And all people who beat kittens.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”