How many of you actually?

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Re: How many of you actually?

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:37 am

AZMedic wrote:I combat zombies at work its called dementia and psych.....
Don't forget the Tweakers looking for a fix.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:56 am

Malthus wrote:As has been stated. Zombies are a metaphor for a breakdown of society and rule of law. That said, rage type zombies would be possible, not likely mind you, but possible. Classical "raised from the dead" zombies on the other hand; no. (unless you’re talking supernatural forces, then all bets are off :))
The newer trend in zombies is to have a scientific source, a virus or bacterium. This has many problems. First off, asking a microbiological pathogen to (1) first kill a subject (2) reanimate a subject (3) be able to animate and coordinate bodily functions (Muscle movement, balance, sight, hearing, rudimentary cognitive abilities, etc); is just asking too much of any bacteria or virus. And even if you accept the possibility that such a thing was possible, there is an inherent flaw in the theory.
A dead body, by definition, does not process oxygen. This would cause a breakdown in the Krebs cycle. This is the process by which our bodies create Adenosine-Triphosphate (the muscle activation chemical) and remove Lactic acid (the waste element from this operation). No Kebs cycle, no new Adenosine-Triphosphate. So the body would only be able to access the stored chemical that was in the body at time of death. Without blood flow, and an aerobic process; within probably 15-20 minutes (at best) any zombie would be immobilized, and could only look at you menacingly and think nasty thoughts. :)
Great first post guy! 8)

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

JojoZS
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by JojoZS » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:26 am

I see zombies everyday,
Drunks, dopers, idiots, all doing zombie things, staggering into my yard, walking out in front of cars, not using the brain that's currently in their own head.

I see these zombies, I don't even want to believe they could infect me to be one of them by just spitting on me!
So, no to movie zombies.
You got red on you.

lunchy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (orig)

Post by lunchy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:49 am

There are drugs to numb all pain, drugs to turn you psychotic (or as we commonly call it- "Stella Artois, s'il vous plait...), drugs to increase appetite, drugs to increase adrenaline, etc..

Who's to say you can't put these all in one happy little cloud and spray the crap out of the neighbouring country with it? 8)
Keep yapping, li'l doggy...

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:53 am

I don't believe in the POSSIBILITY of any kind of zombie that's been expressed in media so far.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy shooting one if it crossed my path.

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Post by thefirebuilds » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:15 pm

last night it snowed and snowed and snowed. I had to take the truck out to meet a person at my shop around 8, there were literally hordes of people shambling across the streets in dark clothing. None in a hurry. It was seriously creepy.

and here's a friendly tip to my brothers and sisters of a deeper hue... if your face doesn't reflect light how about you wear a jacket that does. Some of ya'll are gonna get runned over.
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:28 pm

thefirebuilds wrote:and here's a friendly tip to my brothers and sisters of a deeper hue... if your face doesn't reflect light how about you wear a jacket that does. Some of ya'll are gonna get runned over.
This is good advice for people of any skin tone, really. Reflective outerwear is a good idea. (Not that I practice what I preach. I assume that cars are trying to kill me, and that being more visible only makes their job easier.)

On topic: I think that society at large, and this forum as well, has a general "zombies don't exist" bias. Therefore, if something is real, we will call it something other than a zombie.

If 28 Days Later really happened, we'd say, "Those aren't zombies, they just have a rabies-like disease."

If NOTLD really happened, we'd say, "There's got to be a logical explanation..." until we came up with a name other than "zombie" for what it was.

Except for a few noobs who would say "OMG ZEDS!!!"

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Post by thefirebuilds » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:50 pm

reification is easy. I like to label things that dont think as zombies. Even if someone isn't necessarily "retarded" we apply that label with fluidity.
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

JojoZS
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by JojoZS » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:37 pm

thefirebuilds wrote:
and here's a friendly tip to my brothers and sisters of a deeper hue... if your face doesn't reflect light how about you wear a jacket that does. Some of ya'll are gonna get runned over.

Black is the color of choice around here, when at night, dress in black pants and a black shirt then walk or ride your bike ON the road. I'm not sure if it's some sort of a suicide mission, or just the "I do I want" mentality. Driving at night is dangerous here, you have to constantly look out for them and don't follow other cars too closely for they may slam on their brakes at any moment.

They have been hit in the past, they will continue to get hit.
You got red on you.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:40 pm

JojoZS wrote:
thefirebuilds wrote:

Black is the color of choice around here, when at night, dress in black pants and a black shirt then walk or ride your bike ON the road. I'm not sure if it's some sort of a suicide mission, or just the "I do I want" mentality. Driving at night is dangerous here, you have to constantly look out for them and don't follow other cars too closely for they may slam on their brakes at any moment.

They have been hit in the past, they will continue to get hit.
Ideally, a cyclist should have a blinking red light on the rear, and a solid white light at the front. I have a blinking red light on my bike, plus a white light on the front and a red light on the rear of my helmet. This is so people see you (because you're illuminated) and know which way you're going (like a car, white = front and red = rear). I don't know if this is true in all areas but everywhere I've checked, this is required by law and you can be pulled over and ticketed if you don't have these lights installed.

On foot, well, I'm guilty of wearing all black and walking around, but I do remain alert for cars and stay out of the damned road unless I'm in a crosswalk.

Dead Zed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series
28 Days/ 28 weeks later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Dead Zed » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Finch wrote:
FanaticalModerate wrote:No.
But it's a pleasant mental challenge for my inner mall-ninja.
I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work
^that^

No I don't believe in zombies.
I do believe that bad things happen.
Luck favors the prepared.

