Just a reminder not to forget

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Just a reminder not to forget

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:18 am

This is just a reminder not to forget that, amid all the current turmoil taking place around the country, civil unrest isn't the only threat we need to prep for and be aware of.

Two men arrested after allegedly planning ‘Netflix worthy’ terrorist attack on US in support of ISIS
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Re: Just a reminder not to forget

Post by PistolPete » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:48 pm

You're perfectly right, Fox News continues to be an ongoing threat, like most news stations. :-)
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:07 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:48 pm
You're perfectly right, Fox News continues to be an ongoing threat, like most news stations. :-)
Awareness that we as a country still have enemies out there who are plotting and working towards our downfall isn't a joking matter.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:40 pm

"Netflix worthy" isn't a very high bar. Sure they've got Stranger Things and The Umbrella Academy, but a lot of the rest is pretty lackluster. If they were aiming for "Disney+ worthy" I'd be a little more intimidated.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:27 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:07 pm
Awareness that we as a country still have enemies out there who are plotting and working towards our downfall isn't a joking matter.
In all likelyhood, this was another sting set up on hapless idiots by the FBI. In nearly all of these advertised "terror attack thwarted" stories, the actors have no skills or equipment to do anything until the FBI informant gets involved. It's a fabricated danger to keep up public support for DHS and is so tragic that humor is the only sane response.

The US is not now, nor ever has been in great danger from ISIS. Heck, we even supported a number of groups that became ISIS in Syria and other countries and armed them during the Obama era. The groups that are the biggest threat to American ideals at this point are economic (like China) and domestic groups, not ISIS.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:16 am

PistolPete wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:27 am
NT2C wrote:
In all likelyhood, this was another sting set up on hapless idiots by the FBI. In nearly all of these advertised "terror attack thwarted" stories, the actors have no skills or equipment to do anything until the FBI informant gets involved. It's a fabricated danger to keep up public support for DHS and is so tragic that humor is the only sane response.

The US is not now, nor ever has been in great danger from ISIS. Heck, we even supported a number of groups that became ISIS in Syria and other countries and armed them during the Obama era. The groups that are the biggest threat to American ideals at this point are economic (like China) and domestic groups, not ISIS.
Unless you have proof otherwise, not merely "in all likelyhood", I'm not going to be so dismissive of such threats as you seem to be. 9/11 did happen, the Boston Marathon bombing did happen, the Oklahoma City bombing (never said our only threat was from ISIS or the Middle East) did happen.

I grew up in NYC in the 50s-70s. I remember the bombings and other attacks. I was an EMT in NYC for 14 years and I was one of the EMTs that responded to the shooting attack at the Empire State Building in 1997 (I was on my way up to the Observation Deck to do some sunset/night photography when the shooting started).

Look at the history of terrorism in this country over the centuries and understand that threats come from many different directions.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 pm

PistolPete wrote:
I agree the US is not in great danger from ISIS, but a lot of people could get killed and hysteria whipped up without any real danger to the country.
Last edited by RoneKiln on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:21 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 pm
PistolPete wrote:
NT2C wrote:
I agree the US is not in great danger from ISIS, but a lot of people could get killed and hysteria whipped up without any real danger to the country.
I think you've got some misquoting going on?

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:02 am

boskone wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:21 pm
RoneKiln wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 pm
PistolPete wrote:
NT2C wrote:
I think you've got some misquoting going on?
Thanks. That didn't come out right at all. I've fixed it.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:16 am
PistolPete wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Unless you have proof otherwise, not merely "in all likelyhood", I'm not going to be so dismissive of such threats as you seem to be. 9/11 did happen, the Boston Marathon bombing did happen, the Oklahoma City bombing (never said our only threat was from ISIS or the Middle East) did happen.
I agree that the US now has many enemies who would love to see the US brought to its knees and destroyed. While ISIS may or may not be an issue its followers have not had a change of heart and started singing songs of peace and joy. These enemies lately seem to be internal but again IMO many of these are funded by outside players. Some state, some like bin laden are individuals. All have agendas and many would love to see injury occur to the citizens of the US.

The other risks certainly include weather and fire related risks. The wild fire risks are unfortunately frequently arson although that is clearly not a universal cause.

The reason this site exists is to discuss such risks. They may be remote but as pointed out who on sept 10 would have said there would be an attack.

Wars are fought with the weapons on hand at the start of the war. Disasters likewise follow that same process.

Be prepared. Paranoia and fear should be channeled to productive preparation for likely impacts.
Danger is real; fear is choice.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:42 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 am
NT2C wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:16 am
PistolPete wrote:
NT2C wrote:

I agree that the US now has many enemies who would love to see the US brought to its knees and destroyed. While ISIS may or may not be an issue its followers have not had a change of heart and started singing songs of peace and joy. These enemies lately seem to be internal but again IMO many of these are funded by outside players. Some state, some like bin laden are individuals. All have agendas and many would love to see injury occur to the citizens of the US.

The other risks certainly include weather and fire related risks. The wild fire risks are unfortunately frequently arson although that is clearly not a universal cause.

The reason this site exists is to discuss such risks. They may be remote but as pointed out who on sept 10 would have said there would be an attack.

Wars are fought with the weapons on hand at the start of the war. Disasters likewise follow that same process.

Be prepared. Paranoia and fear should be channeled to productive preparation for likely impacts.
Danger is real; fear is choice.
Or in other words, Just Because You're Paranoid Doesn't Mean They're Not Out To Get You.

Keep your head on a swivel, avoid distraction.
Tony D Tiger

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:36 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:42 pm

Or in other words, Just Because You're Paranoid Doesn't Mean They're Not Out To Get You.

Keep your head on a swivel, avoid distraction.
Yes indeed ... that ...and do think about the likely risks you face and plan accordingly to mitigate the risk.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Return to “Civil Disorder”