Dixie "Icepocalypse" 2014-What Worked/Didn't

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Belair56

Re: Dixie "Icepocalypse" 2014-What Worked/Didn't

Post by Belair56 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Paragraph one says "In some Localities"......

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Belair56 wrote:Paragraph one says "In some Localities"......
It was adopted by NYS as it's standard code.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

williaty

Post by williaty » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Belair56 wrote:And who enforces it?
You'll have a local code and zoning enforcement agency. They will enforce the code with legal penalties. Thankfully, as a homeowner, you're not subject to random inspections by the enforcement agency. The only time you'll attract their attention is when you alter something about your property that requires a permit and code compliance inspection. OTOH, if you elect to do something that's in violation of code and someone gets hurt you will absolutely be civilly, and possibly criminally, liable for the damage, harm, or fatality. If you have an event that results in an insurance claim, the insurance investigator will also not accept that you chose to do something in violation of code, will deny your claim, and will terminate your policy. Once your policy has been terminated with cause, it will be nearly impossible to obtain insurance from any other company.

Backfeeding is something only a dickhead would plan to do. Because you're a prepper, you're actually planning ahead of time which gives you the opportunity to do it right. Manual transfer switches start at around $150 for a very basic one that you can easily install yourself. The switch will be safer, easier, can't get lost when you need it most, will be compliant with code, won't result in civil or criminal proceedings, and won't risk your insurance dropping you. If you don't like the idea of a manual transfer switch, there's a about a dozen other safe, easy, and legal ways to hook a generator to your house.

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks everyone for the input, Can't see this being enforced in our community, were on municipal power, But I'm looking at the system that attaches under the electric meter, I think its called Genlink........

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Belair56 wrote:Thanks everyone for the input, Can't see this being enforced in our community, were on municipal power, But I'm looking at the system that attaches under the electric meter, I think its called Genlink........
I guess I look at the actual physical consequences of screwing up a jury rig (under stress, possibly in the dark, and some of y'all are electricians but most of us are not familiar with these kinds of tasks) - which would be injuring and possibly killing a lineman. The legal and insurance implications are important, but really. Forget code, forget legality, how about let's make sure not to kill the people trying to get the power back on? Never mind the possibility of killing myself or someone else closer to hand... Thanks for the links on transfer switches.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

kmcdon3960

Post by kmcdon3960 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:27 pm

I think it's been pretty well drilled into people's minds in this thread already, but on the back feeding issue.......

As a lineman, please, please, please please make sure you don't back feed into transformers. Most people don't realize that you can actually send power back into the grid from your house. Most of us use our voltage detectors, especially after a disaster like the icepocalypse, but when lines are down all over the place electricity can travel very long distances where it is not supposed to. Thank you in advance for using transfer switches, Or at the very least turning off your main breakers.

On a lighter note, I'm home from South Carolina, and I feel like everyone down there did a good job considering how badly they got hit. The barbecue was top notch and the people were much more polite than they are on my side of the Mason-Dixon Line. Back here they can't believe I ate hoghead hash (and loved it.)

I'd like to go back during a non-disaster situation where I don't have to work 16 hour days.

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:54 am

duodecima wrote:
Belair56 wrote:Thanks everyone for the input, Can't see this being enforced in our community, were on municipal power, But I'm looking at the system that attaches under the electric meter, I think its called Genlink........
I guess I look at the actual physical consequences of screwing up a jury rig (under stress, possibly in the dark, and some of y'all are electricians but most of us are not familiar with these kinds of tasks) - which would be injuring and possibly killing a lineman. The legal and insurance implications are important, but really. Forget code, forget legality, how about let's make sure not to kill the people trying to get the power back on? Never mind the possibility of killing myself or someone else closer to hand... Thanks for the links on transfer switches.
Most people in my community realize the dangers of this few can afford the switching panel, In the ice storm of '98 nothing happened like this, I know enough not to do this, and hopefully when it happens again I'll have the panel installed.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:21 am

duodecima wrote:
Of course it can be dangerous---so can using firearms & driving a car. It's not that difficult to remember to shut off the main breaker before
connecting to a generator

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:23 am

I'm tossing this link of a winter storm survival guide in this thread because I think it might be helpful with future winter storms.

Its from Allstate insurance of all place, and is actually pretty decent and covers a lot. Seems I am not the only prepper in the insurance biz.

http://blog.allstate.com/weathering-sto ... ps-for-Ice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:45 pm

In 1998 when the BIG ice storm hit, Insurance companies in the area of upper NYS did this: Paid you to run your generator, Paid you if you went out and bought one, paid you for brush removal, paid you to protect your home against further damage. Folks that had generators were smart, but the ones who had the insurance companies buy one decided to sell them that summer convinced it would never happen again.....

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”