Being a prepper I've helped lots of people in lots of situations simply because I carry stuff with me that most people don't.
T.E. Lawrence wrote:All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Lucas_061287
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Diaries, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later/Weeks Later (not really zombies).

Post by Lucas_061287 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:24 pm

Honestly, I believe that there will be a virus/bacteria/disease that will cause some sort of "zombie". Hopefully it will be legal to shoot them because I really am looking forward to the zombie apocalypse.
To lead and to fulfill the plebeians' desires, to corrupt and subvert. I need but to despise the very substance of truth and define what is right.

therianthrope
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Cemetery Man, Evil Dead

Post by therianthrope » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 am

For all the nay-sayers out there, a little food for thought.

Cordyceps unilateralis - the Zombie-Ant Fungus
http://www.livescience.com/animals/0908 ... ungus.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOQ0VU24xw

Certainly this is a far cry from brain-hungry, aggro-dead. But the natural world is capable of truly unbelievable things. And as humans become more and more over-crowded, nature will find new ways to bring balance. Are zombies the most parsimonious answer? Perhaps not, but as we can see, it is not entirely without precedent...

While I don't believe that reanimated corpses are ever going to be reality, the possibility of a mind-altering viral infection is real, especially when things like biological weaponization are considered.

IMHO, of course.

Eisenbart

Post by Eisenbart » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Real Z ?
No way!

Rage Virus?
Veery unlikely,but not entirely imposible!

Preparing for the worst?
Absolutely!

Having fun with weird thought Experiments about Survival and mad Biology?
Priceless!

Edit:Well yea Coryceps or maybe Fasciola Hepatica....
true they change the behaviour of their Hosts or intermediary Hosts(like Ants),but these are Parasite/Host relations
that need maaany Millenia to devellope.
Even the most stupid Human society would do somethingwould react
to a Problem having that much time.

Crap i say
Morituri te salutant!
Eisenbart.

Wolfdude87
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Wolfdude87 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:19 pm

No, but I prep for one because if you're ready for a ZPAW you're probably ready for most kinds of PAW.

Hey, just started a new blog. Updates 3 times a week. I'd love feedback. Plus it should be pretty entertaining.
http://superboxsix.blogspot.com/

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Jeriah wrote:
thefirebuilds wrote:and here's a friendly tip to my brothers and sisters of a deeper hue... if your face doesn't reflect light how about you wear a jacket that does. Some of ya'll are gonna get runned over.
This is good advice for people of any skin tone, really. Reflective outerwear is a good idea. (Not that I practice what I preach. I assume that cars are trying to kill me, and that being more visible only makes their job easier.)

On topic: I think that society at large, and this forum as well, has a general "zombies don't exist" bias. Therefore, if something is real, we will call it something other than a zombie.

If 28 Days Later really happened, we'd say, "Those aren't zombies, they just have a rabies-like disease."

If NOTLD really happened, we'd say, "There's got to be a logical explanation..." until we came up with a name other than "zombie" for what it was.

Except for a few noobs who would say "OMG ZEDS!!!"
If "zombies" did arise, I would think it would most likely happen due to a mutated form of rabies or something similar. Something that would cause people lose inhibition and rational thought while allowing the lower brain to still function relatively as normal but nothing to keep our animalistic nature in check.

It would have to be something that has a high viral efficiency (easy and fast to spread, few early symptoms, etc.) something without a known cure, along with a slow and/or low mortality efficiency (doesn't kill it's host outright) so that it could continue to spread.

It certainly could happen, albeit not very probable. I bet in the past when folks didn't know what rabies was, they probably thought along the lines of the infected individual being demonically possessed, or somewhat "zombie-like". Imagine that in a super-concentrated pandemic form, and you would probably get pretty close to a real life zombie outbreak.

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

SixStringRazor

Post by SixStringRazor » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:01 am

Ryanlos wrote: 1: Its usually an infection, dont get bit.
2: Aim for the head
3: Once they go down as a human, they come back zombie.

Yeah, but what if the "real" zombies have to be shot in the groin or something instead of the head. I wonder how long it would take people to figure it out.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:36 am

If there's any way possible for it to be created then you can bet our government is working to bring it to us.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

curry.style

Post by curry.style » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:26 pm

^Agreed.

coyotebc

Post by coyotebc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 pm

0% belief in zombies
100% belief in Santa

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:14 am

What was this thread about again? No.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Urban Core

Post by Urban Core » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:19 am

Dead Zed wrote:
Finch wrote:
FanaticalModerate wrote:No.
But it's a pleasant mental challenge for my inner mall-ninja.
I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work
^that^

No I don't believe in zombies.
I do believe that bad things happen.
Luck favors the prepared.

Being a prepper I've helped lots of people in lots of situations simply because I carry stuff with me that most people don't.

I recall a T-shirt I saw once that said. "The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse would be pretending I am not enjoying myself."

Personally, I would say +1 on the rabies/rage types. It's POSSIBLE, unlikely, but possible.

Hell, who is to say it has not ALREADY happened in some places and we just don't know about it. Gotta love press blackouts.
UrbanCore
"Guns don't kill people. They bring people back to life. As zombies. The *zombies* kill people."
Plannin' Man wrote:
Brash wrote: I'll be making wine. Fruit doesn't fight back. :D
You've obviously never startled a Watermelon.

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:30 pm

I just saw "Quarantine" tonight. I shit my pants, then thought of this thread. This is what I believe any zombie type virus would be like, if any.

valadimir
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil(milla is HOT),dawn of the dead,

Post by valadimir » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:29 am

you figure some country(usa,russia,china)would accidently fabricate something like that...then it would eventually get out...do i belive zombies could become real...no do i belive a goverment would try it Yes

Return to “Zombie Biology”