Things Headed South in Iraq

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kommander

Re: Things Headed South in Iraq

Post by Kommander » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:44 pm

The ISIS airforce thing is more than a bit overwrought. Of course they would do it if they could, but one does not simply pick up a fighter jet like one does an AK or even an armored fighting vehicle and go to war. You need trained pilots, ground crew, infrastructure, and supply lines to support the aircraft. Without those all you have is a low rent air and space museum.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Kommander wrote:The ISIS airforce thing is more than a bit overwrought. Of course they would do it if they could, but one does not simply pick up a fighter jet like one does an AK or even an armored fighting vehicle and go to war. You need trained pilots, ground crew, infrastructure, and supply lines to support the aircraft. Without those all you have is a low rent air and space museum.
I tend to agree. There will however likely be an old leftover pilot or two from the old regime days. The same guys that consistently ran away from Western Aircraft and landed them in Iran as fast as they could. There will probably be a couple of left over support guys too. The same ones who could not make it work unless a Russian adviser was leaning over their shoulder. They might be able to get something in the air but I would put it in the doubtful category.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 pm

I guess A-Q is tired of playing 2nd fiddle.

Al-Qaida: IS Should Rejoin Group and Fight West: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... h-26533052

"U.S. intelligence analysts are closely watching al-Qaida's overtures to the renegade Islamic State to reunite and fight the West, and while a full reconciliation is not on the horizon, there is evidence the two groups have curtailed their feud and are cooperating on the Syrian battlefield."
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:46 am

RickOShea wrote:I guess A-Q is tired of playing 2nd fiddle.

Al-Qaida: IS Should Rejoin Group and Fight West: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... h-26533052

"U.S. intelligence analysts are closely watching al-Qaida's overtures to the renegade Islamic State to reunite and fight the West, and while a full reconciliation is not on the horizon, there is evidence the two groups have curtailed their feud and are cooperating on the Syrian battlefield."
I think they see the writing on the wall. IS is a much better organized group. They will start losing recruits to IS if they continue to fight them.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:43 am

Gosh, I hate to be a cynic but now that the election is over a fresh round of deployments for "advise and assist" have been announced for Iraq, doubling the number of BOG's.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29965488
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Stercutus wrote:Gosh, I hate to be a cynic but now that the election is over a fresh round of deployments for "advise and assist" have been announced for Iraq, doubling the number of BOG's.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29965488
This has not been news to me for more than a month :lol:
Glad it's finally been announced.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:15 pm

I hate to be the one to say, "I told you so," but, uh....... that's how it is.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pentag ... ar-BBdyvx0

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:21 pm

Hopefully we will be smart enough to make the Iraqis pay for our intervention.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:09 am

dunamis wrote:I hate to be the one to say, "I told you so," but, uh....... that's how it is.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pentag ... ar-BBdyvx0
That's ok, lots of people said it... like me back in June:
With US advisers kicking them in the ass, conducting all the planning, feeding them confidence and intelligence; they will of course perform much better. The question is how much better? I think it will end up with the US providing a large portion of the kinetics in some form or another with "protection of forces" excuses all around.

Ahh and wer es das?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014 ... hy-we-lost

Out pimping his book one general finally admits he was wrong all along. As one of the many MFIC's who was told the truth by those on the ground and then when he was told he ignored it so he could check the block and move on up. Because hey, they don't give extra stars to trouble makers. Now he wants to admit he was wrong all along.
“Here’s what wasn’t said: we never had the discussion where we said, ‘Hey, Mr President, you realize you’re signing up for a 50-year commitment, or plus, in Afghanistan and Iraq. Where was that discussion? We talk about surges, but those are all short-fuse things. We’re still not having that.

“Has President Obama come to the American people and said, ‘By the way, this fight against Isis is going to last 30 or 40 years. You guys good with that?’”
So now that he knows (belatedly) that he was wrong he points out the obvious.... or what should have been obvious all along.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Daring raids by UK Special Forces leave 200 enemy dead in just four weeks:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... weeks.html
SAS troops with sniper rifles and heavy machine guns have killed hundreds of Islamic State extremists in a series of deadly quad-bike ambushes inside Iraq, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Defence sources indicated last night that soldiers from the elite fighting unit have eliminated up to eight terrorists per day’ in the daring raids, carried out during the past four weeks.Until now, it had been acknowledged only that the SAS was operating in a reconnaissance role in Iraq and was not involved in combat. But The Mail on Sunday has learned that small groups of soldiers are being dropped into IS territory in RAF Chinook helicopters – to take on the enemy.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:55 am

"Rat Patrol" rebooted. I like it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:33 am

Funny how some extremely well trained and well equipped dudes riding around in a few ATVs and pickups are a lot better than the bunch of local crazies who pick up some AK's and ride around terrorizing and killing unarmed civilians.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

B&Q

Post by B&Q » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:05 am

Daring raids by UK Special Forces leave 200 enemy dead in just four weeks
The BBC, Reuters and the entire 'quality' end of the UK press appears to have completely missed this story.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:11 am

B&Q wrote:
Daring raids by UK Special Forces leave 200 enemy dead in just four weeks
The BBC, Reuters and the entire 'quality' end of the UK press appears to have completely missed this story.
Maybe it is not actually happening?

