***ZS Homework*** Build a Fire

Zombie Squad news will be posted here.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

***ZS Homework*** Build a Fire

Post by noncyr » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:08 am

One of the things that will suck about the p.a.w. is the depletion of matches and zippos. At some point, armies of post apocalyptic warriors will fight epic battles over the last match left in the world. Whoever owns that match will be likened unto god.

Unless you want to spend a lifetime polishing the fleshy parts of that guy, you should learn to build a fire without one. In the next seven days, see if you can make a fire without using a match, lighter or other incendiary device.
Blergh

raptorman

Post by raptorman » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:17 am

Magnifying glass works really well.

But I prefer the steel and flint method.

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:31 am

raptorman wrote:Magnifying glass works really well.

But I prefer the steel and flint method.
Yeah I forgot that you do this all the time. For fairness to the other students, you have to start a fire under water. :)
Blergh

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:51 am

Magnesium shavings onto tinder (mine = cotton balls dipped in petroleum jelly). Magnesium blocks are durable, fairly light weight and last a long time. The key is to find the right scraping/striking object to go with it. They can dull knife blades pretty quickly, so don't use your primary knife.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:07 pm

speaking of starting fires, this amazing:
http://www.primitiveways.com/ice-fire.html

I'd prefer the friction style of making a fire. Using flint or a magnifying glass require that you have them. You're probably just as likely to have a few bic lighters on you.

I would hope that we would come up with a better way to make fire before we run out of lighters. Knowing how to make lighter fluid and where to find flint might be good skills to possess. Although, I'll probably die of old age before lighters and matches become extinct.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:10 pm

kyle wrote:speaking of starting fires, this amazing:
http://www.primitiveways.com/ice-fire.html

I'd prefer the friction style of making a fire. Using flint or a magnifying glass require that you have them. You're probably just as likely to have a few bic lighters on you.
Friction is good for a primitive living environment, but in an "on the run" scenario it might not be entirely realistic. While you have to carry a lens or mag block, you also have to find the appropriate materials for friction heating as well. Foraging for the right sized sticks or making a bow is not something I'd relish when I needed a fire quickly, reliablely and without risking exposure. Plus magnesium burns at 5400 degrees, which can ignite wet tinder. But every method has its drawback.

I agree that everyone should be able to make a fire using found materials, but having and knowing how to use various modern firestarters is important as well. The key to survival is redundancy. Friction, lens, matches/lighter, flint, magnesium, fuel tablets- it's best to familiarize yourself with as many different methods as possible so when the time comes and all you've got is frozen pond water...
I would hope that we would come up with a better way to make fire before we run out of lighters. Knowing how to make lighter fluid and where to find flint might be good skills to possess. Although, I'll probably die of old age before lighters and matches become extinct.
I have a feeling that matches would outlast most everyone in a total zombie free for all. Imagine how many matches the average restaraunt, bar, gas station, grocery store carries. I would guess that one person would not exhaust a 7-11's fire supply in his/her lifetime (if they're not flagrantly wasting their supplies). Of course the majority of places with matches will be in urban areas (and therefore should be avoided) gas stations can be found in more remote places and generally only have one or two workers at any given time.

Maybe the homework could be more specific, like *start a fire using only things you can find in the woods *start a fire using only things you can take from your car *start and maintain a non-toxic fire using materials found in your home (no wood!), etc. to simulate the different scenarios that might come up.

noncyr
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by noncyr » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:34 pm

ghostface wrote: Maybe the homework could be more specific, like *start a fire using only things you can find in the woods *start a fire using only things you can take from your car *start and maintain a non-toxic fire using materials found in your home (no wood!), etc. to simulate the different scenarios that might come up.
Feel free to adjust the assignment to your liking. I agree, you should be familiar with as many ways to start a fire as possible.
Blergh

Sam

Post by Sam » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:30 pm

My car can start a fire all by itself.

Mugwug
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Mugwug » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:21 pm

My car can start a fire all by itself.
I know that feeling....

xbot

Post by xbot » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:49 pm

I once went to a bbq where two eagle scouts couldn't light briquettes with a lighter!

Learn to fend for yourself.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:05 pm

What if you're pyrokinetic, like me, and you can start a fire with your mind? It comes in handy. Here are instructions on becoming a pyrokinetic:

1) First, make sure you have matches. THINK about the matches. Gather a pile of tinder.

2) Now, THINK really hard about lighting a match. As you're IMAGINING lighting the match, mime striking the match against the strip on the box or the nearest brick wall. THINK even harder. Now, actually do it, letting your MIND guide your hand.

3) The match will burst into flame! Now, using your MIND, THINK about shielding the match with your free hand as you light the tinder from multiple sides. Now actually do it, using your MIND the whole time and FOCUSING on lighting a fire.

4) Your fire is started! Now, just THINK about adding sticks, and hopefully logs, as they are needed...

(This is a joke...)
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

ShadowSpawn

Post by ShadowSpawn » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:52 pm

You can use a glass jar, just put some water into a corner and use it to focus the sun light onto your tender pile like the magnifing glass.

For wet environments you could take a cube of solidified gasoline and light it and throw some sticks and leaves on it to dry out and thgen burn.

