Limb Removal

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gambino

Limb Removal

Post by Gambino » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:01 am

Last edited by Gambino on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete!!!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Limb Removal

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 am

See rule one. "Scavenging for food" i.e. taking food that you do not own without payment=stealing.
Last edited by Doctorr Fabulous on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:41 am

So... wait. Is this a "What would I do if I knew you had been bitten" scenario?

Because that's easy, you wouldn't have woken up in the first place.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:23 am

Looting abandoned shops is an illegal activity. Verboten discussion on the forum - but as that isn't the crux of the topic the thread is ok.

Scavenging actually usually refers to taking things from waste - discarded items. One scavenges from the trash or scavenges an abandoned object. It isn't automatically an illegal act to engage in.

Anyhow I'm also not clear what the question really is but if I lost a limb I would try to fashion some kind of prosthetic limb.
Man is a beast of prey

Gambino

Post by Gambino » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:42 am

Last edited by Gambino on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete my account. Delete!!!

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:05 am

You still turn.

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:25 am

Limb removal?

A good chainsaw and a ladder will take care of most unwanted limbs. If its in the top of the tree get a professional tree service to take care of the problem.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

fourway
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?

Post by fourway » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:45 am

Gambino wrote:You are bitten by a zombie. You immediately remove the limb bitten. Do you still turn undead? Or will it sustain your life?

I think there would need to be precedent in a movie for this to be viable.
Shotgun limb amputation without awesome medical backup standing by seconds away is pretty much a nonstarter in the staying alive department anyway.
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

Gambino

Post by Gambino » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:45 am

Last edited by Gambino on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:50 am

Gambino wrote:
fourway wrote:
Gambino wrote:You are bitten by a zombie. You immediately remove the limb bitten. Do you still turn undead? Or will it sustain your life?

I think there would need to be precedent in a movie for this to be viable.
Shotgun limb amputation without awesome medical backup standing by seconds away is pretty much a nonstarter in the staying alive department anyway.
Thinking pure realistically, given the fantasy circumstances, not from a movie. If a virus was transmitted from saliva to blood, and vice versa, theoretically if we remove the virus spreading to the rest of the body by means of limb removal, we would essentially isolate the virus to the removed limb. In return, saving our lives.

Survival this extreme is a longshot to begin with, but given the situation, I'm already about to be a zombie, so I'm dead already. Blowing a limb off would either be pointless or lifesaving. I'm dead if I don't - 100%, but if I do remove a limb, I have less than a 100% chance at dying. Which is better.

Historically speaking, I wouldn't need "awesome" medical personnel standing by. Given one particular instance, the man who fell while rock climbing and a boulder fell on his arm, pinning him into a crevice deep in the mountains. He removed his arm with a 4 inch Swiss Army knife.

Just because, let's take a moment to reflect. This mans arm would cause him to die. With absolutely zero pain medication, he used a 4 inch blade to cut through his skin, tendons, muscle, fat, arteries, veins, etc... When he got to the bone, the knife wasn't cutting fast enough, so he put his knife into his pocket, broke his arm, and cut through the splintered fragments. With nothing but will power. If that doesn't scream 'badass' I don't know what does. He survived with no medical team for miles around.

So it's not impossible.

You realize that once you have a virus transmitted by anything, within half a second the rest of you is infected, right?

The whole idea of "beating the infection to the rest of the body" is a false movie magic thing, not reality.
ZombieSquad Reservist

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:59 am

Braxton wrote:Limb removal?

A good chainsaw and a ladder will take care of most unwanted limbs. If its in the top of the tree get a professional tree service to take care of the problem.
Kershaw Klipper 55-3 FTW!!!
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 pm

elricfate wrote:
You realize that once you have a virus transmitted by anything, within half a second the rest of you is infected, right?

The whole idea of "beating the infection to the rest of the body" is a false movie magic thing, not reality.

Within a half a second? By what means? Blood flows at a certain speed... I don't think it is as fast as- back to the trunk in less than a half second, from an extremity... And I am very sure the blood flowing through the smallest vessels flows pretty damn slow.

So if you are bit on an extremity, and the bit doesn't get to a major vessel... just a surface wound (capillaries, etc.) you should have time to cut off the limb... But as others have said, you will probably bleed out, and if not that, then get some other infection since it is the paw and all :lol:

Grey Mann

Post by Grey Mann » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:20 pm

I would say that your death would be an excellent reminder to your group to not *actively* go looking for trouble. Maybe you would get a pretty headstone.
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
Do not go gentle.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:26 pm

maldon007 wrote:
elricfate wrote:

Within a half a second? By what means? Blood flows at a certain speed... I don't think it is as fast as- back to the trunk in less than a half second, from an extremity... And I am very sure the blood flowing through the smallest vessels flows pretty damn slow.

So if you are bit on an extremity, and the bit doesn't get to a major vessel... just a surface wound (capillaries, etc.) you should have time to cut off the limb... But as others have said, you will probably bleed out, and if not that, then get some other infection since it is the paw and all :lol:
Since he said "limb removal", I was under the assumption that it was either a major vessel or artery and not just "oh look, he broke the skin"
ZombieSquad Reservist

ScottAW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, dead alive

Limb Removal

Post by ScottAW » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:14 pm

I'm giving you 50/50. You'll have a very high heart rate in that scenario, but it bit your wrist, an extremity, and with blood spurting out, not as much going back up...it sounds logical that if you caught it quick enough it could work. It would suck, but maybe.

