Riots in St Louis?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2691
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:37 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by Boondock » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:53 pm

Back on topic, here's a link to an article about the Ferguson public library serving as a refuge during the unrest:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ferguson-libra ... d=25050930

User avatar
McSquishin
* *
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:51 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Three way tie between 28 Days/Weeks Later, and Zombieland.
Location: South Central Kentucky

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by McSquishin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm not sure if this has already been touched on, but has there been a discussion (locally in Ferguson) about the long term economic damage this situation has created? On that line, what is the economic damage? I've seen and heard about some businesses being damaged/destroyed, but what about local infrastructure? With all the people that have been out protesting has there been a noticeable difference in any way from people not being at their jobs during all this mess?
Ne Desit Virtus

User avatar
sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3496
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:33 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by sheddi » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:01 pm

McSquishin wrote:I'm not sure if this has already been touched on, but has there been a discussion (locally in Ferguson) about the long term economic damage this situation has created? On that line, what is the economic damage? I've seen and heard about some businesses being damaged/destroyed, but what about local infrastructure? With all the people that have been out protesting has there been a noticeable difference in any way from people not being at their jobs during all this mess?
In a strange coincidence I'd just read a Guardian article on that before coming here to see the latest.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/a ... s-equality
When Wall Street investors take a financial hit they call it getting a haircut. For Thomas Bradley, a barber in Ferguson, the mayhem in this Missouri town has given the expression a literal meaning.

The 24-year-old sat in one of his own leather chairs, a bib around his neck, to receive a haircut from a colleague, Toriano Johnson. Why not? There were no customers. Eleven days of protests triggered by the police shooting of an unarmed African American teenager have reduced business by 80%, leaving the barbershop’s 10 employees idle – and increasingly anxious.

“It’s bad. People don’t want to come to this area right now, everyone’s on edge,” said Bradley.

It one sense that is a familiar feeling: this blue collar outpost of St Louis has long lived on an economic edge, balanced between getting by and tumbling into poverty.

The clashes between riot police and protestors, furious over the 9 August death of Michael Brown, 18, have focused worldwide attention on militarised US policing but they have also damaged local businesses and pushed some of their workers and families closer to destitution. One store is burned and gutted, other businesses are smashed and looted, others are physically unscathed but bereft of customers.

“I’m down 99%,” said Kaye Mershon, owner of the Clip Appeal beauty salon. “The police shut down the street, people can’t get in. And by the time they open it people are afraid to come.” Consequences for her six staff were grave, said Mershon.
More (probably three times as much as I've quoted) at the link.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!


Member
ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

User avatar
NamelessStain
* * * * *
Posts: 2659
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Coastal SC

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Yea, I don't see it on the approved hand signal chart: http://i.imgur.com/vYovL.jpg
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

User avatar
NamelessStain
* * * * *
Posts: 2659
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Coastal SC

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Here's an interesting article with arrest numbers: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 0-14-22-04

Summary:
163 arrests
- Only 7 from Ferguson, most are Missourians
- 128 cited for failure to disperse (could this somehow be linked to the permit topic brought up earlier? I have no idea)
- 21 burglary related
- 4 assaulting police officers
- others include: trespass, peace disturbance, and destruction of private property
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by crypto » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Nah, the failure to disperse is what happens when the tear gas goes off and the LRAD starts beeping and people stay put .
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
Browning 35
BANNED
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man
Location: Texas

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:06 pm

NamelessStain wrote:Here's an interesting article with arrest numbers: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 0-14-22-04

Summary:
163 arrests
- Only 7 from Ferguson, most are Missourians
- 128 cited for failure to disperse (could this somehow be linked to the permit topic brought up earlier? I have no idea)
- 21 burglary related
- 4 assaulting police officers
- others include: trespass, peace disturbance, and destruction of private property
So what about that guy in the American flag shirt that was throwing Molotov's and tear gas back at the police and that they arrested on video? There's a segment showing it on YouTube somewhere. Seems like that's a little more than disturbing the peace.

Edit : This guy.

Pic throwing tear gas back and after when he was arrested.
Image

Image

----

There was an armed march here in Dallas by the NBPP yesterday. Nothing happened, but this could end up effecting other places besides Ferguson Missouri.

