Riots in St Louis?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Riots in St Louis?

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Thanks for all of the information guys. I hope everyone is staying safe. I'm really concerned about riots in my area, especially because if people choose to riot or such, I will most likely be stuck at work in case of any potential mass arrests and also safety concerns. I'm very glad to see the armed business owners were not harassed for protecting their property.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:48 pm

raptor wrote:
crypto wrote:Nope! I was just going to start another seperate topic to rant about this.

All of the people who operate the police scanners that uplink to broadcastifyme have removed the channels providing coverage of the riots, 'for public safety'.

Its horseshit, and ignores the very real need that people in the area have for timely notification that threats are near.

I'm working out a plan to stream my own scanner to it with coverage of all the important frequencies, and then not turn it off.
Wow! That is something that we should take into consideration for planning purposes.
I am thinking the most important lesson in this thread so far.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:53 pm

I know the kid and I know the kid's mom personally. It doesn't add up. He was a good kid.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:44 pm

crypto wrote:Nope! I was just going to start another seperate topic to rant about this.

All of the people who operate the police scanners that uplink to broadcastifyme have removed the channels providing coverage of the riots, 'for public safety'.

Its horseshit, and ignores the very real need that people in the area have for timely notification that threats are near.

I'm working out a plan to stream my own scanner to it with coverage of all the important frequencies, and then not turn it off.
At least you can use a scanner to get information.

Here (Anchorage) all police/fire is P25 AND encrypted. Not good..
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:19 pm

When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:29 pm

DJH wrote:FAA issues no fly zone notice.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_2599.html
Ok... Explain this to me... Why are they trying to block news choppers and why are scanners going offline?
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Don't know about the scanners, but the reasoning I read for the no-fly is that there were shots fired at Police helicopters.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

WutsFrequencyKeneth

Post by WutsFrequencyKeneth » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:56 pm

It's probably also not good to have a bunch of news choppers amid the police choppers. On top of that... maybe the area was a little close to Lambert Airport approach lanes for there to be so much chopper traffic?

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:58 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:
crypto wrote:Here's what's going on:
Hopefully the peak of this unrest is either at hand or soon will be and St Louis gets few days of heavy rain.
Ive been praying for rain since sunday, yeah.

I just picked up another police scanner today to place over at someones house across town where it can get the county riot frequencies, so I can stream it out. Hopefully I'll have it running by tomorrow.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Media is crying foul over the FAA ban and are claiming police are keeping reporters from entering Ferguson and firing rubber bullets at reporters and photographers who are already there.

Link
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Anianna wrote:Media is crying foul over the FAA ban and are claiming police are keeping reporters from entering Ferguson and firing rubber bullets at reporters and photographers who are already there.

Link
Something tells me if the police were shooting at the media in the US it would have been on fakebook an hour ago.

The no fly zone is legit:

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_2372.html
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:13 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Anianna wrote:Media is crying foul over the FAA ban and are claiming police are keeping reporters from entering Ferguson and firing rubber bullets at reporters and photographers who are already there.

Link
Something tells me if the police were shooting at the media in the US it would have been on fakebook an hour ago.

I'd have to dig it up - but I saw a pix of a cameraman with a bruise from a rubber bullet... (Link: https://twitter.com/PDPJ/status/4993350 ... 32/photo/1)

Crypto - has there been marshal law/curfew put into effect? Watched a vid of cops teargassing and firing rubber bullets at people in their own back yard (Admittedly since media is being kept out, we can only see one side...) (link: http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyr ... ckyard.php/
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:08 am

TacAir wrote:

At least you can use a scanner to get information.

Here (Anchorage) all police/fire is P25 AND encrypted. Not good..
Gah. The city is P25, which I can still receive, but no one encrypts their radios here. It's too much of a pain in the dick.

And running crypto on interagency bands like the RIOT channels I want to listen to is impossible. Too many different vendors, different departments, different radio shops. Its an interoperability nightmare, and many smaller departments are still on simple analog repeaters. So thats the lowest common denominator.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:09 am

HEY!

