Society, Science, Survival: Lessons from The Walking Dead

Useful links. If you want to pimp a site related to the forum discussions do it here.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Society, Science, Survival: Lessons from The Walking Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Intriguing. I'm very tempted to enroll in this course. Not so much for any practical, applied learning, but because it sounds like a hoot. :awesome:

Society, Science, Survival: Lessons from AMC’s The Walking Dead, University of California, Irvine

Oct 14, 2013 to Dec 20, 2013
Cost per enrollment: FREE

https://www.canvas.net/courses/the-walking-dead

Course description:
From understanding social identities to modeling the spread of disease, this eight-week course will span key science and survival themes using AMC’s The Walking Dead as its basis. Four faculty members from the University of California, Irvine will take you on an inter-disciplinary academic journey deep into the world of AMC’s The Walking Dead, exploring the following topics:

* Maslow’s hierarchy of needs—is survival just about being alive?
* Social order and structures—from the farm and the prison to Woodbury
* Social identity, roles, and stereotyping—as shown through leaders like Rick and the Governor
* The role of public health in society—from the CDC to local community organizations
* The spread of infectious disease and population modeling—swarm!
* The role of energy and momentum in damage control—how can you best protect yourself?
* Nutrition in a post-apocalyptic world—are squirrels really good for you?
* Managing stress in disaster situations—what’s the long-term effect of always sleeping with one eye open?

Each week we’ll watch engaging lectures, listen to expert interviews, watch exclusive interviews with cast members talking about their characters, use key scenes from the show to illustrate course learning, read interesting articles, review academic resources, participate in large and small group discussions, and—of course—test our learning with quizzes. We recommend that you plan on spending about two (2) to four (4) hours per week on this course, though we believe the course is compelling enough you’ll want to spend more time.

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Re: Society, Science, Survival: Lessons from The Walking Dea

Post by carolinafan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:24 pm

I think I'm gonna join a couple of my friends and sign up.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Awesome, walking dead 101.

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm retired.

I like zombie films/books.

Not crazy about "walking dead", but ok...

I've clicked for this no cost "class". Might be fun just to have a certificate...

:)

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:00 pm

So you are going to pay someone to lecture about the Walking Dead?

I am not sure if I should be appalled or jealous i didn't think of it first. :clownshoes:
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Murphman wrote:So you are going to pay someone to lecture about the Walking Dead?

I am not sure if I should be appalled or jealous i didn't think of it first. :clownshoes:
You missed the "FREE" part.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:20 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Murphman wrote:So you are going to pay someone to lecture about the Walking Dead?

You missed the "FREE" part.
So I still have a shot to make money doing it? Sweet.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Return to “Links”