Dissolve 12 oz. finely shaved white soap in 1 pint hot water working it up to a paste, when slightly cooled add 5 oz household ammonia. Work into 1/2 gallon of gasoline to form a semi-solid mass. It can be diluted with either water or gasoline. It will burn when ignited.

You can pack that into some drinking straws and seal them up with tape. I don't know how easily it would light but I think it wouldn't be very tough. Use them to help you start a fire quicker.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:39 pm

In a pinch, I once used a stick of deodorant to start a pretty hefty blaze.

The stuff burns pretty nicely. High alcohol content, I think.

...Think about it.

Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:38 am

Like stick deodorant.. or? Anyway, I control the weather so fires aren’t a problem.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:39 am

Aye, STICK!!!

Some stick deodorant, and my pyrokinesis.

...Think about it.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:17 pm

Sam wrote:Like stick deodorant.. or? Anyway, I control the weather so fires aren’t a problem.
Actually, I bet the aerosol would still start a fire pretty damn well. :twisted:
If you control the weather, can you make wednesday & thursday good driving weather? I'm driving to Colorado for a ZS scouting trip, among other things. :D
-J
it won't give up, it wants me dead
god damn this noise inside my head

IZZYHVYBARREL

Post by IZZYHVYBARREL » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:24 am

Pine sap is flamable, also with a gallon of gas and an air bag from a abandoned vehicle I could make one helll of a pryo. charge

spartan

Post by spartan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:40 pm

ghostface wrote:Magnesium shavings onto tinder (mine = cotton balls dipped in petroleum jelly). Magnesium blocks are durable, fairly light weight and last a long time. The key is to find the right scraping/striking object to go with it. They can dull knife blades pretty quickly, so don't use your primary knife.
I use a 3" section of a hacksaw blade. It scrapes off shavings well once you practice with it a bit. Also works *real* well on getting sparks from the striker. I carry that chunk of blade on the same chain as my magnesium firestarter.

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:57 pm

98.6 Degrees, perchance? :)
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

spartan

Post by spartan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:42 pm

ghostface wrote:98.6 Degrees, perchance? :)
Why yes that is where I got the idea. It was the second place where I had run across it, but after reading his description of the way to use it, and practicing with it some, I saw the validity in the method.

UBCS-One

Post by UBCS-One » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:10 am

When I was a kid I went on a scouting trip for a weekend. Rained like hell when we arrived and the Scoutmaster, 2 assistants and 4 assorted parents were unable to coax a fire into life. After about an hour the Scoutmaster gave up and asked who had Scout Juice. Us always prepared types manager to produce about 11 cans of lighter fluid and soon had a nice little blaze going.
My usual method of fire-starting involves asking the wife to do it, as I really suck at igniting flames with out large quantities of petroleum products. Does that count as an alternative method?
there ain't many problems that you can't fix with 700 dollars and a 30-06!

Creaux

Post by Creaux » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:26 pm

I hope Slings posts some of his flamecrafting wisdom for us...

I'll report when I have some success. As I'm out of practice, just slightly, I'm going to not worry as much about using all natural materials, but I'll do it without any "firestarters," per se.
Creaux
Barbarian Suppressing General

I survived the Spring, Fall and Winter NorthEast (PA) Shoot/Gatherings!! It doesn't seem so tough anymore!!

Cool as a Chicken

Post by Cool as a Chicken » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:06 pm

kyle wrote:Using flint or a magnifying glass require that you have them.
The lens from a pair of glasses (the kind you wear) will also work. How do I know? :oops: Little House on the Prairie.
Nonetheless, my prescription is pretty powerful. On the downside, if I'm by myself for some reason, I'd have to use my own glasses and bend over very very close to the tinder to see what's going on. I don't like the idea of having my face that close to flames (or what I hope will be flames).
A.A. Milne -- Best Known as the Creator of Winnie the Pooh wrote:Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.

Grant

Post by Grant » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:59 pm

Homework done! A few different methods…

Lint and Flint: I took the contents of my pockets, removed the matches, lighter, and magnesium block (I tend to have at least three fire starters on me at all times, as I live in the BOONIES) and instead used the lint, left in the sun for a bit to air out, and struck a spark into it, at the base of a small pyramid of shredded pine needles, pine twigs, pinecones, big sticks, and logs (in that order, going up). Worked great.

Magnifying glass: NO luck at first. Stupid clouds. Finally got it started, similar to above, but I wasn’t happy with the performance. It just took too long, and I started sweating into the tinder, which didn’t help in the least.

SPARKY SPARKY, OW! OW!: Take a battery out of an electronic device, doesn’t much matter what, and try to light tinder with crossed wires. Worked fine, but the battery became very hot, so I discontinued it. No matter, it would only be used in a true emergency, though the risk of battery explosion, as well as depleting one of only a few I may have, limits it considerably.

Those are the ones I tried, and the results. I didn’t bother with my three REAL fire starters, because I know THEY’LL work. The question is if I will.
"Headshots...headshots...Do you know how to do anything else?!"

"Hey, you'd be surprised how many things that works on!"
“Yes, that IS a thousand rounds in my pocket, AND I’m happy to see you!”: The advantage of the .22lr

Return to “Announcements”