Trouble in Los Angeles

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Re: Trouble in Los Angeles

Post by Regulator » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 pm

TDW586 wrote:
Regulator wrote:Interesting that the media is only reporting a “rifle”. No assault weapon? Equally interesting is that no-one heard “multiple shots” fired into both the daughter and fiancé. Have suppressors ever been used in a murder since they’ve been regulated? Yet?

Hard to believe this guy would be going on a politically correct rampage, but equally hard to believe the media wouldn’t be using all their favorite buzz words.
His manifesto mentions a variety of weapons, including NFA weapons and suppressors. I suggest reading it, although we can't discuss it here because it is inherently political.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Agreed, I did read his manifesto and that’s where my curiosity lies. Why has the media made an effort not to link it to assault rifles? And what are the ramifications if a suppressor has now been used in a murder? Maybe these things have been mentioned somewhere, I just have noticed this reporting trend in the 6 or 7 articles I’ve seen on the topic.

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:34 pm

My dad lives near Corona he said people are a bit nervous around there.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 pm

Mostly not here anymore.

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm

What if this dude's grievances are legit, and he's NOT crazy as fuck, though?

The manifesto dives into near-schizophrenic ranting at times, but the dude might just have a chance at getting away with more hits, if he's planned correctly and disappeared for a while like right now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Miguel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by Miguel » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:59 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
spanningtree wrote:They found his badge in San Diego in the morning (at the airport) and then his truck in the afternoon in Big Bear. It would take about 1/2 day to drive between the two with good traffic). Big Bear is somewhat remote as far as southern CA goes, pretty light on law enforcement. I think he's playing a game of misdirection here, not a Rambo run. I'm thinking he placed a delayed incendiary in the vehicle to swarm LE to a remote area, he's probably long gone. :words:
If he's as smart as he claims he had a second vehicle at Big Bear waiting for him. Three years since he was fired, lots of time to plan.

On the other hand, his manifesto says he was disappointed in Teabow's season. If he expected better he's not that smart after all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I was thinking the same thing make it appear that he's on foot while driving around in a alternate vehicle.I see more casualties on the Leo side before this is over. Interested to see how this turns out.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Regulator wrote:Have suppressors ever been used in a murder since they’ve been regulated? Yet?
Yeah, but almost all of them were homemade improvised jobs, were stolen or were made by crooked gunsmiths working for criminal organizations.

I thought about it and I can think of at least 20 murders off the top of my head.

Not a single one were with a legal suppressor though.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Manliest wrote:What if this dude's grievances are legit, and he's NOT crazy as fuck, though?
Even if every grievance was legitimate, he is still crazy as fuck. Murdering whole families is not a way to lend credence to your claims.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 pm

I hope that this is resolved with no further loss of life.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Manliest wrote:What if this dude's grievances are legit, and he's NOT crazy as fuck, though?
Even if every grievance was legitimate, he is still crazy as fuck. Murdering whole families is not a way to lend credence to your claims.
This. From Dorner's 'manifesto': "Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil that I do not enjoy but must partake and complete for substantial change to occur within the LAPD and reclaim my name."

Complete substantial change within the LAPD by murdering the families of those who you say wronged you? Anyone who thinks that murdering the 27 year old daughter and fiance of the man who represented you at your disciplinary hearing will somehow reclaim your name is, by definition in my book, one crazy mother-fucking fuck.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:41 pm

That about covers it. I will say that I've read everything I can find on his disciplinary heating and termination, and I think he's a scumbag liar.

He didn't report the alleged brutality on the part of his FTO until two weeks after the fact, which also happened to be the day after she gave him a negative performance evaluation. Three employees at the hotel the alleged brutality happened at apparently confirmed the FTO's story, no one but the alleged victim (who was severely mentally ill) and his father (based solely off the alleged victim's statements, he was not present) supported Ofc. Nutjob's allegations.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Here's the second vehicle that got shot. They rammed him first, setting the airbags off, and when he didn't get out in time, they fired into the truck. A Ford Bronco forum that I frequent, has a member that is cousins with the victim. Apparently he lives in the vicinity of one of Dorners targets.

This whole ordeal reminds me of those cop movies where the good guy is set up and takes vengeance and clears his name

Too bad this is real life and his will probably end with a diet of 5.56.

Last edited by Assault Life on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Assault Life wrote:Here's the second vehicle that got shot. They rammed him first, setting the airbags off, and when he didn't get out in time, they fired into the truck. A Ford Bronco forum that I frequent, has a member that is cousins with the victim. Apparently he lives in the vicinity of one of Dorners targets.

