What are your top zombie apocalypse survival strategies?

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

swordofthebreeze

Re: What are your top zombie apocalypse survival strategies?

Post by swordofthebreeze » Mon May 28, 2012 5:06 pm

:lol:
Sargent at Arms - ZS051
A new state of preparedness.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.
Doc J wrote:...my uncle george could kill a well trained group of taliban with a ruben sandwich and a box of tampons....

TripleThreat

Post by TripleThreat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:50 am

Good luck to all
Last edited by TripleThreat on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

swordofthebreeze

Post by swordofthebreeze » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:08 am

TripleThreat wrote:
BDuncan wrote:From any greatly admired zombie universe, what are your top seriously and/or creatively
witty zombie apocalypse survival strategy suggestions.

If at home, barricade and fortify position. Fill every container with water. Try to get sleep when I can. Big thing I think people will overlook. There's a lot to do, but you also have to take care of your health and body. Attempt to make preplanned contact with group, see who has survived. Dig in. If the situation persists for more than 48 hours continuously, talk to neighbors about barricading entrance to neighborhood at that point.

Would try to stay apprised as long as possible as the Internet holds up. IMHO, however long the Net stays up or the power stays up, the Internet I think will be most people's last chance at coms with those at great distance and for getting real time information. We assume, from the movies and books, that it's about headshots and avoiding bites and these are the rules of how people turn, etc. But no one will know for sure until it happens. Things are going to go viral and discussions like tactics/countertactics, warnings, people's experiences and observations,those could all be key to understanding something early on that might save your life. Maybe someone will discover that using product X will attract them them and can be used to lure them away. Maybe someone will discover common workarounds for people trapped inside their homes. I see the Internet as being the last "written word" for lots of dying people. Not just messages for loved ones, but people losing their lives and the sidebar of that happening is the rest of us might be able to learn something to give us a fighting edge. Certainly if I was going to die, if I had a chance to upload onto the Net, while it was still up, I'd want to share knowledge that might help others make it through even though I couldn't.

Might also be the last chance to print things off before the power goes out on everyone.

That's the thing, in a legitimate PAW, if there were zombies, what will likely happen is a bunch of random small groups and eventually some larger communities being built. Without guarantee of safe travel or even safe passage beyond their walls, some semblance of what was the former Internet, but something else entirely, might one of the few ways for communities to share information and stay in touch with each other.

Even if it's just something like exchanging emails once a day with a survivor you don't really know, maybe that's enough to lift your morale as you wait and dig in and hope things settle out locally around you. It's not just about physical survival, it's about being able to cope mentally and emotionally with the loss of the world we knew.
That is some seriously deep, insightful, and well though out shit.
Sargent at Arms - ZS051
A new state of preparedness.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.
Doc J wrote:...my uncle george could kill a well trained group of taliban with a ruben sandwich and a box of tampons....

Zultra
BANNED

Post by Zultra » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:33 am

BDuncan wrote:From any greatly admired zombie universe, what are your top seriously and/or creatively
witty zombie apocalypse survival strategy suggestions.
Upon hearing there is a Zombie apocalypse, eat your food, burn or fire off all of the ammo, break the guns, smash the windows, break the doors, set alight the cars, hook up a megaphone that plays very loud music loudly and finally wear a sign saying 'all you can eat buffet'.

Perfect advice!

US_Army_Z28

Post by US_Army_Z28 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:22 pm

maldon007 wrote:
My thoughts are, super zombie, whatever it is, sounds stupid, and you should leave Storm Crow's thread before he forges your skull into something useful

The Mrs.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
REC I & II
28 Days Later
Dead Set
Exit Humanity
Tucker and Dale Vs Evil
Zombieland
Location: Leaning on an acacia, deliciously shaded, with the occasional sunbeam streaking through leaves.

Post by The Mrs. » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:06 pm

My strategy? Distract zombies with bait. :mrgreen:

Cogito, ergo nom...nom...nom.
Cave canem, te necet lingendo.

