Preps for a Contested Election in November

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
M813

Re: Preps for a Contested Election in November

Post by M813 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:24 am

Yeesh...you guys are giving me the willies.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:37 am

At least winter will be here soon. Rioting and looting when you can't feel your toes, and you're not sure which direction you're going because of blowing snow, is kinda difficult.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:55 am

There have been numerous forays into suburbia. That said they have also targeted churches.
https://www.kentuckytoday.com/stories/v ... rest,28730
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

M813

Post by M813 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:35 am

DC businesses are reported to be boarding up windows and door in anticipation of riots from a contested election. Not a real surprise, especially considering that DC is rioting right now because of another POC death.

What *is* surprising, is that business owners stated that the DC government explicitly requested that business owners *not* board up their stores. The mayor's office and MPD stated that there is no credible threat of violence and that boarding up shops will actually cause anxiety among residents and possibly incur looting.

Can you imagine filling out that insurance claim? "Mayor's office said not to take basic steps to protect premises."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:52 am

From NPR: 'Guns, Protests And Elections Do Not Mix': Conflict Experts See Rising Warning Signs - 7 minutes of audioat webpage. A "must-hear" story, imo.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:03 pm

M813 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:35 am
DC businesses are reported to be boarding up windows and door in anticipation of riots from a contested election. Not a real surprise, especially considering that DC is rioting right now because of another POC death.
Same thing happening in St Louis:
https://www.kmov.com/news/nordstrom-rac ... _id=991626
and
https://www.kmov.com/news/local-busines ... _id=985911
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:17 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:52 am
From NPR: 'Guns, Protests And Elections Do Not Mix': Conflict Experts See Rising Warning Signs - 7 minutes of audioat webpage. A "must-hear" story, imo.
Seems pretty typical NPR to me, very one sided. I used to be a regular NPR listener but they got too political after the last presidential election and I stopped listening. I used to like the balance they offered, I listened to a mix of conservative and liberal talk radio so I could understand what the pundits on each side were pushing as a narrative. Although NPR certainly aren't the only news source that went hard to one political side or the other, in the last 4 years, which is why I generally only spend about 5 minutes a day consuming local news and skip the rest of the major news sources. I've chosen to not support organizations that spew propaganda and try to manipulate with fear.

We have to understand and prioritize the possible threats and I'd suggest that news organizations making people afraid enough to act erratically is certainly a threat we face next week. It's best to keep calm, don't give into the hype or attempts to get you to act or be afraid and reach out to your neighbors before a potential disaster. If people come to burn down your block you don't want to have to re-introduce yourself to that neighbor you met 5 years ago when they moved in, but can't quite remember his name.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

M813

Post by M813 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:38 pm

I've got some good personal news...if you can call it that.

I've mentioned several times that my bug-out (if it comes to that) will most likely be by water. The million dollar question has been- Where will I go? Winter is coming. I've secured 2 separate water-accessible places in remote areas willing to host us while I figure out "What next?"

It turns out that one of my good friends has been quietly prepping all along. He never told anyone because he didn't want to be labeled a nut job.

The house is as ready as I could make it for a pro-longed bug-in. If the mobs come roaming, we now have places to go.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:29 am

On the news tonight:

State EOC will be on stand-by:

Unrelated, but less than a mile from my home:

Some of us live in area with actual serious crime problems, but this shit disturbs me. I don't don't want to come off like a whiny *** but this is the third shooting this year with a mile of my home.

Shit like this doesn't sit well with me.

I was recently deposed in this matter: Police charge suspect in death of 19 year old man

It was interesting. I've never been to a deposition before.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:23 am

Don't visit Anchorage in that case.

Last week, we had five dudes shot just around the corner. Drugs? Nope, a beef over a chick. I'll leave the demographics out of it - but this stuff now happen all the time around here.

When moving to the neighborhood back in 1991, it was OK. Been heading downhill for the last 10 years or so.

Trouble is, where would you move to that is "safe" and someplace worth living? I'm still looking....
Last edited by TacAir on Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:42 am

TacAir wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:23 am
Don't visit Anchorage in that case.

Lat week, we had five dudes shot just around the corner. Drugs? Nope, a beef over a chick. I'll leave the demographics out of it - but this stuff now happen all the time around here.

We moving to the neighborhood back in 1991. Been heading downhill for the last 10 years or so.

Trouble is, where would you move to that is "safe" and someplace worth living? I'm still looking....
There is no place truly "safe", as I'm sure you well know. Best we can hope for is someplace "safer" than the last place. It's an eternal quest. Even when you think you've found it, the ugly side of life finds a way to remind you it's still there, lurking. I learned this at an early age, though it took a few decades for the lesson to really sink in. I grew up in NYC, not high class by any means, we lived in a city housing project for awhile, but my step-mother was the nurse at the Metropolitan Opera House, so spent a lot of time rubbing elbows with the cream of NY society while at work. She also spent a few years working as an "on set" nurse in the motion picture industry and had celebrity friends. Accordingly, her tastes were a bit high class (what she saw in my dad I'll never know) so we shopped at the "good" stores and our doctor and dentist both had Park Avenue offices. Our family dentist was in fact a past president of the American Dental Association. Pretty far from the ugly underbelly, right? Wrong. I was just turning six-years-old when a junkie barged into his office looking for narcotics and shot him in the head, killing him. I still remember the blue-tinged hole in his forehead as they wheeled him out. He died in the operating room. The nasty, ugly side is always there, waiting for us.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:53 am

The closer we get to this election the more I wish I'd bought a lot more pistol mags, and that my state allowed me to keep a loaded rifle in the Jeep with me.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:56 am

Not too worried about post-election shi...stuff.

