Monster Snowstorm Converging on East Coast?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Monster Snowstorm Converging on East Coast?

Post by raptor » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:47 pm

NOLA is not in the storms path but we got gale force north winds last night likely from the back end of the storm. That and cold (for us) temperatures.

The temps and windchill is nothing like you guys are expecting but it was quite unpleasant for us.

Stay safe and warm.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Snow resumed around lunch down here in the Tidewater, bit only maybe 2"of accumulation.

The biggest hazards for me are that my wife hates the cold and hates feeling trapped in the house.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:06 pm

raptor wrote:NOLA is not in the storms path but we got gale force north winds last night likely from the back end of the storm. That and cold (for us) temperatures.

The temps and windchill is nothing like you guys are expecting but it was quite unpleasant for us.

Stay safe and warm.
Yeah, people are having to bundle-up for the Mardi Gras parades here. Probably restricting their movement some when scrambling for throws.....but I guess you'd have more cushion/protection when they start throwing elbows. And if any females do flash for throws, those nips will be hard enough to cut glass.Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:49 pm

Well, I'll give a report.

I'm about 25 miles SSE of Pittsburgh. We had 14" here, though a friend about 10 miles away reported more than 2 feet. I'm in the foothills of the Laurel Highlands. Further up in the highlands was where all those folks got stuck on the PA turnpike, up by Somerset.

Even with a snowblower, it took me about 5 hours to dig out today.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:28 pm

We have two feet, I'll bet. Much more with the drifts. No biggie as long as you aren't scheduled to be anywhere and your power isn't out. I shoveled most of the day but am enjoying the howling wind and a good lamp while reading "In the Penal Colony," by Franz Kafka (1919). You can find it free online in .pdf format.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens when Monday's alarm clock goes off for many. Additionally, that's a lot of water waiting to run off. There will be some basements flooding, and re-freezing can extend the treacherous driving conditions.

FWIW, I spent most of the day in freezing temperatures and at least a 3/4 value wind. Lightweight wool sock inside of Danner Arcadias purchased in Oct 1994. Comfy. 1 vehicle went by all day. No plowing where I live yet though.

Monster? I kind of like it but I have nowhere else to be. I feel for those that must work in it this weekend.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:01 pm

Coastal New Jersey is now under quite a bit of water. Snow on the roofs - water through the streets.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Anianna wrote:Coastal New Jersey is now under quite a bit of water. Snow on the roofs - water through the streets.
Roof overloading, especially if the roof-borne snow pack is followed by rain, can be a real hazard. The snow soaks up the rain like a sponge and suddenly you have tons of pressure on roof structures that were never designed to handle that load.

Folks should keep that in mind not only for their own homes, but when going inside public structures. At least eyeball the roofs and assess whether or not they've been cleared.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:43 am

A bit more about the I-75 closure:
WKYT wrote: Multiple crashes leaves thousands stuck on Interstate 75 in Rockcastle County

After a series of crashes caused police to close Interstate 75 in Rockcastle County Friday afternoon, police have now reopened the interstate.

No injuries have been confirmed, but the crashes left thousands of motorists stuck, including one of WKYT's reporting teams.

The Northbound lanes of I-75 opened around 5:43 p.m. Friday, and southbound lanes briefly reopened. But police had to shut both sides down again because of more crashes.

As of 10 p.m., police still had no timeline for when the interstate would reopen.

Police spent much of the overnight hours diverting southbound traffic off I-75 at exit 76 in Berea, and northbound traffic off I-75 at exit 41 in London. Police spent a lot of time trying to remove several stranded tractor trailers.

As of 6 a.m. Saturday, Kentucky State Police tell us the National Guard and the Laurel County Fire Department were slowly continuing to remove trapped vehicles from I-75. We're told guardsmen were also using a wrecker to help with the removal.

Shelters have been set up for travelers at West London Baptist Church on Parker Road in London, and Rockcastle Middle School in Mount Vernon. The Red Cross is also working to set up a shelter in Madison County as well.

State Police say the winter storm that began Friday left up to 3,000 people stranded on I-75.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:16 am