CannonDC
Favorite Zombie Movies: George A Romero - Dawn of the dead, Shaun of the dead, 28 days later among others... I prefer to read rather than watch

Post by CannonDC » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:23 pm

I now plan on disrtacting any zombies with my sweet dance moves, we all know they cant resist Jacksons - Thriller and Ill slowly but surely moonwalk my way away
Why are there 5 syllables in the word "Monosyllabic"?

FrogZombie

Post by FrogZombie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Borrow a nuclear power submarine, close the hatch and go for a cruise. :v:

Diomasach

Post by Diomasach » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:40 pm

The Island plan sounds best for the long term, There is an island State Park not too far from me and I have a boat. Mine doesn't have a causeway or bridge, and it is also far enough from shore that it shouldn't attract any attention. I'm not concerned about zeds "walking on the bottom" but I would definitely keep a patrol for the occasional floater.

Short term, definitely bug in and only make a run for it when the madness dies down.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:51 pm

CannonDC wrote:my only question to you, swordofthebreeze, is will you have people patrolling the beaches of your island, beause as weve seen in many undead stories is that the zombies may not be able to swim but since theyre dead already they can just walk along the bottom of the river... I love your idea i would just at least add a foot patroll, preferably with a bayonet of kind so that when the zeds do come up out of the water, probably water logged and slow as shit, you can dispatch of them quietly so as not to attract other zeds to cross as well
I will make a TV show about the lives and loves of the heroic men and women who patrol that island beach.

Zom-baywatch.
:wink:
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

CannonDC
Favorite Zombie Movies: George A Romero - Dawn of the dead, Shaun of the dead, 28 days later among others... I prefer to read rather than watch

Post by CannonDC » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:55 pm

squinty wrote:
CannonDC wrote:my only question to you, swordofthebreeze, is will you have people patrolling the beaches of your island, beause as weve seen in many undead stories is that the zombies may not be able to swim but since theyre dead already they can just walk along the bottom of the river... I love your idea i would just at least add a foot patroll, preferably with a bayonet of kind so that when the zeds do come up out of the water, probably water logged and slow as shit, you can dispatch of them quietly so as not to attract other zeds to cross as well
I will make a TV show about the lives and loves of the heroic men and women who patrol that island beach.

Zom-baywatch.
:wink:
just hopefully theres no david hasselhoffs
Why are there 5 syllables in the word "Monosyllabic"?

BlondeGuy

Post by BlondeGuy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:09 pm

My escape place. Island in the Gulf of Mexico.
5 mile long bridge which is easily barricaded
Great seafood for a food source. Fresh water wells and lakes. Enough land to plant gardens.

Any zombies walking through the water would not survive the crabs and sharks which would feast off of them.

Access to raw natural gas, but not sure how to process and use it.

But would make good use of a solar generator

I got another place deep in the woods if I need to get away from all people.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:38 pm

Stop it. I'm splitting this off as well. Xalia, you have a PM. Everyone else, take it to PM.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:41 pm

BlondeGuy wrote:Image

Great seafood for a food source. Fresh water wells and lakes. Enough land to plant gardens.

Any zombies walking through the water would not survive the crabs and sharks which would feast off of them.

Playing devil's advocate here.

Dauphin Island is slowly shifting to the west. In the absence of a lot of maintenance and up keep, Ft. Gaines may not last too many more tropical storms/hurricanes......Not too mention how bad the western half gets washed-out during storm surges.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

US_Army_Z28

Post by US_Army_Z28 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:38 am

ill go to the CDC i mean hey it worked out nicely for them in the walking dead right?

