Define: Zombie

Topics regarding the study of zombie behavior and physiology. Know your enemy.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Psy

Define: Zombie

Post by Psy » Sun May 04, 2008 11:33 am

As the topic says, define it. Is it a reanimated corpse? Is it something that simply wants to feed on human flesh? There's no clear definition for everyone; someone will say that 28 days later had zombies in it while someone else will say they weren't zombies. The definition of "What is a Zombie?" is at stake.

llivne

Post by llivne » Sun May 04, 2008 12:09 pm

a previously human that is now without the abilty of self thought and all he cares about is the basic needs needed to survive

kinda text-bookish but it works
truth matters god doesn't and life sucks ~ house

for the hell of it

shenkhu

Post by shenkhu » Sun May 04, 2008 12:36 pm

i like to define zombies in a large matter, i think my def. would be...

"a living thing that act and react unnormally, probably violently, and is contagious due to the exposure of an "external substance" or another contagious thing"

please excuse my lack of scientific vocabulary :lol:
in the begining, there were man and wolfes, not quite enemies, not quite friends.

Packin' Heat

Post by Packin' Heat » Sun May 04, 2008 10:46 pm

the creatures in 28 days later were Ragers
the creatures in I am Legend were NightSeekers
the creatures in the various Romero films were Zombies

Zombies are reanimated dead be it due to virus, space radiation, alien forces, or voodoo spells. you have to die and then come back to be a Zombie.
Glock 23: Check
Mossberg 590A1 12ga: Check
VEPR AK 7.62x39: Check
Saiga 12: 12g check

Vampire

Post by Vampire » Mon May 05, 2008 7:46 am

A zombie is a creature called zombie. This simple definition can be applied because zombies exist purely in fiction, when the creator of that fiction meant certain creatures to be zombies, then they are.
Seanwins wrote:Zed = Dead stupid thing that wants to bite you a lot.
I hate it when I don't have time to think of a whitty exit line.
Sick sig?

marzpan

Post by marzpan » Mon May 05, 2008 3:48 pm

The first zombies were neuro-chemically impaired people. Just enough toxin was administered to the subjects for the purpose of keeping them permanently incognizant but capable of menial tasks. They were just as much alive as anyone else, even though they were only shadows of who they once were. Because of that, I feel zombies could be living or dead.

Edit: I forgot to add my definition. I like Shenku's definition, but I would replace "react" with "behave" or "behavior." Something like... an organism whose behavior is facilitated and manipulated by a neurochemical affliction. Well, something like that anyway.

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Mon May 05, 2008 5:54 pm

Vampire wrote:A zombie is a creature called zombie. This simple definition can be applied because zombies exist purely in fiction, when the creator of that fiction meant certain creatures to be zombies, then they are.
I definitely agree with your definition, and I think the OP would agree with you as well.

Zombie - A reanimated corpse with severely reduced mental capacity and an instinctual desire to bite the living.

I think those are the unifying characteristics of most of the different versions of horror zombies.

Zed = Dead stupid thing that wants to bite you a lot.

Vampire

Post by Vampire » Tue May 06, 2008 6:06 am

Marzpan wrote:The first zombies were neuro-chemically impaired people. Just enough toxin was administered to the subjects for the purpose of keeping them permanently incognizant but capable of menial tasks. They were just as much alive as anyone else, even though they were only shadows of who they once were. Because of that, I feel zombies could be living or dead.
True, but in the modern (read: horror story) use, I think Seawins definition is a winner:
Therefor it is now sigged.
I hate it when I don't have time to think of a whitty exit line.
Sick sig?

Return to “Zombie Biology”