Took my CCW course today

Training questions, approaches and reports

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Took my CCW course today

Post by Bearcat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:42 pm

It was 6 hours in all, 65 bucks + 10 more for a guy to do the fingerprint document. It was a Utah license, which covers 29 states for those wondering, and I didn't have to qualify with a gun or take a written test. Which, I think should be mandatory to get a license because there were at least 3 people who had never fired a gun before! :shock: I was definitely the youngest there, majority was men over 50 with a few wives. I really didn't learn anything I didn't already know from my father and you guys. So it was more of a refresher safety, operation and legallity course which isn't really a bad thing. Just pretty boring. One thing I did learn is that it is actually legal to open carry in Ohio but isn't reccomended, go figure :? . I can't wait to turn 21 next month and send my papers in. Now I need to decide what gun to carry so I can get a good holster. On a side note, I'm gone for a few hours and totally miss trifecta troller day, wtf happened?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Dexion1619

Re: Took my CCW course today

Post by Dexion1619 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Congrats on the course! Wish my CCW was honered in 29 other states! Lol.
Dude, is that a turkey or a dinosaur?!?!

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:47 pm

Dexion1619 wrote:Congrats on the course! Wish my CCW was honered in 29 other states! Lol.
Thanks! All you need to do is find a certified Utah instructor and send the stuff in.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

MrMendigo
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Army of Darkness, and The Evil Dead,
Shawn of the dead, ect.

Post by MrMendigo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Congrats on finishing your course. Trust me you didn't miss much with the trolls. I personally think it was one guy just blowing a Sunday afternoon by making a bunch of stupid accounts and remarks. I think yours was time well spent.

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:55 pm

MrMendigo wrote:Congrats on finishing your course. Trust me you didn't miss much with the trolls. I personally think it was one guy just blowing a Sunday afternoon by making a bunch of stupid accounts and remarks. I think yours was time well spent.
Thanks, and I agree.

dmaxd03

Post by dmaxd03 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:59 pm

I have heard of very few good CCW courses (req for permit). Unless an instructor goes out of his way to add to the course, the law required curriculem was put together by politicians not professionals. The course I just took, given by the local sherriffs dept, (free for military) was not very informative. This is not to criticise the sherrifs dept or the instructor, as he did add in extra non required information, its just the law governed requirements are stupid. No really, did you know you should store your pistol broken down, locked up with mags unloaded and seperately locked ammo. Unbelieveable.

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:14 pm

dmaxd03 wrote:No really, did you know you should store your pistol broken down, locked up with mags unloaded and seperately locked ammo. Unbelieveable.
Actually, you should keep each half of the pistol in a different house. And I'll assume by separately locked ammo you mean locked up in a safety deposit box at a bank on a different continent. That's what I do. Ya know, for safety.

Bearcat -

Yes, OC is legal in Ohio, but an interesting caveat is that apparently a vehicle is the same as a cover garment, because you have to have your CCW to open car in a car. Buddy of mine there has informed me that it's acceptability varies drastically depending on the location.

Also, congrats on your CCW. What all guns might you be looking to carry?
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:33 pm

My course (NC) was good.
Eight hours with one hour of range time.
The range time made me nervous, 20 people in the class and only about 5-6 that knew what they were doing.
The girl next to me kept her finger on the trigger even when swinging around to look at everyone else...
and her muzzle followed her gaze. The second time she did this I stopped and politely asked her to maintain control.
She and her boyfriend seemed pissed at me the rest of the day. Oh well, I would rather have people pissed at me rather than a bullet in me.

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Power Fail wrote:
dmaxd03 wrote:No really, did you know you should store your pistol broken down, locked up with mags unloaded and seperately locked ammo. Unbelieveable.
Actually, you should keep each half of the pistol in a different house. And I'll assume by separately locked ammo you mean locked up in a safety deposit box at a bank on a different continent. That's what I do. Ya know, for safety.

Bearcat -

Yes, OC is legal in Ohio, but an interesting caveat is that apparently a vehicle is the same as a cover garment, because you have to have your CCW to open car in a car. Buddy of mine there has informed me that it's acceptability varies drastically depending on the location.

