How did Venezuela end up this way?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: How did Venezuela end up this way?

Post by moab » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:02 am

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:15 pm
Miami Herald -Venezuela forces killed thousands, then covered it up, U.N. says

GENEVA — Venezuelan special forces have carried out thousands of extrajudicial killings in the past 18 months and then manipulated crime scenes to make it look as if the victims had been resisting arrest, the United Nations said Thursday in a report detailing wide-ranging government abuses targeting political opponents.

Special Action Forces described by witnesses as “death squads” killed 5,287 people in 2018 and another 1,569 by mid-May of this year, in what are officially termed by the Venezuelan government “Operations for the Liberation of the People,” U.N. investigators reported.

Laying out a detailed description of a lawless system of oppression, the report says the actual number of deaths could be much higher. It cites accounts by independent groups who report more than 9,000 killings for “resistance to authority” over the same period.

The report, which U.N. human rights chief Michelle Bachelet will present to the Human Rights Council in Geneva on Friday, delivers a scathing critique of President Nicolás Maduro’s embattled government and its handling of Venezuela’s deepening political and economic crisis.
I think the ones left are simply afraid.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:27 pm

moab

Post by moab » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:33 am

Isn't it a little weird that we never heard back from that guy in Venezuela? lol.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:39 pm

moab wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:33 am
Isn't it a little weird that we never heard back from that guy in Venezuela? lol.
The Dentist?

moab

Post by moab » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:27 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:39 pm
moab wrote:
The Dentist?
IDK what he was. The guy living in Venezuela that was commenting in this thread.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:36 am

He's probably dead or too fearful to even open sites like this up anymore.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 am

moab wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:27 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:39 pm
moab wrote:
The Dentist?
IDK what he was. The guy living in Venezuela that was commenting in this thread.
There were a few Venezuela posters in this thread, but they have all eventually "gone dark". While the situation in Venezuela would probably still give good odds that they are still alive at least, it would also give good odds that they are hard-up for spare time/resources to continue commenting here. My best-case hope is that they've decided to get out of dodge and are currently struggling to get life back together somewhere else, but there are of course worse scenarios... :ohdear:
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

plagaboy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland.

Post by plagaboy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:43 pm

Hi! Still alive & still in Vzla, I've just been really busy trying to get my surgery done.

Things here have calmed down a lot politically speaking, some small demonstration here and there about salaries and healthcare but nothing big.

Economically the situation is awful, today the US $ just reached Bs. 23.000, meaning that the min wage is now a bit under $2 a month. Basic goods are widely available, just too expensive. Common pantry staples are becoming luxury items, and with the coming start of classes families are struggling to get by, a single kindergarten book can cost up to Bs. 150.000, a whole list of school supplies can easily go north of a million Bs.

I can't say for sure how much people have fled the country, internally some people say that up to 20% of the population have left and while it's difficult to get a really accurate number, it's really noticeable that a good chunk of the population is not there; empty houses, job offers, less mayhem on public transport and just by walking down the street you can notice how less crowded everything is. There's a running joke in WhatsApp groups that there are less and less +58 numbers, which is Vzla area code.

I believe that this is the main reason for the apparent stability right now, millions have left and besides the huge relief that it represents to our dying infrastructure, it also generates an influx of money due to people sending money to help their relatives here.

Hopelessness can be felt in the air, people have just resigned that there'll be no change at all, most people are just trying to see how to get out of here.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:21 pm

plagaboy wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:43 pm
Hi! Still alive & still in Vzla, I've just been really busy trying to get my surgery done.
Glad you're still around, plagaboy.

I hope you'll forgive me if I wish you had better news, though. Best of luck to you.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:23 am

From Reuters: Venezuela investigates Guaido over photo with suspected Colombian criminals

Does anyone know if there is anything to this?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:28 pm

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:31 pm

plagaboy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland.

Post by plagaboy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:57 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:23 am
From Reuters: Venezuela investigates Guaido over photo with suspected Colombian criminals

Does anyone know if there is anything to this?
He did appear in the photo with them, he says that he didn't knew who they were but it has been confirmed by colombian police that both have been arrested and are linked to "Los Rastrojos" a drug trafficking group derived from some autodefenzas.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:40 pm

From the Visual Capitalist: The Most Miserable Countries in the World

moab

Post by moab » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:55 pm

https://apnews.com/981415d41c14422ab1cb ... ce=Twitter

Venezuelans selling their possessions at flea markets to flee the country.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”