views an chainmail?

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

views an chainmail?

Post by freenarative » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Here's a question for you all;

In a PAW full of the animated living impaired, would a sharkbite suit with a full faced coif be of any help?

IMHO if you got a sharkbite suit and donned it, you are covered in (literally) neck to toe bite proof armour. If you then had a coif (chain mail hat) that was full face (balaklava style) and tied it to the suit with wire and crimped it closed it couldn't be pulled off. you'd need to use a crimping tool to remove it.

So,,,now covered in invulnerable armour all you need to do is pick up ANYTHING and walk the streets stoving in the heads of the living impaired. Imagine it like playing doom with the "godmode" cheat.

so,,,,,,good idea or am i missing a flaw here????

@ the mods,,, as this relates to realistic gear for the ZPAW I thought it'd be OK here. If, however, you disagree, would it be acceptable to place it in "off topic" please? I'm still learning web etiquette so please be gentle with me:)
Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Re: views an chainmail?

Post by velojym » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:51 pm

I think it would help ward off the "casual" bite, but would be hot and heavy for every day use. Definitely handy for scouts and other folks who need to risk short-term exposure to Zombahs. Even the chain-mail gloves and smocks commonly used in meat packing plants could be used as they are or adapted, maybe used with some toughened leather panels... yeah, one could come up with all sorts of ideas.
I think the limiting factor when facing a horde of undead would be the wearer's strength and stamina. A pile of zombies could still kill you (crush, asphyxiate, etc.) even if they can't get through your clothes.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Post by freenarative » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:59 pm

good point, suffocation and blood seeping through the mail is a problem so this is an idea best suited to reccies and recourse gathering,,, although as I type this reply i have a second, far better idea,,,,,KEVLAR! it's light, breathable, can be fashioned into a full body suit with relative ease. all you need is a sheet of it, a sewing machine and,,,,,some way to cut the pannels to make a suit?,,,erm,,, can you cut kevlar?

Any way, once in the suit it's light so you can peg it (translation,,,,run v-v-v-fast)
Not being metal means it wont rust and you don't need a metallurgy degree to fix it!

LOL, win.
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by velojym » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Yeah, you can cut Kevlar, with specially serrated shears (to hold the fiber while the cut's being made). I'm not sure about the
shear material, but I'd imaging it would have to be pretty good stuff. Check Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, as well as some boat building websites. The stuff is used in some homebuilt airplanes, and they have to cut it to shape before applying it.
As for sewing it together... that's way outta my skill set.

Anti-zombie superhero tights!!!!
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

freenarative

Post by freenarative » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:12 pm

You can buy kevlar thread. It's perfect for snares and tripwires as its strong but I suppose if you used it to sew the pannels it should hold.

I just googled it and you can buy suits of kevlar. Apparently they use it for race car drivers because it's fire proof. win! No sewing needed, just bu the suit to fit, they also do kevlar balaklavas, DOUBLE WIN!,,, kevlar socks too,, TREBLE, and dare i say EIPC, WIN!

OK so having it pulled off you may be a problem but if it gives you a second or two to strike back it could save your life in the ZPAW!

freenarative

Post by freenarative » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:14 pm

On a funny sub note, the kevlar thread I buy comes with a dire warning;

"Sewing this into clothes does NOT make you bullet proof!"

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by velojym » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:24 pm

freenarative wrote:On a funny sub note, the kevlar thread I buy comes with a dire warning;

"Sewing this into clothes does NOT make you bullet proof!"
I'm guessing there's a story just full o' win that led to that warning.
Yeah, Kevlar has to be arranged and sandwiched properly to give adequate ballistic protection. Not recommended for
home experimenters.

In a pinch, and providing you aren't overwhelmed, the chain gauntlets I described above (from the packing plant) with a
rubber dish glove underneath would be a heck of a lot better than nothing. I used to use thick leather ones when I was working animal control, and a vicious dog could sometimes be caught just by offering him a hand. Jam that chain glove into the zed's jaws, giving yourself a few seconds to bring the machete 'round.

Mods... is this still "other gear"? Or are we getting into an area better covered in another area... like Zombie Tactics
-The Postman

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 pm

I currently have 5 vests of mail. IF the Zeds started coming at me right now, I suppose I'd put one on. I can't think of many other disasters it would be great protection to wear, but I do remember in high school, a bit over 10 years ago, when there was a tornado drill and I put on my coif to protect the back of my neck. If my hands can protect that vital area when duck & covering, surely a bunch of metal rings woven into a mesh would do a better job?