On the premise of "if you want something done right, do it your goddamned self",

Here's an unfiltered scanner feed of whats going on in the area:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/st-louis- ... ce-scanner

This is my stream. Once reddit got a hold of it it became rather popular.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:50 am

SCBrian wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Link

I'd have to dig it up - but I saw a pix of a cameraman with a bruise from a rubber bullet... (Link: https://twitter.com/PDPJ/status/4993350 ... 32/photo/1)

Crypto - has there been marshal law/curfew put into effect? Watched a vid of cops teargassing and firing rubber bullets at people in their own back yard (Admittedly since media is being kept out, we can only see one side...) (link: http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyr ... ckyard.php/
She is a wedding photographer with aspirations but whatever.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

williaty

Post by williaty » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:58 am

Stercutus wrote:She is a wedding photographer with aspirations but whatever.
As someone who made their living for a while as a photographer, I have to ask...

Being a wedding photographer to pay bills at the same time as freelancing to try to get your work into the papers is suddenly grounds to make it ok to shoot someone with a rubber bullet?

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:05 am

williaty wrote:
As someone who made their living for a while as a photographer, I have to ask...

Being a wedding photographer to pay bills at the same time as freelancing to try to get your work into the papers is suddenly grounds to make it ok to shoot someone with a rubber bullet?

Not that I have a dog in this fight but I don't think that's what Stercutus is trying to say. Sounds like she's an amateur with no real idea how to act/stay safe when "embedded". One amateur "journalist" catching a rubber bullet in the leg during a riot does not equate to the police suppressing the media.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:30 am

yossarian wrote:
williaty wrote:

Not that I have a dog in this fight but I don't think that's what Stercutus is trying to say. Sounds like she's an amateur with no real idea how to act/stay safe when "embedded". One amateur "journalist" catching a rubber bullet in the leg during a riot does not equate to the police suppressing the media.

There were multiple reports of (legitimate media) being kept out "for their own safety"... I can track them down later. I'll Ignore Stercutus comment as I (and the wife) also take photos (Advanced amateurs). As for the rubber paintballs, the impact she took was intentional, It didn't skip or bounce looking at that bruise. If the PD cant manage to control their fire with paintballs, perhaps they should have the more lethal equipment revoked until they remember how to aim. I'm going back to the video I posted above of the tear gas. I wanna know if there is a martial law/curfew in effect or by what right do the PD have to teargas / Use LTL rounds at people ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:37 am

Found one of the reports from a councilman in the area:

https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench/statu ... 2918774784

Antonio French, an alderman of the 21st Ward in St. Louis and a prominent live-tweeter of the Ferguson protests, tweeted, "A line of police cars with high beams on greets anyone trying to enter Ferguson. It's shut down. No media allowed."

http://mashable.com/2014/08/12/faa-flig ... -missouri/
I tilt at Windmills

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 am

yossarian wrote:
williaty wrote:

Yep. I have no idea but it sounds to me like she was probably inexperienced in reporting riots/civil unrest. Generally reporters stay behind police lines or at least to the edges of the mob and try to film from a high vantage point.
If venturing into the mob will wear flak jackets and protective head gear that has 'Press' clearly marked on it, you only have to watch recent news reports from Iraq, Syria or the Gaza Strip to see this.
If water canon had been used she would have got soaked, if tear gas had been used she would have had sore eyes, it's the nature of her job.'
Edit: I do commend any journalists willing to brave taking photos during rioting.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:52 am

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/08/12/ ... ross-area/

Well well well... Anyone else see this happening?
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:38 am

I wonder how we escaped all this rioting and looting when an unarmed white student Robert Cameron Redus was shot dead by a campus cop last year?...Hmmm

Some friends of mine thought it was funny that people were looting and stealing fake hair extensions. I told them it was probably Real hair and do they know what real hair extensions cost !? Having bought them for my Girl I know! LOL

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:25 am

wee drop o' bush wrote:
yossarian wrote:
williaty wrote:

Yep. I have no idea but it sounds to me like she was probably inexperienced in reporting riots/civil unrest. Generally reporters stay behind police lines or at least to the edges of the mob and try to film from a high vantage point.
If venturing into the mob will wear flak jackets and protective head gear that has 'Press' clearly marked on it, you only have to watch recent news reports from Iraq, Syria or the Gaza Strip to see this.
If water canon had been used she would have got soaked, if tear gas had been used she would have had sore eyes, it's the nature of her job.'
Edit: I do commend any journalists willing to brave taking photos during rioting.
Sorry, I was unclear agree with all. Shooting media with rubber bullets means they were likely targeted since they would have been marked as media. It did not look as though she were marked as media.

Suppressing the media is a whole other issue that would be a rather blatant violation of rights by the police.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:00 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”