Also, congrats on your CCW. What all guns might you be looking to carry?
Thanks. I can't believe they actually said it, I guess a safe isn't safe enough :roll:. I am looking really hard at the ruger sp101 in .357 with a 3" bbl and hammer. I may have to have a gunsmith polish the action a little though, because in my experience, ruger triggers tend to be on the stiff side OTB.
Necrodamus wrote:My course (NC) was good.
The range time made me nervous, 20 people in the class and only about 5-6 that knew what they were doing.
The girl next to me kept her finger on the trigger even when swinging around to look at everyone else...
and her muzzle followed her gaze. The second time she did this I stopped and politely asked her to maintain control.
She and her boyfriend seemed pissed at me the rest of the day. Oh well, I would rather have people pissed at me rather than a bullet in me.
Yeah, that's one thing I'm glad I didn't have to deal with. If I had, I would have asked to be last on the range if at all possible.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:53 pm

Bearcat wrote: I didn't have to qualify with a gun or take a written test. Which, I think should be mandatory to get a license because there were at least 3 people who had never fired a gun before!
That is why Louisiana no longer recognizes non-resident permits from states like Utah and Florida. That and a lot of people were getting denied permits in Louisiana and going to Florida to get them instead.

JGWERD
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by JGWERD » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Necrodamus wrote:My course (NC) was good.
The class I took in NC was pretty informative, but I was pretty surprised when a few people in the class had never fired a gun before. Everyone else in the class was so surprised that I could hit the target accurately from 3 yards away.... :lol:

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:57 pm

A Utah license is sought out a lot in MA-its recognized in 29 states, so you can legally carry. I need to get mine before next summer. I know that GOAL (A MA 2nd amendment org) offers them on occasion-you may want to check your local states for the same offerings.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Total suck fest for you guys, Here in SD we go to the court house, fill out some paperwork, slide them 10-15 bucks (dont remember cost) and walk out with a temp, a week later the hard card comes in the mail...

and ours is honored in 29 states also.
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

Wastelander

Post by Wastelander » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:47 pm

driftking777 wrote:Total suck fest for you guys, Here in SD we go to the court house, fill out some paperwork, slide them 10-15 bucks (dont remember cost) and walk out with a temp, a week later the hard card comes in the mail...

and ours is honored in 29 states also.
Total suck fest for you guys--I can just tuck my gun away beneath a shirt and be set. That's only recognized in 2 other states, though :P

Congratulations on taking your CCW class--I was planning on taking mine Saturday but some monetary issues have come up, so now I have to wait. That said, I really do only want the class so I can carry within 1000ft of schools and into restaurants that serve alcohol, as well as in 33 other states :). I have to say that I am surprised that you didn't have to shoot at all, though, since I would have thought that being able to shoot would sort of be a requirement, even if you just had to sign a paper saying you have a certain amount of range time under your belt.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:20 am

Oh well, I would rather have people pissed at me rather than a bullet in me.
I was very nearly-as in 18" away, very nearly-shot at a local range six weeks ago. Having people's feelings hurt is much better than getting hit with a .357 magnum.

KY's class consists of roughly seven hours total of classroom time, and a required shooting test. The standard for that test is 11 out of 20 in the black on a B27 silhouette. 90% of that target is a scoring zone. The range we did the class at only had two lanes, which was a good thing. Many, many people in this class had no training at all, and to the instructor's credit, they stressed getting training somewhere (even if it wasn't with them) over and over again. The permit is just the permit. Its up to the permit holder to be qualified to do so.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yale

Post by yale » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:56 am

Bearcat wrote: One thing I did learn is that it is actually legal to open carry in Ohio but isn't reccomended, go figure :? .
Actually, Open Carry is legal in more than 40 States. Different states have different rules like licensing and registration requirements. A good place to learn about Open Carry is http://www.opencarry.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Louisiana is an open carry state with no permit required.
Steve
Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
http://www.laopencarry.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Haji wrote: I was very nearly-as in 18" away, very nearly-shot at a local range six weeks ago. Having people's feelings hurt is much better than getting hit with a .357 magnum.
Holy crap dude, dodged a bullet on that one! :shock: How the hell did someone ND a freaking revolver?!?!? Heavy/long trigger pull plus a swing out cylinder... I guess they really aren’t Idiot proof :cry:
Dude, is that a turkey or a dinosaur?!?!