Now, on another topic, I think everyone should have a shirt of mail, only because that would increase my chances of selling the stuff...

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:03 am

Mail was meant to stop a cut. It will in some cases stop a bite from taking a chuck out of you but it doesn't stop the bit force, that with metal = blood. Weight slows you down. A pile could hold you down and wait for you to bleed out from the hundreds of small puncher wounds you get from them trying to bit. For defence good, for attack not so good.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:32 am

freenarative wrote:Here's a question for you all;

In a PAW full of the animated living impaired, would a sharkbite suit with a full faced coif be of any help?It would beat a tee shirt, sure.

IMHO if you got a sharkbite suit and donned it, you are covered in (literally) neck to toe bite proof armour. If you then had a coif (chain mail hat) that was full face (balaklava style) and tied it to the suit with wire and crimped it closed it couldn't be pulled off. you'd need to use a crimping tool to remove it.You'd regret that decision if you needed medical aid.

So,,,now covered in invulnerable armour all you need to do is pick up ANYTHING and walk the streets stoving in the heads of the living impaired. Imagine it like playing doom with the "godmode" cheat. There is no such thing as invulnerable, neither the armor, nor the person wearing it.

so,,,,,,good idea or am i missing a flaw here????Not a terrible idea, but not great, either. I suggest you try some chain mail on, wear it for a day or so, exercise heavily in it, and then decide for yourself if that's what you want.

@ the mods,,, as this relates to realistic gear for the ZPAW I thought it'd be OK here. If, however, you disagree, would it be acceptable to place it in "off topic" please? I'm still learning web etiquette so please be gentle with me:)
Chain mail is quite breathable, but the padding worn under it isn't always as breathable as the armor. You can get it made in a variety of metals, all of them expensive, thanks to today's metal market prices, but this means that your chain need not weigh more than you do. Aluminum, as expensive as it is right now, is likely your best balance point between light/durable, and cost. Titanium is your best bet for durability and lightness, but having made chain mail from scratch myself, I can tell you that titanium would NOT be my first choice of materials to work with. It WOULD be my first choice of materials to wear, however.

Chain mail is comfortable because it's flexible. This fact works against you when it comes to impacts- a ball bat hitting you in the chain-covered shin still hurts like hell, and could still break the leg. Slashes and bites, it would work pretty well against, but piercing attacks, like an arrow for instance, will likely not even slow down. chain will also do nothing to protect your head from getting knocked around, and no matter what you wear, you'll need some sort of opening for decent vision, which will become a target zone to anything with some intelligence to it. As bonanacrom pointed out, you're basicly wearing a portable cheese grater, so pressure can cause the armor to chew your skin open, or even off- something to keep in mind.

Any armor, no matter how effective vs. Zed bites, will not prevent you from being swarmed, taken down, and held there- you could end up dying of thirst, becoming a zombie anyway, and then be the first armored Zed walking your neighborhood!
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

1984CJ
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 1984CJ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:03 am

What I believe the OP is referring to is
http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index.php ... cts_id=262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are stainless steel with small welded rings. They weigh less than 5 pounds and are fairly comfortable.
Unfortunately, I have not seen them in long sleeve versions. I have never seen pants made out of them either. They probably exist since they are used for bite protection from sharks.

They provide no cushion from the blow so Zombie bites could do crushing damage thus immobilizing you until they can rip you apart and eat you.

This would be great if you are paranoid of inner city zombies with knives. It would also be much lighter and flexible than a suit of kevlar.
Tanstaafl

polliedes

Post by polliedes » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:24 am

During the second Persian war at the battle of Platea, there was a Persian soldier in "mail armor" that was impervious to the bronze swords and iron spear heads of the Spartans. This mail armor was most likely a suit of steel chain mail that was aquired from the Celts.
Despite being protected from the weapons, he was still killed by the concussion of the impacts. His skin was never penetrated. Just saying that force of numbers might still get you if you wore chain mail.

