Clown Madness

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anianna

Clown Madness

Post by Anianna » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:52 am

I don't think this is DICE because it is clowns, but I think it's DICE because it is becoming a phenomenon that criminals are making use of. A very early sighting was a clown wandering streets in the wee hours of the morning in Wisconsin and that was tied to a movie short. The next thing I heard was some clowns in the woods behind an apartment complex where at least one child claimed a clown tried to lure him into the woods with cash. This grew to worse levels of danger as residents began firing blindly into the woods because clowns. Early on, these reports came with speculation that it was some marketing stunt. If it is, it has gotten out of hand.

Some punks in Philly have taken it to a new level, threatening local schools and inciting gang wars. Ohio seems to be arresting kids all over the place for "clown threats". One recent sighting in Virginia was just an autistic boy who loves Stephen King. I can't imagine what the mother was thinking given the growing fears and the potential threats to her Pennywise-clad tween. The news keeps reporting more and more sightings as well as social media threats from "clown accounts" to schools across the nation.

Of course, most of these are probably hoaxes, but the jump in hoaxes taxes police departments and increases the risk of missing a real threat. It also raises fears and the risk for hysterical behavior in response. This phenomenon may just go quietly into the night, but it has the potential to get people killed.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Clown Madness

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 am

Anianna wrote: the jump in hoaxes taxes police departments and increases the risk of missing a real threat.
Which would be the actual killer clowns.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:39 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Anianna wrote: the jump in hoaxes taxes police departments and increases the risk of missing a real threat.
Are you serious? Or just clowning around? :clownshoes:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:05 pm

flybynight wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:
Are you serious? Or just clowning around? :clownshoes:
Take this seriously, don't turn this forum into a circus.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Just remember, if you are attacked by clowns, go for the juggler!

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:28 pm

We had some local clown threats shut down a few schools here in Grand Junction CO. Word I heard was the threat was actually directed at a Grand Junction in a different state but through the wonders of facebook wires got crossed.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

grennels

Post by grennels » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Might have to change the name to "Clown Squad".
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:08 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
These guys?

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 pm

This what I think about it

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:33 am

Some places have actually started to ban clown costumes for Halloween. A few people wearing clown costumes have been arrested for menacing and disturbing the peace type crimes recently.

# dead and injured so far = 0

Property damage = $0
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:17 am

I sort of wonder how legit clowns feel about this thing. Say you're a pro clown on your way to a birthday party and you cause a panic. Should pro clowns worry about their safety?

When I was a teenager, the church I attended had a "clown worship" thing, where members of the youth group would dress as clowns and travel around to other churches putting on shows. My girlfriend was a member of the clown group and I'd travel with them sometimes. I personally thought it was freaky even then.
Mostly not here anymore.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:23 am

If I were still a clown, I'd be very annoyed by this trend. It puts you at risk for trouble with authorities or a potential confrontation with scared people who aren't thinking logically (the guy who did Gags as a marketing ploy said he had a gun pulled on him). I used to be a country clown for church festivals. I'd paint my face clown style, put my hair in pigtails, and don some overalls over a brightly-colored shirt and goofy shoes. I did balloon animals, goofy skits, and face painting. I sometimes did craft stations. If I were doing this now, I don't think I would feel comfortable driving to the venue already wearing my face paint. I'd have to get there early and do the job in the church bathroom. This wouldn't be feasible for some performers, like guys going to kids' parties. You don't want the kids to see you out of costume.

∩(=^_^=)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Clowns don't bother me but I know plenty of people that are terrified by them. Like terrified that they can't even watch them on TV or in a movie terrified. I don't know where these feelings come from.
You go over and under
I go through

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:03 pm

There have been psychological studies about this. It seems the general idea is that it is a subconscious fear mainly attributed to personalities that place a great deal of importance on the idea of societal order. A clown can do things like smash a pie in your face, wear clothing unsuitable in society, play tricks on you that other members of a society can not. If normal people did these things they would be punished for doing them. For instance if Stertcutus walks up to me, slams a pie in my face for no reason and then laughs at me about it. Then he is gonna get a black eye :lol: . Not so with the clown. I am expected to just take it. For a person who subconsciously fears a lack of societal order the clown is a thing to be feared.

That or a clown attacked you as a kid.

