Vivid example of altered mental state and immunity to pain

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Close_enough

Vivid example of altered mental state and immunity to pain

Post by Close_enough » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:48 pm

Mods: Feel free to move this thread if this is the wrong section to post in.

The short short summary:
Neighbors notice future attacker acting odd (paranoid?) and call cops
Cops determine future attacker not acting odd enough to be detained
Attacker breaks into intended victims (husband and wife) house
Intended victims' retreat out of the back of the house taking a .22 rifle, which jams while loading
Attacker tackles Wife and Husband takes a machete to his legs without affect.
Police arrive and Taser attacker six times before he can be captured.
Attacker dies enroute to hospital (exsanguination?)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/whe ... ar-BBu4uiI

Despite being turned into round steak and lit up like Frankenstein's monster, he was still able to keep fighting. It's a vivid reminder what somebody who is completely out of their mind, probably with the help of illegal drugs, can do. From additional articles, it appears that the attacker was a career criminal, and the victims were just wrong place at wrong time.

Aikibiker

Re: Vivid example of altered mental state and immunity to pa

Post by Aikibiker » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 am

Also shows that bladed weapons, even large bladed weapons, are poor stoppers, especially with poor technique. Also your defensive weapons should be extensively tested and kept fully loaded.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:53 am

Slicing weapons are relatively ineffective at stopping an attacker barring two key types of injuries: blood loss and traumatic damage.

1. Traumatic damage. If you can hack, chop, or slice to the point where you hew muscle and break bones, you can put someone down through sheer mechanical injuries. Lopping off or shattering legs, arms, back, skull, or neck will make it harder for someone to come after you, but in general don't count on it stopping them outright. This is why the bodies of professional soldiers from earlier (sword and axe) eras tended to show multiple healed traumatic wounds, even in times when infection killed more than outright injuries did.

2. Blood loss. Make a big enough hole and eventually the person will bleed out. But this takes time. Sometimes a staggering amount. And in that time, whatever enraged/drugged/zombie mofo that's bleeding is still probably going to try to keep coming after you. Adrenalin on its own can keep a person standing and fighting long after they should be dead. Combined with various drugs and it gets even more potent.

This is why, if you're ever placed in a life or death situation and you can grab a machete or a baseball bat, go for the bat. Blunt force trauma to the head can short circuit the nervous system. Knocking someone out is never like it is on TV and in the movies - it can take a ferocious pounding before someone goes down, plus lasting and severe neurological damage can result from even a brief bout of forced unconsciousness. However, it's generally easier to bust a noggin or a neck than it is to deal with a large, sharp object swinging around - especially if you're not a lifelong practicing Legionnaire. Rule #1 about a knife fight is to never get in a knife fight, because chances are that the knife is going to go *somewhere*. And if you're fighting with someone who's operating in extremis due to drugs, psychotic episodes, or whatever, that 'somewhere' is likely to be you.

I'd also like to point out in the article, it mentions both 'stun gun' and 'taser'. A taser is not a stun gun. And a stun gun is not a taser. Also, I don't figure a .22 rifle would be an effective home defense weapon. Or a machete. I'd buy a shotgun and a hatchet. Something heavy enough to crack vertebrae.

Anyway. That's my rambling 6am dos centavos. YMMV.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:30 am

Going out on a limb here, but this is most definitely not DICE.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:12 pm

Maeklos wrote:Slicing weapons are relatively ineffective at stopping an attacker barring two key types of injuries: blood loss and traumatic damage.
I'd like to add hypoxia to the brain. IIRC, Fairbairn was partial to sticking a knife through the Subclavian or Carotid arteries cutting off blood flow to the brain. The thing being, it's universally, and rapidly, fatal. So, the legal repercussions could be very bad. There was a case several years ago where a Silat(?) practitioner sliced the Brachial artery in a bouncer that was trying to expel his friends. He ended up getting found guilty of either first degree murder or manslaughter on the basis that he knew that cutting the inside of the elbow was fatal.
Maeklos wrote: This is why, if you're ever placed in a life or death situation and you can grab a machete or a baseball bat, go for the bat.
I'm inclined to agree. IME, and I do mean personal experience, there's a couple seconds between getting cut, and reacting to it. But, there's an instantaneous reaction to a broken long bone. There's nothing quite like it short of a head butt to the solar plexus. Broken smaller bones don't have anywhere near the effect.

But, if somebody is stoned as this guy was, a busted arm, leg, or ribs may not stop him. You may have to go Negan on his noggin to get him to stop.
Maeklos wrote:I'd also like to point out in the article, it mentions both 'stun gun' and 'taser'. A taser is not a stun gun. And a stun gun is not a Taser.
Additional articles clarified that it was a Taser.

majorhavoc wrote:Going out on a limb here, but this is most definitely not DICE.
That's why I put the disclaimer in at the top of my post.
"Mods: Feel free to move this thread if this is the wrong section to post in."

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:33 pm

I have started carrying a flat sap occaisionally. Massive head trauma tends to be instantly incapcitating. The sap also gives plenty of less lethal options as well.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”