Raider realities....

This forum is dedicated to discussions on how to bust up on some zombies.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

stetson

Raider realities....

Post by stetson » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:37 am

So many folks are concerned about the long term aspect of raiders. Why?

Raiders are going to exist however they are going to be more along the lines of opportunistic feeders rather then overt agressors. Heres my reasoning.

A) Tolerance, The local remaining populace will not long tolerate someone taking their resources, this leads to folks seeking out assisstance to dealing with the raiders.

B) Fortifications, while some folks like to qoute Patton fortifications do remain a viable defense even more so in PAW, the raiders will need to have more forces to attack and overwhelm a defense point then those manning it.

C) Support and logistics, raiders will need to succeed repeatedly in order to maintain a longterm siege, food, munitions, tools, medical support, if they dont take care of the troops the troops will freaking leave just look at the brush wars of africa. Without a super power support all revolutions would have failed.

While I have limited time to post this my position is this, preparation, planning, and mindset will contain a raider threat. Go ahead and discuss I would love to hear others thoughts.

JTNieman

Re: Raider realities....

Post by JTNieman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:41 am

Concern for 'raiders' is time proven and sound.

It only takes one encounter to kill you.

Every major natural and man-made disaster results in incredibly violent outbreaks of looting and other acts of opportunism and desperation. Why would you -not- be concerned for such things?

Finch

Post by Finch » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:43 am

NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

stetson

Post by stetson » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:04 pm

I was just reading posts and there seems to be an overwhelming fear of Raiders. I would take precautions yes however some of the overwhelming boogey man metality is out of control.

The pic above is a perfect example, folks will band together to face a common threat.

In our area I have planned to support my family, then those close enough to support me. The lone wolf mentality fortress solitude mentality will only get you dead faster.

I guess what I am trying to say is I dont feel the mad max doom and gloom scenario is as likely as many think. Most folks I expect to run into PAW will be looking for support, protection, and some semblance of community.

Finch

Post by Finch » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:17 pm

i for one welcome are raider overlords
NRA XTC High Master

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Because what my start as a small gang of opportunistic vultures can quickly switch to a more coordinated and well equipped force.

Any number of catalyst could make a group switch, new leadership, lack of resources or they see an opportunity for example.

Now, do I expect dudes with sawed shotgun, ass less chaps, armor made from old tires and hockey masks riding motorcycles? No.

I expect desperate and possibly sociopathic criminals.

Lets say we have a group of 10 gangmembers from "Gang XYZ" in whatever major city you want to name.

Shit goes bad, these guys and girls go to, for what most of em is, the only home and sense of safety they have.

They just sit tight for a day or two, but start to run out of food. Allright, no biggie, loot enough to make it another few days and their good to go.

A week or two, maybe a month passes and this cycle is starting to produce less and less. So now they either need to A) Starve or B) Not Starve.

All it takes is enough desperate people and a opportunity. Our Gang has a couple pistols and some improvised bludgeons. They see a another group, possibly a "soft" target such as geriatrics or a group with no visible security (weapons, attitude, appearance, ect)

Well, their hungry so how hard would it be to beat up those other guys and take those boxes of fruit loops?

Well damn! That WAS easy, we should do this more often!

See where I'm going with this?

This is still in scavenger tier to me (but dangerous and a threat) but if one or more of these groups got together and someone with even a little bit of leadership and charisma talked em into hitting harder targets (Police, Military, Govt) and they pulled it off it could quickly build up steam.

Of course by the point their going to draw the ire of said Police and possibly Military in the form of NG, but that may not be enough if the threat isn't seen as credible.

I don't think Raiders are a huge threat, they sit in the sort of middle of my threat pyramid but not something I'm going to discount.

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Finch wrote:Image
God bless America.
That picture brings a tear to my eye due to national pride.
I want that as a poster.

Edit: I like the golf cart.
How about a thread on using Golf carts for reconnaissance and troop transport\ambulance duty..

I like fruit loops
Last edited by bigmattdaddywack on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stetson

Post by stetson » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:41 pm

No way man it would be like having another wife telling me what to do, where to go, how to do things, read the directions. Stuff like that.

LordXenu
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Day of the dead, dawn of the dead both old and 2004.

Post by LordXenu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:51 am

While I have been thinking about the potential of me or my loved one's being harmed by raider's the best thing I could come up with is avoid contact with other group's unless absolute necessary. While the picture above look's fine and dandy if you make contact with them whether your a raider or not they may mistake you for a raider or defend what they have and shoot first ask question's later.
When god gives you lemons you find a new god!

