Active shooter, Baton Rouge, targeting police

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Active shooter, Baton Rouge, targeting police

Post by sheddi » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:10 am

Active shooter in Baton Rouge. Seven police officers reported shot, possibly three dead. Not clear whether the shooter is still at large.

Source: 7 officers shot; 3 feared dead in Baton Rouge
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/17/us/ba ... index.html
A man with a gun opened fire on police officers in Baton Rouge on Sunday, injuring at least seven -- including three who are feared dead, an official said.

Police received a call of "suspicious person walking down Airline Highway with an assault rifle," a source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN. When police arrived, the man opened fire. The remaining officers are hospitalized in critical condition, the source said.

The victims were from Baton Rouge Police Department as well as East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office, another official said.

Since the shooting death of Alton Sterling by Baton Rouge police earlier this month, the department has worried about credible threats against officers.
It's been an emotionally charged few days across the country because of the protests stemming from the Alton Sterling shooting, and the ambush on Dallas police officers where a sniper killed five officers.

"We can't take anything for granted any more," East Baton Rouge Sheriff Sid Gautreaux said last week.

Kip Holden, the mayor-president of East Baton Rouge Parish, said Sunday authorities were still trying to get a handle on the situation, but added, "The count is three officers dead possibly." "There is still an active scene. They are investigating," he said. "Right now we are trying to get our arms around everything."

Earlier, Holden had said the shooter is believed to be down as well. But a source told CNN it's an "active working scene." "Everything is moving fast and I have not been able to verify everything," Holden said.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Re: Active shooter, Baton Rouge, targeting police

Post by sheddi » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:22 am

Reports on WAFB (link below) that the incident started with "citizens shooting at one another" and then the police becoming a target when they turned up. Doesn't sound like a deliberate attack on the PD.

Not sure that makes it better ...

WAFB livestream (link edited):
http://livestream.com/WAFB/live

Edit to add:
One suspect dead, possibly two further suspects at large.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:33 am

sheddi wrote:Reports on WAFB (link below) that the incident started with "citizens shooting at one another" and then the police becoming a target when they turned up. Doesn't sound like a deliberate attack on the PD.

WAFB livestream:
http://livestream.com/accounts/11595706 ... mute=false
So, two or more recreational pharmaceutical distributors where in negotiations over protected sales areas and the cops show up to end the negotiation process. Sounds like collateral damage in a war over drugs.

What will happen when folks in B/R call in another 'active trade session' and the cops politely decline to take sides?

I know a lot of hose humpers/Paramedics that already refuse to enter a scene unless the cops are on site and have secured the A/O.

I hate to say it, but maybe some place should just be on their own.....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:04 pm

sheddi wrote:Reports on WAFB (link below) that the incident started with "citizens shooting at one another" and then the police becoming a target when they turned up. Doesn't sound like a deliberate attack on the PD.

WAFB livestream (link edited):
http://livestream.com/WAFB/live

Edit to add:
One suspect dead, possibly two further suspects at large.
Maybe it was set up to lure the police in and then ambush them?
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Baton Rouge and NOLA for that matter have a subculture of violence and street "justice". It is unfortunate but nevertheless true.

No one sees anything and no one will talk to the LEO's about shooting that occur in broad daylight.

The LEO's get zero support from thier administration and will be crucified and vilified for any mistakes no matter how trivial or severe.

Both cities are losing thier LEOs in droves and both cities cannot hire fast enough to stem the flow. The reason for the lack of recruitment of replacements is obvious.

So bear this in mind when reading the story.

There are 3 LEOs confirmed dead as of now.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:43 pm

Talking to the police and respecting rule of law is "Snitching". Snitching means telling the police that certain people are committing felonies or other serious crime.

In certain neighborhoods crime is the multi-generational life. This isn't NOLA or Baton Rouge, this is all over America.
The LEO's get zero support from thier administration and will be crucified and vilified for any mistakes no matter how trivial or severe.
That's everywhere. The crucifixions often start before the facts are even in and from higher up then the city or county.
Both cities are losing their LEOs in droves and both cities cannot hire fast enough to stem the flow. The reason for the lack of recruitment of replacements is obvious.
Maybe, maybe not obvious. You would be more aware of local stuff then me.