Stercutus wrote:Clowns don't bother me but I know plenty of people that are terrified by them. Like terrified that they can't even watch them on TV or in a movie terrified. I don't know where these feelings come from.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:07 pm

I don't much care for clowns with their painted on smile. Smoky Robinson not withstanding. For any professional clowns I recommend a simple magnetic sign to put on each side of your automobiles front doors that say Coco the clown available at… Then they would understand that you are a professional.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:I don't much care for clowns with their painted on smile. Smoky Robinson not withstanding. For any professional clowns I recommend a simple magnetic sign to put on each side of your automobiles front doors that say Coco the clown available at… Then they would understand that you are a professional.
Sure, but if you're working as a clown, you might not have that kind of money. :clownshoes:

∩(=^_^=)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:02 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:I don't much care for clowns with their painted on smile. Smoky Robinson not withstanding. For any professional clowns I recommend a simple magnetic sign to put on each side of your automobiles front doors that say Coco the clown available at… Then they would understand that you are a professional.
That is a good idea.

You go over and under
I go through

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:55 am

There was a troll account on Facebook (it's no longer active or searchable) threatening to kill people at the highschool in the next town over (20 min distance). There are still screenshots, I'm sure I could look up. The jest of it was they would kill people according to Allah's will, with no other affiliation to a religious organization prior to this, I think they are just trying to incite panic.
Locally we've had rumors that there are people in clown masks roaming the college campus. I've yet to see anything myself, but I've varied my schedule a bit to be safe. Generally I go to the college gym around 0530, due to the low lit conditions and inability to carry, I've switched to using the gym in town I pay for if I go during a time there is no sun out (which isn't a bad practice in general to be honest).
Hopefully the stupidity calms down shortly after halloween, I'm definitely in agreement that this really sucks for the poor dudes making a living as a pro clown.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:32 am

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:07 pm

There's a map. :rofl:

Interactive version can be found here.

∩(=^_^=)

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:17 pm

That map needs to be updated. :x :x :x

"Concord clown attempts to snatch 1-year-old girl from mother’s arms"
http://kron4.com/2016/10/05/concord-clo ... hers-arms/

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Three incidents here in the Detroit area in the last few days: A robbery by someone in a clown costume; a boy was grabbed and cut by one with a knife; and two women were accosted by a group of clowns with baseball bats.

I'd bet that all these were regular criminals just taking advantage of the current hysteria, but I also believe that someone is eventually going to get killed while trying to play a prank. Remember the guy in a bigfoot costume who was killed by a car a few years ago?...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detr ... ake-clowns
DETROIT - Police all over Metro Detroit are getting frustrated with the sudden epidemic of clown-related complaints from residents.

One of the more serious incidents happened Wednesday in Brownstown Township, when police said a man wearing a clown mask walked into a Walgreen's with a pistol and held up a clerk.

The clown also threatened two customers on his way out of the store before driving off in his blue Impala.

"It's sweeping the nation," Detroit police chief James Craig said. "It's not a joke. It's not funny. It's creating fear in our neighborhoods."

A young boy in Sterling Heights said he was cut by a man dressed as a clown Tuesday. The boy said the man had a butter knife and dragged it across his arm.

Shortly after the 7-year-old boy was injured, two women called Sterling Heights police and said three men in clown masks lunged at them with baseball bats.

The incidents have law enforcement officials concerned about the escalating violence.

"If someone in a clown mask approaches someone quickly and it's mistaken for a weapon, and that person is armed, they could shoot that person, whether it's rightful or not will be determined after the face," Brownstown Twp. Deputy Chief Robert Mathews said.

Craig hopes the epidemic won't last.

"Knock it off," Craig said. "Crime is a crime. Criminal is criminal. If you go out and you engage in criminal activity, we're going to find you and arrest you."

Over the weekend, a video was posted to Twitter showing a creepy clown standing at a car wash in Clinton Township and waving at the camera. It was shared thousands of times.

turbo6

Post by turbo6 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:46 pm

It's like 1981 in Boston all over again.

High concentration of mercury found in the water in the North Shore at the time as well.

Something ain't right here.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Hmm... copy cats... plus difficult to identify or get a description... sprinkle in some paranoia... and some sick individuals. Maybe it will bring on the great clown Purge of 2016

They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”