Baltimore Riots

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Baltimore Riots

Post by Boondock » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:38 pm

After today's developments, I figured it's time to start a thread about the unrest in Baltimore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/28/us/a- ... .html?_r=0

Situation is rapidly getting out of control on both sides. Stay safe Maryland ZS and anyone traveling in the area.

McSquishin
Favorite Zombie Movies: Three way tie between 28 Days/Weeks Later, and Zombieland.

Re: Baltimore Riots

Post by McSquishin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:45 pm

I haven't been able to find many clear reports, so does anyone know what parts of Baltimore are affected and what areas local ZS members should be avoiding? To anyone living in the region stay safe.
Ne Desit Virtus

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:56 pm

McSquishin wrote:... what parts of Baltimore are affected ...
Sounds like the Mondawmin neighborhood, Camden Yard and parts of downtown.

McSquishin
Favorite Zombie Movies: Three way tie between 28 Days/Weeks Later, and Zombieland.

Post by McSquishin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Boondock wrote: Sounds like the Mondawmin neighborhood, Camden Yard and parts of downtown.
Mondawmin I had heard was heavily involved, but I didn't know how large of an area it was. Thanks for putting that info out there.
Ne Desit Virtus

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:54 pm

The governor just declared a state of emergency over the Baltimore riots.

McSquishin

Post by McSquishin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:58 pm

National Guard is being mobilized too. They went from being on "alert" to being en route pretty damned quick.
Ne Desit Virtus

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Just got off the phone to a friend of mine in Baltimore. She's away from the affected area, but said the guy in the apartment across the hall has a Bearcat scanner and things are getting more chaotic and dangerous for first responders.

Daily Mail has some good pics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... neral.html
Last edited by absinthe beginner on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:11 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/27/us/baltim ... index.html

Wow.

From this report, it appears that several gangs have entered into agreement to take out officers. If any ZS'erS are there I think this would be a good time to test your BOB.

Stay safe.
WWSD?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:15 pm

I have not been paying attention to this for a variety of reasons. I am both surprised and shocked by the depth of this violence.

Thank you for posting it.

McSquishin

Post by McSquishin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:55 pm

BCPD's Twitter account is doing a good job of pushing out locations of structure fires in real time. Seems like a good resource for anyone living in the area to know if a fire is close by and if anyone needs to evacuate.
Ne Desit Virtus

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:37 am

Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:10 am

Starting to look very dystopian in Baltimore.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... oting.html

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:21 am

Yep its getting crappy quick down there. I just got off the phone with my Mother-In-Law who is making preps to take in her brother for a few days. My Wife's uncle doesn't live far from Baltimore's Inner Harbor and downtown, in a neighborhood called Federal Hill. I only been to his house once, and I only can describe it in relation to Philadelphia...its basically like Old City. Its a mix of historic old townhouse and modern condos within a very short walking distance from the inner harbor/national aquarium tourist area and the downtown business areas. The neighborhood is filled with mostly yuppies, professionals, and young families. I could never wrap my head around Baltimore and how things are laid out there but it seems like most other older East Coast cities the bad neighborhoods are real close to the good/well off neighborhoods.

Needless to say if he is willing to go from a very short commute from his home to work, to sleeping in his sister's guest room and driving an hour from Southeastern PA to Baltimore...things have got to be bad.

I hope to get the scoop when he gets here. Meanwhile I would cancel any plans to visit Baltimore until things cool down. Also to those ZS member in the affected area..Stay Frosty and Safe my friends.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:58 am

Thank you for that!!
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Delsaw

Post by Delsaw » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks for the info. That Google map is really helpful.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:09 am

From a friend who works a few blocks from the epicenter:
I am home from work today - did not see the point of heading back into B-more especially since the office is a few blocks from the burned out CVS and the police and burnt cars are blocking two routes I normally take to the office . Apparently I passed the flash point on north ave about 5 to 10 minutes before the shit hit he fan. it was still an uneasy ride, cruisers heading to the mail, a chopper over head and some kid on the corner wearing a mask and looking very confrontational.....apparently someone was pulled out of a car at that corner shortly after I passed through, the news kept showing the car in flames all night last night.

during the drive i had the feeling of something "crazy" and thought how disturbing the chopper sounded/felt but fortunately I was ahead everything by a few minutes (very lucky considering I stayed about a half hour late yesterday for no reason, the weird part will be going back through and seeing the aftermath, I have been driving through that hood for three years now, seen crazy shit every week - and have actually anticipated some kind of unrest happening. in three years I have been all over b-more for work, driven through about every shitty area. B-more is a blighted dump, which has made me thank god is wasn't born poor in the city . I hope north ave is open by tomorrow, because my other option is to go buy the looted mall.

the national guard are lining the rich harbor area

my impression from the footage was that many of the looters were high school or younger kids. the bloods and crips are getting on the news for trying to stop the damage to their hoods

I see a new order, tribal leaders (clergy) and dog soldiers (gang bangers) vying with the police and elected officials for control of the city
Mostly not here anymore.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Tagged for info. Any ZS'ers in the area, keep your heads on a swivel and stay safe!
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:33 pm

dogbane wrote:From a friend who works a few blocks from the epicenter:
I am home from work today - did not see the point of heading back into B-more especially since the office is a few blocks from the burned out CVS and the police and burnt cars are blocking two routes I normally take to the office . Apparently I passed the flash point on north ave about 5 to 10 minutes before the shit hit he fan. it was still an uneasy ride, cruisers heading to the mail, a chopper over head and some kid on the corner wearing a mask and looking very confrontational.....apparently someone was pulled out of a car at that corner shortly after I passed through, the news kept showing the car in flames all night last night.
Wow. All I can is true words (underlined above) were never written. That and the best place to be during a riot is someplace else.

Las Vegan

Post by Las Vegan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:09 pm

What happens when a hard core gang banging street thug gets caught by his mom for rioting:

AR-15, Glock, and Soylent.

ImNtUrBuddyGuy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombi 2 (Classic Shark vs. Zombie Scene), Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by ImNtUrBuddyGuy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:23 pm

Las Vegan wrote:What happens when a hard core gang banging street thug gets caught by his mom for rioting:
I don't know if I would call him a hard core gang-banger, many of these rioters are dumb kids who are just doing it because "the cool kids" are rioting.

Las Vegan

Post by Las Vegan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:01 pm

ImNtUrBuddyGuy wrote:
Las Vegan wrote:What happens when a hard core gang banging street thug gets caught by his mom for rioting:
I don't know if I would call him a hard core gang-banger, many of these rioters are dumb kids who are just doing it because "the cool kids" are rioting.
Oh, ok. Thanks for pointing that out. :mrgreen:
AR-15, Glock, and Soylent.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:35 pm

Tagged for information. Here's to hoping this won't spread to other cities.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:48 pm

If that happened more often then there likely would many, many fewer problems in this world. All I can say is "you go mama!"

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:57 pm

NYT reports civilians forming human barrier between cops and agitators.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/29/us ... ?referrer=

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”