Monster Snowstorm Converging on East Coast?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Monster Snowstorm Converging on East Coast?

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:15 pm

Okay, okay, the last several much-hyped "snowstorms of Biblical proportions" or however they were described turned out to be no big deal, but once again the weather people are hyperventilating, so I'll just throw this out there…a big storm is bearing down on the mid-Atlantic region. Remain calm and shovel on….

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... snowstorm/

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... rynum=3227

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2 ... /79048448/

Anianna

Re: Monster Snowstorm Converging on East Coast?

Post by Anianna » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm ready. Bring it on.

I called and asked my folks if they were ready in case the power goes out in the cold. Dad said, "sure, we have blankets". Mom said, "if the power goes out, I'll head out to the Hilton; I won't stay in this house without power". :gonk:

I told them to get an indoor-rated propane heater. They think I'm weird for prepping, so not sure they'll listen to me. :(
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:59 pm

60% chance of 1-2 feet
40% chance of 2-3 feet
10% chance of 3+ feet
100% chance of overwrought media hysteria and breathless hyperbole.

Even if the storm doesn't live up to the hype, I'm expecting at least one new ridiculous storm or weather related moniker. I think Snowmaggedon and Polar Vortex have exceeded their shelf life, so I've placed substantial bets on Icepocalypse and Vengeful Arctic Demon of Doom.

A bit of wintry advice from a seasoned Northern New Englander to any of our mid-Atlantic members/lurkers: dealing with these big storms is actually pretty easy if you follow one simple rule: if you possibly can, stay the f*ck off the roads. No matter what kind of vehicle you have or how awesome a driver you think you are. The milk and Pop Tarts will be back on the store shelves by Monday, Tuesday tops. If you just stay inside and bundle up, it's actually pretty hard to get yourself killed.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:07 pm

This weekend could be interesting, that's for sure. Hitting the store after work just in case I'm out of something.

Stay safe out there.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:19 pm

If it means anything. It's snowing like a sumbich in Kansas. 1-3 feet? Not hardly. But that would be cool. I could spend the day playing on the tractor and making pvc snowshoes in the shop.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:15 am

All that crap went North of us. There were threats of ice but none ever showed.

Enjoy, glad we moved away from the red spot.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:17 am

Latest update. I always hope these monster storms, even if they come in tamer than advertised, are a teaching point for at least some people on the need for preparedness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... gh-sunday/

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:47 am

Bah, not a disaster. Ice storm? Yea, that would be MUCH worse

Just make sure you periodically shovel. Easier to shovel 4" of snow 6 times, than 24" all at once (unless you have a snow blower).

And to echo others, stay off the roads. You're 4x4 may let you get moving easier, but everyone stops (or doesn't) with 4 brakes.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:15 pm

NamelessStain wrote:Bah, not a disaster. Ice storm? Yea, that would be MUCH worse.
Yeah, I'd rather work a half-dozen hurricanes before another ice storm. Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:38 pm

As always, knuckleheads panic and clean out grocery stores - I mean, who ever plans for a winter storm in January?

http://www.infowars.com/snowmaggedon201 ... ry-stores/

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:26 pm

How can there be a "snowstorm of biblical proportions" when there were no snowstorms in the Bible? :mrgreen:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Langenator wrote:How can there be a "snowstorm of biblical proportions" when there were no snowstorms in the Bible? :mrgreen:
Psalm 148:8
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:15 pm

To be fair, about an inch of snow fell in DC, I'm working in Florida, it took my wife 4 hours to travel the 9 miles from Crystal City VA to Annandale.

Virginia must have been caught flat footed because my wife did not see a single vehicle plowing or salting on I-395. Her travel was complicated by some severe accident on the highway as well. She is scared of driving in snow and said that the car slid several times on the way home. Schools were closed in Fairfax County today and tomorrow.

We have lots of food in the house, but I called to advise her on what to do if the power goes out.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:36 pm

NamelessStain wrote:Bah, not a disaster. Ice storm? Yea, that would be MUCH worse

Just make sure you periodically shovel. Easier to shovel 4" of snow 6 times, than 24" all at once (unless you have a snow blower).

And to echo others, stay off the roads. You're 4x4 may let you get moving easier, but everyone stops (or doesn't) with 4 brakes.
Best saying I ever heard about 4 wheel drive was it allows you to get hundred yards farther, before you're stuck,

Hate ice stormß
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:40 pm

How can there be a "snowstorm of biblical proportions" when there were no snowstorms in the Bible? :mrgreen:
Smartass….

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:52 pm

flybynight wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:Bah, not a disaster. Ice storm? Yea, that would be MUCH worse

Best saying I ever heard about 4 wheel drive was it allows you to get hundred yards farther, before you're stuck,

Hate ice stormß
Hunh, snow chains/ cables or studded tires where legal. That and using my brain and I have never gotten stuck in snow or ice nor wrecked. The deepest with a civilian vehicle was about 32 inches. Toyota FJ and snow cables. Low transfer with a locker and we were sledding up hill hauling a trailer full of stuff.

It is too bad Toyota quit making that vehicle it is the finest off road vehicle I have ever owned, in
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:16 pm

Most people in the affected area don't have such paraphernalia seeing as how we don't get snow that often and, when we do, it's usually not so much that you would need that sort of thing more than a day or two. NamelessStain and flybynight are referring to people who face snow infrequently and think their 4x4 is somehow automatically equipped for it.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:00 pm

Charlotte, NC is salting everything. Local weatherman with good track record and cautious tendencies is predicting a hard hit for the metro area, with extremely damaging ice that could result in multi-day power outages, downed lines, trees, etc. The best prep I have is a fireplace and lots of wood. I'm most worried about tree-fall damage to my house. Crossing my fingers we dodge the bullet. The bullet is coming, but I am selfishly wishing it upon someone else.

Ice forecast:
Charlotte ice potential is very dangerous. Only takes .20-.25" to cause damage. Right now it could be closer to .50".
map: https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5734B827
I'm in that .42" area.
Mostly not here anymore.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Here in Nashville the forecast is rain tonight, then freezing rain early morning, then 3-5 inches of snow combined with 40 mph wind gusts. I am not going to work tomorrow for sure. I know it wouldn't be such a big deal in the north of the country but here that is almost as bad as it can be. I mean the only way it could be worse is if David Bowie died and Santa Claus was a lie.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Delsaw

Post by Delsaw » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Ice covered with a little snow is no joke. If it was only snow that would be one thing. Throw in freezing rain and game over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:17 pm

We're expecting a snow-ice-snow sammich here. I think the ice is supposed to be worse down Dogbane's way than what we are expecting. Best wishes for all involved!

And, remember, if you ever get desperate and need water, don't eat snow - melt it and drink it, instead. Eating snow can dangerously lower your body temperature.

∩(=^_^=)

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:19 pm

H-hour approaching. Stay safe, everyone.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:00 am

A Kentucky news site has a weather map that updates radar data every minute or so, so you can watch the radar and satellite footage of the storm coming in. Here's the link:

http://www.wkyt.com/weather

Scroll down until you see a Bing Maps applet loading. It will be centered on Kentucky, but you can see the weather conditions in most of North America and western Europe by zooming out.

Stay safe, folks.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:12 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:Virginia must have been caught flat footed because my wife did not see a single vehicle plowing or salting on I-395. .
Not all of VA...Newport News had the bridges and major roads salted when I drove home yesterday. And we're only supposed to get 1-3", turning to rain by midnight and then all day Saturday.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”