Riots in St Louis?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by crypto » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 am

Good morning, people!

Last night had some new and interesting things happening.

* The cops pre-emptively blocked off all the side streets down the protest corridor to prevent people from Benny-Hilling around crowd control efforts. The controlled area was from Lucas & Hunt road down to Ferguson Ave. So essentially, there was a half-mile long section of street, hemmed in from the sides, with police controlling in/out access at the north/south ends.

* No vehicle traffic in after about 4pm. Foot traffic was still welcome.

* No curfew tonight. Instead of a set bedtime, the protest was allowed to continue until it became too violent. This seems to have taken some of the initial agitation out of the protestors, because they were no longer protesting against a pre-defined stopping point.

* NG soldiers protecting the command post. They didn't move from that spot, didn't take part in crowd control, and were not an element of last nights police actions.

* Protestors had to stay in motion, stationary protest was discouraged.

* The big one: The protestors are beginning to get the idea that not letting bottle/rock/molotov throwers and shooters blend in with them is a good thing. Last night saw protestors moving away from violent people, and once in a while a phalanx of riot cops would come in and selectively arrest them. while leaving the crowd to do their thing. This is in marked contrast to previous nights, where one bottle from a crowd met with 50 CS and smoke canisters and a hail of rubber bullets.

Narrative: The protest went on until about 10:30pm CST or so with sporadic arrests, until a large crowd gathered and enough bottles came out of the middle of it that the police ordered them to disperse. They of course didn't comply (because after all, it was a protest), and some gas was deployed. The situation seemed to be de-escalated for another half hour, when rocks and bottles started again in earnest right on the dot at 11pm, along with gunfire, and several reports of gasoline bombs being thrown.

police moved down W. Florissant clearing people out, which was facilitated by the lack of side street access. By midnight, the crowd was down to about 30 people who had made it down the one side-street still open, Canfield. as of 2am they arrested about 20-25 people still out protesting.

Total arrests last night were 31.
Total casualties were 2 non-police related shootings, one of which was a GSW to the hand believed to be self-inflicted.

Tonight seemed a big de-escalation of the violence level from the police, with a big step up in policing effectiveness. It appears that someone finally read Riots 101.

There was minimal looting or burglary during the protests last night.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:19 am

Any clarification on weather it was white or black supremacists ?
I mean obviously both are known to try to agitate shit

Just it being a white supremacist kinda seemed out of left field
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:27 am

I had not heard who specifically was arrested, but photos from the scene showed white people going to jail too. Its possible, but I don't know. They'd have to really keep it on the down-low. The survival rate of a white supremacist in that crowd would be lower than a new 2nd lieutenant in a hot LZ in vietnam.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 am

Kilo147 wrote:And yes, white supremacists. They've been coming to the town, by their own admission, to raise shit. Every one of the troublemakers is from out of town, primarily Chicago.

ETA: Apparently ISIS is on the scene also. :ohdear:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:44 am

jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:57 am

In the previous nights, the New Black Panthers have been pretty successful at /calming people down/. They helped organize a civilian guard of business against looters on the nights when the police were not protecting property, and they have done a pretty solid job of both urging restraint and calm during the protests to keep them going as legal, peaceful demonstrations and hold off the gas as long as possible.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:27 am

One of the most disturbing aspects of this from the police side has, for me, been the lack of what I would call discipline amongst some of the officers. By that I mean the reports of individual officers pointing firearms at and threatening members of the media, laying hands on members of the media with no intent to arrest, yelling at the media outside of communicating orders.

I know, I know, adrenaline, danger, overwork, exhaustion, yeah yeah. I've had jobs that involved incredibly dangerous work, crushing manual labor, long hours, etc. It was easy to keep customers and people complaining from getting yelled at by the employees - tell the employees to send customers to a superior and otherwise keep their mouths shut and go back to work.

The police seem to have designated handlers but the other officers don't seem to comprehend the 'shut up and go back to work' part. If the drug addicts, 18-year-olds, ex-cons, and illegal immigrants who are getting paid half as much with no benefits can manage it, why the hell can't LEOs?

Maybe I should just keep my teeth together and hide my ignorance but this doesn't make sense.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:44 am

Agreed, the cops have been training guns on too many people for sure.

