MIT Active Shooter

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:41 pm

GentryMillMan wrote:
Iowa_guy wrote:
phalanx wrote:
zenlunatic wrote:If this guy makes it out alive, I wonder if they'll fry him considering Brevik just got 21 years for killing 77 people, which is absurd. I see a law research paper here.
In Norway...not Massachusetts.

Does MA even have a death penalty?
I would think they could justify trying him on federal charges. He could end up visiting Terre Haute just like McVeigh did.
I would say when the FBI gets involved in the investigations it doesn't matter what state your in, the death penalty is an option...
The FBI does not do extra-judicial killings if that is what you are trying to say. The CIA does that.

I hope no one gets "Dormered" like those people in Califorina. They got to be wired pretty tight right now so I would stay the hell off the streets and out of the away and low profile as possible
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:47 pm

lowjohn19 wrote:Just saw the press conference with Uncle Ruslan. He's a bad ass.
Mad too:

“I say Dzhokhar, if you’re alive, turn yourself in and ask for forgiveness from the victims, from the injured,” a visibly angry Tsarni said, adding that he would have alerted authorities if he knew of his nephews’ alleged plan.
“I respect this country, I love this country,” he continued. “[The bombing] has nothing to do with Chechnya … He put a shame on our family, he put a shame on the entire Chechnyan ethnicity.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/1 ... 1366384837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The uncle of the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects told CBS that the men "do not deserve to live on this earth."

Ruslan Tsarni told the station that he'd lived with suspects Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev in Cambridge for about 10 years. In an emotional interview, he said he realized that his nephews may be responsible after reading a report on AOL.com. Tsarni was also shocked but "not sympathetic" to learn that 26-year-old Tamerlan had been killed.


"Unbelievable -- he absolutely deserved this," Tsarni said between heavy breaths. "I always told those two, Islam has always been there, just do your business. Work, go to school, be useful. Know why you came to America ... I am not sympathizing with them."

He also described Tamerlan as a “loser.”

Tsarni said his nephews immigrated to the United States around 2000 or 2001, living in Cambridge the whole time. He said Dzhokhar was attending college somewhere outside of Boston.

He said he hasn't been in touch with the brothers since about 2009, and believes their parents moved back to Russia
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
lowjohn19
* * * *
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:04 am
Contact:

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by lowjohn19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:53 pm


User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17059
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by raptor » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Do we have any russian speakers here?

I am wondering if there is any significance to the name Tsarnaev? Clearly Tsar is a part of the name but I have not a clue if "naev" holds any significance?
Last edited by raptor on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lowjohn19
* * * *
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:04 am
Contact:

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by lowjohn19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Fox News Reports: CT police looking for vehicle possibly linked. 1999 green Honda civic. MA tag 116 GC7

User avatar
Iowa_guy
* * *
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: Central Iowa

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by Iowa_guy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:03 pm

raptor wrote:Do we have any russian speakers here?

I am wondering if there is any significance to the name Tsarnaev? Clearly Tsar is a part of the name but I have not a clue if "naev" holds any significance?
Took 5 years of it back in the day. The "наев" (naev) portion I believe is just a way to indicate it as a proper name.

User avatar
Iowa_guy
* * *
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: Central Iowa

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by Iowa_guy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:05 pm

lowjohn19 wrote:Fox News Reports: CT police looking for vehicle possibly linked. 1999 green Honda civic. MA tag 116 GC7
Damn another car? They seem to like their Honda's

User avatar
lowjohn19
* * * *
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:04 am
Contact:

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by lowjohn19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Iowa_guy wrote:
lowjohn19 wrote:Fox News Reports: CT police looking for vehicle possibly linked. 1999 green Honda civic. MA tag 116 GC7
Damn another car? They seem to like their Honda's
http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?A=4226&Q=523138

User avatar
Krustofski
* * * * *
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:40 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Location: The Teutonic Woodlands

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by Krustofski » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:13 pm

zenlunatic wrote:If this guy makes it out alive, I wonder if they'll fry him considering Brevik just got 21 years for killing 77 people, which is absurd. I see a law research paper here.
A minor point in this discussion, but a pet peeve of mine:

Breivik got life. Media who claim that "in Norway, life means 21 years" misunderstand or misrepresent the concept of preventive detention in every non-British European legal system ("Roman law", "Napoleonic Law", "Civil Law"). There are two ways in which Breivik is going to leave prison:

1. In a coffin.
2. In a wheelchair, going directly to a nursing home.


That is all. I got nothing to say about the topic at hand. Please carry on.
Off the internet until further notice.

