Tactical Tuesday presents: Ammo RePacking

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Murph

Tactical Tuesday presents: Ammo RePacking

Post by Murph » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Welcome to another installment of Tactical Tuesday. I'm your host, Murph, and today we'll be talking about the importance of Ammo RePacking, along with the materials to do it. Lets start with the basics!

There are many ways ammo is sold, from loose round bulk packs to carefully places styrofoam/plastic trays. Pretty typical stuff, but not exact easy to transport or reload into magazines quickly. Thumbing in each loose round is time consuming and painful. Not to mention if a box accidentally opens, all your ammo could get dumped in the dirt. But don't worry there is a solution!

First, there is some supplies you should look into getting: Loose Ammo, Stripper Clips, Stripper Clip Guide, Cloth Bandoleer, Magazines, Ammo Can, Mag Pouch, Ammo Pouch

If you take the loose ammo you can slide rounds into one of the ends of the stripper clips, typically most clips hold 10 rounds. With AR clips, you'll need to carefully bend the small tab up to keep the ammo from falling out.

With your ammo put onto clips you can put the clips in cloth bandoleers for easy transportation. Or you can put the clips into an ammo can for long term storage. Or even better, clips into bandoleer, and then bandoleer into ammo can.

When it's time to load your magazines, you'll need to attach the Stripper Clip Guide to the magazine, and then put your clip inside the guide. Push the rounds (but not the clip) down into the magazine. This is typically referred to as "charging" the mag. Make sure to remove the clip and guide once the mag is fully loaded. From there Magazines can be stored in ammo cans for long term storage, or in mag pouches for immediate access.

And here comes some extra Tactical Tuesday Tips! Imagine you've blown through all your mags. I sure hope you brought an extra bandoleer of ammo! If you did it's easy to quickly load your mags once again. This will save you time (money) when you're at a private pay-by-the-hour range. If you're out in the field, it will your weapon back up and firing quicker too. Another tip for those out in the field. Many people avoid bandoleers because they tend to bounce around, slapping the ribs, rattling and making noise. However, if you have an Ammo Pouch, like a SAW Pouch, or M60 Ammo Pouch, you can pack the bandoleers into those pouches just like you would a ammo can. The added bonus is that they are not as heavy or awkward as an ammo can.

Following the above techniques of Ammo RePacking you can: Have ammo readily available for emergencies (ie Bug-Out), prevent accidental ammo spillages, carry more ammo easier, quickly reload your weapon, prevent a reloader's thumb, and just generally look like a serious bad ass.

:D
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Tactical Tuesday presents: Ammo RePacking

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:56 pm

I took a 4 day rifle class last fall and fire about 2300 rounds. That's about 76 mags. The week before the class, I spent a hour (at most) loading 3000 rounds into clips. It was really easy and quick to do. (You can get 5.56 already clipped of course)

During the class, I used my StripLULA. I got all the mags loaded very easily; never had to worry about how many I had in each mag, and was able to spend my break times hydrating and listening to the instructors. These little things are worth their weight in gold.

Behold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6woyfjTRMPA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:23 pm

I have several Bandoliers stored for easy transport come time for the PAW, another thing that I do is vacuum seal them with a desicant pack. This prevents that nasty tarnish from showing up on your brass.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Phil-
It's official, I need to get one of those StripLULA's.

Sigboy-
Vacuum Packing is great for stock piling, one of these days I'll have to pick one up.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Awesome, I just ordered 20 7.62x39 stripper clips and a mag adapter so this is some great information and now i guess i shoud buy or make a bandolier for my new clips.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Chase The hero wrote:Awesome, I just ordered 20 7.62x39 stripper clips and a mag adapter so this is some great information and now i guess i shoud buy or make a bandolier for my new clips.
Murph, did you find out if they made a stripLULA for AK's?
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Thats sweet Phil. I might have to check that out for the FAL.
I dont have a stripLULA but I do have the LULA for my FAL and the UpLULA for my Glock.
The UpLULA is really awesome too. One unit that works with most pistol mags in most calibers.
I recommend them both! Very easy to load loose rounds with either.
UpLULA
M1A/FAL LULA

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Strip LULA is only available in .223... no AK no FAL :(

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Necrodamus wrote:Strip LULA is only available in .223... no AK no FAL :(
Yup, those are my findings too. It's a shame. :(

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Yeah, the only LULA deal i know of is this one: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS019-6.html

