Hurricane Sandy - the next "perfect storm"?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Hurricane Sandy - the next "perfect storm"?

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Hurricane preps? Beer, and lots of it.
1. Beer
"Buy a lot of it," says Trey Click, a magazine publisher who rode out last year's Hurricane Ike in Galveston, Texas. "It's one of the only things you can use for money in the aftermath." Need your neighbor to help you clear trees out of your yard? A case of Bud is a better motivator than a $20 bill when all the stores are boarded up.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoor ... ar/4331516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4. Glow Bracelets
When the electricity is out, you may not feel like celebrating, but these party favors can come in handy. "Houses get dark really quickly with no power," says Mark Vorderbruggen, who went five days without electricity after Ike hit Texas. "I used them to mark the location of radios, flashlights, batteries and door handles."
Hey, I know that guy!
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:19 pm

I used to put the glow necklaces on the kids so I could find them in the dark. Worked well during camp outs and such.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:33 pm

I live in upper NYS we'll still get some wind and rain Bought 15 gallons of gas checked the generator all set, Got more Coleman fuel, checked the stove and were ready to go. Good Luck to everyone in the storms eye.

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Remember to catch up on laundry and dishes and any other washing before the storm arrives. Even if you still have water, the appliances that make these jobs easier won't be working if the power goes out.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:44 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
60Mph winds and 10" of rain shouldn't be too giant a mess. The surge will be a major problem if you are on the coast or along a river near the coast.
10" of rain will cause major problems. Flash flooding, washed out roads (and stupid people who drive through them and need to be rescued), and possibly threaten 3 Mile Island. Plus if the rain turns to snow, it's 1" rain = 10" heavy snow = 12" powdered snow.

60MPH winds, I know that's going to cause havoc. My mom had power outages at her place last year due to trees falling on power lines without 60MPH winds. I'm guessing her place will be without power for a week. Luckily she bought a generator last year for the house.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Airballrad's good reminder to get caught up on laundry/dishes reminded me of an old checklist. Since this could be a "winter storm" event for those on the southwest side of Sandy, I figure I might as well bump it:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... &p=1232131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:37 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:
60Mph winds and 10" of rain shouldn't be too giant a mess. The surge will be a major problem if you are on the coast or along a river near the coast.
10" of rain will cause major problems. Flash flooding, washed out roads (and stupid people who drive through them and need to be rescued), and possibly threaten 3 Mile Island. Plus if the rain turns to snow, it's 1" rain = 10" heavy snow = 12" powdered snow.

60MPH winds, I know that's going to cause havoc. My mom had power outages at her place last year due to trees falling on power lines without 60MPH winds. I'm guessing her place will be without power for a week. Luckily she bought a generator last year for the house.
I guess it depends on your infrastructure. Most areas on the Gulf Coast get that much a couple times a year, but the storm drainage is also ready for it.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Be ready...
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:03 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:I guess it depends on your infrastructure. Most areas on the Gulf Coast get that much a couple times a year, but the storm drainage is also ready for it.
More than just a difference in infrastructure. :)

Have long been a follower of the weather forums at Storm2K ( http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

And over time it's amusingly clear that many folks in the northeast of the US just don't see "big" weather as Gulf folks do, even when they're all looking at the same storm. Not necessarily right or wrong, different frames of reference, I guess.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:18 pm

FanaticalModerate wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:I guess it depends on your infrastructure. Most areas on the Gulf Coast get that much a couple times a year, but the storm drainage is also ready for it.
More than just a difference in infrastructure. :)

Have long been a follower of the weather forums at Storm2K ( http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

And over time it's amusingly clear that many folks in the northeast of the US just don't see "big" weather as Gulf folks do, even when they're all looking at the same storm. Not necessarily right or wrong, different frames of reference, I guess.
Yup. Where I grew up there's the Appalachians. Just the pure erosion factor of water coming down 300+ feet of foothills. Most of the hurricane prone areas are flat coastal areas. I'm not saying the south doesn't have the App. Mtns., they are just closer to the coast in the north as can be seen on this map:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Appal ... orMap2.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:20 pm

FanaticalModerate wrote: And over time it's amusingly clear that many folks in the northeast of the US just don't see "big" weather as Gulf folks do, even when they're all looking at the same storm. Not necessarily right or wrong, different frames of reference, I guess.
Yeah, we in the northeast are amusing in our way of dealing with such pathetically insignificant weather compared to the gulf coast. All we have to deal with are blizzards, ice storms and when the power does go out literally life-threatening temperatures. Inconsequential stuff like exposure and hypothermia. We just don't "get" big weather.

And we only have to deal with treacherous driving conditions like black ice and hoar frost and whiteouts that claim the lives of literally scores of drivers every year. Oh, and we didn't have an earthquake on 10/16/12 either.