I'm so used to seeing cops clear leather during felony arrests around here though that it didn't even strike me as odd or out of place.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:50 am

The Revolutionary Communist Party is also there.

Apparently everyone's looking to try and cash in on this.

So we have legitimate protestors and residents, pissed off cops with little sleep who are sick of getting shot at and having stuff thrown at them, armed business owners sick of getting looted, New Black Panthers, Nation of Islam, local thugs looking to throw rocks and Molotov's, outside political agitators of every stripe and the media filming it all. Sounds like the party to be at.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:58 am

I just wanted to give another round of, "thanks," to all the ZS folks on the ground who are keeping us informed of the events in Ferguson. Stay safe, gang.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:07 am

For those interested in arrest statistics:
A list obtained by NBC News shows that at least 78 people were arrested overnight at the protests in Ferguson, Missouri — more than double the total reported by authorities — and that the overwhelming majority of them were from Missouri.

Of the 78, all but three were arrested for refusing to disperse, the list shows. Two people, both from the St. Louis area, were arrested for unlawful use of a weapon, and a man from outside Chicago was arrested for interfering with an officer.
Link to full article: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michae ... ow-n184036

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 am

Browning 35 wrote: Sounds like the party to be at.
I don't think its a real party until the Ginger Separatist Movement shows up.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:26 am

Boondock wrote:I just wanted to give another round of, "thanks," to all the ZS folks on the ground who are keeping us informed of the events in Ferguson. Stay safe, gang.
I'll second that. I wouldn't really know anything about the situation if I only had the usual media outlets to listen to. I probably would have decided I was a mushroom and mostly ignored news from Ferguson.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 am

RickOShea wrote:
Browning 35 wrote: Sounds like the party to be at.
I don't think its a real party until the Ginger Separatist Movement shows up.
They're there too, but I didn't want to be accused of being political by mentioning them.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:34 am

Boondock wrote:For those interested in arrest statistics:
A list obtained by NBC News shows that at least 78 people were arrested overnight at the protests in Ferguson, Missouri — more than double the total reported by authorities — and that the overwhelming majority of them were from Missouri.

Of the 78, all but three were arrested for refusing to disperse, the list shows. Two people, both from the St. Louis area, were arrested for unlawful use of a weapon, and a man from outside Chicago was arrested for interfering with an officer.
Link to full article: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michae ... ow-n184036

Thanks for this!
MF'N TEAM LEADER

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 am

Some interesting points to this matter for any prepper:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html
Some of the men are from the area — Ferguson or surrounding towns also defined in part by the gulf separating the mostly white law enforcement agencies from a mistrusting African American public. Many others — it is hard to quantify the percentage — have arrived by bus and by car from Chicago, Detroit, Brooklyn and elsewhere.

They will not give their names. But their leaders say they are ready to fight, some with guns in their hands. “This is not the time for no peace,” said one man, a 27-year-old who made the trip here from Chicago.

He spoke after a small group of fellow militants held a meeting behind a looted store, sketching out ambitions for the days ahead.

“We are jobless men, and this is our job now — getting justice,” he said. “If that means violence, that’s okay by me. They’ve been doing this to us for years.”

Police on the streets Monday night said some of those wearing red bandannas are members of the Bloods gang.

The militants are one faction of many that have filled Ferguson’s streets each evening since Brown, walking unarmed between a convenience store and his grandmother’s apartment at midday on a Saturday, was shot at least six times and died.

There is a group of “peaceful protesters” that congregates around the QuikTrip, which was looted and burned during the first night of protest. Another gathers near the Ferguson police station. A third, more scattered faction uses the social-media community Black Twitter to organize demonstrators.
“It’s like looting tourism,” an officer commented as he showed the reports. He asked not to be named. “It’s like they are spending their gas money to come down here and steal.”

DeAndre Smith, fresh from looting the QuikTrip on a recent night, told reporters: “I’m proud of us. We deserve this, and this is what’s supposed to happen when there’s injustice in your community. St. Louis — not going to take this anymore.”

Now with the above here is the story of one of the people who is victim of this mentaility.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08 ... e-is-this/
A business owner in Ferguson, Missouri, watched in horror as rioters destroyed and looted his store, the Dellwood Market, on Sunday night. Luckily, Mumtaz Lalani wasn’t at his store at the time, but he watched a live video feed of the chaos from his home.