Wow. They just rammed a vehicle that fit the description and shot @ the driver? Do I have that right?
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Like I said, scared and pissed, leads to bad judgment. Fucking unacceptable bad judgement in this case.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:51 pm

spanningtree wrote:They found his badge in San Diego in the morning (at the airport) and then his truck in the afternoon in Big Bear. It would take about 1/2 day to drive between the two with good traffic). Big Bear is somewhat remote as far as southern CA goes, pretty light on law enforcement. I think he's playing a game of misdirection here, not a Rambo run. I'm thinking he placed a delayed incendiary in the vehicle to swarm LE to a remote area, he's probably long gone. :words:
I am just speculating, like everyone else I think, but this was the first thing I thought of when I heard about all the strange moves he had made and the ensuing chaos that he's created. He claimed to be planning to use "asymmetrical warfare", the tools of which would include deception, confusion, and forcing the "enemy" to turn in on itself. Like a terrorist, he doesn't really have to do all that much (except keep from getting caught) to keep people scared etc. You never "win" the war, in a traditional sense, but the goal is to alter the way of life of your opponent.

I've also only given a cursory reading to the manifesto, but it sounded like he was looking for policy change on some front or another, and drawing lots of attention (bad attention included) to your manifesto and the agency that you are attempting to villify is one way to get people to talk about it. I hope they find him and resolve this without further bloodshed, but I'd say he's already accomplished the attention goal, if that was part of his intentions.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 pm

I wonder if this is going to end like that douchebag that froze to death after shooting that lady forest ranger at Mt. Rainier.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01 ... -dead?lite
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:59 pm

An aside, does anybody think that this guy's weight (listed by CNN as 270) might have more to do with the end of his Navy career than being fired by the LAPD?

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that the Navy (outside of specops) taught a lot about how to wage a successful guerrilla war. I guess we can be thankful that this guy isn't a Soldier or Marine. It could have been a really bad situation if this guy was a sapper or EOD.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 pm

feedthedog wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that the Navy (outside of specops) taught a lot about how to wage a successful guerrilla war. I guess we can be thankful that this guy isn't a Soldier or Marine. It could have been a really bad situation if this guy was a sapper or EOD.
Could have been really, really bad if he was 0351.
Last edited by Assault Life on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:21 pm

TDW586 wrote:An aside, does anybody think that this guy's weight (listed by CNN as 270) might have more to do with the end of his Navy career than being fired by the LAPD?
From what I understand he was let go three years ago, have you come across any pics of him back then? Maybe he bulked up over the past few years (yeah, really bulked up). IDK.

feedthedog wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that the Navy (outside of specops) taught a lot about how to wage a successful guerrilla war. I guess we can be thankful that this guy isn't a Soldier or Marine. It could have been a really bad situation if this guy was a sapper or EOD.
The local news (I live about an hour and a half north of LA) was indicating that he had certifications in anti-terrorism and anti-insurgency. They didn't say why or what job provided the training (military or LE) but it looks like he picked up a lot of peripheral skills. Crazy fuck...

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:32 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Allow me to rephrase: if his grievances aren't merely figments of his mental illness, and he's simply cracked under the persecution.

Not suited to be a cop, definitely not suited to be a Naval Officer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 pm

Spanning, I read in one source that he officially separated earlier this week. That might be wrong, of course.

As for his training...yeah. I've got "certifications" and training in all kinds of things. I was an active duty Marine for six years. I am completely unqualified to wage asymmetrical urban warfare. This guy's qualifications appear to me to be vastly exaggerated.

He's a freaking Navy Reservist with one deployment...to fucking Bahrain. Guarding an oil rig. No combat.

Dangerous? Sure, lots of people are. Any kind of high speed operator? Not even close.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Yeah but keep in mind how big a step just basic training gives over people that have never trained. Im sure that we have members here that even though they are not "OPERATORS" could reign serious destruction down if they so chose.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Well, he's not facing untrained people though. He claims to be going after LAPD specifically and law enforcement generally.

How many of LAPD's 10,000 officers are veterans? How many came out of legitimate, no-shit combat units, unlike this guy? How many other law enforcement officers in SoCal?

Like I said, he's dangerous. More dangerous than any other psycho determined to hurt people? Probably not, in my opinion.

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 pm

At least he is a gun wielding bad guy and not a bomb wielding bad guy.

Eric Robert Rudolph did a lot of damage before that cop caught him eating out of a dumpster.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”