Another Police Shooting in St. Louis Triggers New Protests

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Another Police Shooting in St. Louis Triggers New Protes

Post by RickOShea » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:12 am

Aikibiker wrote:http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/17925/web

Missouri State Highway Patrol - Troop C Live Audio Feed

It is a lot worse then the news is reporting. Lots of looting, fires, and shots fired.
Yeah, hearing the dispatchers sending out a lot of "retreat" commands in the last few minutes.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:35 am

Sounds like things are mostly slowing down. This night has been unnecessarily exciting. Lots of looting, a bunch of random shooting, quite a few (8 or more) businesses burned down in the Ferguson area. Lots of gas was used in areas that were more "protest" than "riot," but even those areas weren't exactly what I would call peaceful.

It would be real nice to hear from all our St. Louis locals today.

Edit: plenty of burned/stolen/carjacked vehicles too.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:07 pm

It was pretty rough last night.

Over a dozen burned businesses in Ferguson proper, and across town, a bunch of broken windows on South Grand.

I drove through Ferguson this morning on the way to work and took some pictures of the carnage, but couldn't get to the worst of it as there are still some road closures.

Lots of people working to clean up this morning.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Delsaw

Post by Delsaw » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:44 pm

To everyone in the area, thanks for the updates and stay safe.

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Yeah, watch your ass Crypto and everyone else. Shit is getting real.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 pm

I'd love to share some pictures and details but unfortunately, Anonymous has kinda put a price tag on that sort of thing. We've been doing a lot of good deeds and it's unfortunate that it cannot be shared on the internet.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:33 pm

I'm not following what you're saying, and haven't heard anything about what you're talking about. Can you throw in some details about why you feel you can't share quality info?

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Quick reminder: Anonymous has been threatening and extorting area law enforcement, taking advantage of social media and forums to do so. As a case study, look up "swatting." Because of that, I'm not comfortable sharing any pictures or details about my level of involvement (or the involvement of my agency) on the internet. Why? Because I'm not an idiot.

Frankly, it sucks because I'd love to share. And as I said, a lot of good has been done by area LE recently, protecting both the rights and safety of protestors and the general public alike. Too bad it's just not safe to do so.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:19 am

That answers that. I, and many others, would love to see/hear about good stuff in the area, but opsec is opsec. Keep on with the good stuff and the lid will be put on the bad element soon. Not soon enough, but cold weather is coming and opportunistic rioters hate bad weather.

EAFHR

Post by EAFHR » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:36 am

LJ126 wrote:And as I said, a lot of good has been done by area LE recently, protecting both the rights and safety of protestors and the general public alike.
Agreed on all points - as a member of the general public who lives entirely too close to the Shaw area, and works downtown. Thank you!

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am

Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:39 pm

In all the hand wringing over the protests I don't think most of us considered conventional terror plots such as this one to kill the prosecutor, Chief of Police and blow up the St. Louis Arch:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... f941e.html
Sources close to the investigation were uncertain whether the men had the capability to carry out the plans, although the two allegedly did buy what they thought was a pipe bomb in an undercover law enforcement sting.

The men wanted to acquire two more bombs, the sources said, but could not afford to do it until one suspect’s girlfriend’s Electronic Benefit Transfer card was replenished.
We are not exactly dealing with the A-Team here. The indictment and quite a lot more at the above link. Here are some tweets:

http://wreg.com/2014/11/28/plot-reporte ... rosecutor/

Not sure how St. Louis was a member of the Knights of Columbus (which BTW is not the KKK and was formed 600 years after he died) or how the Gateway Arch became a crucial link in the chain of world wide evil but there you have it.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:34 pm

Ferguson protesters arrested as county declares state of emergency

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/10/us/ferguson-protests/

Ferguson, Missouri (CNN)—As police rounded up protesters at several rallies Monday, a top St. Louis County official declared a state of emergency, saying violence had marred demonstrations marking the one-year anniversary of Michael Brown's death.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:32 pm

More Than 20 Arrested In Ferguson; Armed 'Oath Keepers' Walk Streets

Visibly and heavily armed civilians walking around in this situation. Oh boy. :ohdear:

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:40 pm

KGBrick wrote:More Than 20 Arrested In Ferguson; Armed 'Oath Keepers' Walk Streets

Visibly and heavily armed civilians walking around in this situation. Oh boy. :ohdear:
Anti-government, conspiracy theorists, as heavily armed as the cops, and with itchy trigger fingers? Yay.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:28 pm

I don't know about all that. I'm mostly concerned with making things unnecessarily complex for law enforcement and, well, what happens when someone chucks a bottle at these guys from out in the darkness? Or a molotov? Or a bullet?

