The Ak is a left handed weapon (my thoughts)

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

The Ak is a left handed weapon (my thoughts)

Post by AmirMortal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:13 pm

I hear a lot of people say that the AK family is not ergonomic, my thought is that it is ergonomic for lefties. Here are a couple of quick videos I made that demonstrate how this seemingly ungainly weapon may just be biased. I found that adding a Hogue pistol grip to my factory configured gun made a huge difference. I may get another selector lever and give that one a bit of filing to reduce sharp edges,

I recently was given a sling for my new SGL21 (Thanks DTOM, I mean, The Highwayman), and began experimenting with it this evening. I've found that for me it's fairly comfortable to carry muzzle down on the strong (left) side. The action of unslinging the weapon seems to work well if I grab the magazine with my left hand, then transition to my right hand on the mag with my left on the grip.
Linky 1
Linky 2
Linky 3

From this grip it is a simple motion of my thumb to move the safety lever to "off", followed by a short reach to the charging handle.
Linky 4

The magazine system is unarguably ambidextrous:
Linky 5 (NOT me, but this guy is awesome, and the motion is identical-just from the other side.)

For contrast, here is a right-handed instructor doing essentially the same operations
Link 6 (Obviously NOT me either)

These clips aren't here to say that I'm any good at this, but to illustrate how quickly this transition can be learned. This is just my Low Speed/High Drag ass doing this, imagine what someone who knew what they were doing could do. :lol:

ETA: Special thanks to DavePal for pointing me to the excellent deal I got on the rifle in the vids. :)

Also: Each video is shot from a starting point with the rifle slung, empty chamber, safety "On".

Edited again: Contrast video
Last edited by AmirMortal on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chadrules

Re: The Ak is a left handed weapon (my thoughts)

Post by chadrules » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:15 pm

i thought you meant it was left handed like a left handed cig.

MaxRite

Post by MaxRite » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:25 pm

Semi-related: whats so terribly not ergonomic about AKs anyway? I can agree that the sights arent perfect (although quite adequate), but thats easily fixed. And AK is a bit heavier... but ergonomics?
Image Image

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:25 pm

The ergonomics are definitely better for left handers.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:26 pm

MaxRite wrote:Semi-related: whats so terribly not ergonomic about AKs anyway? I can agree that the sights arent perfect (although quite adequate), but thats easily fixed. And AK is a bit heavier... but ergonomics?
Location of safety. Operation of safety. Location of charging handle. Reloading procedure.
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

MaxRite

Post by MaxRite » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:29 pm

DavePAL84 wrote:
MaxRite wrote:Semi-related: whats so terribly not ergonomic about AKs anyway? I can agree that the sights arent perfect (although quite adequate), but thats easily fixed. And AK is a bit heavier... but ergonomics?
Location of safety. Operation of safety. Location of charging handle. Reloading procedure.
I see. I guess its a matter of what you're used to.
Image Image

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 pm

MaxRite wrote:I see. I guess its a matter of what you're used to.
No, it's a matter of ergonomics:
an applied science that coordinates the design of devices, systems, and physical working conditions with the capacities and requirements of the worker.
Better ergos = easier and more comfortable manipulation and operation.

Oh, the AK ergos can be overcome, for sure. Plenty of examples of that. However, it's a matter of working around the bad ergonomics.
Dave Merrill

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:04 am

DavePAL84 wrote:
Well sure, there's that. but otherwise their very ergonomic.

:lol:
WWSD?

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:23 am

well as a Lefty, I love the AK from an ergonomics standpoint. Its easy for me to change mags, work the safety and the charging handle.

just my .02$
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:00 am

AmirMortal wrote:I recently was given a sling for my new SGL21 (Thanks DTOM, I mean, The Highwayman), and began experimenting with it this evening. I've found that for me it's fairly comfortable to carry muzzle down on the strong (left) side. The action of unslinging the weapon seems to work well if I grab the magazine with my left hand, then transition to my right hand on the mag with my left on the grip.
Linky 1
Linky 2
Linky 3
What happens when you need to transition to your secondary weapon system..?
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:04 am

Unorthodox wrote:
AmirMortal wrote:I recently was given a sling for my new SGL21 (Thanks DTOM, I mean, The Highwayman), and began experimenting with it this evening. I've found that for me it's fairly comfortable to carry muzzle down on the strong (left) side. The action of unslinging the weapon seems to work well if I grab the magazine with my left hand, then transition to my right hand on the mag with my left on the grip.
Linky 1
Linky 2
Linky 3
If you have a proper sling, you do it the same way as any other rifle....
Dave Merrill

