All Purpose "Help me pick a gun for my budget" thread.

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

All Purpose "Help me pick a gun for my budget" thread.

Post by jamoni » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:54 am

This thread is for those wanting to be told what gun to buy. Every day or so, someone pops up with "I have $xxx dollars to spend, what gun should I get?"
If that's you, this thread is for you!
This can work two ways: You can request help, putting down a price, purpose, and other information (IE I live in California, I want to use iron sights only, I have toe-thumbs), and others can suggest options for you.
OR
You can post info for rigs that have worked well for you, including the same info.
Assume that the cost must cover not only the weapon, but necessary accessories and a reasonable stock of ammo.

I'll start:
Less than $300, for plinking:
My favorite .22 is a Ruger 10/22, which can often be had for less than $150 used. A handfull of spare mags will run you about $10-$15 a piece, so call it 5 at $10, and that brings the total to $200. You can spend the rest on ammo, more mags, cleaning kit, or a scope. This'll give you a light handy carbine that's fun at the range and could double as a survival gun in a pinch.

Less than $300, for home defense, pistol:
Used S&W Model 36 revolver in .38 Special, cost me $250. Spend the rest on ammo and cleaning kit.

<$300, home defense, shotgun:
Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge, for ~$200, spend the rest on ammo and a cleaning kit.

Get the idea?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

fixinto

Re: All Purpose "Help me pick a gun for my budget" thread.

Post by fixinto » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:01 am

there is much wisdom in the post of jamoni

bkebs

Post by bkebs » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:31 am

Great Idea for a thread.

Sub 300

Plinking
10/22 is the go to because it can be so heavily modified. For simple fun a Henry 22 leveraction is a blast.

Handgun

if you wan to go semi a Ruger P series or an older steel frame smith can be found sub 300

Home defense

Mossy 500

Fighting rifle

SKS

I believe all the guns mentions are legal about anywhere except the Pseries due to the mag capacity.

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59 am

Great handgun for plinking or home defense or carry:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/3104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Home defense or SHTF rifle:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/SAI-762.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CG

Post by CG » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:03 am

I have a very similar question. I'm looking to get my CHL soon. Which handguns (categories or specific models) should I test out before deciding on one?

I am female, but I have guy-sized hands. I can aim with a bit of kick. :-)

My budget is going to be...not a whole lot. Maybe $300 or $400.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:19 am

CG wrote:I have a very similar question. I'm looking to get my CHL soon. Which handguns (categories or specific models) should I test out before deciding on one?

Taurus Model 605 2" Revolver loaded with .38 Special Golden Sabers.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:01 pm

CG wrote:I have a very similar question. I'm looking to get my CHL soon. Which handguns (categories or specific models) should I test out before deciding on one?

I really like my Model 36 S&W. See above post.
I got it for CCW, though I have yet to get my card. The only real downside is low capacity and slower reloads. The upside is, I can't think of any automatics in that price range I'd bet my life on.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Have you thought about how you will carry it? Women have a tougher time than men.

I don't see how you'll get a S&W 36 in your budget unless you find one used, which may not be difficult.

The Taurus 605, you could find new, and I agree it would be pretty decent. The only drawback is the weight of 24 ounces. Thats why how you plan to carry it is very important. I don't find it comfortable to carry any gun that heavy all day but I carry IWB which you wouldn't be doing it.

I know I will get some hate for saying this, but a Ruger LCP is really a pretty good alternative. It weighs only 9 ounces. It has two more rounds than wheel gun, and a smaller profile.

This is what people are really going to hate:

If you look at chronograph tables and penetration tests, .38 spl cartridge is only a little bit more effective than .380 when fired from a barrel of 2" or less. In a four inch barrel it is a different story, but in 2" or less many self-defense cartridges deliver about the same energy as .380 cartridges, but they do it with more recoil because no recoil energy is transfered into the action of the pistol, it all goes into your palm.

Yes, the best .38 spl cartridges are better even in snubbies than the best .380, but not by much.