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14408
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by dogbane » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:21 pm

A nifty graphic summary, courtesy of Bloomberg News:
Image
Mostly not here anymore.

User avatar
phalanx
* * * *
Posts: 948
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by phalanx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:33 pm

That's a good graphic, dogbane.

I hope we learn what their original plan was, because I've always thought that many cities in the U.S. would be especially susceptible to a Mumbai type attack, where the terrorists had previously scouted locations and did a sort of run-and-gun attack. I don't think that is what is happening now, it seems more like we interrupted them and they didn't have the chance to plant more bombs (which obviously they had more of).

I think it was the publishing of their photos that spooked them, and then they did something stupid to out themselves (robbing the convenience store to get some cash). But again, that's just a theory and we won't know unless they leave a manifesto or something.

Five bucks says White Hat bled out from a GSW and is behind a dumpster somewhere.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

User avatar
Evan the Diplomat
* * * * *
Posts: 2237
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm not concerned for his health, but if he thought he was Harrison Ford in the Fugitive and went down a man hole thinking he could come out in the Charles River or Boston harbor only to be overcome my methane or hydrogen sulfide. Now he might be rotting underground while the cops are beating the bushes.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

User avatar
TN-Shooter
* * *
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:53 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Location: Dirty South

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by TN-Shooter » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:38 pm

phalanx wrote:Five bucks says White Hat bled out from a GSW and is behind a dumpster somewhere.
Or the coward took his own life...
What if everyone was once a zombie but there was a human apocalypse?

User avatar
Iowa_guy
* * *
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: Central Iowa

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by Iowa_guy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:41 pm

The question about the name got me to thinking. Normally Chechens do not use Russian like names. They must have kept the Russian surname and in the case of the 19yr old gave him a more Islamic first name. Some people from the Caucuses "Russified" their name to avoid persecution and to help fit in.

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14408
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by dogbane » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Iowa_guy wrote:The question about the name got me to thinking. Normally Chechens do not use Russian like names. They must have kept the Russian surname and in the case of the 19yr old gave him a more Islamic first name. Some people from the Caucuses "Russified" their name to avoid persecution and to help fit in.
Tamerlan/Tamerlane/Timur is also a significant name in the Muslim tradition.
Timur, Tarmashirin Khan, Emir Timur (Persian: تیمور‎ Timūr, Chagatai: Temür "iron"; 9 April 1336 – 18 February 1405), historically known as Tamerlane[1] (from Persian: تيمور لنگ‎, Timūr-e Lang, Aksak Timur "Timur the Lame" in Turkish), was a Turkic ruler.[2][3][4] He conquered West, South and Central Asia and founded the Timurid dynasty. He was the grandfather of Ulugh Beg, who ruled Central Asia from 1411 to 1449,[5][6][7] and the great-great-great-grandfather of Babur Beg, founder of the Mughal Empire, which ruled South Asia for centuries.[8][9][10][11][12]

Timur envisioned the restoration of the Mongol Empire of Genghis Khan.[13] Unlike his predecessors Timur was also a devout Muslim who referred to himself as the Sword of Islam, converting nearly all the Borjigin leaders to Islam during his lifetime.[14] His armies were inclusively multi-ethnic. During his lifetime Timur would emerge as the most powerful ruler in the Muslim world after defeating the Mamluks of Egypt and Syria, the emerging Ottoman Empire and the declining Sultanate of Delhi. Timur had also decisively defeated the Christian Knights Hospitaller at Smyrna; styling himself a Ghazi.[15] By the end of his reign Timur had also gained complete control over all the remnants of the Chagatai Khanate, Ilkhanate, Golden Horde and even attempted to restore the Yuan dynasty.[citation needed]

Timur's armies were feared throughout Asia, Africa, and Europe,[16] sizable parts of which were laid to ruin by his campaigns.[17] Scholars estimate that his military campaigns caused the deaths of 17 million people, amounting to about 5% of the world population.[18][19]

On the other hand, Timur is also recognized as a great patron of art and architecture, as he interacted with Muslim intellectuals such as Ibn Khaldun and Hafiz-i Abru.[20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timur" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mostly not here anymore.

