Riots in St Louis?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NamelessStain

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Seems there's been some shots fired. Any St. Louis person want to clarify?
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

EAFHR

Post by EAFHR » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:26 pm

NamelessStain wrote:Seems there's been some shots fired. Any St. Louis person want to clarify?
Probably unrelated to the protests, but fueling the fire. Two police officers were shot at last night. One was a Ferguson officer at a break-in; he was wounded in the arm. The second was an off-duty non-Ferguson officer in his private car on a major highway; the shots missed but he was injured by broken glass.

The protesters aren't buying the story of the Ferguson officer.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:33 pm

SNIP A ROO

Somewhat related...interesting happenings in Hong Kong at the moment... Heavy riots and police action.

They sure know to riot in Hong Kong. This is just a latest in a very long string of major 'riots' - going all the way back to 1956....

Now back to your regular thread....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:18 pm

NamelessStain wrote:Seems there's been some shots fired. Any St. Louis person want to clarify?
EAFHR has it right. 2 Ferguson cops shot at but not at the protest area.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:46 am

Here's an article from USA Today...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /16411871/
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:51 pm

Ruh roh. May have to impanel a new grand jury, which will delay all the stuff-&-thangs a bit longer....

Grand jury considering the Ferguson shooting is being investigated for misconduct:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... isconduct/
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:12 pm

RickOShea wrote:Ruh roh. May have to impanel a new grand jury, which will delay all the stuff-&-thangs a bit longer....

Grand jury considering the Ferguson shooting is being investigated for misconduct:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... isconduct/
That sure looked like someone talking out of their ass.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:46 pm

RickOShea wrote:Ruh roh. May have to impanel a new grand jury, which will delay all the stuff-&-thangs a bit longer....
I wonder if the twitter user is actually a friend of a grand jury member... or was just typing something on twitter to stir things up.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:46 pm

It depends how many alternates there are on the grand jury. Most likely outcome if this is a real leak is to disqualify that juror only.

Unless politics rears it's ugly head. If that happens who knows what the result will be.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

EAFHR

Post by EAFHR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:04 am

More protests are planned for tonight, targeting the MLB playoff game:
http://fox2now.com/2014/10/06/mlb-playo ... t-targets/

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:43 am

Symphony protests, interfering with the "me time" of ZS HQs upper crust.

One POV

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... ike-brown/
The group was surprised by the response, said Derek Laney, an organizer for Missourians Organizing for Reform and Empowerment. Instead of being ushered out in handcuffs by police, some patrons of the symphony — and some symphony members themselves — applauded the tuneful message. The group left on their own after about a minute and a half of singing, while they chanted “Blacks Lives Matter.”
Another POV

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10 ... t-go-over/
While the protest was met with applause from some members of the audience as well as the symphony, not everyone seemed pleased.

Some audience members appeared visibly annoyed; another person is heard on a video of the performance saying out of frame, ”He was a thug.”
St. Louis Police said they received no calls about the demonstration.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:19 am

The audience played it well.
Boo them down, or have a confrontation and there is a nice sound bite for the media isn't there?
Ignore them and they go away.

(Any posts you see by me are just figments of your imagination.)
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:53 pm

EAFHR wrote:More protests are planned for tonight, targeting the MLB playoff game:
http://fox2now.com/2014/10/06/mlb-playo ... t-targets/
:? Oh NOES!!! I want the Cardinals to win tonight, and they get sketchy if there's a rain delay, let alone a protest delay!!! :ohdear:

Go Cards!!!! :clap:
-Neptune

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:14 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:The audience played it well.
Boo them down, or have a confrontation and there is a nice sound bite for the media isn't there?
Ignore them and they go away.

IMO this was non-violent protest done right. And as someone above mentioned, many in the audience and in the symphony agreed with the sentiment. They got applause from the stage. Many did not, but that's how demonstrations always go.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:48 pm

A group of white St. Louis Cardinals fans clashed Monday night with a group of black protesters seeking “justice for Mike Brown,” the unarmed teenager gunned down by a Ferguson, Missouri, police officer.

A video posted online by Argus Streaming News shows the group of young demonstrators rhythmically chanting “we gonna shut the sh*t down” outside the Cardinals’ playoff game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, reported Deadspin.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/st-l ... go-darren/

The story gets worse from there, with some of the fans (from inside of the ticketed area) chanting, "Let's go, Darren!" instead of let's go Cardinals, apparently trying to incite the protesters into violence.