Are they all going to have the restraint to hold their fire until it is legal and necessary? Even Leroy Jenkins? We all love him, he's funny as hell and good in a tight spot... but didn't he put us there in the first place?

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:57 pm

KGBrick wrote:I don't know about all that. I'm mostly concerned with making things unnecessarily complex for law enforcement and, well, what happens when someone chucks a bottle at these guys from out in the darkness? Or a molotov? Or a bullet?

Are they all going to have the restraint to hold their fire until it is legal and necessary? Even Leroy Jenkins? We all love him, he's funny as hell and good in a tight spot... but didn't he put us there in the first place?
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-i- ... tia-group/

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:19 pm

Whatever truth may be inherent in that article, I couldn't finish it. I like my news to at least attempt to be unbiased. Naturally this fails but it usually eliminates my urge to strangle obnoxious reporters.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:47 pm

According to this USA Today story, they were present to protect reporters from a conservative news blog.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /31453655/
John, an Oath Keeper from Missouri who wouldn't provide his last name, said his group was at the protest to protect writers with the conservative website Infowars.com. He said journalists are sometimes robbed or beaten when trying to cover volatile events and that his group wanted to ensure Infowars writers were free to document the protests.

Infowars denied hiring Oath Keepers for private security and said it is not affiliated with the group, "although as a media organization we respect them for encouraging active military and retired veterans to study the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights."
I'm glad the situation has tapered down, for now.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:39 am

Nothing to see here, move along:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/ ... J520150814
St. Louis County on Friday ended the state of emergency it had put in effect earlier this week for Ferguson, Missouri, and surrounding areas due to Sunday's violent street protests.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:50 pm

I just saw this? I noticed little coverage of this matter in my area. To the STL folks:
is this a concern?

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 8fda3.html

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:04 am

raptor wrote:I just saw this? I noticed little coverage of this matter in my area. To the STL folks:
is this a concern?

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 8fda3.html
I am not in STL so I can't comment with any local knowledge. I'm trying to avoid going into much of what I saw stated/alleged in social media about what happened because I'm enjoying that this thread has not become a political mess as has happened previously in riot threads (but maybe that's just the lack of MSM coverage).

I will say this is another example to me of getting more prompt albeit unfiltered/unvetted info from social media. I saw this blow up on Twitter last night, saw almost nothing in MSM even though it sounded as dramatic as last year's riots. Sounds like there was a LOT of tear gas used in what's described as a relatively dense neighborhood, seeing comments today about teargas being kicked back up when folks mowed their lawns, or moved a car today. (There were pics of 4 different types of cannisters, both smoke and tear gas were used. Can't find that pic right now unfortunately. ETA found some pics
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CM0oJnXWoAAjv44.jpg:large , other pics won't post but labeled CS and CS smoke)

Given that I was seeing social media about tear gas leaking into churches and private residences, I think it'd definitely be a concern in that neighborhood. There's at least some folks in the protest movement, especially those with asthma, who now carry gas masks (which they commented other folks going by threatened to steal from them, having just been gassed themselves.)

Via social media it seems quieter tonite, like there was more focus on both peaceful protest in that area (more ice cream, no tear gas) and also on a memorial service for a 9 yo girl murdered by a drive by in her home yesterday. I was completely, utterly unimpressed by the MSM on covering what happened last night tho.

NOT LOCAL but just watching, I'm wondering if this may not become another shitstorm like last year, it looks like it has that potential. (Please, tell me I'm wrong? )
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:00 pm

duodecima wrote:
raptor wrote:I just saw this? I noticed little coverage of this matter in my area. To the STL folks:
is this a concern?
NOT LOCAL but just watching, I'm wondering if this may not become another shitstorm like last year, it looks like it has that potential. (Please, tell me I'm wrong? )
You're wrong... I think.

My understanding is that an 18 yr old male allegedly pointed a handgun at police, and got shot down by police, who were in the process of serving a warrant. Initially, the rumor was that it was a much younger male, and that he was not armed. Perhaps that's what sparked the unrest. As the facts are coming out, things seem to be settling down... hopefully not the calm before another storm.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:02 pm

Neptune Glory wrote:
duodecima wrote:
is this a concern?
You're wrong... I think.

My understanding is that an 18 yr old male allegedly pointed a handgun at police, and got shot down by police, who were in the process of serving a warrant. Initially, the rumor was that it was a much younger male, and that he was not armed. Perhaps that's what sparked the unrest. As the facts are coming out, things seem to be settling down... hopefully not the calm before another storm.
It certainly has turned out much more calmly, thankfully. I had heard that the initial information that went out was off on the age of the victim, but I believe that got corrected before nightfall. I believe there were some other factors in play that could have kept it going, I'm glad it didn't.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”