It's really quite amusing how we northerners complain about "big" weather.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:33 pm

majorhavoc wrote: It's really quite amusing how we northerners complain about "big" weather.
Yea, having your roof thrown off and floating down the street is small. I'd rather have a blizzard than a hurricane. I've lived in both areas and a blizzard is much easier to prepare for. You just can't prepare for sitting in your living room and rain falling down on you/ It's not like I can pack a spare roof. If you lose power in the north you can use space heaters that run on kerosene (which I've done), candles, and a generator. The biggest fear is pipes freezing if you lose power or excessive snow on the roof which may collapse them but I think I only heard of 1 in 30 years where I lived.. We also had a coal stove which could put out tons of heat.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:40 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
majorhavoc wrote: It's really quite amusing how we northerners complain about "big" weather.
Yea, having your roof thrown off and floating down the street is small. I'd rather have a blizzard than a hurricane. I've lived in both areas and a blizzard is much easier to prepare for. You just can't prepare for sitting in your living room and rain falling down on you/ It's not like I can pack a spare roof. If you lose power in the north you can use space heaters that run on kerosene (which I've done), candles, and a generator. The biggest fear is pipes freezing if you lose power or excessive snow on the roof which may collapse them but I think I only heard of 1 in 30 years where I lived.. We also had a coal stove which could put out tons of heat.

Please show me where I ever even intimated that weather concerns in the south were "small".

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:48 pm

majorhavoc wrote: Please show me where I ever even intimated that weather concerns in the south were "small".
No, you said the north had big weather too. So i'm saying: hurricanes > blizzard .... 9/10.

Worse is tornadoes. Limited warning and your house may have a new zip code when it's over.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:54 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
majorhavoc wrote: Please show me where I ever even intimated that weather concerns in the south were "small".
No, you said the north had big weather too. So i'm saying: hurricanes > blizzard .... 9/10.

Worse is tornadoes. Limited warning and your house may have a new zip code when it's over.
Good lord, are your really trying to have this argument? I was responding to someone who poo-pooed the build up to a storm that could cause real damage and real loss of life to people in the northeast. Why on earth are you trying to make this a pissing match about who gets worse weather? It's like if I publicly chided southern drivers for freaking out when a quarter of an inch of snow falls on the ground. If people don't know how to handle it and are getting into accidents and are getting killed, it's a disaster. Period.

What is your glitch, man?

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Evil Dead, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by rhi » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:19 pm

On a more constructive note...

Here's a link that shows the current and expected flood states for coastal areas from OC, MD up to Rhode Island along with several inland rivers in the same area:

http://hudson.dl.stevens-tech.edu/SSWS/

We also have a thread up over in the Chapter 21 forum for SEPA/SNJ/NDE folks to discuss items of local interest that aren't necessarily relevant to the board at large. If you're not a member of that forum, just request it and we'll get you squared away.
Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:50 am

I'm amazed by what petty things people on ZS will squabble over: AR vs AK, Wool blankets vs Sleeping bags

And now it's trying to squabble about blizzard vs hurricanes.
:roll:

Knock it off.
Man is a beast of prey

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:17 am

the_alias wrote:I'm amazed by what petty things people on ZS will squabble over: AR vs AK, Wool blankets vs Sleeping bags

And now it's trying to squabble about blizzard vs hurricanes.
:roll:

Knock it off.

Besides, everyone and their mother knows that TSUNAMIS pwn the shit outta every other disaster. Hawai`i just evacuated every shoreline in prep for a giant 17" surge coming in. ;)

Reminder, because a friend of ours in Penn didn't know: flush and fill your toilets beforehand.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:24 am

It's just not like England, where even the weather is polite.

I see that Sandy's now tied with Igor for the biggest TS wind-field on record. The fast-wind core ain't much, but she's ludicrously big and very wet. And all the models show an intensification phase before landfall, because this is Halloween, you gotta buff your monsters. :D

Why *do* Americans have their electric power on overhead lines?
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

m ellis allen

Post by m ellis allen » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:26 am

andygates wrote: Why *do* Americans have their electric power on overhead lines?
because the squirrrels and birds need a place to rest

seriously though, i dont know the reasoon why, im guessing its price per foot of initial setup cost. its always seemed dumb to me though, evendumber when storms like this come around
zombies are notoriously bad drivers
lunicy wrote:Mosins doesn't have Kool aid. It would have to be vodka and coffee,mixed with cosmoline, made with mud, in a hat. Mosins are too rough for kool aid.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:06 am

andygates wrote:It's just not like England, where even the weather is polite.

I see that Sandy's now tied with Igor for the biggest TS wind-field on record. The fast-wind core ain't much, but she's ludicrously big and very wet. And all the models show an intensification phase before landfall, because this is Halloween, you gotta buff your monsters. :D

Why *do* Americans have their electric power on overhead lines?
Tyranny of distance?

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:18 am

Blacksmith wrote:
74 or more wrote:Just picked up some more lamp oil. They had the big jugs of it for cheep at Michaels. I also got 2 cases of water for $3 each. Oddly enough the grocery stores aren't mobbed here yet.

How much is the lamp oil?

They had 2 of the bigger sizes wrapped together for $3 or $4. It seem like an "over stock" sale not sure if it would be at all of their stores.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

raxar

Post by raxar » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:19 am

Valarius wrote:
Reminder, because a friend of ours in Penn didn't know: flush and fill your toilets beforehand.

So I'm supposed to stock up on Tacobell?
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

Pomegrante

Post by Pomegrante » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:38 am

I'm ready! Really didn't have too much to do since we already prep. I do appreciate the board game suggestion! We got a few things to do for us and the kids if we are out of power for a while. Also I. found a nice app that was good for checklists. It's the red cross hurricane app. It'll also turn your phone into a flashlight and send a one touch I'm safe message to your contacts or fb etc.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”