After unsuccessfully trying to break into the establishment, one protester is seen firing bullets into the storefront. Rioters then proceed to “ransack the liquor and cigarette cabinets,” CNN’s Jake Tapper reports. Two women also reportedly attempted to light the business on fire.

Here IMO are some "take away"s for preppers:

1) If there is a riot do not be there. It is easier for all to let your business burn and your stuff get looted than to risk getting in trouble trying to stop it.

2) The rioters are just as likely to be "looting tourists" and have no shame, fear or restraint when it comes to injuring you, taking your things, burning your business or any regard for you in general. In fact they will be proud of their thuggery

3) If you forcible attempt to stop them you will be in trouble even if you are in the right. In this case the press would have field day with anyone acting in lawful self defense.

There are a few other "take away"s that come to mind but I will reserve them for the time being. I intend to study this incident closely for lessons. I suggest anyone living in an urban area should do the same.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:03 pm

crypto wrote:Thanks for this!
:wink:

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:25 pm

New info that the officer received an orbital fracture from the struggle.

Why the hell didn't they release that information immediately?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/08 ... ike-brown/
Local St. Louis sources said Wilson suffered an “orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket.” This comes from a source within the District Attorney’s office and confirmed by the St. Louis County Police.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:32 pm

RepoMan73 wrote:New info that the officer received an orbital fracture from the struggle.

Why the hell didn't they release that information immediately?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/08 ... ike-brown/
Local St. Louis sources said Wilson suffered an “orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket.” This comes from a source within the District Attorney’s office and confirmed by the St. Louis County Police.

Because they want to collect facts and not jump to conclusions. Better to verify the information than start a riot... oh wait, nevermind.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:24 pm

I really hate it when threads overlap.

The OSCE* Representative on Freedom of the Media has taken a few moments out from deploring the situation in Crimea and the rest of Ukraine to comment on Ferguson.

http://www.osce.org/fom/122773
VIENNA, 19 August 2014 – OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatović today urged U.S. law enforcement authorities to respect the right of media to cover public events without undue restraints in light of the arrest of three more journalists reporting on civil disturbances in Ferguson, a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri.

“I call on the authorities to thoroughly review the circumstances behind these incidents and to ensure that journalists covering news in Ferguson can work freely and safely,” Mijatović said.

Getty Images photojournalist Scott Olson was arrested on Monday and in a separate incident state police arrested and took German journalists Ansgar Graw and Frank Herrmann into custody. All three were later released. The journalists were covering demonstrations in Ferguson, which have been taking place following the fatal shooting of a local resident last week.

On 13 August local law enforcement officers arrested Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery and Huffington Post reporter Ryan J. Reilly, and an Al Jazeera TV crew was sprayed with tear gas while reporting on the demonstrations. (See http://www.osce.org/fom/122623).

“I fully recognize the sensitive situation in Ferguson but the right of media to cover public protests must be taken into account when law enforcement officials are maintaining public order,” Mijatović said. “Journalists should not be intimidated by police.”

Mijatović also noted U.S. President Barack Obama’s condemnation of the arrests of journalists in Ferguson last week.
* OSCE is the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe, but it appears the US is a member and so is part of their purview:
http://www.osce.org/who/108218
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Mad_Maxx

Post by Mad_Maxx » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Y'all need to chill and stay in the First Amendment Area
Umbrella Corporation - International Biological Solutions
Vampire wrote:Norway is great. Just sit on a deserted mountaintop, and if a zombie happens to stumble upon you trow rocks at him until he rolls all the way down. :)

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:35 pm

Mad_Maxx wrote:
Y'all need to chill and stay in the First Amendment Area
Will there be punch and pie?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Uh oh.....Hearing about another "officer involved shooting" and a dead civilian, in the STLO area.

ETA: http://fox2now.com/2014/08/19/officer-i ... t-louis-2/
Last edited by RickOShea on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

williaty

Post by williaty » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:43 pm

RickOShea wrote:Uh oh.....Hearing about another "officer involved shooting" and a dead civilian, in the STLO area.
Link?

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”