Personally I consider either gun to really only be a back-up gun. My EDC is either an XD SC .40 or a Kahr PM9, but those are both outside your price range. If you could stretch your buget a bit or find one used you might consider a Glock 26. Very good size/power/capacity compromise.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

Southron Boy

Post by Southron Boy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Consider a Makarov. Eight in the magazine, one in the spout gives you 50% more rounds without a reload than a revolver. The 9x18 round is ballistically similar to the .38. Dead nuts reliable, if a bit heavy. It helps the crappy little military sights if you touch them up with a little flourescant nail polish.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... &groupid=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might also consider a CZ-82. It fires the same round as the Mak, but with a 12 round magazine. One in the chamber and a reload gives you half a box of ammo, ready to use. The CZ-82 has ambidextrous controls, and if you're left-handed, like I am, that's nice. It has better sights than the Mak, as well.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... &groupid=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both of these weapons come in well under your budget, and 9x18 ammo is easier to find now than I've ever seen it.

Having said all this, I carry a Kel-Tec PF11 that I got used at a gun show for $250ish. The P-9s are out there at about the same price, are noticeably smaller and carry 8+1 of 9mm. My PF-11 is no fun to shoot though, I imagine the P-9 is even worse, that's why I didn't buy one.

grennels

Post by grennels » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:47 pm

I recently bought a Norinco 1911 at a gun show for only a very few dollars more than
these Makarovs. Look around.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

CG

Post by CG » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:50 pm

J.C. wrote:Have you thought about how you will carry it? Women have a tougher time than men.
I normally wear long, loose skirts as much as possible. I've seen holsters that hold it effectively right in front of the crotch that look like they'd work well with skirts. My tops are usually rather fitted, so that wouldn't work as well.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:10 pm

Merovech's Budget Friendly Firearm List:

Home Defense:
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500
(Pick where you like your safety and let that make your decision)

Bug Out Pistol:
Ruger MKII or MKIII .22 Auto
(For hunting small game, ammo cost and ability to carry/store lots of ammo in a small space, and VERY light self defense)

Bug Out Rifle:
Used Mini-14
(Poor Man's AR-15, almost any pawn shop will have one. Keep the wood stock and go greyman with it.)

CCW:
Just about anything by North American Arms.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:34 pm

jamoni wrote: I can't think of any automatics in that price range I'd bet my life on.
Anything outside the first production run of Sigma's, which I understand had some problems, would seem a decent semi-auto for this purpose.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:11 pm

grennels wrote:I recently bought a Norinco 1911 at a gun show for only a very few dollars more than
these Makarovs. Look around.
Dang. Ya done good. I wish I'd find one in that price range.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's toNo the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

Driftertank
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Driftertank » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:40 pm

I ended up with an...interesting revolver a couple years ago.

After my GF had a gun stolen from her house, I didn't want her unarmed there when I wasn't around. Her stepdad gave her a little .22 pocket gun, but she had a broken arm at the time and I didn't like the idea of her trying to make a critical hit with a .22 with her bad arm. I did some looking around (small town, not a lot of gun stores) and came across an EAA "Windicator" .38 special 2" for about $225. I figured a relatively cheap and foolproof .38 was about right for something a gimp could use in a house where it might get stolen. I also figured I was getting about what I payed for: a low-life, poorly finished last-ditch gun that would "do the trick" and little else.

So I was rather pleasantly surprised when my first range trip revealed that this "Paperweight" handled nicely, with a comfortable grip and smooth action....and turned out to be something of a tack-driver! In spite of the fixed, low-profile sights, I found I could hit soda cans consistently from 50 yards away.

I don't shoot it a lot, since the frame panels seem to be press-pinned together, meaning I think cleaning inside the action will require a gunsmith. Besides, I have my .45 for my constant companion. The little .38 is currently in the posession of a lady-friend of mine.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Thought it ended up being a pretty good deal for a brand-new, concealable SD pistol.
Call me old fashioned, but I like big bullets. If you're gonna shoot, hit quickly, hit accurately, and hit hard.

tarafore

Post by tarafore » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Be sure to test out Glocks. Even though new Glocks are more expensive, used Glocks can often be found for that price. Summit Gun Broker has Glock 23's, which are fairly concealable, for $330 + shipping + FFL fee, which still should come to maybe $375-385.

If you're looking for something smaller, check the Kel-Tec PF9 (7+1 shot, 9mm micro-pistol) and Kahr CW9 (basically the same thing). They're not good range guns, and I'd prefer not to use them for home defense, but the carry REALLY well.

You may be able to find a used Springfield XD in that price range, if you shop around.

You might want to check out the Smith & Wesson Sigma (but it's a little bit big for concealment) or the Kel-Tec P11 (smaller, can use up to 15 round magazines, but the trigger is awful).

cajun1964

Post by cajun1964 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:19 pm

I'm new here and this is my first post.

