a bullet hole in my ceiling

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

KnightoftheRoc

Re: a bullet hole in my ceiling

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:40 pm

austin93906 wrote:boy, i expected just to get called an asshat a bunch of times, instead it turned into a colorful debate.
the moral of the story is be careful with your guns lol
now we can all get along :D

oh wait, forgot this was ZS :lol:

Asshat!

There, feel better now? :lol: :lol: :lol:
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

austin93906
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, zombieland, etc

Post by austin93906 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:08 am

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
austin93906 wrote:boy, i expected just to get called an asshat a bunch of times, instead it turned into a colorful debate.
the moral of the story is be careful with your guns lol
now we can all get along :D

oh wait, forgot this was ZS :lol:

Asshat!

There, feel better now? :lol: :lol:
lol, very much so indeed my good sir :lol:
Braxton wrote:So, How does it feel to be Batman? An obsolete rifle using, shingle shooting Batman, but Batman non the less.
gelgoog wrote:Hey....this is America, if at first you do not succeed keep being lazy until you get bitched at enough that you eventually get it right.
Why u should use Snap Caps

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:47 am

austin93906 wrote:firearms stay in the safe, locked. i have to be asked to unlock the safe, even if my parents want their sensitive documents from the safe.
all it took was one dropped round, and someone seeing a place to put it. i neglected to let anyone know that they were all dummy rounds. to anyone else, it would look like a drawer of ammo, seemingly the right place to drop a round they found on my floor.
Why aren't your parents able to access their sensitive documents without asking you? Did they ask to put them in your gun safe?
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:50 am

In another thread, you discussed your parents' ambivalence about you owning firearms, and your father's annoyance that you brought firearms into his house. I sympathize, because my immediate family are kind of hoplophobic too - though I moved out of my parents' house long before I purchased any firearms. I wondered how your ND had affected their attitudes about gun ownership in general, or your gun ownership in particular.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

austin93906

Post by austin93906 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:40 am

About the documents, yes, they asked me to store them in my safe.

As far as their feelings about me owning firearms, in some odd way the ND actually made them a little more relaxed because i prove to them i react responsibly if anything were to happen.
Braxton wrote:So, How does it feel to be Batman? An obsolete rifle using, shingle shooting Batman, but Batman non the less.
gelgoog wrote:Hey....this is America, if at first you do not succeed keep being lazy until you get bitched at enough that you eventually get it right.

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:38 am

Kinda funny, I skimmed this post, then when I was outta town, when I was home on leave back in late January, I stopped at a gun shop I have never been to before and saw the Snap Caps I proceeded to purchase some for both calibers of weapons I currently own(9mm & 40S&W) . Damn now I think I have to get a 3rd (.45ACP)...

Just wanted to +1 the whole Snap Caps thing a couple months after I remember I have some. and Thanks for bringing it up, sorry about the hole in your roof...
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.
Brownies/Star Crunch/AR15

Azraeleternity
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later (haven't seen many)

Post by Azraeleternity » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:25 pm

I have a similar instance in which there was no property damage.

My dad was getting out his rifles to check them in our house in the mountains, and he pulls out his .30-06 and is making sure the scope hasn't been damaged, no damage to the barrel or stock, then pulls back the lever and out pops a round. "Huh..." And he proceeds to clear out the other 5 rounds from the rifle. Apparently those rounds had been sitting with one in the chamber for about twelve years (since the last time he went hunting).

Thank God for safeties. >_>
ZSC:015 North-California/Bay Area
Jeriah wrote:"I'm fucking perfect. I'm a god among men. I'm like Charlie Sheen's penis if it could hold a gun."
Y.T. wrote:my first year at Burning Man I brought Twinkies.
those things were like fucking gold.
I could've bartered for a frickin car with Twinkies.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:09 am

I think the lesson learned here is that, in regard to the rules of firearms safety, the redundancy is key. The reason that nobody got hurt when the OP had his ND, is that the weapon was pointed in a safe direction. (In a 2-story house, if you're on the top floor, up is the safest direction; on the ground floor, down at the ground would be. I think.) That's why we have multiple rules of safety: for when one fucks up.

