Munich shooting

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mzmc
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Started out with Resident Evil, but I got better.

Re: Munich shooting

Post by mzmc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Well... fewer people than expected turned up. Nothing happened.

Can we please get back to normal now, whatever that is?
May contain traces of derp.

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:38 am

A little more information has been dripping through.

Basically, all suspects of the four incidents had been in therapy for various reasons.

The backpack bomber has not been affiliated with ISIS, yet the attack is "claimed' by them.
Which leads to another, interesting and scary sensation: Instant Terrorism, as in: Weirdos and criminals don't need to be part of an organization, it is enough to say "ISIS" seconds before they do whatever they are about to do and the attack will be claimed to be an act of a "brave soldier yaddayaddayadda".

Same goes with the axe guy in the train.

The munich shooter has fired 53 rounds, killing 9 people and himself. His weapon was a "salute gun", something like a poorly disfunctioned real handgun. The barrel is obstructed, but the weapon cycles. Prohibited Item in germany, I spare you the details of how alleged prohibited guns are made legal by federal police, this one was none of it and never had the chance to be, unless it would have been deactivated by german standards. The gun was used in Slovakia, who have lower standards in regard to deactivation of firearms. Like I already said, a EU firearms directive is in the works with this point as the only reasonable and logic suggestion for improvement. Common EU-wide standards, based upon german standards, which are the highest and strictest.

The moderate discussion is a rare thing. Unlike prior attacks with guns involved, the call for more gun control is scarce, as the gun was illegal in the first place. Like mzmc has said, it is kinda hard to make it more illegal. Full auto, firing tracer sabots, that would be the only two things I can think of. Sure, you have a few meatheads who will never learn.

One of two police unions is dancing around the topic, bringing up "more control of firearms owners" yet admitting that 95% of guns used in crimes are illegally owned, with the other union stating "And then what? Ban kitchen knifes?". We have a few politicians who show a remarkable lack of knowledge and intelligence on that matter, though.

The fact that anything can be a weapon if someone has a malicious intent is slowly settling in. Equally, the collective efforts in regards to fugitives are scanned all across the politcal spectrum. Gov'ment wants to improve the deportation process of offenders and fugitives who have frauded personal data to seek asylum. One should note: political asylum is granted for everyone. If someone comes from a hot zone and knocks on the door, this person will not be refused and will not be asked to leave as long as this person obeys the rules (in theory). On the other hand, asking for citizenship is a bureacratic process, and some people have tried to take advantage of refugees trailing towards middle europe.

Sure enough, no one is going to be sent back into a civil war zone, and I am glad about this, but things are about to change. On the same note, a general suspicion is not the issue, although immigrants are on their toes.

We could add in the little tyrant from constantinopel, but I think it would be against ZS rules. Let's just say that is a much larger issue or will become in the long term.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:50 am

As of today, evidence shows both the train attacker and the backpack bomber had made phone calls to and IM chat contact with people in Saudi Arabia. The contacts have been affiliated with ISIS.

Investigators are quite sure the backpack exploded unintended, leaving only the bomber himself blown up.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”