Limb Removal

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Limb Removal

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:47 pm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2087281_cauterize-wound.html

Yay, not only did you bleed out excessively while trying to cauterize the wound, you are now weak from shock, blood loss, have gunpowder poisoning your blood, have to deal with extreme burns, and the virus that may or may not have infected you, plus gangrene, and now two people have to carry you back, leaving one to fend off the zombie horde.

Nicely done!
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Doc Torr wrote:http://www.ehow.com/how_2087281_cauterize-wound.html

Yay, not only did you bleed out excessively while trying to cauterize the wound, you are now weak from shock, blood loss, have gunpowder poisoning your blood, have to deal with extreme burns, and the virus that may or may not have infected you, plus gangrene, and now two people have to carry you back, leaving one to fend off the zombie horde.

Nicely done!
ROTFLMMFAO!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Awesome thread, in before the... you know what.

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:07 pm

Re the gunpowder, Dave Canterbury did it on Dual Survival, and had to use heaps because too much was getting wet, and it looked painful as hell and I think it was getting infected after a day or two of having a big-ass burn on your arm in a non-sterile environment would most likely do.
Yay for septic blood.

I suppose if you were really keen to shoot your own arm off go for gold, but blood does travel quite fast in actuality. A few metres per second from memory(2? CBF googling haha). Wouldn't it be better to man up and help the rest of your team get out of the apparently shitty situation you're all in?

I'm sure if I was in a firefight(non military, never have been so just speculation) and my friend put a shotgun to his arm and blew it off I would stand there very VERY confused for a short period of time, which would probably get me eaten haha.

Cheers,
Sean.
I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it!

ThePhuckStopsHere
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Post by ThePhuckStopsHere » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Jesus , just running ideas out there . Maybe a wadd of steel wool and a battery , that will produce a fast hot controllable burn , Maybe just a good dose of rubbing alcohol followed up by some bactein .
Individual tolerances vary for pain threshold and shock per individual .
If it was instead of a gaping chunk of flesh missing and more simply a dermal or sub dermal scratch the fast cauterization will kill some surrounding tissue , but it may kill the virus and save your life , also being familiar with signs of shock and how to treat it will better your chances .

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Since we're talking about limb removal specifically to avoid zombie infection, i'm moving this thread to zombie biology. That should stop the dogpile.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:48 pm

ThePhuckStopsHere wrote:Jesus , just running ideas out there . Maybe a wadd of steel wool and a battery , that will produce a fast hot controllable burn , Maybe just a good dose of rubbing alcohol followed up by some bactein .
If it was instead of a gaping chunk of flesh missing and more simply a dermal or sub dermal scratch the fast cauterization will kill some surrounding tissue , but it may kill the virus and save your life , also being familiar with signs of shock and how to treat it will better your chances .
Welcome to a forum full of people who know a LOT about a LOT of things. Throwing out ideas is fine, but expect for them to be grounded by people who know wtf they're talking about.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Since we're talking about limb removal specifically to avoid zombie infection, i'm moving this thread to zombie biology. That should stop the dogpile.
No, hes in time-out now. This is the only place he can post.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:51 pm

ThePhuckStopsHere wrote:Jesus , just running ideas out there . Maybe a wadd of steel wool and a battery , that will produce a fast hot controllable burn , Maybe just a good dose of rubbing alcohol followed up by some bactein .

MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

AUA

Post by AUA » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:24 pm

Gambino wrote:
fourway wrote:
Gambino wrote:You are bitten by a zombie. You immediately remove the limb bitten. Do you still turn undead? Or will it sustain your life?

I think there would need to be precedent in a movie for this to be viable.
Shotgun limb amputation without awesome medical backup standing by seconds away is pretty much a nonstarter in the staying alive department anyway.
Thinking pure realistically, given the fantasy circumstances, not from a movie. If a virus was transmitted from saliva to blood, and vice versa, theoretically if we remove the virus spreading to the rest of the body by means of limb removal, we would essentially isolate the virus to the removed limb. In return, saving our lives.

Survival this extreme is a longshot to begin with, but given the situation, I'm already about to be a zombie, so I'm dead already. Blowing a limb off would either be pointless or lifesaving. I'm dead if I don't - 100%, but if I do remove a limb, I have less than a 100% chance at dying. Which is better.

Historically speaking, I wouldn't need "awesome" medical personnel standing by. Given one particular instance, the man who fell while rock climbing and a boulder fell on his arm, pinning him into a crevice deep in the mountains. He removed his arm with a 4 inch Swiss Army knife.

Just because, let's take a moment to reflect. This mans arm would cause him to die. With absolutely zero pain medication, he used a 4 inch blade to cut through his skin, tendons, muscle, fat, arteries, veins, etc... When he got to the bone, the knife wasn't cutting fast enough, so he put his knife into his pocket, broke his arm, and cut through the splintered fragments. With nothing but will power. If that doesn't scream 'badass' I don't know what does. He survived with no medical team for miles around.

So it's not impossible.
It's also not typical.

Considering the fact that the OP shot the offending zombie at point-blank (close enough to press the barrel against its temple) with a shotgun, any attempt at limb removal is going to be moot anyway.

And as mentioned earlier, if the blade is already contaminated, it would again be moot. A machete would probably be the cleanest way to sever a limb/extremity, but I can't see a survivor of a zombie apocalypse carrying two machetes (or only one, for utility purposes only). If you had a machete, it'd most likely be used for precision brain-dicing, thus leaving you with only the '128 Hours' approach with a survival knife.

nursemedic

Post by nursemedic » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:25 am

I weighed the negatives of continuing this thread against my joy in sharing knowledge and decided to post anyway...

Plain sugar can be used to induce clotting, but hurts like hell and is probably out of the scope of having your whole arm blasted off.

If you happened to have an EXTREMELY well stocked first aid kit, you might have something like QuikClot, which is a kaolin-impregnated gauze dressing designed for military and EMS use if your shotgun wound came from a more... real-world scenario. There's other similar products, like one which uses chitin from shellfish--not advised if you have a shellfish allergy, and certainly not practical in this scenario: when you're actively hemorrhaging AND fighting the undead, capturing shellfish and making powder from their shells is a bit out of your reach.

Overall, based on what I know of anatomy, physiology, and infectious diseases, as far as I'm concerned, bitten is bitten (and needle-stuck is needle-stuck, for that matter), you're either going to live or die, and self-amputating a limb (or digit) is only going to increase your odds of heading through door #2.

Nursemedic, out.
I wish I was a cross between Tony Stark, Michael Westen, Fred Bear, and Davy Crockett. Instead, I'm more of a cross between Chris Farley, Red Green, and Florence Nightingale.

NIMS IS-700.A, IS-100.HCb, IS-200.HCa
Paramedic, State of Michigan
Registered Nurse, State of Michigan, State of Colorado

Return to “Zombie Biology”