User avatar
phalanx
* * * *
Posts: 948
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by phalanx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Unconfirmed (by me) update on officers conditions: 1 dead, 1 critical, 15 wounded.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

User avatar
Iowa_guy
* * *
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: Central Iowa

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by Iowa_guy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm

dogbane wrote:
Iowa_guy wrote:The question about the name got me to thinking. Normally Chechens do not use Russian like names. They must have kept the Russian surname and in the case of the 19yr old gave him a more Islamic first name. Some people from the Caucuses "Russified" their name to avoid persecution and to help fit in.
Tamerlan/Tamerlane/Timur is also a significant name in the Muslim tradition.
Timur, Tarmashirin Khan, Emir Timur (Persian: تیمور‎ Timūr, Chagatai: Temür "iron"; 9 April 1336 – 18 February 1405), historically known as Tamerlane[1] (from Persian: تيمور لنگ‎, Timūr-e Lang, Aksak Timur "Timur the Lame" in Turkish), was a Turkic ruler.[2][3][4] He conquered West, South and Central Asia and founded the Timurid dynasty. He was the grandfather of Ulugh Beg, who ruled Central Asia from 1411 to 1449,[5][6][7] and the great-great-great-grandfather of Babur Beg, founder of the Mughal Empire, which ruled South Asia for centuries.[8][9][10][11][12]

Timur envisioned the restoration of the Mongol Empire of Genghis Khan.[13] Unlike his predecessors Timur was also a devout Muslim who referred to himself as the Sword of Islam, converting nearly all the Borjigin leaders to Islam during his lifetime.[14] His armies were inclusively multi-ethnic. During his lifetime Timur would emerge as the most powerful ruler in the Muslim world after defeating the Mamluks of Egypt and Syria, the emerging Ottoman Empire and the declining Sultanate of Delhi. Timur had also decisively defeated the Christian Knights Hospitaller at Smyrna; styling himself a Ghazi.[15] By the end of his reign Timur had also gained complete control over all the remnants of the Chagatai Khanate, Ilkhanate, Golden Horde and even attempted to restore the Yuan dynasty.[citation needed]

Timur's armies were feared throughout Asia, Africa, and Europe,[16] sizable parts of which were laid to ruin by his campaigns.[17] Scholars estimate that his military campaigns caused the deaths of 17 million people, amounting to about 5% of the world population.[18][19]

On the other hand, Timur is also recognized as a great patron of art and architecture, as he interacted with Muslim intellectuals such as Ibn Khaldun and Hafiz-i Abru.[20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timur" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good catch....it looked sort of Slavic and given his age (26) he could still have been given a Russian first name.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:04 pm

The sickos have been setting up fake twitter accounts on the little darlings. You think people could make better use of their time.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
lowjohn19
* * * *
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:04 am
Contact:

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by lowjohn19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:19 pm

lowjohn19 wrote:
Iowa_guy wrote:
lowjohn19 wrote:Fox News Reports: CT police looking for vehicle possibly linked. 1999 green Honda civic. MA tag 116 GC7
Damn another car? They seem to like their Honda's
http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?A=4226&Q=523138
Car was recovered.

User avatar
phalanx
* * * *
Posts: 948
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by phalanx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Listening to scanner, they have a suspect on the ground and are calling for a tac team.

EDIT: Not the guy
Last edited by phalanx on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

User avatar
slannesh
* * *
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 10:35 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by slannesh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:30 pm

phalanx wrote:Listening to scanner, they have a suspect on the ground and are calling for a tac team.
Do you have a link for the scanner you're listening to? The two Broadcastify and TuneIn ones aren't working for me now.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

User avatar
phalanx
* * * *
Posts: 948
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by phalanx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Suspect checked OK, not the target. Here's the link:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ma-rt-9-window-cam
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

User avatar
slannesh
* * *
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 10:35 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by slannesh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:42 pm

phalanx wrote:Suspect checked OK, not the target. Here's the link:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ma-rt-9-window-cam
Thanks
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

User avatar
lowjohn19
* * * *
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:04 am
Contact:

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by lowjohn19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:48 pm


Post Reply

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”