ChaoticL0gic

Post by ChaoticL0gic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:03 pm

I have given a good amount of thought to this (I really need to get a job). This my theory on what could happen in a PAW.
This is just my theory based on what I have seen of human nature and group psychology which really is not that much.
  • SHTF
  • Mass panic
  • Riots
  • Exodus from major cities
  • small towns, State parks, become refuge camps
  • Resources disappear,
  • Strong take from the week (armed Vs unarmed)
  • Those that survive disperse to more rural areas
  • Some adapt some don't i.e. Farming, H&G, self reliance, communal living
  • Those that don't die-off or begin to take from those that have adapted i.e. Raiders
Do be honest I don't see the "gangs" becoming a severe issue outside of major cities. The ones that worry me are the "Mall Ninjas" or gun totting yahoo's that spend all their time reading survival books but never actually go out to practice and learn survival first hand. Because they know enough to be dangerous. (much like the guy that try's to fix his own car or computer but only makes it worse) They are the ones that will head out to the rural area's and try to set-up for long term and fail. Once their cases of MRE's and spam run out, that growl in their stomach is louder than the cries of the person they just shot.
CL's Rules of the Desert
  • Carrying too much water makes you strong, carrying too little water makes you dead
  • There is a word for people that travel in the bush unarmed....Victim
  • Untested gear is unproven gear, unproven gear fails when you need it most.

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:21 pm

Looter looting a looter in Haiti
Just goes to show that people will do anything.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

CryHavoc

Post by CryHavoc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:25 pm

ChaoticL0gic wrote:Do be honest I don't see the "gangs" becoming a severe issue outside of major cities.
There are already gangs in some rural areas. They move out to the suburbs and rural areas to get away from the 'heat' (i.e. the police) in the cities. When you've got a small town and all of a sudden there's a heroin/cocaine problem at the high school, that means somebody moved in. Also, don't forget that some of the major biker gangs (like the Outlaws) like the rural areas and are already set up there.
Zombie women love me for my Braaaains!
If the 'Zombie Apocalypse' started today, how would you know somebody wasn't just filming a movie?
A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
KnightoftheRoc wrote:The end result is, you can't convince a closed mind, and you don't need to convince an open one.

ChaoticL0gic

Post by ChaoticL0gic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Murph wrote:
I love the bandanna covering his face, with an ID card hang on his neck. Classic!
CL's Rules of the Desert
  • Carrying too much water makes you strong, carrying too little water makes you dead

alwayswandering
BANNED

Post by alwayswandering » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:49 pm

ChaoticL0gic wrote:
Murph wrote:
I love the bandanna covering his face, with an ID card hang on his neck. Classic!
That's how Haiti "rolls"!

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:19 am

alwayswandering wrote:
ChaoticL0gic wrote:
Murph wrote:
I don't want your money or your food. Just put your fucking hat on straight!
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

ChaoticL0gic

Post by ChaoticL0gic » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:00 am

alwayswandering wrote:
ChaoticL0gic wrote:
Murph wrote:

"Mutha fucker, you will eat it on a boat, you eat them with a goat,
bitch you will eat them on a train or in da rain,
You will eat my green eggs and ham!"

I so see a caption contest coming :lol:
CL's Rules of the Desert

Finch

Post by Finch » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:15 am

it could be a cop

they police use a lot of scatterguns down there

also i love how he is trying to hold the shotgun sideways
NRA XTC High Master

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:09 am

No I didn't buy my jeans pre-torn at the knees to be fashionable! This is SHTF wear and tear bitch!
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:17 am

Raiders will start to show up in great numbers after the 72 hour mark of a disaster no matter what or where. Katrina and Haiti are great example of that. Shoot bro in the head over a water bottle. Yep, can someone find that picture?

Long term people are going to band together and some may just roam and pillage. Its human nature. History does repeat itself. Hell there are raiders now adays and there is no catastrophic disaster.

My car was raided for a fucking IPOD and GPS...seriously....
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:20 am

In Australia where only the pigs and the crims have guns, looters are a distinct possibility with devastating outcomes
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:27 pm

Sckitzo wrote:Now, do I expect dudes with sawed shotgun, ass less chaps, armor made from old tires and hockey masks riding motorcycles? No.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, either.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:11 pm

I expect assless chaps because that's what chaps are. Otherwise they'd be pants. Yes, chaps with asses are pants. :D

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Post by elkhills » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:24 pm

The Raider realities are:
1. They have made a lot good moves this off season- cutting Jamarcus was the best addition by subtraction move in years.
2. They still have a lot of holes to fill.
3. Until that Nasferatu Al Davis turns to dust Raiders will never be a legitimate threat.
ImageImage

Wait... which forum is this?
Last edited by elkhills on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Murph wrote:

Yo dawg.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Return to “Zombie Combat Tactics”