Texas gun club named after Black Panthers leader holds armed march against ‘killer cops’ (*Click*)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLqXYF3ephY
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Aikibiker
* * * * *
Posts: 1420
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:56 pm
Location: Outside CONUS making tax free cash
Contact:

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by Aikibiker » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:24 pm

crypto wrote:
Nick Adams wrote:and the un cropped one that showed him with the Blood Gang Members ,
You mean this one?

Image

Or this one?

Image

Just so you know, thats a Kappa Alpha Psi sign. His university fraternity.

YOU ARE A GROWN-ASS MAN I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO YOU THAT NOT ALL BLACK MEN ARE IN GANGS.



Try making that hand symbol in certain areas of Kosovo. You will get your head cut off.

No one has a copyright on hand positions. That may very well be the sign of the Captain's fraternity. However a quick google search showed that particular hand sign is associated with several Bloods sets and at least one Crip set.

I am pretty sure that there were bloods gang members at the Ferguson rallies/riots. It was widely reported that some of the violence was caused by Bloods from Chicago. I have not read anything about any fraternities being involved in the protestig however. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that. Personally I think the Captain posed for a highly inappropiate picture regardless of his intent. And as a captain in a law enforcement area he was certainly aware of the multiple meanings of that hand sign. Though probably not the Kosovo/Serb connection.
___________________

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by SCBrian » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:47 pm

Browning 35 wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:Here's an interesting article with arrest numbers: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 0-14-22-04

Summary:
163 arrests
- Only 7 from Ferguson, most are Missourians
- 128 cited for failure to disperse (could this somehow be linked to the permit topic brought up earlier? I have no idea)
- 21 burglary related
- 4 assaulting police officers
- others include: trespass, peace disturbance, and destruction of private property
So what about that guy in the American flag shirt that was throwing Molotov's and tear gas back at the police and that they arrested on video? There's a segment showing it on YouTube somewhere. Seems like that's a little more than disturbing the peace.

Edit : This guy.

Pic throwing tear gas back and after when he was arrested.
Image

Image

----

There was an armed march here in Dallas by the NBPP yesterday. Nothing happened, but this could end up effecting other places besides Ferguson Missouri.

Texas gun club named after Black Panthers leader holds armed march against ‘killer cops’ (*Click*)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLqXYF3ephY
Whaaatt??? Why'd they arrest him, he was only returning something they had dropped. THe man was obviously trying to take care of the littering problem from the PD and help them keep their toys all in one place...
:clownshoes:
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

User avatar
duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by duodecima » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Aikibiker wrote: That may very well be isthe sign of the Captain's fraternity.
FTFY. Since 1911. link to image because mobile not letting me post pic.

Back on topic of response to this kind of thing and its economic impact on local businesses- I haven't seen/can't find any fund raisers for the impacted businesses. Given the response to raising money for the food bank I wonder, once this is a little calmer, if that would be a way to try help those business that were impacted by the looting?
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by crypto » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Browning 35 wrote: So what about that guy in the American flag shirt that was throwing Molotov's and tear gas back at the police and that they arrested on video? There's a segment showing it on YouTube somewhere. Seems like that's a little more than disturbing the peace.
Not a molotov, just the gas canister. Those things are sparky as hell, its easy to see how they can set buildings on fire when you see them deployed at night. And I think he went down for assault but I didnt follow it too closely. That was on the first or second night and I was running myself ragged doing the news gathering thing. As a result I missed out on the next morning when the arrest reports came out.

That photographer is probably going to get a Pulitzer for that picture though, its a pretty fantastic image.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14408
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by dogbane » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:07 pm

crypto wrote:That photographer is probably going to get a Pulitzer for that picture though, its a pretty fantastic image.
I just want to know what brand of delicious salty snack is in his left hand.
Mostly not here anymore.