ThePhuckStopsHere
Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Post by ThePhuckStopsHere » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:39 pm

I have a couple things to say about this :
A police officer friend of mine faced a situation during a drug house raid where a cracked out hooker came at him from his right side blind spot and stabbed at him with a hyperdermic needle , he's left handed and the needle pierced his no ex glove and dug deep into his pinky finger , in what he describes as occurred in less than 10 seconds he gave her 2 shots center mass , pulled off his glove and with his Tanto knife ( which is sharp enough to split atoms ) removed his pinky finger at the middle knuckle . Testing of the dead woman , the needle , his severed finger all tested positive for HIV and Hepatitis , his blood tests have come back clean with no signs of infection .
He told me his doctor said because the blood moves at a slower rate to fingers and toes it gave him enough time for what he did to work . Now if it's an arm or leg? Probably not gonna be the case .

The other thing is :
Scavenging , there isn't one swinging dick on this forum or in the world for that matter that won't be going through stores , and houses/apartments in the worst case scenario of the ZPAW . Everyone is going to do what they HAVE to do to survive and that's the bottom line .

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:55 pm

ThePhuckStopsHere wrote:I have a couple things to say about this :
A police officer friend of mine faced a situation during a drug house raid where a cracked out hooker came at him from his right side blind spot and stabbed at him with a hyperdermic needle , he's left handed and the needle pierced his no ex glove and dug deep into his pinky finger , in what he describes as occurred in less than 10 seconds he gave her 2 shots center mass , pulled off his glove and with his Tanto knife ( which is sharp enough to split atoms ) removed his pinky finger at the middle knuckle . Testing of the dead woman , the needle , his severed finger all tested positive for HIV and Hepatitis , his blood tests have come back clean with no signs of infection .
He told me his doctor said because the blood moves at a slower rate to fingers and toes it gave him enough time for what he did to work . Now if it's an arm or leg? Probably not gonna be the case .

The other thing is :
Scavenging , there isn't one swinging dick on this forum or in the world for that matter that won't be going through stores , and houses/apartments in the worst case scenario of the ZPAW . Everyone is going to do what they HAVE to do to survive and that's the bottom line .
Cool story, bro
Last edited by elricfate on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZombieSquad Reservist

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:57 pm

People have amputated limbs before in emergencies and lived, that said they lived most of the time because help arrived. Also they cut the limb off, I have a inclination that if you shot it of with a shotgun the trauma, shock would likely do you in faster than blood loss. As to your scenario, there was spraying blood, that is not a broke the skin but an artery. Blood travels around 3 feet a second, if you have ever had an radiated injection at a hospital you would know there is no time to act, by the time the thought is formulated it's to late. Now if it bites your finger off and you already had that solution in your mind you may have time to hack your hand off and perhaps do it in time, but your buddies would probably still keep you tethered for a while to see.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:04 pm

ThePhuckStopsHere wrote:I have a couple things to say about this :

Wow. That's really a great story. So much so that I think it would have been all over the news. Do you have a link? I'm sure you can back you story up when it's that amazing!

Also: discussion of illegal activities including looting and "scavenging" are not tolerated here. I don't give a shit what you think will happen after the PAW. You are well within your rights to believe what you like, but you're not in your rights to talk about it here. Consider this a warning.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

ThePhuckStopsHere

Post by ThePhuckStopsHere » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:10 pm

The incident happened to my friend almost 10 years ago , so if it's even in a news story somewhere buried in the archives of the Internet , feel free to " scavenge " for it .

So instead of scavenging from now on , I'm going to use the term " Salvaging " . It's way more Nautical too ....

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:16 pm

Chainsaw hand.
Shop smart. Shop S-mart.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Grey Mann

Post by Grey Mann » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:16 pm

Or you could....not mention things that are grey area at best? You know, in the spirit of the entire forum? Just saying. :?
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
Do not go gentle.

ThePhuckStopsHere

Post by ThePhuckStopsHere » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Well , I suppose I can do that . Fair enough . I've been a bit of a pain in the ass and I admit that .
From now on I won't mention the whole " salvage " thing anymore . I'll continue to use poor grammar and choppy sentences cause that's how I roll . And BTW anyone need Zombie Insurance? Check the links section ....

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:30 pm

ThePhuckStopsHere wrote:The incident happened to my friend almost 10 years ago , so if it's even in a news story somewhere buried in the archives of the Internet , feel free to " scavenge " for it .

So instead of scavenging from now on , I'm going to use the term " Salvaging " . It's way more Nautical too ....
Maybe this isn't the forum for you, kid. You seem to not understand the whole mission of ZS which is PERSONAL, and LOGICAL preparedness. Planning on stealing if something bad happens is not preparedness.

Maybe check this place out? http://www.surfingtheapocalypse.net/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ThePhuckStopsHere wrote: I'll continue to use poor grammar and choppy sentences cause that's how I troll .
FTFY.

Return to “Zombie Biology”