but my plan, SURVIVE, a few people i know live in areas and houses that if something were to happen, these locations are easily defensible and are in lower/less densly populated rural areas. I live in an apartment complex so my first order of buisness will be GTFO of there and head to one of the afformentioned places, with as many supplies, guns, ammo, and knives as i can get out of my apartment in the 5 minute window i have allowed myself for evac, if i dont get everything i want out in that amount of time chances are i didnt really need it anyway, and then once i make it to my destination its time to lay low, deal with situations as they arise and wait the rest out.

no this isnyt some elaborate gung ho hero of a plan to save the wworld when it distends into chaos its a plan to do exactly what i said form the beginning, Survive.
maldon007 wrote:
My thoughts are, super zombie, whatever it is, sounds stupid, and you should leave Storm Crow's thread before he forges your skull into something useful

BlondeGuy

Post by BlondeGuy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:42 pm

RickOShea wrote:
BlondeGuy wrote:Image

Playing devil's advocate here.

Dauphin Island is slowly shifting to the west. In the absence of a lot of maintenance and up keep, Ft. Gaines may not last too many more tropical storms/hurricanes......Not too mention how bad the western half gets washed-out during storm surges.

It's been around for several thousand years. Ft Gains for about 150. The shifting of the island westward isn't bad since I'm a property owner of the west end.

But we will adapt to any changes. My home is on the north east side, which isn't effected much, but a direct hit by a category 3 or better would make for a Bad Day.

Jesus Christ and American veterans and the only two forces willing to give up their lives for you.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:24 pm

BlondeGuy wrote:It's been around for several thousand years. Ft Gains for about 150. The shifting of the island westward isn't bad since I'm a property owner of the west end.

But we will adapt to any changes. My home is on the north east side, which isn't effected much, but a direct hit by a category 3 or better would make for a Bad Day.
I'm confused.....are you on the west end, or the northeast side? Either way, what I'm saying is: In the ZPAW, I don't believe anyone's going to be dumping anymore rocks on the east end to keep it shored-up, or doing any beach renourishment on the west end.....And most likely, Dr. Bill Williams and John Nodar ain't going to be around to warn you about incoming TS and hurricanes. :ooh:

ETA: And ever since the BP oil spill, I've been wondering how bad it could get along the coast of the GOM, if all those rigs and wells are permanently abandoned in a sho 'nuff apocalypse?

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Bulldog2010
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Resident Evil Movies, Zombieland

Post by Bulldog2010 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Sounds good but how. about being ready beforehand?

BlondeGuy

Post by BlondeGuy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:20 pm

My house is on the east end but also own the property on the west end.

If it becomes inhabitable then adapt and move inland.

Jesus Christ and American veterans and the only two forces willing to give up their lives for you.

Orion Drive
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (1978), 28 Weeks Later, Day of the Dead.

Post by Orion Drive » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:48 am

Being in the Air Guard I don't really have much of a choice. Pretty much a matter of show up to my unit, and fix planes until they decide they don't need aircraft mechanics anymore. At that point I suspect they'll probably hand me a rifle and a magazine and tell me I'm now a security forces augmentee. If the base holds then awesome, if not it's a three hour drive back up north.