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by crypto » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:20 pm

MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

Nick Adams
* *
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by Nick Adams » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm not talking about the photos of Policeman Ron Johnson standing and flashing fraternity hand signs but rather I'm talking about the photo of him marching down the middle of the street. The one the media used shows him with a grandmotherly woman in a green outfit holding a sign with sign with very small print to his very left. The rest of the photo not used shows this woman but also shows just to his right , right next to him three youths with red bandanas over their faces and red ball hats on that were identified as being members of the gang the Bloods.
According to the police this is how these gang members dress , also the guy that was shot had an identical hat on.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17059
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by raptor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:28 pm

crypto wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Riplets


They are delicious.

I was going to say Ruffles based upon the bag but Riplets are a better match and makes more sense. Ruffles are not worth holding that aggressively.

User avatar
Browning 35
BANNED
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man
Location: Texas

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:29 pm

crypto wrote:
Browning 35 wrote: So what about that guy in the American flag shirt that was throwing Molotov's and tear gas back at the police and that they arrested on video? There's a segment showing it on YouTube somewhere. Seems like that's a little more than disturbing the peace.
Not a molotov, just the gas canister. Those things are sparky as hell, its easy to see how they can set buildings on fire when you see them deployed at night. And I think he went down for assault but I didnt follow it too closely. That was on the first or second night and I was running myself ragged doing the news gathering thing. As a result I missed out on the next morning when the arrest reports came out.
Yeah, I know that's a tear gas canister (hence the caption).

You misunderstood. There's video clip of him throwing both Molotov Cocktails and tear gas canisters. That's just the pic I could find with minimal effort to show who I was talking about.

I just remember some specific charge about throwing incendiaries during civil unrest. Might not be in the Missouri penal code. Should be more than just an assault or a disturbing the peace charge though.
That photographer is probably going to get a Pulitzer for that picture though, its a pretty fantastic image.
Does look pretty idealized. Nice and clear and everything.

He was humming those things too. Shoulda been a pitcher for a baseball team instead.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by crypto » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:36 pm

Nick Adams wrote:I'm not talking about the photos of Policeman Ron Johnson standing and flashing fraternity hand signs but rather I'm talking about the photo of him marching down the middle of the street. The one the media used shows him with a grandmotherly woman in a green outfit holding a sign with sign with very small print to his very left. The rest of the photo not used shows this woman but also shows just to his right , right next to him three youths with red bandanas over their faces and red ball hats on that were identified as being members of the gang the Bloods.
According to the police this is how these gang members dress , also the guy that was shot had an identical hat on.

Image

And


Image


Thats not a crop, thats an entirely different photo.

You know what, I'm out. I don't have the time or patience to sit here debunking all this bullshit. Go get your news from chimpout or wherever you hang out.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Posts: 8187
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:34 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.
Location: Monterey Bay, California

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:38 pm

Alright. This is why we can't have nice things. Locked for a cooling off period.

Life pro-tip: When several people repeatedly debunk your completely ignorant statement, you're probably wrong.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

User avatar
Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 9404
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: CT

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Cooling off period over. Topic unlocked.
Image

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

EAFHR
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:31 pm
Location: Saint Louis City

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by EAFHR » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:21 pm

There's a newspaper article today about the guy shown in the photo.
Image
He was charged with "officer interference", jailed overnight, then released.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... d0a52.html

It really is a great photo.

User avatar
Evan the Diplomat
* * * * *
Posts: 2237
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:21 pm

EAFHR wrote:There's a newspaper article today about the guy shown in the photo.
Image
He was charged with "officer interference", jailed overnight, then released.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... d0a52.html

It really is a great photo.
Great article too, gives texture to the scene in the neighborhood.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

User avatar
Blacksheep
* * * * *
Posts: 1862
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by Blacksheep » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Haven't heard Anything since thread went dark, riots still occurring?
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

EAFHR
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:31 pm
Location: Saint Louis City

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by EAFHR » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote:Haven't heard Anything since thread went dark, riots still occurring?
There are still nightly demonstrations, but they've been peaceful, with few marchers and no arrests. Mike Brown's funeral was today, and his father requested a day of calm, which so far is being respected. A march planned for this afternoon was rescheduled for tomorrow.

User avatar
Evan the Diplomat
* * * * *
Posts: 2237
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:26 pm

NamelessStain wrote:Yea, I don't see it on the approved hand signal chart: http://i.imgur.com/vYovL.jpg
That was very, very clever.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Locked

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”