Find you a range that rents pistols... being a lady they may not even charge you for trying out several guns for your CHL(I know many is this are are like that for women that want to CHL). Find one you like to shoot and that looks like it make work for your mode of concealment then start looking for a used one.

That being said I carry a Glock 26 most of the time IWB or either a snubbie or a kel-tec P3 in a pocket.
Ruger makes a great snubbie in 38 or 357. Built like a tank and kind of heavy so may not be for you either.

Trying them out will save you a lot of problems trading up or down. What ever you get, practice, practice, practice.

fixinto

Post by fixinto » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59 pm

the cz82 is in that price range and I would trust it no problem, as it is my edc I in fact do trust it. Ammo is getting easier to come by and its a lot more accurate than me so far and as with most of cz's stuff it runs like a champ

cajun1964

Post by cajun1964 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:10 pm

That being said my answers are:
I think all these can be found used for the $300-$400 range or less

Home Defense: Rem 870

pistol: Ruger P series or wheel gun

Plinking: Ruger 10/22

Fighting rifle: SKS or mini 14/30

CG

Post by CG » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 am

cajun1964 wrote:I'm new here and this is my first post.

Find you a range that rents pistols... being a lady they may not even charge you for trying out several guns for your CHL(I know many is this are are like that for women that want to CHL). Find one you like to shoot and that looks like it make work for your mode of concealment then start looking for a used one.

Welcome, and that there is the reason why I want to pretty much have a list of what I want to try out. There is ONE range out here, and it's members only. I'll have to drive at least 2 hours, possibly 6, to get to a range where there might be more of a selection.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:43 am

In the NYC region, service revolvers with one exception are cheap and very careful shopping can net a decent one for maybe a c-note. I'm talking retired cops. The one exception is anything S+W 640ish as the snubnose concealed hammer .38 is rare. Anybody that retired with one wants to be buried with it, and not sell. The People's Republik has so many onerous laws most reasonable people are leaving the state rather than bother understanding the Byzantine rules and regulations.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:22 am

CG the big question here is are you willing to order a gun off the Internet. You will need to do so to get allot of these guns you are getting recommendations for, or at least to get them at anything approaching a reasonable price. Ordering off the internet will cost you money for both shipping and FFL fees. Combined these can run anywhere from $25 to $75 or even higher, however also keep in mind that you will not have to pay sales tax. To order off the internet first you need to find a gun store/FFL that is willing to do transfers. Then you find the gun you want and pay for it just like any other item you would on the internet. You then need to have your local FFL send a copy of their FFL to the place you bought the gun from. The internet gun dealer will then ship the gun to your local FFL. They will then call you and you will pick up the gun, filling out all the paperwork as if you had bought the gun from them, and paying the FFLs transfer fee at that time? Confused yet?

Since this is your first carry gun you may not want to go that route. Baring any local guns stores your going to have to deal with what they have in stock. A $400 price cealing is going to limit your choices. You best bet would probably be used Glocks, S&W M&Ps XDs, and S&W revolvers. Honestly I would visit some local stores, see what fits both your hands and your price range, and then come back here and tell us what you found.

If you do decide to take the internet plunge there are allot more options open to you. $400 is actually quite allot on the internet and you will probably be able to find a good gun for that amount. The ex comblock guns such as the Makarov and CZ-82 are certainly good guns for their price, but for the amount of money you have to work with there are better option available. The top four for me are the J&G Sig P6/225, J&G FM Hi-Power, Summit Gun Broker Glocks, and the J&G S&W revolvers. Of these four I have the Sig and it works very well. The only problem are extra mags, which cost more than most others do. However of those 4 it will be the best actual carry gun with a shorter barrel and thinner grip than any of the other automatics.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

CG

Post by CG » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 pm

If I could find the same model to test out, I would not be adverse to ordering that model online.

The only one I've held that I know the model on was the Springfield XDM - I made sure to note it because it was very comfortable in my hands. I haven't fired it though.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

cajun1964

Post by cajun1964 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:28 pm

CG wrote:
cajun1964 wrote:I'm new here and this is my first post.

Welcome, and that there is the reason why I want to pretty much have a list of what I want to try out. There is ONE range out here, and it's members only. I'll have to drive at least 2 hours, possibly 6, to get to a range where there might be more of a selection.
fair enough.. My highly partial answer is to try a glock 26 or 27. Don't forget to try some of the 380s too... Many won't agree with me but even a 22 is better than nada!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”