I know that NOLA started automatically hiring prior service honorably discharged veterans a couple of years ago. The ones that weren't local started running into problems right away with how the NOLA police do business in the city. I hear the new chief has been enforcing new standards making a lot of the older guys quit or retire.

My last visit down there a few weeks ago I saw many more State Police than I did local police. I believe that even if the department were at full strength it would still come up short given the high volume of tourist traffic the city sees.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:00 pm

Some info on the shooter:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/baton-rouge ... formation/
The deceased suspect in the deadly shooting of Baton Rouge law enforcement officers appeared to have attacked police on his 29th birthday, CBS News has learned.

The suspect has been identified as a black male named Gavin Eugene Long of Kansas City, Missouri, sources tell CBS News. He was born on July 17, 1987.

According to a military source, Long left the Marines in 2010 with an honorable discharge. His final Marine rank was E-5 (sergeant).
They are saying the active shooting is over.

Similar profile to Dallas shooter. If you want to roll it in to the other thread go ahead. It won't be the last one I am sure.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Stercutus wrote: It won't be the last one I am sure.
I wish I could argue that point, but I am not. The haters in NOLA and BR are throwing a celebration over this last shooting.

This is one of the officers murdered by the scum whose name I will not mention.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 12016.html

Montell Jackson only 32 years old.
A Baton Rouge policeman who was once injured trying to save a toddler from a burning building and recently welcomed a son of his own was one of the three officers killed in a Sunday morning shooting.

A cousin and family friend said Sunday that Montrell Jackson, 32, a 10-year-veteran of the Police
Not that it matters to me but it does seem to be missing in the news reports. Montell Jackson is african american just as was one of the officers involved in the Alton Sterling shooting.

BTW Montrell Jackson posted this on Facebook a few days ago.
Montrell Jackson had posted on Facebook on July 8 how physically and emotionally drained he had been since protests had erupted in Baton Rouge after the July 5 killing of Alton Sterling by police. He stressed his disappointment at "some family, friends, and officers for some reckless comments."
"But hey, what's in your heart is in your heart. I still love you all because hate takes too much energy, but I definitely won't be looking at you the same," the post read.
"I swear to God I love this city, but I wonder if this city loves me. In uniform I get nasty, hateful looks and out of uniform some consider me a threat. I've experienced so much in my short life and these last 3 days have tested me to the core. When people you know begin to question your integrity, you realize they don't really know you at all. ... These are trying times. Please don't let hate infect your heart."
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/17/us/baton- ... index.html
Last edited by raptor on Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:30 pm

The gunman who allegedly shot and killed three Baton Rouge police officers on Sunday was identified as Gavin Long, 29, a Kansas City resident who attacked the police on his 29th birthday before he was gunned down by officers, according to a federal law enforcement sources.

Police believe that Long, an African-American, may have been in a rental car that had been stolen five or six days ago in a Midwestern state, according to the sources, who are not authorized to speak publicly. Authorities recovered a rifle and a handgun that Long is believed to have used in the attack.

Long served in the U.S. Marines (at least one tour in Iraq) and received an honorable discharge in 2010, CBS News reports, quoting an unnamed military source.

Quoting law enforcement sources, CBS also reports that Long has used a pseuodonym to post at least one video on YouTube about oppression and police protests.

A second official described Long as a "black separatist."

A Youtube account operated by Gavin Eugene Long and discovered by The Daily Caller reveals key insight into what might have motivated the 29-year-old black man who killed three Baton Rouge police officers Sunday morning.

Videos on Long’s account show that he was a former Nation of Islam member. He also ranted against “crackers” and made references to Alton Sterling, the black man killed by police in Baton Rouge on July 5.

ETA

Long registered a website, convoswithcosmo.com, and created several social media sites under the name Cosmo Setepenra in April. He said in a tweet that he had been away living in Africa for two years and recently returned:

Was Away for 2 yrs living like a King in Afrika, Just Getting Back to Social Media # Starting Fresh!

