Riots in St Louis?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by shrapnel » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:58 pm

Take any further discussion about who is or isn't in whichever pictures or media or whatever the fuck, to PM. Or just drop the argument. I don't care which, but you can't do it here. I'm splitting out some of the off topic posts, and anyone who continues bickering about the subject is going to get a warning.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:06 pm

I've heard unconfirmed rumors of "locals" ( unsure or rioters or protestors)
Claiming there will be hell to pay if the looted/burned businesses are not rebuilt
Also something about wanting jobs

I only ask if those more local to this situation believe if these people, do not receive what they want will cause further agitation
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote:I've heard unconfirmed rumors of "locals" ( unsure or rioters or protestors)
Claiming there will be hell to pay if the looted/burned businesses are not rebuilt

I only ask if those more local to this situation believe if these people, do not receive what they want will cause further agitation
What are they going to do? Burn them down again?

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Burn more down is always a possibility

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote:Burn more down is always a possibility

Sadly this... Anyone who preps tons of ammo, but no fire extinguishers for civil unrest is a fool.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

WutsFrequencyKeneth

Post by WutsFrequencyKeneth » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote:I've heard unconfirmed rumors of "locals" ( unsure or rioters or protestors)

I think your post is more unsubstantiated bull that doesn't need to be further spread as you are doing, especially not in a thread about reporting on a situation, as opposed to hypothesizing and speculating about fantasies regarding such.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Do I dare ask where you heard this?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:25 pm

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/f ... ell-to-pay

This is where I read it, someone posted it and it popped up on my feed

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote:http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/f ... ell-to-pay

This is where I read it, someone posted it and it popped up on my feed
Well that's certainly a balanced newsource that puts accurate information ahead of political grandstanding.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Excuse me, for not knowing everything about every news outlet that exists and trying to ask if things might escalate,
Frankly I'm done with with this thread, all out of fucks now

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:17 pm

It only took three clicks to trace it back to the source, CBS News.

Of course, that's not exactly a paragon of unbiased journalism... and their sample size of three doesn't exactly seem to express the opinions of the masses...

Errr... actually, it probably does. The same kind of crap went on here in LA after the riots. And the riots before that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:22 pm

I hear Saturn is actually a giant alien Death Star. Here is the link to the uncompromising source:

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/48 ... giant-ufo/

There are lots of news stories on that site that I am willing to bet most of you have never heard of.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:51 am

Sounds as if there was a tiny bit of excitement last night in Ferguson:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/wind ... t-25722010

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Someone set fire to the shrine for Michael Brown, and some people responded by setting a local business on fire. :vmad:

Police responded, lots of people went to jail, 2 cops got hit with rocks. :(

Hopefully, that's all that happens, but I'm not optimistic about it.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:30 am

crypto wrote:Someone set fire to the shrine for Michael Brown, and some people responded by setting a local business on fire. :vmad:

Police responded, lots of people went to jail, 2 cops got hit with rocks. :(

Hopefully, that's all that happens, but I'm not optimistic about it.
It's an assumption that someone set fire to the shrine. For all we know it could have been one of the candles at the shrine that accidentally started it. More overreaction imo, get the facts first please.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:43 am

People who tried to put out the fire at the Brown shrine were tweeting about smelling gasoline, so I dunno.

It's not like burning down a business is a proper response to someone lighting a shrine anyway, so I think you're quibbling about the wrong end of the story here. Whether someone tossed a bottle of gas out the window or not, arson is not a solution.

Anyway, here's a picture of the shrine. Too big to hotlink it, so you gotta click, sorry.

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/i/newscms/2 ... c7cbfd.jpg
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:40 am

crypto wrote:People who tried to put out the fire at the Brown shrine were tweeting about smelling gasoline, so I dunno.

It's not like burning down a business is a proper response to someone lighting a shrine anyway, so I think you're quibbling about the wrong end of the story here. Whether someone tossed a bottle of gas out the window or not, arson is not a solution.

Anyway, here's a picture of the shrine. Too big to hotlink it, so you gotta click, sorry.

People also think Anna Nicole married for love. We as a society need to stop overreacting until the facts are collected. Just my opinion.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

EAFHR

Post by EAFHR » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:54 am

NamelessStain wrote:
crypto wrote:People who tried to put out the fire at the Brown shrine were tweeting about smelling gasoline, so I dunno.

People also think Anna Nicole married for love. We as a society need to stop overreacting until the facts are collected. Just my opinion.
I think the point is that the protesters/rioters/whatever thought that the shrine was set on fire deliberately. Yes, they are overreacting - but that's the situation we are living in here. A LOT of overreacting in seriously bad ways, not only vandalism and looting but calls to shut down major highways and public transit (not very successful so far, thankfully).

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Sounds like another tense night in Ferguson.

EAFHR

Post by EAFHR » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:53 pm

More trouble tonight is probable:
Police just raided the camp of @lostvoices14. Arrested one member, 19-yo Dasha, and confiscated their tents and possessions.
Lostvoices14 had been camping out across from the police station.

Via Antonio French (local alderman) on Twitter https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:14 pm

More trouble indeed

A Ferguson, Missouri, police officer was shot Saturday evening, according to St. Louis County Police spokesman Brian Schellman.

The officer was shot in the arm. His injuries are non-life-threatening and he is in the hospital, said Ferguson police spokesman Tim Zoll.

Police said that the officer was shot near the Ferguson community center, an area which has not been the focus of protests over the Michael Brown shooting.

The suspect remains at large, he said.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:23 am

NamelessStain wrote:

I think I would defer to crypto's opinion and read on the situation since he lives in St Louis area, and was instrumental in setting up live feed from Ferguson through Reddit as well as kept us all apprised here as to the situation.

Somewhat related...interesting happenings in Hong Kong at the moment... Heavy riots and police action.
Last edited by Old_Man on Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

EAFHR

Post by EAFHR » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:40 am

Two police officers were shot at last night. One was a Ferguson officer at a break-in; he was wounded in the arm. The second was an off-duty non-Ferguson officer in his private car on a major highway; the shots missed but he was injured by broken glass.

Tensions are really high. Yesterday the fairly-peaceful group that's been regularly demonstrating outside the Ferguson police department were told they had to keep moving. There were arrests and much anger. Tweets in response to the two shootings included glee that the policemen were shot and anger that the Ferguson officer had shot back ("stop killing us") - although apparently the suspects were not injured.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:26 am

Rebel Pariah wrote:Excuse me, for not knowing everything about every news outlet that exists and trying to ask if things might escalate,
Frankly I'm done with with this thread, all out of fucks now
RP-
Not your fault.
Apparently some people can't differentiate between a person expressing concern over what they've heard vs a person trying to stir the pot...particullary when the story/information doesn't mesh with how they wish things would be presented.

"I heard a rumor, and I have a concern", is a quite valid topic for converstion. We aren't trying to convince a judge to issue search or arrest warrants here. If you think someone is coming to an inccorect conclusion discuss it with them, don't flame or dogpile them.
Folks, try and cut back on the snark and definitly stop leaping to conclusions about a poster's reasons for asking questions. On and off, this thread has picked up the odor of Salem, Mass circa 1692.
Last edited by LowKey on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”