Major DDoS attacks on internet sites today

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Major DDoS attacks on internet sites today

Post by Valarius » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:37 pm

http://www.rgj.com/story/tech/2016/10/2 ... /92507806/
At least two successive waves of online attacks blocked multiple major websites Friday, at times making it impossible for many users on the East Coast to access Twitter, Spotify, Netflix, Amazon, Tumblr and Reddit.
Other websites are perfectly fine and dandy, but be aware.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Major DDoS attacks on internet sites today

Post by Halfapint » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Sounds like they are actually attacking one of the companies that provide infrastructure to the interwebz. Not just specific cites.... It mostly effected the eastern seaboard but it'll be interesting to see who set this up. Perhaps Russia?

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/internet- ... s-dns-dyn/
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Perhaps Russia?
Gotta figure it was whoever was sickest of hearing the media reporting about inane people making inane comments on Twitter.

I bet Amazon loses a metric asston of money every minute they are off line. I wonder if they plan on annihilating whoever it was?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:Image
Perhaps Russia?
Gotta figure it was whoever was sickest of hearing the media reporting about inane people making inane comments on Twitter.

I bet Amazon loses a metric asston of money every minute they are off line. I wonder if they plan on annihilating whoever it was?
I think you can order that with free shipping if you have prime
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:38 pm

oh and btw PSN is down too. So even if Netflix was up, I still can't watch it.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:57 pm

Some of the better and more important internet boards are down too. It is good thing this one has lost so much traffic over the years. I don't think it hit a blip on the attackers radar.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:47 pm

That explains this morning's malfunction. I lost both mobile data and cellular voice comms. Total loss of signal around 9:00 Pacific time. The only other time I've seen that was a network overload during the ' 11 SW blackout.

Infected mobile devices?

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:54 pm

So far looks like the only impact personally will be I can't finish binge watching Luke Cage. Oh noes!

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:37 pm

Close_enough wrote:That explains this morning's malfunction. I lost both mobile data and cellular voice comms. Total loss of signal around 9:00 Pacific time. The only other time I've seen that was a network overload during the ' 11 SW blackout.

Infected mobile devices?
Traced back to a Chinese chipset used in IoT (Internet of Things) devices - like CCTV cameras and such.

The chipset is (seemingly) both cheap and stupid easy to hack...even a script kiddie could have pulled this off.....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:09 pm

TacAir wrote:
Close_enough wrote:That explains this morning's malfunction. I lost both mobile data and cellular voice comms. Total loss of signal around 9:00 Pacific time. The only other time I've seen that was a network overload during the ' 11 SW blackout.

Infected mobile devices?
Traced back to a Chinese chipset used in IoT (Internet of Things) devices - like CCTV cameras and such.

The chipset is (seemingly) both cheap and stupid easy to hack...even a script kiddie could have pulled this off.....
Especially since the code was posted publically at the beginning of the month, and this was more or less predicted as soon as that happened.
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/sou ... -released/

This article was hosted via facebook since that wasn't directly affected.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-verg ... 2870952387
A Mirai botnet essentially takes advantage of the vulnerable security of Internet of Things devices, meaning any smart home gadget or connected device anywhere that has weak login credentials. Mirai, a piece of malware, works by scanning the internet for those devices that still have factory default or static username and password combinations. It then takes control of those devices, turning them into bots that can then be wielded as part of a kind of army to overload networks and servers with nonsense requests that slow speeds or even incite total shutdowns.
This article(at the end) suggests that the attack was primarily directed at one of DNS's customers, perhaps Sony Playstation.
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/10 ... -internet/
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:11 pm

This From Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... os-attack/

"Last month, security researcher Bruce Schneier started sounding the alarm that someone or something was carefully probing the internet for weakness. A scary prospect on its own, and one followed shortly thereafter by the full release of the Mirai code for any ne'er-do-well to use. Today's attack, it would seem, is a confluence of these two events: An attacker who has been carefully surveying the internet for weak points is now openly wielding one of the most capable blunt weapons we've ever seen blast the web.

The most terrifying part: This is probably only the beginning.
"
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”