Whether or not every shooter will eventually have an ND is a pointless and silly question; clearly it's a common problem, but it's absurd to claim to know that not shooter has lived their whole life without having one. I'm sure people go through life without an ND, just as I'm sure there are people who have gone through life without watching Star Wars. This is unimportant. My takeaway is this:

Whether or not you will have a negligent discharge during your lifetime, it is best to assume that you will. The reason for this is simple: if you assume that at some point you will fuck up and accidentally (negligently) discharge your firearm, you had damned well better make sure it's ALWAYS pointed in a safe direction. If you never have your ND, well, on your deathbed you can throw yourself a little party. But if you DO have one, hopefully this attitude will ensure that you had the weapon pointed in a safe direction at the time.

If you're reading this and thinking, "That's bullshit, Jeriah, I don't need to assume I'm going to have a negligent discharge to remind me to keep my weapon in a safe direction. I'm fucking perfect. I'm a god among men. I'm like Charlie Sheen's penis if it could hold a gun. I always keep my weapon pointed in a safe direction AND I'm also always so careful that I will never have a negligent discharge." That's great. Whatever attitude keeps you safe is fine. Just try not to throw out your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Jeriah wrote:I'm like Charlie Sheen's penis if it could hold a gun.
:shock:

AK_Stick
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead
28 days/weeks later
Shaun of the Dead
Zombie Land

Post by AK_Stick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 pm

BobtheBreaker wrote:
ROCK6 wrote: I've seen expert, combat veterans have ND's. I don't care how careful you are, if you spend enough time around anything, it's much easier to get complacent and make mistakes. There is not such thing as an "accidental discharge", only "negligent discharges";...
Machines always fail...as sure as you and I will die, a machine will fail.

BS, I've had a AD, and it was not negligent on my part.

My M-240H failed to fully re-cock after a test fire while in OIF. The gun later fired, without being touched by anyone and with the safety engaged.

Tell me, how is that ND? I did everything exactly as per the manual of arms, and many other soldiers experienced the same issue, which lead to the US military no longer issuing British 7.62x51mm because our 240's and their FN MAG's are set up slightly different, and that difference was causing AD's across the theater.

To the OP, the easy way to make snap caps out of a previously fired brass, is to drill out the primer pocket, and thread the hole. After you've got it threaded, screw in a white plastic screw, and viola snap cap. Its how I make snap caps for my exotic calibers (9.3x74R 416 Rigby etc)
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go

AK_Stick
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead
28 days/weeks later
Shaun of the Dead
Zombie Land

Post by AK_Stick » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:05 pm

On the calling the police etc.

In reality, though very loud in a room in the house, you will more than likely not hear a gunshot from outside, if you do, it usually doesn't sound like a gunshot.

I've fired in a house, I've been outside a house and heard shots from inside, and I've heard suicides inside a small metal container in Iraq. Most times, its a loud pop, and nothing like a gunshot. Unless you're in an apartment or something, most people aren't going to notice. If I did shoot a hole in my own roof, I'd never call the cops.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go

austin93906

Post by austin93906 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:19 pm

AK_Stick wrote:On the calling the police etc.

In reality, though very loud in a room in the house, you will more than likely not hear a gunshot from outside, if you do, it usually doesn't sound like a gunshot.

I've fired in a house, I've been outside a house and heard shots from inside, and I've heard suicides inside a small metal container in Iraq. Most times, its a loud pop, and nothing like a gunshot. Unless you're in an apartment or something, most people aren't going to notice. If I did shoot a hole in my own roof, I'd never call the cops.

although this is over a year old, ill reply and let ya know, it was heard by my neighbors two houses over, who were inside their house at the time it was fired. i went outside to check if people came out and they were outside and said they thought they heard a gunshot. they said it was louder than me firing my potato cannon, which is loud as hell to begin with.

palehorse1301

Post by palehorse1301 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:03 pm

austin93906 wrote:although this is over a year old, ill reply and let ya know, it was heard by my neighbors two houses over, who were inside their house at the time it was fired. i went outside to check if people came out and they were outside and said they thought they heard a gunshot. they said it was louder than me firing my potato cannon, which is loud as hell to begin with.
"Honey, what was that booming noise?"

"Oh, probably just the neighbor's son firing off his artillery again." :lol:

austin93906

Post by austin93906 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:16 pm

palehorse1301 wrote:
austin93906 wrote:although this is over a year old, ill reply and let ya know, it was heard by my neighbors two houses over, who were inside their house at the time it was fired. i went outside to check if people came out and they were outside and said they thought they heard a gunshot. they said it was louder than me firing my potato cannon, which is loud as hell to begin with.
"Honey, what was that booming noise?"