— Convos With Cosmo (@ConvosWithCosmo) May 10, 2016

Long described himself on his Twitter account, @ConvosWithCosmo, as a “Freedom Strategist,” “Radio Host,” Mental Game Coach, “Alpha Preneur, “Autho, “World Explore,” Former Marine,” and says he has an “☥Ethiopian Bloodline☥.”

Long served in the Marine Corps, CBS News reports. He left the Marines in 2010 with an honorable discharge as a sergeant at the E-5 level.

He wrote about his time in the Marines on his website, saying, he reached the rank of sergeant “in less than three years as one of the Corps most physically fit and disciplined Marines. During his five years as a Marine, Cosmo spent two years in Japan and did one tour in Iraq. While stationed in San Diego, California, Cosmo became a highly esteemed and sought after nutritionist and personal trainer.”

The 25-year-old gunman who killed five police officers in Dallas earlier this month, Micah Xavier Johnson, had also served in the military.

The Los Angeles Times, citing a federal law enforcement official, says Long was a “black separatist,” but did not provide any other details. Johnson had shown an interest on social media in black separatist groups, according to police.

Public records show Long has lived in Kansas City and Grandview, Missouri. He has also lived in San Diego, California, and Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No ties to Louisiana have been found.

A reporter from Kansas City says she went to the address where Long lived and was met by someone armed with a gun (AK-47 oh, horror). (Dumbass reporter alert)

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:43 pm

An interesting development at least to me police in the GNO area and BR will now patrol with 2 officers per vehicle. This obviously to ensure adequate backup for the patrol. This is rarely done here and will no doubt reduce efficiency since while the same number of LEOs are out there, fewer cars and hence a lesser passbys by LEOs.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... river_home

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:02 pm

raptor wrote:An interesting development at least to me police in the GNO area and BR will now patrol with 2 officers per vehicle. This obviously to ensure adequate backup for the patrol. This is rarely done here and will no doubt reduce efficiency since while the same number of LEOs are out there, fewer cars and hence a lesser passbys by LEOs.

Interesting to me is the fact of how less coverage this incident has generated in the media. It's like this is already the new norm. :cry:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:32 pm

This is America. If an event doesn't directly affect the majority of people, it's forgotten shortly after it happened. After all, wouldn't you rather play Pokémon Go instead of spending your time worrying about stupid stuff like domestic terrorism, coups in faraway lands, and a potentially rising Chinese hegemony in the Pacific? C'mon, gotta catch 'em all!
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:39 pm

flybynight wrote:
raptor wrote:An interesting development at least to me police in the GNO area and BR will now patrol with 2 officers per vehicle. This obviously to ensure adequate backup for the patrol. This is rarely done here and will no doubt reduce efficiency since while the same number of LEOs are out there, fewer cars and hence a lesser passbys by LEOs.

Interesting to me is the fact of how less coverage this incident has generated in the media. It's like this is already the new norm. :cry:
My opinion is that the story does fit with the message that many news sources want to tell. If it did we would have 24/7 coverage like other recent stories that fit the message.

I cannot say more without going into politics.
Last edited by raptor on Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:49 pm

raptor wrote:
flybynight wrote:

My opinion is that the story does fit with the message that many news sources want to tell.if it did we would have 24/7 coverage like other recent stories that fit the message.

I cannot say more without going into politics.
Yea that wasn't political at all
:mrgreen:

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:28 pm

Yea that wasn't political at all
:mrgreen:
Sorry it was not meant to be political. I was addressing the mainstream news reports on the subject.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:59 am

With the three hour response times for rapes and burglaries in progress that are not unusual in NOLA it could now be days (or never) for police presence on routine calls in bad neighborhoods. If response times are that bad then there is zero community policing going on. Without community policing the police simply go from one train wreck to the next taking reports.

So I am thinking this won't change much for the better:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 76da7.html

ETA-
Looks like Milwaukee police are going to two man patrols as well based upon the unprompted attack on a responding officer there. Police have not released identity of the shooter but the family has made a statement saying that it was not race or anti-police motivated.