Now that said I do have a plan for my friends and family to follow until I get back. Their instructions will be to all gather together all supplies into duffel bags and be ready to leave home at a moments notice in the event that our beloved small town is unable to band together and suppress the zombies. Once things get to where they can no longer remain in their homes safely they are to take all supplies and go up to the high school north of town. The high school has some nice advantages;
- It's out in the farmland, so therefore unlikely to be attacked by any large swarms.
- It's three stories high and divided into three sections, so it can be easily compartmentalized. This way in the event the building is breached individual areas can be locked down, granting additional time to evacuate or perhaps even regroup and retake compromised sections.
- The terrain surrounding it is just hilly enough to where it conceals the school at most angles from farther out than a few miles. Even with the stadium lights from the football field turned on its hard to notice from town at night, so it's unlikely it would attract any attention from population source.
- Being away from any major roads its unlikely to be hit by bandits that aren't already aware of its location.
- The automotive, wood working, and welding shops would allow fortification projects.
- The automotive shop could be used to store vehicles to be used for scavenging operations, which would allow teams to get into the safety of the vehicles without having to traverse a potentially zombie infested parking lot.
- It's full of lockers and textbooks that could be used for barricades. Would we really need all of those math text books? I doubt it.
- It has one of the larger public school libraries in the state, which provides a source of entertainment and education that doesn't rely on electricity.
- It has a basketball court, indoor track, weight room, and other fitness amenities, making it possible to stay in shape without ever leaving the safety of the building.
- The building is large enough to where if converted into a refugee center it could theoretically hold the entire town's population, and then some. So even if others did get the same idea space wouldn't be a limiting factor.
- All of the windows in the school are energy efficient windows that would significantly cut down on the amount of heat lost during the winter. This is important here in northern Illinois.
- Surrounding farmland could eventually be used to produce food in the long term.
- One of the town's wells is within a couple miles, which means a fresh water source other than rainwater could potentially be rigged up at some point.

The limiting factor is going to be supplies, which is why the most capable of the survivors will at some point have to begin scavenging operations in town. This problem is pretty much unavoidable no matter where you go, but at least security is an easy one.
Formerly Cyberdude78 on the FVZA forums.

MMAsac
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, Dead Snow

Post by MMAsac » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:13 pm

My wife and I live in a small town and on the outskirts of it even. we live in a Duplex house and live upstairs, with only 1 door, I'm pretty prepared with food, water, generator, Guns and TONS of ammo for them, I keep a Ladder and a Saw in the apartment. My plan is to cut the stairway right off the house, which will leave no entrance to get into the apartment. Leaving our ladder inside, to get up and down only as we need to.
"If you don't have enough ammo to load all your mags you need to buy more ammo. If you have more ammo than you can load in your mags you need to buy more mags."

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:39 am

where would i go if i have time ?

there
Mon Valin

height 980 m, pic Dubuc
length 120 km
wide 60 km
Superficy 6 900 km2

enough fresh water, small games ,big game, and edible plant to last the rest of my life. i know at least 2 cabin where i can go. one is a family cabin and the other one is the one of a friend of mine, that i helped to restore it in shape.

and i also have enough knowledge to make a viable camp with the minimum proper tools if needed.

both cabin are at 1h39 min and 2h of where i am. and i could maybe call a helicopter if needed. (one of my friend have his license and have access to helicopter) then they only are at 20 min and 40 min of where i am.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

MisterXeonic

Post by MisterXeonic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Me and my 4 friends are going to survive all of us have some very good skills and we will be nomadic

Cherokee John

Post by Cherokee John » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:47 am

There's an uninhabited island 9km off the coast where I live that has a coast guard station manned by a few recruits. It has fresh water and all the fish you could eat, good soil. I'm sure the recruits will abandon their stations and return to their families-AWOL is a huge problem here. I just need to pack my stuff and my two dogs on my 13 foot paddleboard and paddle out there-I've done this a few times, takes about three hours unloaded.

They have cammoed concrete bunkers and a huge peak that you can get a great vantage point from.
The only problem is that it is an active volcano :gonk: They also just caught a 6 meter great white shark there last week :gonk:

Hotsprings for the cold weather. I'd bring a few chickens along for eggs and such and maybe a nice attractive female nurse who knows how to fish and farm. (I could tow her behind me on my other board with the chickens and the dogs-I'd invite a skinny one who didn't complain a lot)

If society is totally gone I could scavenge or trade with the locals on the mainland. There is only one landing dock so it would be easy to defend. There is also a huge ocean trench between the island and the mainland so any Max Brooks super underwater zombies (total B.S. in my opinion) would be swept away in the currents.

With a good supply of hard spirits and reading material, me and Nurse Betty and the dogs could have a pleasant time.
“Guns tell the truth. Guns never say, "I'm only kidding."
― Gustav Hasford, The Short-Timers

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”