"Oh, probably just the neighbor's son firing off his artillery again." :lol:

im sure it went something like that lol.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:07 am

The average person's response to an unusual sound is to stop, and see if it happens again- if it doesn't. the average person writes it off and goes back to whatever they were doing. Even people who go out to see what's up, like your neighbors did, will give up looking if nothing happens to reward the effort.

I'm betting that, had you stayed in the house and avoided doing anything to attract further attention, no reports would have been filed by anyone about anything. It would likely get written off as a car backfire, if any further thought was given to it at all. but, I give you credit for being a responsible gun owner and citizen, even if you got a little more responsible than was probably needed.

An AD would be any discharge of a weapon that is not intended. in AKstick's example, it would be no one's fault, at an operator level at least. And, believe it or not, some accidents really ARE "nobody's fault". But, they are still accidents, as in, not on purpose. Doesn't mean the guy holding the weapon was negligent.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

run faster

Post by run faster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:05 pm

i would have crapped my pants!!!

my giant ear lobes must absorb sound waves lol, my mosin didnt do anything but made me wonder why it was so loud....then i reached up to pull my muffs off and they werent there lol. granted that was outside

austin93906

a bullet hole in my ceiling

Post by austin93906 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:23 am

My left ear is still f***ed to this day from the muzzle being right next to it when it went off. I cant understand what people are saying if theyre standing to my left, i have to turn and face them to be able to understand them. I mean i can hear that theyre talking, but its kinda muffled

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:29 am

Jeriah wrote: If you never have your ND, well, on your deathbed you can throw yourself a little party.

If you're reading this and thinking, "That's bullshit, Jeriah, I don't need to assume I'm going to have a negligent discharge to remind me to keep my weapon in a safe direction. I'm fucking perfect. I'm a god among men. I'm like Charlie Sheen's penis if it could hold a gun. I always keep my weapon pointed in a safe direction AND I'm also always so careful that I will never have a negligent discharge." That's great. Whatever attitude keeps you safe is fine. Just try not to throw out your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

Might as well use the same condescending language towards people that managed to drive cars and not run a pedestrian down or feed a baby without drowning or suffocating them.

officeninja
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by officeninja » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:46 am

I solved the mystery, the Bullet Fairy was actually at one point in time my little brother. About 10 years ago i lived with a bunch of friends and all of us own multiple firearms. As there was never a time when someone wasnt home 90% of them were not locked up but were in fact hanging on the wall, in drawers, on the toilet tank... etc, well one day my roommate busted the little bastard running around and putting rounds in the chamber, keep in mind he was 20 at the time. All in all he had loaded at least 12 firearms without the owners knowledge, so yes, the Bullet Fairy is real and a real bitch. Oh he seriously go an ass beating to end all ass beatings, from an external standpoint i bet it looked like he was getting "Jumped In" to a gang, he has however learned his lesson and even more important, no one got hurt.
THE PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE MASCOT

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:05 am

officeninja wrote:I solved the mystery, the Bullet Fairy was actually at one point in time my little brother. About 10 years ago i lived with a bunch of friends and all of us own multiple firearms. As there was never a time when someone wasnt home 90% of them were not locked up but were in fact hanging on the wall, in drawers, on the toilet tank... etc, well one day my roommate busted the little bastard running around and putting rounds in the chamber, keep in mind he was 20 at the time. All in all he had loaded at least 12 firearms without the owners knowledge, so yes, the Bullet Fairy is real and a real bitch. Oh he seriously go an ass beating to end all ass beatings, from an external standpoint i bet it looked like he was getting "Jumped In" to a gang, he has however learned his lesson and even more important, no one got hurt.
If I may ask, What in the fuck was he trying to do?
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

squinty

Post by squinty » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:12 am

You were kind. I think I'd have foregone any sort of ass beating in favor of just telling him to live somewhere else, and never letting him in the house - or any house of mine - again.
Story also highlights the need to keep your guns secure not just against theft, but against fuckwittery from the people you "trust." KCOR had a similar tale - a real doozy - a few months back.

officeninja
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by officeninja » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 pm

[/quote]
If I may ask, What in the fuck was he trying to do?[/quote]

Douchebag thought it would be a funny joke (my brother is an idiot) he has since been "re-habilitated" and is now mostly okay.
THE PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE MASCOT

jessy27

Post by jessy27 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Heimdall,
First rule my dad taught me "there is no such thing as a unloaded gun" :)

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon May 07, 2012 4:27 pm

First rule my Dad taught me was, "Do not necro 9 month old threads."

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”