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:08 am

Unorthodox wrote:What happens when you need to transition to your secondary weapon system..?
Fuck it, throw it? :lol:

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:11 am

DavePAL84 wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:
Linky 1
Linky 2
Linky 3
If you have a proper sling, you do it the same way as any other rifle....
Not with what he was doing. Plus, it looked like a 2 point to me. Don't you drive with a 2 point sling, Dave?
Fuck it, throw it? :lol:
Elite Team Fighting!
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:14 am

Well I like the changing handle right where it is whether I go southpaw or not. I feel as though I get better leverage on it then say a FAL. My krebs also has nice switch that manipulates the safety right above the grip. I also don't find mag changes to be all that slow...sure its not as fast as a AR, but its faster then say my HK91.
Mine also came with good peep sights and rails. Frankly it does everything I want in a rifle (accuracy could be a tad better, but lets not get into that).

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:15 am

Unorthodox wrote:Not with what he was doing. Plus, it looked like a 2 point to me. Don't you drive with a 2 point sling, Dave?
Yes, I use an advanced two point. What was shown in the video looked like a regular milspec sling to me.
Dave Merrill

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:08 am

DavePAL84 wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:Not with what he was doing. Plus, it looked like a 2 point to me. Don't you drive with a 2 point sling, Dave?
Yes, I use an advanced two point. What was shown in the video looked like a regular milspec sling to me.
Yeah, it is. I'm making due with what I've got for the moment, but I will accept donations or trades. :)

I'm also open to suggestions.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:28 am

AmirMortal wrote:
DavePAL84 wrote:
Yeah, it is. I'm making due with what I've got for the moment, but I will accept donations or trades. :)

I'm also open to suggestions.
Either Vickers VCAS (Padded Model), or Viking Tactics Two-Point (Padded Model.

This is what you seek. If you're looking for a sling specifically for CQB-type situations or room clearing, a single point might be a better option, but for an all-around tactical rifle sling, the VTAC or the VCAS is the best option.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:28 am

AmirMortal wrote:I'm also open to suggestions.
VTAC or VCAS, with a setup allowing the rear to mount to the top rear of the buttstock.
Dave Merrill

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 am

DavePAL84 wrote:
VTAC or VCAS, with a setup allowing the rear to mount to the top rear of the buttstock.
May I ask why to the top rear of the buttstock and not to the end plate Ala ASAP/DD/Noveske/Tango Down?
ImageImage

spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:36 am

You'll find a a few rifles seem to work better as a lefty. The M1 Garand and M1A are some other examples. The charging handles are easier to manipulate during the regular course of fire and the safeties/mag release are centrally mounted.

Of course, the problem is that when you sling up as a lefty those fixed charging handles tend to either ding you in the nuts/spleen up front or the kidneys in the back. :lol:

Hoot Harrington

Post by Hoot Harrington » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:33 am

Well wasn't Kalashnikov himself left handed?

Noven

Post by Noven » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:16 am

Another +1 for the AK for Lefties. I am left-handed and the ergo's rock =)

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:39 am

AKs are only unergonomic if you try to run it like an AR15 :?

Safeties for example: on an AR you can flick the safety on and off. On an AK you take the safety off when you are holding the rifle ready, the only time the safey is on is when it is slung over your shoulder. Train to disengage the safety when you unsling the rifle and you're good to go. It's a training issue.

The best part about the AK is the ease of clearing malfunctions, if you can find a way to cause one that is. No "tap and rack" bullshit, just drop the magazine that is in the weapon, and load up a fresh one. Then continue killing zombies. Again, training issue. Different rifles require a 10 minute procedure to clear the malfunctions that happen constantly due to poor designs.

Ergonomics usually means how the rifle fits a person, which is very very subjective. AKs work very well, if the gun is run it like it was meant to be run.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:49 am

Unorthodox wrote:
DavePAL84 wrote:
May I ask why to the top rear of the buttstock and not to the end plate Ala ASAP/DD/Noveske/Tango Down?

Dave may chime back in here, but I know he prefers the extra room "in" the sling by attaching it to the end of the butt stock.

I prefer attaching it to the endplate at the back of the receiver so I can utilize a folding stock. YMMV.
WWSD?

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”