https://www.facebook.com/Stonekettle/po ... 43?fref=nf
I used to work in D.C.
I lived a few miles outside the city, near La Plata, Maryland. One morning I got up to find a single flake of snow had fallen during the night and my yard was glazed with a faint dusting of frost. Having recently moved to Maryland from Alaska, I honestly barely noticed. I put on my short sleeved uniform and got in my jeep and headed towards the Office of Naval Intelligence in Suitland with the windows down enjoying the cool fall weather ...
... and somewhere between Waldorf and Clinton I suddenly realized I was driving through a post apocalyptic wasteland.
Tiny snowflakes fell like radioactive jewels. The streets were deserted. Electric lights were few. Cars were abandoned alongside the road. As I crossed the Beltway, I could see hungry zombies roaming the empty streets below.
I was followed briefly by a State Trooper, but when he saw my Alaska plates he waved me on with a brave thumbs up. Godspeed, Northman!
Andrews AFB was dark, the great warbirds frozen in rigor mortis on the ramps beneath a load of snow at least an 1/8th of an inch thick.
In Hillcrest, panicked citizens ran across the street from the lone open convenience store, clutching bags filled with emergency supplies of bottled water and toilet paper, Cheetos and Slim Jims. They watched with wide terrified eyes as I drove past, save us, shortsleeved man from Alaska, save us! Find a senator, I advised them, slice him open and wait out the maelstrom inside his warm innards. And if you have to, you can always light them on fire, the alcohol content alone will keep you warm for days.
And I drove on.
I arrived at the Maritime Naval Intelligence Center to find it cold and dark. The main personnel entrance was locked, barricaded against the end of the wolrd. I let myself in through the rear service entrance to find a lone Federal Policeman, eyes darkened by stress and lack of sleep, uniform rumpled and sweat stained, wrapped in a parka and hunkered down behind the fortified bulwark of his desk.
He goggled at me in amazement.
"My God," he croaked, "How did you make it in through that?"
"The horror, the horror," I answered as I slid my security card through the reader and entered the checkpoint turnstile. "There was only one radio station on the air and they were playing Disco."
"It truly is the apocalypse," he stared out at the storm with haunted eyes.
I left him there, I did. I left him to his fate and I never saw him again. Perhaps he was eaten by zombies, I'll never know, just another unnamed hero of the Great Snowpocalypse of 2000.
I went up to my office, alone in all of Washington D.C.
And it was AWESOME. No meetings. No phones. No email. No senior officers. Shit, I got more done that day than in all the rest of my tour at Headquarters.
Best. Day. Ever.
Enjoy your blizzard, East Coasters. And keep a weather eye out for the Disco Zombies.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:48 am

Some good morning-after pictures. Hope hospital maternity wards are bracing for the wave of storm babies they'll being seeing in about nine months.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-2 ... -aftermath

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... 6/54927448

http://www.businessinsider.com/at-least ... -dc-2016-1

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:15 am

Great laugh at the FB post shared.

It never got that bad; never lost power. But then I can always tow my house inside of the barn. LOL. Perhaps someone should buy all of the bread and then offer it from the back of a truck the day after a storm lifts. In Northern VA., it could probably bring some fairly high prices since people depend upon bread to live when it snows here. Not so much down here where I live but I am still laughing about the news reports showing the bread aisles empty in stores. I wonder how many people searched online for prepping info as the storm hit.

The day after a storm lifts is a good time to practice some tracking skills especially if you have young ones. I have a particular stump that I cover and surround with bird seed and deer corn before a storm hits. Then after it lifts I watch all the wildlife gather there. As the word spreads, Blue Jays tend to dominate. Alone, I practiced my own sign cutting skills in ever increasing concentric circles looking for not only the regulars that tend to visit, but also an outlier or two that might have become curious. They are smart but I have heard them howl during the night so I know they are around. I also pay specific attention for bird of prey strikes. Owls in particular think of days when everything must move slowly on top of the snow much the same as a young person views walking into Disney World but with a more Jurassic Park nuance.

A pan of fried squirrel and biscuits and I am ready to go back out.
Henry David Thoreau

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:00 pm

The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:36 pm

The news was the worst thing about this storm. I never get to watch the Today show since we homeschool and I was quite pleased to snuggle up on the couch Friday morning to indulge myself, only to find the local news affiliate on. Six hours before a single flake drifted from the sky, they were on the air pre-empting everything to provide nonstop updates of the storm that wasn't even a thing for us yet. It was absurd and they ruined my lovely snow day with their needless drivel.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:26 pm

On a good note Ani is the fact that all this talk encouraged employers to keep their employees home and off the road. The idea of making people drive so many cars so many miles to log into a network most of them have at home is so Twentieth Century.
Henry David Thoreau

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:53 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:On a good note Ani is the fact that all this talk encouraged employers to keep their employees home and off the road. The idea of making people drive so many cars so many miles to log into a network most of them have at home is so Twentieth Century.
No kidding! I'm a huge advocate for employing people based on deadlines rather than time in an office and, if they don't need a central office to get the job done, employers could save a lot of money letting people work from wherever they get the job done. Our current methods are archaic.

Employers in PA apparently didn't get the message, considering the thousands of people stranded on the turnpike there.

∩(=^_^=)

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:12 am

Looks like there were a lot of visitors before I added corn earlier on Sunday.
Henry David Thoreau

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:19 pm

They obviously know where to look for corn.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:10 pm

It's true. I consider myself a greenish, nature loving, conservationist and naturalist so I attempt to eat mostly meat that I take locally. We treat the yard and closer fields as no-fire areas though. We try to keep one of the cameras on that stump year round.
Henry David Thoreau

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Oh, and I have never seen that cat before. That is the only picture she is in thus far.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”