These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

B&Q

Post by B&Q » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm surprised that any serious thread involves references to the Daily Mail or pictures of chimps.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 pm

B&Q wrote:I'm surprised that any serious thread involves references to the Daily Mail or pictures of chimps.
Welcome to Zombiesquad.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:12 am

A-10 Warthogs and Reaper drones called up to blast ISIS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -days.html

A dozen of the United States Air Force’s most feared attack aircraft are to be deployed in the battle against ISIS.

Twelve A-10 ‘Warthogs’ are being moved from Afghanistan to Kuwait to carry out patrols against the Islamic State militants who have taken swathes of Iraqi and Syrian territory.

The new deployment will boost the USAF’s ability to patrol the skies and take out ISIS targets.

ETA: Moonbat link:

U.S. Adds Planes to Bolster Drive to Wipe Out ISIS

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/27/us/us ... middleeast

A dozen A-10 ground-attack planes have recently moved from Afghanistan to Kuwait, where they are to start flying missions supporting Iraqi ground troops as early as this week, military officials said. About half a dozen missile-firing Reaper drones will also be redeployed from Afghanistan in the next several weeks.
Last edited by RickOShea on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:23 am

RickOShea wrote:A-10 Warthogs and Reaper drones called up to blast ISIS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -days.html

A dozen of the United States Air Force’s most feared attack aircraft are to be deployed in the battle against ISIS.

Twelve A-10 ‘Warthogs’ are being moved from Afghanistan to Kuwait to carry out patrols against the Islamic State militants who have taken swathes of Iraqi and Syrian territory.

The new deployment will boost the USAF’s ability to patrol the skies and take out ISIS targets.
The Daily Mail is not a reliable source.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:23 am

Towanda wrote:The Daily Mail is not a reliable source.
True. But they can, sometimes, point you in the right direction.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/mili ... /19520527/

B&Q

Post by B&Q » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Boondock wrote:

The Daily Mail will report stories that appeal to it's readers 'appetites', but if none are available, it will happily invent one.

Look through the reader comments and you will get a good idea of the target readership.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:54 pm

B&Q wrote:
Boondock wrote:

The Daily Mail will report stories that appeal to it's readers 'appetites', but if none are available, it will happily invent one.

Look through the reader comments and you will get a good idea of the target readership.
So let me get this straight....the Military Times, the New York Times, & the Daily Mail all post the same story.....But because the Daily mail is involved you are saying that the story is false?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:19 pm

B&Q wrote:
Boondock wrote:

Yeah, it has always been women.

I am not sure what you are trying to say.
So let me get this straight....the Military Times, the New York Times, & the Daily Mail all post the same story.....But because the Daily mail is involved you are saying that the story is false?
Different story. Just to throw some more fuel on to the fire with that story:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/defenc ... iraq-syria
British special forces are trying to gather intelligence in Iraq, and possibly in Syria as well, on the commanders, and hostage-takers, of the Islamic State (Isis).

We don't know this for sure because of the British government's refusal to comment on the activities of the SAS or the SBS, its naval equivalent.

"We never comment on the disposition of our special forces anywhere in the world and that will remain our policy", Philip Hammond, the foreign secretary, told the BBC last month.
We could (re)learn a lot from that. The OPSEC of the last seven years in the US has been horrible beyond all reason. It is almost as though people with low self esteem issues are releasing classified information to make themselves feel good about shit they never did and don't understand. While totally pathetic this does irreparable damage and cost hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.

Still a lot of "anonymous sources" reports from the Mirror, IBT, The Guardian etc

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... er-4097083

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-special-for ... aq-1462419

I think we can all agree that TF Black is back in operation. That being the case then it seems to follow that a lot of IS members are going to turn up missing or dead.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:20 pm

B&Q wrote:The Daily Mail will report stories that appeal to it's readers 'appetites', but if none are available, it will happily invent one.
I couldn't agree with you more. Anything I read in the Mail gets checked against other sources. And I recommend doing the same with articles in the New York Times or any other media outlet.

B&Q

Post by B&Q » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:11 pm

This could be a really useful discussion regarding news sources. Rather than derailing the thread, perhaps it could continue in the one Doc started previously?

"Vetting your information"

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108214&start=0

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”