West Coast Is About To Get Pummeled!

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

West Coast Is About To Get Pummeled!

Post by Halfapint » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:15 pm

In short they say the largest storm in history will hit the west coast, mostly Oregon, Washington, and BC. Saying 75-150(??!!!???) mile per hour winds with 40 foot waves along with storm surge.

http://www.king5.com/mb/weather/powerfu ... /334174040

https://medium.com/@hul10/mega-storm-pa ... .3fuboqci4

My roommate is a store director for a Safeway, all water, and supplies are cleared out of his store, and the warehouses are running low, power is expected (currently 24,000 people without power). We'll see how things go, hopefully it's not as bad as "they" say. However meteorologist are saying they are thinking is going to be on the worst end of the scale.

Meanwhile I'm going camping for a friends wedding. Luckily on the east side so shouldn't be that bad.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Close_enough

Re: West Coast Is About To Get Pummeled!

Post by Close_enough » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:23 pm

Stay safe everybody

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Ah so that is why it has been so windy on my property. Things you miss when you are off grid, why the weather has gotten so intense.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:57 pm

footage of the tornado in OR

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:08 pm

Weather has definitely picked up here as well.

Zembecowicz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by Zembecowicz » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:11 pm

I expect I'll lose power tomorrow, almost did last night. I filled my generator up when I got home from work on Wednesday. We have lots of firewood, lamp oil, and propane so things should be fine unless a big tree hits the house.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Sounds like a stormy day on Kodiak ISland.

Stay safe and warm!

At least it will storm across a weekend, so hopefully nobody will lose any workdays.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Airport has been having power surges which has been messing with our belt systems. I know a few people have lost power. I believe my place is out currently. Before I leave to go camping in chainsawing 2 trees down if it's not to gusty.

Luckily I've got a base camp tent with shit loads of tie downs. Hope my friends wedding venue has a generator!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:55 am

Nothing much in happening SoCal.

The devastating El Nino was a no show.

The Giant Earthquake triggered by the Salton Sea Swarm never came.

Current temp outdoors is 71 deg F with light clouds and I'm okay with it. I will prepare for disasters but don't wish for them. :mrgreen: All of you ZS'ers from Eureka, California and north stay safe and keep the rest of us updated!
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:52 pm

teotwaki wrote:Nothing much in happening SoCal.

The devastating El Nino was a no show.

The Giant Earthquake triggered by the Salton Sea Swarm never came.

Current temp outdoors is 71 deg F with light clouds and I'm okay with it. I will prepare for disasters but don't wish for them. :mrgreen: All of you ZS'ers from Eureka, California and north stay safe and keep the rest of us updated!
SMH even the disasters have left the state... :awesome:

How goes it up north in the storm area?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:46 pm

SMH even the disasters have left the state... :awesome:
They will always have South LA. :lol:

The drought in NoCal was pretty much over before this hit. I imagine it will really be over now. Now how to ship all that water down South... :?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Just minor power flickers so far. We'll see what happens in a few hours when the winds start in earnest.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:24 am

Lots of wind, HUGE amounts of rain, puddles in garages from it working under the door seals.
A little flickering of the lights, but the county does a great job clearing branches around the power lines.

Have to clean a gutter and nail down a piece on the back porch roof. Oh, and sweep the water out of the garage.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Zembecowicz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by Zembecowicz » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:02 am

It was a non-event on the Western side of Mt. Hood. I guess it was still a good opportunity to make sure I have all the stuff I need.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:50 am

Decently windy here, but nowhere near 75 MPH. The interwebs says 11 MPH, but I'd guess it's over 30 MPH at the moment.

The power has not gone out, but I have had to chase down stuff blowing all over.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:57 pm

I'll just necromance this ol' thread.....

We just got a cellphone alert for flood warnings in the county and when I checked the Weather Radio they specifically called out my city. It has been raining non-stop since 5 AM and now we have high winds. Time to review the bug out bags and other gear.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:04 pm

teotwaki wrote:I'll just necromance this ol' thread.....

We just got a cellphone alert for flood warnings in the county and when I checked the Weather Radio they specifically called out my city. It has been raining non-stop since 5 AM and now we have high winds. Time to review the bug out bags and other gear.
Now would be a good time to try out that river bug out route :D

John Titor was right

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:09 pm

flybynight wrote:
teotwaki wrote:I'll just necromance this ol' thread.....

Now would be a good time to try out that river bug out route :D

If my goal was to get to the ocean it would be really easy :crazy:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:22 pm

You in LA area? Been getting text from LA friends about how bad it is. Looks terrible, wind rain and drought don't work well together.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Halfapint wrote:You in LA area? Been getting text from LA friends about how bad it is. Looks terrible, wind rain and drought don't work well together.
Yes! South of LA. I just went to the river to hang out for a SAR attempt but no person/body was spotted. The flow of the river was ramping up from 7,000 CFS to 19,000 CFS in just 3 hours. Multiple departments covered several spans across the river so that if the victim was missed in one area the downriver team might have a better chance. Included LADWP, Calif. Beaches life guard, Costa Mesa Fire & Police, Huntington Beach Fire and Police, USCG, Anaheim Fire & Police, Santa Ana Fire & Police and many others.

Note the water level is still well below the sign but way above the bike path on the downriver side of the bridge

Setting up rescue lines using air filled fire hoses hung by ropes down into the water

Looking upriver

Traffic control

Rescue swimmer getting updates

River level is rising swiftly

Watching the upriver flow for the victim

Rescue swimmer watching the upriver side.

Getting darker along with high winds and no sign of the victim so after a couple of hours the gear was torn down and everyone departed.

This graph shows how the river's flow ramped up

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:07 am

Crazy :crazy: I thought you said they had flood control dams to keep the river from overflowing its channel?

John Titor was right

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:13 pm

flybynight wrote:Crazy :crazy: I thought you said they had flood control dams to keep the river from overflowing its channel?
They do have two major dams and their outflow was held pretty constant.. There was no overflow anywhere along the banks of the river so I'm not sure what prompts the question. Let me know if I can dig anything up for you. At 20,000 CFS the river was only 1/3 to 1/2 full. In the picture below you can see the water is well below the top of the banks. The flooding in the picture is where the bike path goes under the bridge so it is always subject to flooding

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:57 pm

teotwaki wrote:
flybynight wrote:Crazy :crazy: I thought you said they had flood control dams to keep the river from overflowing its channel?
They do have two major dams and their outflow was held pretty constant.. There was no overflow anywhere along the banks of the river so I'm not sure what prompts the question. Let me know if I can dig anything up for you. At 20,000 CFS the river was only 1/3 to 1/2 full. In the picture below you can see the water is well below the top of the banks. The flooding in the picture is where the bike path goes under the bridge so it is always subject to flooding

It's been awhile since you explained all this to me. I thought I remembered you saying you were going to use the bike path as a bug out route

John Titor was right

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:28 pm

flybynight wrote:It's been awhile since you explained all this to me. I thought I remembered you saying you were going to use the bike path as a bug out route
The part of the bike path that flooded is where it crosses under the automobile bridge but a person can go left and bike across the bridge so the flooding is no show stopper.

In that previous information gathering effort I rode both sides of the river and identified additional crossing points such as this abandoned railroad bridge. In this photo you can see that the path splits with an undercrossing and a ground level path to the left across the face of the bridge.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”