Been well below freezing for some time now and it is snowing today....

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:21 am

Update: The DMPD has a suspect in custody from last night's shooting at the Elk Lodge. The suspect, always, is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:43 pm

Apparently, Walmart has removed guns and ammo from their store displays due to potential civil unrest. If there is a riot, that might make things a bit safer.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:53 pm

So who is packing the car early this weekend in case there are "mostly peaceful festivities" near by? I'll be topping off the gas tank, and putting some snacks and gear in the car. I'll also back up the computer and put some flashdrives in the go-bag. I really should do that more often, but I don't.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:52 pm

I keep Chow, a sleep system, 4 x 1Qt water and other stuff in the Hamstermobile full time; We keep a pair of 'door load' bags with extra Chow and some sleep gear for DW + a full coomo pkg.

The Eurovan is alwaysready to roll, -minus water as it is winter. Fuel, blankets, Chow and cook gear, clothing + all the other stuff to live away from the grid for at least 5 days. We could stretch that to 10+ days if semi-potable water is at hand.

Having a recent 7.2 earthquake in your back yard helps with the DW - when it comes to keeping things in the autos....

Nothing to do with the current kerfuffle, everything to do with the local environment. ,

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Black Beard wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:43 pm
Apparently, Walmart has removed guns and ammo from their store displays due to potential civil unrest. If there is a riot, that might make things a bit safer.
I saw that news story and then I just read this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IKbgO9 ... el=ABCNews

Walmart will begin returning firearms and ammunition to the sales floor beginning Friday after they were temporarily removed amid social unrest, according to a statement from the retailer.

“After civil unrest earlier this week resulted in damage to several of our stores, consistent with actions we took over the summer, we asked stores to move firearms and ammunition from the sales floor to a secure location in the back of the store in an abundance of caution. As the current incidents have remained geographically isolated, we have made the decision to begin returning these products to the sales floor today,” the company said in an emailed statement.

Walmart (WMT), the world’s largest retailer, removed firearms and ammunition from sales floors this week following protests over the police killing of Walter Wallace Jr.

The retailer made a similar decision to pull firearms and ammunition back in June. While firearms and ammunition were not available on the sales floor, they could still be purchased.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Phil
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.

Post by Phil » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:24 pm

We have food to get through the week. A couple big bottle fire extinguishers.
The car has a full tank of diesel, the BOBs are pretty much ready, the cat carriers are ready.
The firearms are clean and fully operational. A few hundred rounds are loaded in strippers and we have boxes of 0000 shot and too much 7/8 shot, just to annoy people and feed ourselves, if necessary.
Here in the city, I'm looking forward to the freeze advisory for the next day, it should keep most of the violent folks indoors.
As for the election, I really don't want the yahoo militia idiots rolling into town and intimidating voters or just being the general hats of arses they tend to be. We can either leave or defend the house against those idiots as well.

Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:02 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:19 pm
Black Beard wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:43 pm
I saw that news story and then I just read this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IKbgO9 ... el=ABCNews

Walmart will begin returning firearms and ammunition to the sales floor beginning Friday after they were temporarily removed amid social unrest, according to a statement from the retailer.

“After civil unrest earlier this week resulted in damage to several of our stores, consistent with actions we took over the summer, we asked stores to move firearms and ammunition from the sales floor to a secure location in the back of the store in an abundance of caution. As the current incidents have remained geographically isolated, we have made the decision to begin returning these products to the sales floor today,” the company said in an emailed statement.

Walmart (WMT), the world’s largest retailer, removed firearms and ammunition from sales floors this week following protests over the police killing of Walter Wallace Jr.

The retailer made a similar decision to pull firearms and ammunition back in June. While firearms and ammunition were not available on the sales floor, they could still be purchased.
Walmart has apparently reversed this decision and is starting to put ammo and guns back on the shelves.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:19 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:53 pm
So who is packing the car early this weekend in case there are "mostly peaceful festivities" near by? I'll be topping off the gas tank, and putting some snacks and gear in the car. I'll also back up the computer and put some flashdrives in the go-bag. I really should do that more often, but I don't.
Right here. I'm in "full swing", probably behind somewhat.

Still I move on.

(motivated emoji)

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:45 pm

I voted early, so my plan is for an extended bug in at worst. Gas tanks are topped off, so is heating fuel. My standard preps allow for three plus months food, meds and sundries. I am expecting civil disturbances, but nothing that will impact me beyond what my present preps can handle.

I could be wrong.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:54 pm

I'm not anticipating anything around here. There's a lot of divided support here, but being a small town the residents aren't given to, er, excesses of protestative enthusiasm. The nearest protests (or "protests", sometimes) have been over an hour away by car.

That said, go-bag's prepped and in the truck, bugout bag's checked and ready, gas is full. Doesn't cost anything but a few calories to be ready.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:22 pm

Daisy Luther (The Organic Prepper), is an interesting breed of cat. Appearently, Selco writes there. Here is his latest: Everything Is Fluid When the SHTF – Including the Rules of Survival

Short, but he hits the target.

Return to “Civil Disorder”