Not sure how that works....
You go over and under
I go through

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:07 am

While some of the smaller municiple agencies run one man cars, here in SoCal, most police cars will have two cops in them. The departments who run one man cars, always have to send two cars to each call, so it never really made sense to me. I guess having "more cars" visible in the field makes people feel good, even though if they call 911, the first car will park down the block and wait for the second to get close before actually rolling in, so it doesn't really speed up response times or anything. *shrug*
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:16 am

flybynight wrote:Interesting to me is the fact of how less coverage this incident has generated in the media. It's like this is already the new norm. :cry:
:?: I've seen and heard heavy coverage since yesterday. And of course, it's the main on almost every page everywhere today.

Examples:
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 4202_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 9396_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 3922_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 7311_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 9167_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 8515_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=57F344BB
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 3244_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 4406_o.jpg

The shooter was apparently a Marine and a follower of a branch of the Sovereign Citizen movement.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... f5076037ff
Mostly not here anymore.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:41 am

We split from Las Vegas when it was two cops in a car and two cars minimum for calls in "the hood" That was in 1991. It isn't any better today. You won't see (or rarely see) any news reports because it would be bad for tourism.....

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nv/las-vegas/crime/

http://www.ktnv.com/news/contact-13/hom ... -las-vegas

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:50 am

dogbane wrote:
flybynight wrote:Interesting to me is the fact of how less coverage this incident has generated in the media. It's like this is already the new norm. :cry:
:?: I've seen and heard heavy coverage since yesterday. And of course, it's the main on almost every page everywhere today.

Examples:
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 4202_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 9396_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 3922_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 7311_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 9167_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 8515_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=57F344BB
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 3244_o.jpg
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 4406_o.jpg

The shooter was apparently a Marine and a follower of a branch of the Sovereign Citizen movement.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... f5076037ff
When I posted that message, I had to search for a news channel that was still
covering it live . (CNN) The other channels had already switched to convention coverage with taped reports of the attack on the breaks.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:29 pm

TacAir wrote: You won't see (or rarely see) any news reports because it would be bad for tourism.....

In an earlier post Stercutus mentioned seeing mainly State Troopers in the tourist areas where he went. This is because the state understands that NOLA is the tourist engine that drives tourism to the whole state. Thus when the state offered troopers and NG MPs it was on the condition that they be used to beef up the tourist areas...for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Pre-Katrina the rule, even with thugs was do not hurt the tourists. Nothing elicited police response like a tourist getting robbed, beaten or otherwise hurt. It still happened now and again, but there was hell to pay as a result.

Now even that dismal ethos is gone.
Last edited by raptor on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:20 pm

The convention is the big news right now. Short of an attack on the convention itself (not at all out of the question) the rest of the news will be given a back pew. The politics should have enough drama to sell tons of soap.
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Stercutus wrote:The convention is the big news right now. Short of an attack on the convention itself (not at all out of the question) the rest of the news will be given a back pew. The politics should have enough drama to sell tons of soap.
I just figured the killing of three cops and shooting of three more by a terrorist was more important news wise than a political convention, that had not started yet. But I guess in a modern demented way the coverage of the two parties is the bigger crime story

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:44 pm

flybynight wrote: But I guess in a modern demented way the coverage of the two parties is the bigger crime story
I really do not watch TV if I can avoid it.
I would rather watch tennis, golf or a sail boat race than watch any convention .... I would likewise note that if given a choice between visiting the proctologist or watching tennis, golf or a sail boat race I would chose the proctologist (after I asked and double checked that there was no choice E available :wink:).

Getting back on the subject.

All of the local LEOs in the GNO area and the GBR area are to patrol pairs.

Thsi article discusses the firearms he used.
Surveillance images show name redacted walking with a IWI Tavor SAR 5.56-millimeter rifle, Edmonson said. He also had a Springfield XD 9-millimeter pistol.

Another rifle, a Stag Arms M4 variant 5.56-millimeter, was waiting in his car, Edmonson said.
It also mentions how he was killed after he shot the officer who vacuuming out his patrol car at the car wash.
A Baton Rouge Police SWAT officer shot and killed name redacted in that area soon after, from a distance of 100 yards away, Edmonson said.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”