I ordered this russian adapter thing from cope's:http://www.copesdistributing.net/produc ... cts_id=520
Kommander wrote:
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:25 pm

There's this thing for the AK-47 stripper clips:
http://www.keepshooting.com/firearmacce ... loader.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But it got mixed reviews on Cheaper Than Dirt:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKS502-6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this guy for 15 loose rounds at a time:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS155-6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:08 pm

Ok, so i got my 20 7.62x39 stripper clips in and my surplus loader deal. The ammo loads up on the clips well enough, but i am having a damn hard time loading them into the mag. it cant be that complicated right? just put the clip into the slide on top of the loader, seat the loader on the mag, press ammo down. but it DOESN'T FUCKING WANT TO WORK :evil: i am frustrated with this now.

image of loader used Image
Kommander wrote:
Well they are both tasty

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:33 am

Chase The hero wrote:Ok, so i got my 20 7.62x39 stripper clips in and my surplus loader deal. The ammo loads up on the clips well enough, but i am having a damn hard time loading them into the mag. it cant be that complicated right? just put the clip into the slide on top of the loader, seat the loader on the mag, press ammo down. but it DOESN'T FUCKING WANT TO WORK :evil: i am frustrated with this now.

image of loader used Image
I also have one of those and haven't been able to make it work yet. What's the trick, Murph?
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Murph

Post by Murph » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 am

AKFTW wrote: I also have one of those and haven't been able to make it work yet. What's the trick, Murph?
The trick is they suck. I had to bend mine a little to get it to even work ocasionally. The angle the ammo was loading in wasn't ideal. However, not the metal on the guide is weak from bending it, so it's only a matter of time before it snaps. It would be really nice if they made a StripLULA for the AK.

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Ok i got the technique on that loader figured out. What works best is once you put it on, and put the clip in: push the first round into the mag. then push the rest in two at a time, until you are at the lat one. then you can put the last one in. Change clips. Repeat. Doing this it takes me about a minute to load a mag with them which, though still kinda slow, is a vast improvement in putting the bullets in one at a time.
Kommander wrote:
Well they are both tasty

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Chase The hero wrote:Ok i got the technique on that loader figured out. What works best is once you put it on, and put the clip in: push the first round into the mag. then push the rest in two at a time, until you are at the lat one. then you can put the last one in. Change clips. Repeat. Doing this it takes me about a minute to load a mag with them which, though still kinda slow, is a vast improvement in putting the bullets in one at a time.
I'll call it the "Rake Method" Your fingers "rake" in a round or two off the mag at a time. :wink: :D

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Murph wrote:
Chase The hero wrote:Ok i got the technique on that loader figured out. What works best is once you put it on, and put the clip in: push the first round into the mag. then push the rest in two at a time, until you are at the lat one. then you can put the last one in. Change clips. Repeat. Doing this it takes me about a minute to load a mag with them which, though still kinda slow, is a vast improvement in putting the bullets in one at a time.
I'll call it the "Rake Method" Your fingers "rake" in a round or two off the mag at a time. :wink: :D
now i feel special. :D
Kommander wrote:
Well they are both tasty

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:09 pm

Murph wrote:I'll call it the "Rake Method" Your fingers "rake" in a round or two off the mag at a time. :wink: :D
As opposed to the StripLULA, which has the "zip-zip-zip" method. :mrgreen:

You guys with your commie guns...

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 am

I try to keep at least 1,000 rnds of 5.56 on strippers in ammo can(s)....... now I've got to get one of those stripLULAs! :D

Murph- I'm loving these Tactical Tuesdays :)

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Wed May 05, 2010 2:10 am

I always try to keep all my mags loaded. Really hard when bravo or someplace does the $5 mag sale or the $9 pmag sale.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:12 pm

So I finally got my hands on a StripLULA... The thing is hands down the most useful AR accessory EVAR!!111! :D

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:27 pm

My big fear is slicing open some fingers on the striper clip, is there a SureFire<tm> way of preventing that?
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Itoz wrote:My big fear is slicing open some fingers on the striper clip, is there a SureFire<tm> way of preventing that?
The ones I've used haven't been sharp, and the strip lula keeps you from touching in while you are stuffing the mags.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Murph wrote:
Necrodamus wrote:Strip LULA is only available in .223... no AK no FAL :(
Yup, those are my findings too. It's a shame. :(
Went on a search for something for 5.45 but FWIW: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=455301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; FN FAL.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”