The company I work fork weaves Kevlar for the US government. The fabric has to go through a lamination process before developing any type of ballistic protection. As far as cut resistance goes, we use a cloth knife to doff the rolls from the looms. The edge is good for 1 cut across the width before requiring re-sharpening (And this is before lamination).

No judgement calls from me on either, just presenting info I have that might be of interest.
ICRS EMTB

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:43 am

From an SCA side: Chain is far more tiring to wear when fighting that a well fitted coat of jack, or plate. The chain will swing and slap, where the close fitted plate will stay with you.
This is not a suggestion that anyone should run out and invest in a suit of plate or brigandine, but just an observation after having worn (and sometimes slept) in armor on a few more occasions than the typical sane person.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:49 pm

I spent six months once making a chainmaille shirt from scratch, (Plenty of tutorials on the interwebz) I made the links by purchasing stainless steel springs and cutting them longways making my links....
It was heavy, and you need to wear a heavy shirt underneath because every exposed inch of you is gonna be scratched and bleeding....

IF.... I wanted to build a zed proof shirt, I would honestly find a leathersmith and have him craft a lightweight shirt and shoulder guards out of really think horsehide laminated in layers, Cured horsehide is damn tough, and oiled properly slippery as hell.
Think of it like a segmented or layered armor....

Now, Imagine customizing this into a more modern armour....

Or instead of using Horsehide, consider using something like Kyvek material....

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by velojym » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:57 pm

...or tire carcasses, a more refined Road Warrior thing.
-The Postman

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 pm

velojym wrote:...or tire carcasses, a more refined Road Warrior thing.
Some SCA friends of mine have told me that a lot of people try tire armor, and it doesn't work out very well. I think it cracks after prolonged use, it's about the hottest thing there is, and very heavy. Apparently you're better off with leather, or even an armor made of old carpet. Carpet armor is what they recommend as a no-cost beginner's armor.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:36 pm

bonanacrom wrote:Mail was meant to stop a cut. It will in some cases stop a bite from taking a chuck out of you but it doesn't stop the bit force, that with metal = blood. Weight slows you down. A pile could hold you down and wait for you to bleed out from the hundreds of small puncher wounds you get from them trying to bit. For defence good, for attack not so good.
Odds are a human-zombie couldn't get his mouth open far enough to lay a good bite on a full mail suit.

The OP has omitted that mail requires -- absolutely requires -- padding underneath. The padding spreads the force, turns most of it into broad bruises. I know it works with 6mm re-enactor mail and dogs and sharp knifes, as I've done that.

(it also gives you 60 pounds of extra mass, great for charging folk, hopeless for mooching around on a hot day!)

Getting dogpiled by zombies is always death. Ain't nothing good coming out of that.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:52 pm

http://www.surfersvillage.com/surfing/32095/news.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the cost of $23,000.00... I think I found one disadvantage.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

DonTrusTheMEDIA

views an chainmail?

Post by DonTrusTheMEDIA » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:27 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:http://www.surfersvillage.com/surfing/32095/news.htm

At the cost of $23,000.00... I think I found one disadvantage.
Does it come with the girl?

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:37 pm

That's gotta chafe.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Aonghus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead, 28 Days, 28 Weeks, etc.

Post by Aonghus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:43 pm

You can get full, stainless, riveted mail haubergeons for about $800 - $1100. Chausses (legs), mittens, and a coif are going to run you a few hundred more.

Icefalcon Amoury Maille

He's started selling it in Ti too, but the price doubles. There are also a couple of other places online that you could purchase from as well...prices are about the same for good quality, riveted or welded maille.

Shade~O'Grey

Post by Shade~O'Grey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:15 pm

If it came to the point of needing to wear armor, I would prefer to wear something like this :
Image :mrgreen:
"He was always a very quiet man."

Pie. AK. Pie. 9MM. Pie. Coffee. Pie. Greyness. Pie.

freenarative

Post by freenarative » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:43 pm

hmm,, this is starting to be an interesting topic!

So on a change of tac,,,,,how about the "catcher" suits that riot police wear? They'd have to be stab proof and thus bite proof,,,,lightweight so that the snatchers can run in them,,,,and re-enforced so that they can fight back. So does anyone have any experience of these? And I mean from the wearers perspective and not the victims end,,,,*coughs* i mean suspects end.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:12 pm

http://www.neptunic.com/

May as well go for whats actually being used to fend of bites...
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”