Patriot Pirate

Post by Patriot Pirate » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:07 pm

I just took the Utah 2 hour course for Out-of-State. gives me 9 states not covered by my state

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Patriot Pirate wrote:I just took the Utah 2 hour course for Out-of-State. gives me 9 states not covered by my state
How'd you do a 2 hour course?

Patriot Pirate

Post by Patriot Pirate » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:36 pm

I don't know, that's all that was required by our Instructor here at Midwest Guns. 2 hours-$100. and got our paperwork. Sent it off and that was it.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:44 pm

yale wrote:
Bearcat wrote: One thing I did learn is that it is actually legal to open carry in Ohio but isn't reccomended, go figure :? .
Actually, Open Carry is legal in more than 40 States. Different states have different rules like licensing and registration requirements. A good place to learn about Open Carry is http://www.opencarry.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Louisiana is an open carry state with no permit required.
Steve
Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
http://www.laopencarry.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think i remember you from that site, yale. I was on there for a while when I was younger. I wasn't very active though because the forum was kinda slow.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 pm

I am happy with Louisiana's concealed carry requirements. About nine hours of class time, shooting at the end. Class covers gun safety, operation, terminology, etc in the first half. Court cases, when to shoot or not shoot, and laws regarding interactions with the law and where to carry and not to carry. LA license is reciprocal in 38 other states (last I check, may have changed August 15th though).

The shooting test is unclear. I don't know what the hit requirements are. At the course they say you have to hit in an 8x11 inch piece of paper just to add some pressure. I think the requirement is actually to get over half in the black. Have to shoot 48 rounds. 12 at 15 feet using sights, 12 at 10 feet looking over the sights, 12 at 5 feet shooting from a retention position, 12 at 30 feet aiming for the head. The course I took also threw in a fun shot with using the last 2 rounds in a 50 round box to hit the little man on the B-27.

The license used to cost $100 for four years and $50 for two years but was recently changed to $125 for five years and got rid of the two year license. 1000 foot buffer zones for school zones was abolished. You can carry in restaurants/bars where alcohol is less than 50% of the sales (a tip for knowing that is if they allow smoking, then you can't carry there because it is a bar). There is some legal bullshit about carrying within 2500 feet of a parade. My instructor had the best solution which was to just avoid New Orleans. You can be a block over and not know there is a parade going on. Also can't carry within 2500 feet of a state sanctioned gathering. This one is a tricky rule because how do you know if the gathering is state sanctioned? The hint my instructor gave is that in order to get the permit to hold the event, the organizers have to provide public toilets. I.E. if there are port-o-potties everywhere, don't carry there.

The course I took was at my work. $125 for the course (covers all the paperwork, notary, range time, etc). All that is required after the course is finger prints ($10 at state police HQ on the electronic AFIS finger print machine). Then the application can be mailed in and if it is complete and you background check is clear you shall be issued your license in three to six weeks. During the Obama scare it was taking up to nine weeks because of the amount of applications but now it is averaging about four weeks.

Renewal is required after the five years have passed. The renewal course is four and a half hours and just covers new laws and the shooting.

Like I said above, I like Louisiana's concealed carry license process. It helps to filter out some of the dumbasses that occasionally apply for the license. I used to think everyone should have a gun and be allowed to carry it where ever and however they want. After spending some time behind the counter of a shooting range and seeing some of the quality citizens that come to shoot and seeing how many have no idea how to operate their gun or hit a target, my view have changed. I will stop there to keep from getting into politics.

Sorry for the long post. I am a bit wired today.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:20 pm

I dont think there is a scoring requirement for NC.
There were two girls that had the cute little pink Walther P22s (one of those was the one that almost shot me).
B-27 targets at 3 yds and some hits werent even in the black... scarey.

The fun part of my class was this was on a private range and the owner came by.
He was carrying his "28 Thompson with .22 conversion, a Colt w/Giggle switch in .22 conversion, and a silenced Ruger MKII.
I got to shoot them all.

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:55 pm

In NC we do have a shooting test but I would say the class is more focused on making sure people learn applicable law than that they learn how to shoot well or even handle a gun safely (although this does get some treatment). Our instructor wouldn't teach people who hadn't fired a gun before - he'd refer them to a basic handgun course first, but that is his company's policy not the state's.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

Return to “Training”