Ick. It seems we have a very long way to go as a community, if this report is accurate.
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Neptune Glory wrote:
A group of white St. Louis Cardinals fans clashed Monday night with a group of black protesters seeking “justice for Mike Brown,” the unarmed teenager gunned down by a Ferguson, Missouri, police officer.

A video posted online by Argus Streaming News shows the group of young demonstrators rhythmically chanting “we gonna shut the sh*t down” outside the Cardinals’ playoff game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, reported Deadspin.

The story gets worse from there, with some of the fans (from inside of the ticketed area) chanting, "Let's go, Darren!" instead of let's go Cardinals, apparently trying to incite the protesters into violence.

Ick. It seems we have a very long way to go as a community, if this report is accurate.
-Neptune
Why? It's only ok if it's a one way street?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:43 pm

Sounds like someone might've gone as far with reasoning as "lots of media coverage," but stopped before reaching "interrupting entertainment of drunk people." :oops:

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:47 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Neptune Glory wrote:

-Neptune
Why? It's only ok if it's a one way street?
No... civilized discourse is a two way street, but -- by definition -- civilized. As John Stewart once put it, "When we amplify everything, we hear nothing."
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:00 pm

In fact looking at the other side of the video - I really appreciate their chants of:

We're going to shut the shit down.

Who do we want, Darren Wilson! How do we want him, DEAD!

They whole damn system is guilty is hell, (cant hear the rest...)
And the protesters standing on the fence @ 3:50 or so...
The camera man causing and encouraging issues...

You link forgot to mention the above for some reason...
after 10minutes I got tired of watching the same...

But your right, those fans should be ashamed of them selves for responding to the protest... How dare they actually dare to disagree with the protest, they must be racist!
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:24 pm

SCBrian wrote:In fact looking at the other side of the video - I really appreciate their chants of:

We're going to shut the shit down.

Who do we want, Darren Wilson! How do we want him, DEAD!

They whole damn system is guilty is hell, (cant hear the rest...)
And the protesters standing on the fence @ 3:50 or so...
The camera man causing and encouraging issues...

You link forgot to mention the above for some reason...
after 10minutes I got tired of watching the same...

But your right, those fans should be ashamed of them selves for responding to the protest... How dare they actually dare to disagree with the protest, they must be racist!
You didn't read my post. What I said was, "We have a long way to go as a community." The entire community of St. Louis, including the asshats on both sides of that verbal altercation.

And... apparently, this one.
-Neptune

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:43 pm

At least they were smart enough not to hold that protest on free bat night.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:49 pm

No I read and quoted the whole post, from the link from a biased source to your commentary of:

Now you seem to be getting a little butthurt since I called out the other side of the video (Which was apparently forgotten in both your source, and your commentary).
I do however agree there were issues on BOTH sides of that video, that start with the fact that some bozo thought it'd be a good idea to antagonize drunken members of the crowd...
Please when you have a chance, remove your asshat, so you can see some facts and we can discuss...
I tilt at Windmills

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:07 am

SCBrian wrote: Please when you have a chance, remove your asshat, so you can see some facts and we can discuss...
Please, by all means, continue to judge a book by it's cover and read what you want between selected lines.
-Neptune

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:43 am

Neptune Glory wrote:
SCBrian wrote: Please when you have a chance, remove your asshat, so you can see some facts and we can discuss...
Please, by all means, continue to judge a book by it's cover and read what you want between selected lines.
-Neptune
Oh please. Put down the feigned superiority and martyrdom. Both sides were out of line and unfortunately your reference only appeared to point out the baseball fans.

Coordinator: Crucifixion?
Prisoner: Yes.
Coordinator: Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

If you don't understand the reference:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lN4TSslz-0

SCBrian, let this one go bud. You've got your point across that people need to see/hear/consider both sides of a story before making judgements or faux outrage.

I went to my first ever Superbowl a few years back and my team lost. As we exited the stadium, another fan of my team goes up to a reporter's microphone acts like a moron so she has to cover up the mic and she rolled her eyes up like it wasn't the first time. I walk up after and apologized saying all fans of my team are not inconsiderate jerks. She smiled and I wave good bye.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”