Kaliningrad

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Kaliningrad

Post by Neptune Glory » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:49 pm

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/719 ... ops-Poland
Moscow has confirmed the army is moving the nuclear-capable Iskander-M missiles into Kaliningrad - bordering Poland and Lithuania.

At the same time, 650 British troops are being deployed to eastern Europe to repel Russia's expanding dominance in the region.

Lithuania, neighbouring Kaliningrad and a member of NATO, has said the government will protest to Moscow, while Germany and Poland are also expected to react angrily to the missile deployment, particularly as the Iskander can hit targets 450 miles away, putting the German capital Berlin in range.

NATO is readying a fast-reaction force of several thousands troops in the east of Europe alongside Britain's commitment to an additional 650 soldiers.
Topic worth discussing?
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

woodsghost

Re: Kaliningrad

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:37 pm

Worth discussing.

I have kinda a lame "seriously who did NOT see this coming?" comment. Can't quite figure out how to phrase it though. I also have a fairly lame "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" comment, and some stuff about Hitler and the League of Nations, but the exact and proper wording eludes me.

I hope things turn out well.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:19 pm

There has not been Europe - Russia war in quite a while. Hopefully there will not be.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Honestly I view this with little alarm. A Typhoon class SSBN is IMO a much better first strike weapon. This is posturing.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:41 pm

"nuclear-capable Iskander-M missiles "

Magic words "nuclear-capable" does not mean it is armed with nukes.

The road-mobile Iskander is the second attempt to replace the Scud missile. The first attempt, the Oka, was eliminated under the INF Treaty.

The Iskander appears to have several different conventional warheads, including a cluster munitions warhead, a fuel-air explosive enhanced-blast warhead, a high explosive-fragmentation warhead, an earth penetrator for bunker busting and an electromagnetic pulse device for anti-radar missions.
The missile can also carry nuclear warheads.

The first successful launch occurred in 1996. So, newish, but hardly 'modern' - an upgraded Scud....

The Russian Iskander-M travels at hypersonic speed of 2100–2600 m/s (Mach 6–7) at a height of 50 km. The Iskander-M weighs 4615 kg, carries a warhead of 710–800 kg, has a range of 500 km and achieves a (claimed) circular error probable (CEP) of 5–7 meters.

For some perspective - a common U.S.A.F. Mark 84 is a 2000 lb (907 Kg) general purpose bomb.

Add a strap-on guidance kit and it becomes a Paveway class-device GBU-15 or GBU-31).
Accurate to inches. Will make a 50+ foot wide (and up to 36 feet deep) crater.

A single BONE (B1-B) can carry up to 24 of these munitions.... Btw - all of the type weapons claimed for the Iskander have a counter part in the US inventory - munitions with a well-known and proven track record.

I'd worry more if the Reds started moving SU-24s into the area.....which they won't - because the few that they have that can fly are in the middle east...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:16 pm

:oops:

I don't know what I was thinking. This is all media play up to fit into a certain narrative of the presidential election. That's what I get for ignoring the election.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”